Samsung Gio

Taggart

Looks like I've answered my own question, since I just had a look at the Tesco Lotus site and they sell the Gio there. Surprised at the high price though at 6900 baht. Even compared the price of the Samsung Galaxy S II at 18900 in Tesco Thailand. I can get the same here in Canada from Newegg, "unlocked" for the equivalent of 16,600 baht. Perhaps after tax it will be a bit cheaper in Thailand. Our sales tax rate where I am is 13%.

Still trying my best to learn about the different smartphone frequencies. This isn't easy.

I ended up purchasing a new LG Optimus Chic online here in Canada. It was going for a good price, the equivalent of 1875 baht including taxes. Once it gets delivered I can then get it unlocked through ebay for about 90 baht. When my wife travels back to Thailand next year to see her parents for a few weeks, she'll now have her own phone, without having to borrow from relatives, and I have a way of contacting her by phone. Will have to add Skype to the new phone. Another plus, anywhere she can find a free wi-fi hotspot in Thailand, she'll now have access to e-mail, without having to go out and find an internet cafe. Once she purchases a new sim card in Thailand she'll have

850/900/1800/1900 bandwidths for 3G, so she'll be able to access DTAC and True on 850 MHZ or AIS on the 900 MHZ band.

I ended up purchasing a new LG Optimus Chic online here in Canada. It was going for a good price, the equivalent of 1875 baht including taxes. Once it gets delivered I can then get it unlocked through ebay for about 90 baht. When my wife travels back to Thailand next year to see her parents for a few weeks, she'll now have her own phone, without having to borrow from relatives, and I have a way of contacting her by phone. Will have to add Skype to the new phone. Another plus, anywhere she can find a free wi-fi hotspot in Thailand, she'll now have access to e-mail, without having to go out and find an internet cafe. Once she purchases a new sim card in Thailand she'll have

850/900/1800/1900 bandwidths for 3G, so she'll be able to access DTAC and True on 850 MHZ or AIS on the 900 MHZ band.

3G frequencies are only 900/2100, thus cannot be used with True or DTAC.

Great price though.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_chic_e720-3494.php

3G frequencies are only 900/2100, thus cannot be used with True or DTAC.

It's possible I have a different model from the one shown in your link. According to this review regarding the Bell LG Optimus Chic:

http://mobilesyrup.c...g-optimus-chic/

"The LG Optimus Chic E720b is powered by a 600Mhz processor with 150MB of internal memory, and comes preloaded with Android 2.2 Froyo. This device is compatible with dual band HSPA 850/1900, and quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900 frequencies."

I'm happy with the price. Even better I get a $30 CDN (equivalent to 905 baht) credit for activating with Bell Canada's pre-paid plan. My wife will use that credit up before we unlock the phone.

Another question. Is TOT's 3G service an option to use?

http://www.tot.co.th...mid=123〈=en

The website says they use 1900 MHZ for 3G and for additional information to go to the Thaimobile website, but the url they gave doesn't seem to work?

Tot is almost non existent.. forget it..they have.

850mhz 3 g will get you True (shit company) or Dtac.

I would say Dtac has the strongest 2g network and the fastest Edge connection of the two. But True has better 3g coverage.. depends on where you are.

also it seems that you can buy a Dtac sim at the airport

info here..http://www.happy.co....mid=491〈=en

dtac International Mobile Service Center at Suvarnabhumi Airport,

(Arrival Passenger Hall, 2nd Floor, Gate 7)

Edited by thaicbr

Tot is almost non existent.. forget it..they have.

850mhz 3 g will get you True (shit company) or Dtac.

I would say Dtac has the strongest 2g network and the fastest Edge connection of the two. But True has better 3g coverage.. depends on where you are.

also it seems that you can buy a Dtac sim at the airport

info here..http://www.happy.co....mid=491〈=en

dtac International Mobile Service Center at Suvarnabhumi Airport,

(Arrival Passenger Hall, 2nd Floor, Gate 7)

Thanks. That will help my wife decide when she lands at Suvarnabhumi.

"The LG Optimus Chic E720b is powered by a 600Mhz processor with 150MB of internal memory, and comes preloaded with Android 2.2 Froyo. This device is compatible with dual band HSPA 850/1900, and quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900 frequencies."

This seems to be a modified device. The 3G bands are only 850/1900, the rest are GSM bands which are fine with speech and slow edge internet.

This phone will work with DTAC and TRUE 3G, but 3G will not work with AIS/TOT or in Malaysia and other Asian countries.

Anyway, for approx 2000 Baht it is still a very good deal you cannot get here in Thailand.

Not that it will be any good for my limited band phone, but for future reference there's only one piece of the Thai mobile network puzzle I haven't been able to find. If DTAC and True both use 850 MHZ and AIS uses 900 MHZ, then which network provider in Thailand is on the 2100 MHZ band?

I managed to get the LG Optimus Chic unlocked yesterday from one of numerous vendors here in North America through Ebay, so the Smart Phone is another step closer to being ready to use for my wife on her next visit to Thailand. Not having done it before, I was surprised at how easy the unlocking process was. Cost about $2.50 to the vendor in the U.S., and another $1 to Paypal for the use of their service.