Unable To Get A Thai Visa In Australia

I have had a O-A retirement visa for the past three years. This year, I have had to return to Australia for a short 5 week contract over Christmas, knowing my visa would expire whilst I was away. I had intended to get a three month visa while in Aus, and convert it to a married (to a Thai) visa on my return. (I have 400k in a Thai bank for the required period). The honorary UK consul in Jomtien said this would be the way to go.

Now I find that the remote location I am staying in has no access to postal services whatsoever, and I cannot leave here for the duration of the contract. I guess I will have to go back on a 30 day tourist visa. Can this be converted to a substantive visa when I return? I haven't got a clue how I should approach this, any suggestions?

Thanks

If you have all of the required paperwork, you can enter on a 30 day "visa exempt entry", convert that to a Non-O and extend the Non-O for marriage purposes. Not alll offices will do the "visa exempt" to Non-O conversion,. I don't know if Jomtien will, you might have to do it in Bangkok. Cost of the conversion 2000 baht. Cost of the extension 1900 baht.

Edited by wayned

Jomtien definitely does change of visa status from 30 day stamp or tourist visas to O for retirement extension applicants (that way it is two steps instead of one). Not sure about marriage extensions.

I see a problem with your plan though. I reckon that without ANY visa, you will be denied boarding the airplane in Australia without a return ticket or at least a ticket to a third country leaving within 30 days. I am also under the impression based on reports here that Australian airports are very strict about this.

Edited by Jingthing

Good news about Jomtien. Agree about onward ticket and being refused boarding the aircraft. Seems that the airlines are buckling down. It would be best to buy an onward ticket just in case. The cheapest yesterday was RJ (Royal Jordanian) from BKK to KUL, about 3700 baht, don't know if it's refundable, but can be booked via the net.

Edited by wayned

I'm the OP. Thanks for all the comments, but as an Australian, I am entitled to a 30 day, h'mm not sure what it is called, a 'visa exemption' or something like that on arrival. Thousands of Australians on holiday enter LOS like that, and I don't have a problem entering the country on a 30 day exemption. What I am asking, is how to convert the 30 day thing to a O-A visa, or similar, in Thailand, thus allowing me to apply for the marriage extension.

Thanks

If you have all of the required paperwork, you can enter on a 30 day "visa exempt entry", convert that to a Non-O and extend the Non-O for marriage purposes. Not alll offices will do the "visa exempt" to Non-O conversion,. I don't know if Jomtien will, you might have to do it in Bangkok. Cost of the conversion 2000 baht. Cost of the extension 1900 baht.

Thanks for that, I think you are on the right track. Some posters are now saying I need an onward airline ticket before they will accept me on the flight. Never heard of that before, have you?

Thanks for that, I think you are on the right track. Some posters are now saying I need an onward airline ticket before they will accept me on the flight. Never heard of that before, have you?

There have been many posts on this subject.

Some airlines will refuse passage without a visa or an onward flight.

Thousands of Australians on holiday enter LOS like that, and I don't have a problem entering the country on a 30 day exemption.
They also have an onward ticket within 30 days which it appears you will not have. Airlines can and do sometimes refuse boarding without. You have been warned.

You do not qualify for retirement extension of stay from your OP of only 400k in bank account. The requirement for retirement is 800k. Only Thai Wife extension has the 400k requirement.

To convert to a non immigrant entry you visit immigration, fill out a form and pay 2,000 baht with proof of meeting residence, financials and other requirements for extension of stay. Exact documents will vary by reason but if for Thai wife she will also have to appear and more documents will be required.

If the OP is still in Thailand, couldn't he try to do his visa extension early? I know most offices say you can renew just 30 days in advance, but some permit 60 days, don't they, especially if you can show a good reason why you'll be out of the country at the time the visa expires.

Can someone confirm that the offices that offer change of visa status from 30 day stamp or tourist visa to O as the first step for RETIREMENT extensions ALSO offer that change of visa status for MARRIAGE extensions? I don't know but don't recall reading here that they do. The OP is looking to do a two step process, first step change of visa status to O at Jomtien, second step marriage extension.

Warning again. If you arrive at an Australian airport with a ticket to Thailand with no visa or no air flight out of Thailand within 30 days, there is great chance of being denied boarding. Of course it's no problem getting the 30 day stamp but you need to make it to Thailand first.

Edited by Jingthing

Chiang Mai will definitely convert a 30 day visa exempt status to a 90 day "O" for someone intending to retire. You're told to come back after day 60 of that 90 day "O" visa with all the necessary paperwork for a 12-month retirement extension.

I don't think it's realistic to try to come up with a list of all the Immigration offices in Thailand that will do this either for retirement and/or marriage extensions. This appears to be a policy that varies widely within the country and can change without notice.

Better for someone to mention the Immigration office he plans to visit and ask for a recent report from someone who has been to that office.

Chiang Mai will definitely convert a 30 day visa exempt status to a 90 day "O" for someone intending to retire. You're told to come back after day 60 of that 90 day "O" visa with all the necessary paperwork for a 12-month retirement extension.

I don't think it's realistic to try to come up with a list of all the Immigration offices in Thailand that will do this either for retirement and/or marriage extensions. This appears to be a policy that varies widely within the country and can change without notice.

Better for someone to mention the Immigration office he plans to visit and ask for a recent report from someone who has been to that office.

Indeed, they will. But the question I was answering was about converting to a non-immigrant visa based on marriage.

Oops, sorry, I'm using Hubby's new netbook and didn't realize he was logged into Thai Visa. That's how I posted as "RogerL".

Mario, the OP had said something about retirement visa, although he doesn't seem to have the funds to support one.

But, my major point was to reply to Jingthing's request of a definitive list of which Immigration offices will give a 90 day "O" visa for the eventual purpose of a 12-month extension due to either retirement or marriage.

I know that we westerners would love to see such a definitive list, but I just don't think it's realistic to expect. It will probably come shortly after the Thai government issues an exact and all inclusive list of what constitutes "work" that's not allowed for someone holding a retirement extension to an "O" or O-A visa.

Excuse me, but that wasn't what I was asking for. We know certain offices DO offer the change of visa status to begin retirement extensions. My ACTUAL question was can we assume if an office offers that for retirement extensions that they will also offer it for marriage extensions. Apparently not, so my question was answered. My concern was about POST 2, which seemed to indicate that a change of status WOULD be possible at Jomtien with a marriage extension when I knew only about that service there for retirement extensions. I would be the last person to expect or demand a definitive list of services at ALL immigration offices.

Bottom line, as far as the OP is concerned, we haven't offered him a definitive answer yet whether he can do a change of visa status at Jomtien to begin a MARRIAGE extension.

Edited by Jingthing

Oops, sorry, I'm using Hubby's new netbook and didn't realize he was logged into Thai Visa. That's how I posted as "RogerL".

Mario, the OP had said something about retirement visa, although he doesn't seem to have the funds to support one.

But, my major point was to reply to Jingthing's request of a definitive list of which Immigration offices will give a 90 day "O" visa for the eventual purpose of a 12-month extension due to either retirement or marriage.

I know that we westerners would love to see such a definitive list, but I just don't think it's realistic to expect. It will probably come shortly after the Thai government issues an exact and all inclusive list of what constitutes "work" that's not allowed for someone holding a retirement extension to an "O" or O-A visa.

Hi NancyL, funds are not an issue. I have ample funds in an Australian bank, but the previous three years I have obtained my retirement visa from the consul in Perth. They accepted proof of funds in Australian bank as sufficient. This has now closed. My intention was to obtain a new retirement visa from the office in Sydney while I am in Aus, but because of my remote location, I cannot. I transferred the 400k into my Thai account to meet the requirements of a Thai married visa.

Thanks

Frank

If the OP is still in Thailand, couldn't he try to do his visa extension early? I know most offices say you can renew just 30 days in advance, but some permit 60 days, don't they, especially if you can show a good reason why you'll be out of the country at the time the visa expires.

[/quot

I tried that, my O-A expires January 6th. I went to Jomtien around the 2nd December, (the latest I could leave it), and they said "no".

Excuse me, but that wasn't what I was asking for. We know certain offices DO offer the change of visa status to begin retirement extensions. My ACTUAL question was can we assume if an office offers that for retirement extensions that they will also offer it for marriage extensions. Apparently not, so my question was answered. My concern was about POST 2, which seemed to indicate that a change of status WOULD be possible at Jomtien with a marriage extension when I knew only about that service there for retirement extensions. I would be the last person to expect or demand a definitive list of services at ALL immigration offices.

Bottom line, as far as the OP is concerned, we haven't offered him a definitive answer yet whether he can do a change of visa status at Jomtien to begin a MARRIAGE extension.

I think that you should go back and re-read post 2. I never indicated that the change of status WOULD be possible at Jomtien, I said " I don't know if Jomtien will, you might have to do it in Bangkok". What is your problem?

I tried that, my O-A expires January 6th. I went to Jomtien around the 2nd December, (the latest I could leave it), and they said "no".

That is surprising to me as that isn't very early. Jomtien has been known to welcome retirement extension applications as early as two months early without excuse. I always do mine well over a month early there, no questions asked. Might you have asked an reception type person that wouldn't know? It seems to me if you just had put in the application without asking, it shouldn't have been a problem. Oh well. It is possible they have RECENTLY changed their rules to conform to the general national policy of only allowing one month early, but I doubt it.

Edited by Jingthing

I think that you should go back and re-read post 2. I never indicated that the change of status WOULD be possible at Jomtien, I said " I don't know if Jomtien will, you might have to do it in Bangkok". What is your problem?

I stand corrected. No problem. Cheers.

The OP still doesn't know whether he can do the change of visa status part in Jomtien for marriage. Maybe someone reading this has done that there (or asked) and can say. If entering on a 30 day stamp, that may add some time pressure inconvenience to have to bother with doing the change of status in Bangkok.

Another question is how many days left of stay in the 30 day stamp needs to still exist for a change of visa status application to be accepted. That at least USED to be an issue at some offices.

Edited by Jingthing

That is surprising to me as that isn't very early. Jomtien has been known to welcome retirement extension applications as early as two months early without excuse. I always do mine well over a month early there, no questions asked. Might you have asked an reception type person that wouldn't know? It seems to me if you just had put in the application without asking, it shouldn't have been a problem. Oh well. It is possible they have RECENTLY changed their rules to conform to the general national policy of only allowing one month early, but I doubt it.

Thanks for your comments. The person who told me I couldn't renew my visa was a chubby farang at the counter. I have seen him there before, and think he has some sort of honorary position. What can I do? No point in asking him for advice then ignoring it, I have to believe someone. It's hard to find anyone who actually knows the rules !!

It seems that the Immigration offices like to encourage anyone considering a marriage extension who could meet the requirements for a retirement extension to go that route. At least, that seems to be the norm here in Chiang Mai. I know several people who switched from marriage extensions to retirement extensions once they reached the age of 50. The OP may want to consider moving additional funds into Thailand in order to take what appears to be an easier path to getting a 12 month visa extension.

I believe some replies were made on a mistaken understanding of frankpelagic's situation. Let me see if I get the chronology right, based on his posts.

1. frankpelagic is currently in Australia. His last entry into Thailand was with a non-immigrant visa category O-A, which will expire during his absence from Thailand.

We do not know if this visa was valid for a single entry or for multiple entries, but this is irrelevant now because he has already left Thailand.

2. frankpelagic had to leave Thailand for work in Australia. Prior to his departure, on December 2, he went to the Pattay immigration office in Jomthien to apply for a marriage extension with the required documents, including 400k in the bank. This application was denied.

We do not know if the money had been in the bank for the required two months, but this is irrelevant now because he has already left Thailand.

3. frankpelagic intended to apply for a new non-O-A visa at the Thai consulate in Sydney but because of his remote location he cannot. Therefore, his question -- the only question -- is whether, after his new arrival in Thailand in January, this time without a visa, which will give him permission to stay for 30 days, he can get, at Pattaya immigration, a change of visa to non-O and the marriage extension.

I see that the correct answers have been given about this two-step process of changing from visa-exempt stay to marriage extension. Until about a year ago, the change from visa-exempt to non-O as part of an application for extension was not possible but many offices do it now and where an office has no authority to do it, the applicant will be sent to Bangkok for it. I suggest application within the first week after the visa-exempt arrival.

If they won't convert to non O directly, could he get a 60 day extension for purpose of visiting his thai wife?

After which could he use that type of extension to then apply for 1 year extension for Thai wife?

1. Yes, that is possible.

2. He would still need to convert first to a non-immigrant visa first, before getting an extension based on a Thai wife or retirement.

It seems that the Immigration offices like to encourage anyone considering a marriage extension who could meet the requirements for a retirement extension to go that route. At least, that seems to be the norm here in Chiang Mai. I know several people who switched from marriage extensions to retirement extensions once they reached the age of 50. The OP may want to consider moving additional funds into Thailand in order to take what appears to be an easier path to getting a 12 month visa extension.

Not if you tell them you are considering PR or citizenship, not if you aren't retired and are considering work.

And they shouldn't suggest it for people who are married, as a retirement extension for a person married to a Thai national is inappropriate.