Seeking Information: Airline Ticket Purchases

ivan96822

I am planning on purchasing a Korean Airlines ticket this month (December 2011) for a flight to BKK in June to July 2012. Right now, the price from Honolulu (where I live) to BKK is approximately $1530 US.

That being said, some have suggested that I wait it out. For those of you frequent travelers to LOS, I must ask this: Will the price of the ticket increase the closer I get to June - July? Obviously, I know that purchasing an airline ticket a week before a trip is a silly idea, but would it be safe to wait until, say, March or April and the price will still be $1530 US?

I know that many members on this site have tons of history with the airline industry as well as entering and exiting Thailand....Please let me know. I would love to get the tickets now rather than later, but close friends have suggested that I simply wait.

I look forward to hearing your responses.

I'm in a similar situation, though going the other way (BKK to the US west coast, r/t) in July. Been watching fares slowly drop (not by much) for a few months, but I'm not going to wait past January to purchase - it's too risky for the US peak season (July - Aug) flights. $1530 sounds like a lot, currently Korean Air from BKK to LAX can be had for around $1250.

Orbitz:

China Air (hnl-nrt-tpe-bkk) for $1270 (incl tax & fees) w/ 6hr layover in Taipei.

Leave 6 June return 4 July.

Or

Philippine Air (hnl-mnl-bkk) for $1197 total Layover in Manila is almost 4 hrs.

Leave 5 June return 3 July. Layover on return is 1 hr 40 minutes.

The day you leave and return can make a lot of price difference, as well as the airline.

Flying to the mainland is always cheaper than the islands (fuel needs to be shipped there).

I'm going ATL-JFK-NRT-BKK in January for $1220 purchased off Delta's web site due to a fluke planning a trip via ATL-SEA-NRT-BKK which got re-routed.

Korean Air was around $1800.

It pays to search around. Also, call the airline ans ask if they have any "special offers". Their reservation people can sometimes do great things.

Thanks for the speedy responses....

Rak, I considered flying Philippine Airlines for approximately $1100 but I have heard nothing but horror stories (flights are consistently delayed hours, the lines and logistics at Manila Airport are a nightmare, bribing officials just to get basic services, etc), so I opted for Korean Air...

I did consider China Air, as Pom suggested, but flying from HNL to Taipei, staying over for six hours, then taking another flight to BKK would not be fun. This year, when I went to BKK via Narita, I had to stop over for five hours and was grateful as hell that they served beer at a decent price....Do they got cheap beer in Taipei that can be drank in the airport terminal? Can you drink for free on a China Airlines flight?

With those priorities in place, maybe I can consider China Air? Please respond to any and all of my inquiries....

And yes, many can fly from LAX to BKK cheaper than I can from HNL. As one responder posted, flights from HNL are more expensive for a multitude of reasons.

Thanks again....Looking forward to your responses...

Rak, I considered flying Philippine Airlines for approximately $1100 but I have heard nothing but horror stories (flights are consistently delayed hours, the lines and logistics at Manila Airport are a nightmare, bribing officials just to get basic services, etc), so I opted for Korean Air...

I flew Philippine Air twice this year from SFO to BKK. Not as bad as written above but not that nice either; Interior of plane shabby and stale smelling, IFE not working, cramped seating, mediocure food.

I go back and forth a lot and KOREAN is my favorite, ASIANA 2nd.

I did consider China Air, as Pom suggested, but flying from HNL to Taipei, staying over for six hours, then taking another flight to BKK would not be fun. This year, when I went to BKK via Narita, I had to stop over for five hours and was grateful as hell that they served beer at a decent price....Do they got cheap beer in Taipei that can be drank in the airport terminal? Can you drink for free on a China Airlines flight?

With those priorities in place, maybe I can consider China Air? Please respond to any and all of my inquiries....

And yes, many can fly from LAX to BKK cheaper than I can from HNL. As one responder posted, flights from HNL are more expensive for a multitude of reasons.

Transiting through Manila isn't that bad, since you stay in the terminal, can check out the scenery from the windows. PAL flies from Terminal 2, which is modern and nice. Now I will admit there is a good chance the IFE won't work on the flight. It's happened to me before as well. I hope they've realized the impact to their customers. But the arrival time is pretty good into BKK.

Taipei is pretty nice, much smaller than Narita. Like most airports, food and drinks are more expensive than on the street, but transiting is easy, if not boring. I wonder if you can get a pass to the Aviation Museum? Having layover time is good for exploring and no rush to worry about.

Nice thing about international travel on other than US airlines is you can get more adult beverages in economy.

I keep a variety of entertainment with me, you never know when travel can be disrupted.

What ever you choose, enjoy your trip and remember, travel is always an adventure.

June and July is peak season so it could go either way, my bet is you wont do much better than the current fare.

The consolidator rates will be loaded in the first few weeks in January - I book with Vayama or airline direct.

Is it high season June and July in Honolulu for flights out, because its completely low season in Thailand ??

June and July is peak season so it could go either way, my bet is you wont do much better than the current fare.

The consolidator rates will be loaded in the first few weeks in January - I book with Vayama or airline direct.

Is it high season June and July in Honolulu for flights out, because its completely low season in Thailand ??

High season starts around the beginning of June and lasts until the end of August or middle of September...depending on the airline and the destination. But this is true the world over. Why?? Schools are out and those lucky Europeans are on their 4-6 week yearly holidays!

Transiting through Manila isn't that bad, since you stay in the terminal, can check out the scenery from the windows. PAL flies from Terminal 2, which is modern and nice. Now I will admit there is a good chance the IFE won't work on the flight. It's happened to me before as well. I hope they've realized the impact to their customers. But the arrival time is pretty good into BKK.

Taipei is pretty nice, much smaller than Narita. Like most airports, food and drinks are more expensive than on the street, but transiting is easy, if not boring. I wonder if you can get a pass to the Aviation Museum? Having layover time is good for exploring and no rush to worry about.

Nice thing about international travel on other than US airlines is you can get more adult beverages in economy.

I keep a variety of entertainment with me, you never know when travel can be disrupted.

What ever you choose, enjoy your trip and remember, travel is always an adventure.

Pray tell: What is IFE?