Do Local Bike Shops Change Tyres For Pcx, Cbr Etc

gravion

Hello boy and girls, i am wondering do local bike shops change tyres for pcx, cbr etc.. they seem to only stock common bike tyres?

what would one do if their tyre was punctured on the road, or in the apartment parking????

Also is it easy to modify pcx tyre to be more wider? do u need to chaneg rim as well????

cheers...

Most of those shops would plug and patch the tyre for you, then it's upto you if you want to continue with the plug and patch or replace it at a shop that has the correct size tyre for your bike :)

Depending on the position of the puncture and the quality of the repair, riding on a plugged & patched tyre is fine unless you have something more powerful that's going to stress & heat the rear tyre up alot

Most of those shops would plug and patch the tyre for you, then it's upto you if you want to continue with the plug and patch or replace it at a shop that has the correct size tyre for your bike :)

Depending on the position of the puncture and the quality of the repair, riding on a plugged & patched tyre is fine unless you have something more powerful that's going to stress & heat the rear tyre up alot

u mean they will add air and patch it??? is cbr, pcx tubeless tyres? meaning no need for the air?

Im very newbie at bikes and stuff...

tubeless tyres mean they will never puncture? (i have an image of the whole tyre made out of rubber, is it correct?)

cheerios

u mean they will add air and patch it??? is cbr, pcx tubeless tyres? meaning no need for the air?

tubeless tyres mean they will never puncture? (i have an image of the whole tyre made out of rubber, is it correct?)

cheerios

Wow yer a worry.

cheerios

Tubeless means the tyre has no inner tube (no balloon inside the tyre). Tubeless tyres are very similar to 'tubed' tyres, they are also not solid rubber and so require inflating just like regular scooter tyres.

Tubeless tires are usually repaired by inserting a plug that looks like a strip of licorice into the puncture hole, using a t-handle shaped tool and pushed inwards. No need to take off the tire. But a patch can also be used.

CBR is indeed tubeless. Tubed tires have inner tubes and the entire wheel must be taken off to repair it with a patch, you cant use a plug like the tubeless type.

I dont know why, but a lot of the shops in Chiang Mai won't touch tubeless tires. Even though it's the same removal technique just bigger.

so for tubeless tyres, when the tyre gets stabbed, they just patch that hold and insert air???

Later or so, that patched area will be a weakspot causing sudden punctures while speeding at 80km...?

Plugging and patching a tubeless tyre will never make it as strong or as dependable as it once was.

Depending on the location and size of the HOLE a tyre can be patched and plugged as a temporary measure, a stabbed or slashed trye shouldn't really be patched as too much of the tyre has been weakened, when riding the bike this area of the tyre would be subjected to high stress from various directions.

A small hole can be plugged and patched (as a get me home......) If i was back home in old blightey a popper shop could carry out a vulcanised tyre repair which would last the life of the tyre, i don't trust the shops here in Thailand to do this propperly....

A slash of any shape or form should result in the owner replacing the tyre, if one values their life.

Tubeless tires need a high volume compressor to get the tire bead to seat on the rim. Most shops do not have that equipment, and I've had to have my CBR trucked to a shop when I had a flat in the boonies as the tire unseated from the rim. (If you have a flat on a tubeless tire, get to a shop before it is completely deflated and you might be okay.) If you convert to tubeless, you will need rims that are tubeless-tire-ready and you will have to buy a special valve stem. There are ways to inflate a tubeless tire on a rim using butane but it looks a little dangerous.

Tubeless tires need a high volume compressor to get the tire bead to seat on the rim. Most shops do not have that equipment, and I've had to have my CBR trucked to a shop when I had a flat in the boonies as the tire unseated from the rim. (If you have a flat on a tubeless tire, get to a shop before it is completely deflated and you might be okay.) If you convert to tubeless, you will need rims that are tubeless-tire-ready and you will have to buy a special valve stem. There are ways to inflate a tubeless tire on a rim using butane but it looks a little dangerous.

Anything flammable and a match can create a sudden vacuum and seat a tubeless tyre, not the safest way but.... :)

so for tubeless tyres, when the tyre gets stabbed, they just patch that hold and insert air???

Later or so, that patched area will be a weakspot causing sudden punctures while speeding at 80km...?

I've had two punctures with tubeless tires, including my current Michelins. I ride at 140kph all the time and no air has leaked out since its been repaired. No drop in grip at all.

The plug extends about and inch into the tire and past the rubber, the outer portion will equalize with the height of the tread. My past bike which was also plugged never had any problems after plugging.

If its a round hole a plug is fine, but if it is a slit it should be patched internally.

Always go for the metal type valve stem if you can, it tightens down with a threaded valve stem and nut. The rubber ones are just squeezed in and prone to leak if you 'ride hard' down hill in my experience..

If you ever see a nail or anything else in your tire DO NOT PULL IT OUT...wait till you get to the shop or else the air will leak out very quickly then an there. Any shop can mount a tubeless.