Where I Can Learn To Drive A Motorbike ?

JohanBKK

Yeah well !! For the OP probably learn to ride a Honda Phantom first then work yourself up to a Harley, hope you have strong legs.:D

The bike Casey rides ain't nothing like a road Harley, a 250RC ain't nothing like a RCV211.

I dare say that tyre profile and composition had a bit to do with the different styles. :rolleyes:

Tyres, totally different compounds now, for sure.

Here's a guy scratching elbows years ago, nothing new just big <deleted>.:lol: .

post-87530-0-87415100-1323935998_thumb.j

Edited by Kwasaki

Yeah well !! For the OP probably learn to ride a Honda Phantom first then work yourself up to a Harley, hope you have strong legs.:D

The bike Casey rides ain't nothing like a road Harley, a 250RC ain't nothing like a RCV211.

I dare say that tyre profile and composition had a bit to do with the different styles. :rolleyes:

Here's a guy scratching elbows years ago, nothing new just big <deleted>.:lol: .

Slow motion high quality video of Stoner cornering

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/23/1143/6/Motorcycle-Blog-Post/Red-Bull-Video---Casey-Stoner-at-1000-fps.aspx

Slow motion high quality video of Stoner cornering

http://www.motorcycl...t-1000-fps.aspx

Yeah !! great skill but what I am saying is look at the lean of the bike and the position of the person, Mc Williams has him beat.:)

I'm not in Bangkok, i'm in Hua Hin. Yesterday i went to town and i asked every shop and every garage where i could learn to ride a bike. They didn't know, they all suggested to buy the bike first or rent one and try it directly on the road...

As i don't even know how to start the bike or change the gears, this is not an option for me.

I also checked the bikes and you guys are right, i will start with a 2nd hand honda phantom first, it's cheaper and i will not be too mad if i break something.

If anyone knows where i can learn to drive a bike in hua hin, cha am, pranburi or this area, please tell me. I could also pay someone to teach me, but i think it's a bad option if i have an accident with his bike.

I'm not in Bangkok, i'm in Hua Hin. Yesterday i went to town and i asked every shop and every garage where i could learn to ride a bike. They didn't know, they all suggested to buy the bike first or rent one and try it directly on the road...

As i don't even know how to start the bike or change the gears, this is not an option for me.

I also checked the bikes and you guys are right, i will start with a 2nd hand honda phantom first, it's cheaper and i will not be too mad if i break something.

If anyone knows where i can learn to drive a bike in hua hin, cha am, pranburi or this area, please tell me. I could also pay someone to teach me, but i think it's a bad option if i have an accident with his bike.

You say you can RIDE a auto scooter, other bikes start up much the same with electric starter, some kick start.

Well why not hire and try a semi auto 125 wave to get use to changing gears, there not exactly the same as a larger motorbike but it would be a start.

Then hire a CBR150 which is small and light, then have a go on a Phantom both of which have a clutch for you to learn to control.

Suggestion !!! Why not ask a motorbike taxi guy to help you, you can then hire a clutch operated bike, if you pay him for his time his got nothing to lose and he can ride it to a quiet road or open space, I'm sure he would help you, whether you speak Thai or not or him English.

You say you can RIDE a auto scooter, other bikes start up much the same with electric starter, some kick start.

Well why not hire and try a semi auto 125 wave to get use to changing gears, there not exactly the same as a larger motorbike but it would be a start.

Then hire a CBR150 which is small and light, then have a go on a Phantom both of which have a clutch for you to learn to control.

Suggestion !!! Why not ask a motorbike taxi guy to help you, you can then hire a clutch operated bike, if you pay him for his time his got nothing to lose and he can ride it to a quiet road or open space, I'm sure he would help you, whether you speak Thai or not or him English.

Bad advice!!! You assume that someone riding a motorbike taxi has any knowledge of how to properly ride a motorcycle on different surfaces at different speeds? And how to utilize the bike's weight to his advantage and how to brake most efficiently? And how to properly negotiate a winding road with different corner angles and geometries? You are very wrong. The OP could be "taught" ideas that may be lethal for him.

CBR 150 is probably the easier of the two with regard to balancing and turning, it's not as long as the Phantom (IMOP I feel like I'm more in control of the CBR). Both are really easy to learn on, I did learn on the CBR :rolleyes:. If a H-D is your dream, go with the Phantom so that you will be used to the posture and handling.

I will go with the phantom yes, but my problem still the same for learn. I can't just go to the shop or to some guy house to buy a bike if i don't know how to ride it to my home in the thai traffic. I never used a clucth on a motorbike, i will need a few hours at least to understand properly how to use it while focusing only on the road.

I will go with the phantom yes, but my problem still the same for learn. I can't just go to the shop or to some guy house to buy a bike if i don't know how to ride it to my home in the thai traffic. I never used a clucth on a motorbike, i will need a few hours at least to understand properly how to use it while focusing only on the road.

Where you live is quite small, relatively.

Solution is easy, Dealers will deliver to your house or if a private sale ask them to bring it to your house or take a mate with a truck.

The best thing to do is book a 2 day course with Honda at Ramkhanhang BKK (weekend. or. week day) . stop in a hotel. And enjoy the course. you get a Thai driving license included. and its all on a specifically built track (off road)

best if you take Someone to translate. But not really necessary.

1st day is theory but most of that. is watching videos. and doing the paperwork for the license.

Edited by thaicbr

The best thing to do is book a 2 day course with Honda at Ramkhanhang BKK (weekend. or. week day) . stop in a hotel. And enjoy the course. you get a Thai driving license included. and its all on a specifically built track (off road)

1st day is theory but most of that. is watching videos. and doing the paperwork for the license.

JohanBKK, if you really are afraid of trying it on your own than you should do what thaicbr suggests. I am sure its a good advise. After learning at Honda you have a basic foundation for the start, theory and practise. Than you should be safe to try on your own.

What ever you do, you should start your first tries on public streets at a quiet place, where no one can cross your way. Ask a friend to drive you to a quiet street/track somewhere in nowhere land. Than just try it. Not so difficult. And don't forget to wear a helmet and gloves and ...

Good luck :D

Bad advice!!! You assume that someone riding a motorbike taxi has any knowledge of how to properly ride a motorcycle on different surfaces at different speeds? And how to utilize the bike's weight to his advantage and how to brake most efficiently? And how to properly negotiate a winding road with different corner angles and geometries? You are very wrong. The OP could be "taught" ideas that may be lethal for him.

? ? ? ? ? sorry Mr. super advance know it all bike riding sir !! " thaicbr " has come up with a great suggestion if he is prepared to travel.

What advice are you offering mush, your missing the point and not offering help of getting a bike to a place where can have a go of the bike not be taught by the guy, his not taking advanced riding lessons.:blink:

A Phantom is just a chicken chaser anyway. :rolleyes:

Edited by Kwasaki

We called today, Ramkhanhang is 1 day course of 6 hours and only on Monday and don't need to book, just be there at 8h30. Is that correct ? Do you know any hotel in the area ? I will go tomorrow.

I went there. Well... i lost my time. The first day is only for scooters... I spent 100 euros for the trip and i know nothing more. By phone they said it was a 1 day course of 4 lessons, i had 2 different thai people to call them to confirm. In reality it's 4 days the course, every monday only.

The first day : Automatic scooter and Honda Wave

Second day : Not sure yet but some people were in their day 2 and they were riding CBR150 at the end of the day

So i will need to come back, again, for the real course. After the 4 mondays you can book a big bike course and rent a CBR1000 for 4000 bahts for the day.

I sold a bike to a woman once and taught her how to ride it in a couple of hours. Once you learn how to stop without stalling you'll be alright. Just remember brakes are on the right side - hand and foot...... and pull the clutch in before coming to a complete stop.

You should come to Chiang Mai and learn to ride while dancing with death on a windy mountain road with no guardrails.unsure.png ...just joking

Well, i will make a trip arround Thailand on my bike once i can ride well enough. I will take the course again on January 9 at Honda Safety, at the end of the day i will know how to ride a CBR150, the basics.

Sad to hear you lost some time and money. But this is Thailand. Its always not easy to do such things here. Even Thai people don't understand each other very often. They speak the same language but do not understand what the other one is saying. This is normal.

Hope the next day will be more interesting for you. Please tell us how it goes on. I am very interested. Maybe i will take some "big bike course" too some day. I never have ridden more than 400cc. Until now this always was enough to get me everywhere i wanted to go smile.png

johan. they also have cbr150's to train on. i know because my gf did the course. contact them again and explain exactly what you want. when my gf did it there was a choice of 1 or 2 day course.

here is the facebook page

www.facebook.com/pages/Honda-Safety-Thailand/133620080031551

website.

www.aphonda.co.th/hondasafety/detail.asp

I was there, not enough motorbikes for all the people. So they are doing it as a 4 day course. The first day no way you can drive a CBR150 even if you are a pro rider on automatic scooters. It's the same for everyone, a thai guy was there also, he bought a ducati monster and wanted to take some class to improve his skills, he was very disappointed with the first day lesson. Anyway he will be back on 9th January for the real class with the clutch and he booked the class for the big bike course where you need to rent a big bike up to 1000cc (CBR1000, Honda Hornet and others), but it's only for people who can already use the clutch and that's not my case.

If i understand well, at the end of the 4 days i will need to come 2 saturdays and they will give me a certificate and a thai license for motorbikes.

It's open only on Monday and the 2nd of January it's close for holiday.

[sad to hear you lost some time and money. But this is Thailand. Its always not easy to do such things here. Even Thai people don't understand each other very often. They speak the same language but do not understand what the other one is saying. This is normal.

Hope the next day will be more interesting for you. Please tell us how it goes on. I am very interested. Maybe i will take some "big bike course" too some day. I never have ridden more than 400cc. Until now this always was enough to get me everywhere i wanted to go smile.png

If you can ride a 400 IMO you would be better off joining up with the guys on here that do trips and ride with them, biker guys are usually only too pleased to help not so experianced guys with improving their riding skills.

The worst that could happen it's you get let behind.biggrin.png

I was there, not enough motorbikes for all the people. So they are doing it as a 4 day course. The first day no way you can drive a CBR150 even if you are a pro rider on automatic scooters. It's the same for everyone, a thai guy was there also, he bought a ducati monster and wanted to take some class to improve his skills, he was very disappointed with the first day lesson. Anyway he will be back on 9th January for the real class with the clutch and he booked the class for the big bike course where you need to rent a big bike up to 1000cc (CBR1000, Honda Hornet and others), but it's only for people who can already use the clutch and that's not my case.

If i understand well, at the end of the 4 days i will need to come 2 saturdays and they will give me a certificate and a thai license for motorbikes.

It's open only on Monday and the 2nd of January it's close for holiday.

The big if for this place is you get a Thai bike license but if you have a bike license from another country, hire a clutch operated bike the smallest you can, in Hua Hin and just try it, it really isn't that difficult.

I take it you can balance on a scoot going along biggrin.png so same for a bike, start by staying in 1st gear and just practice letting the clutch lever out slowly, moving along and then keep on practicing coming to a stop and keep doing that, until you get the hang of it, then when you feel confident enough to change to 2nd, try it in a quiet side road or place you know.