Where Can I Buy A Scythe In Thailand

LUSHGOAT

Ive tried to find the same here, and im sure you mean the long wood with 2 handholds, and a 1 meter sharp steel blade, but it only works good on fresh/new weeds/grass, if the weeds/grass is a little yellow, it wont cut them, thats where the powered strimmer comes in,,

Ive tried to find the same here, and im sure you mean the long wood with 2 handholds, and a 1 meter sharp steel blade, but it only works good on fresh/new weeds/grass, if the weeds/grass is a little yellow, it wont cut them, thats where the powered strimmer comes in,,

yes thats exactly what I mean and the sharpness of this tool can not be underestimated. Hopefully someone will know where to get one. Thank you for your reply.

Never seen one in Thailand. There's an old guy who has a field opposite my house, who grows grass on it solely for his cattle. If anyone needs one he does. Unfortunately he cuts it all by hand, twice a day, using a hand sickle. If he's too ill, then his son-in-law does it using a petrol strimmer with a metal blade on it.

Edited by sinbin

• 10 months later...

Thread revival: most people these days don't know how to use a scythe, so claim that they don't cut . I worked in a team of 10, we had one guy who just sat there an tapped out the edge of scythes all day. he even had a song that went with the rhythm of hammering out the edge... sorry guys, we lost touch.

• 8 months later...

I see I'm not the only one. I used to work with a scythe as a kid and teenager to get food for about 100 rabbits. Would love to have one here. Seems like one should import from Europe and sell it here. Many could make great use of it here. And it's not that difficult to learn.

• Like 1

Just go to your local blacksmith, show him a picture and get him to make one. Thais are used to the smaller sickle which entails bending down, plenty of practise doing that when planting or reaping rice,

When making one, getting the balance right is the difficult bit.

Just go to your local blacksmith, show him a picture and get him to make one. Thais are used to the smaller sickle which entails bending down, plenty of practise doing that when planting or reaping rice,

When making one, getting the balance right is the difficult bit.

A big no no to doing that, not easy at all.
  • Like 1