Many Thai Provinces Affected By Current Drought Crisis

webfact

Drought Begins in Many Provinces

Local residents in many provinces are being affected by the current drought crisis.

The water level in natural water sources have been declining rapidly, particularly in the Klong Poh canal, which passes through the Sawang Arom District.

The canal is the major water resource used for planting seasonal rice and secondary crops.

Currently, the water has almost completely dried out of the canal.

The local residents of Bo Yang and Sawang Arom subdistricts have been draining water from the canal into over 2,000rai of rice fields.

In Kamphaeng Phet Province, the cold weather created aridity in some areas. More than 100 monkeys are facing food shortages at the province's Muang District and had to eat grass planted on the foothills to survive.

Meanwhile, the water level in the Chao Phraya River at Chaiyaphum Subdistrict in Chaiyo District of Ang Thong Province has unexpectedly decreased, causing islands of sand and soil to emerge in the middle of the river, which is a telltale sign of drought.

The residents at Jampalor Subdistrict in Muang Ang Thong District found that the Chao Phraya 's river bank eroded by over 100 meters. Residents there have been relocated to safer areas.

The Yom River's water level in the Bang Rakum District of Pitsanulok Province is also down, and almost completely dry at Ban Wangped.

Furthermore, the Nan River is down from 8 meters to 2.5 meters.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-12-13

footer_n.gif

This is what global warming is about : Extremes climates; Water up to your neck one month, no rain for weeks the next.

Get used to it or start doing something about it.

If they have no water now they are in trouble. At least 4 months to the next rainy season.

I live in Singburi province, whilst our village was only partly flooded with the recent drama, a huge area of Singburi was flooded (.Even Yingluck came to have a look).

However the klongs which feed into our land, and the klongs in our 13 rai garden are dry and have been so for some weeks

. I have never seen our lawns dry off so fast as they have done so this last 2 months.

One really wonders at the water management in Thailand, and how the poor farmers are now looking to take another hit.

BAYBOY

Let's see here. Flood, drought, flood, drought............. Hey wait a minute. I think there is a device called a dam, which is known to save water to stop floods, and then release it during drought. Am amazed Thailand is not moving in this direction, as I thought government officials normally love huge projects where they can line up at the trough......

The Bhumiphol Dam is north of Kamphaeng Phet controlling the Ping.. The Sirikit dam is south of Nan and controls that River. Where has all the water gone? Are the dams dry? I don't think so.

We have just experienced, and are still recovering from, the most devastating floods in 50 years and they are now crying "DROUGHT!!"

<deleted> is going on here? Who to believe. Is it possible to have a flood disaster followed immediately by a drought disaster?:blink:

Meanwhile, the water level in the Chao Phraya River at Chaiyaphum Subdistrict in Chaiyo District of Ang Thong Province has unexpectedly decreased, causing islands of sand and soil to emerge in the middle of the river, which is a telltale sign of drought.

It is the word unexpectedly that is the big issue here. We unexpectedly had a flood of epic proportions, and now we "unexpectedly" have a lack of water.

Please don't tell me that the flood was actually caused by the tap being stuck open too long on the dams. There is absolutely no way that this issue should be "unexpected". It is as though no one has ever heard of a rain gauge in this country with enough nous to understand the cause and effect between rainfall and water supply. No wonder they can't understand the Phraer Viharn issue when it comes to talking about watersheds and the such.

I hate to deal in stereotypes, but I am going to stop defending this country when people harp on about the fact that "Thai people don't think past tomorrow".

Best start blocking up all those canals and drains again, dam_n Yingluk let all the water flow out to sea. Instead of taking action against the floods, the government should have been planning for a drought :D Am I serious? probably not just thought I would get in 1st before all the anti redshirt and thaskin haters do and start blaming the government for the drought.

Best start blocking up all those canals and drains again, dam_n Yingluk let all the water flow out to sea. Instead of taking action against the floods, the government should have been planning for a drought :D Am I serious? probably not just thought I would get in 1st before all the anti redshirt and thaskin haters do and start blaming the government for the drought.

Pray, please do enlighten the non believers.

Sorry you cannot have a drought in the dry season. It doesn't rain that much from now until may or june in normal years. I understand a drought to be a prolong lack of water usually starts when rain doesn't appear when it is expected. Sounds like a lack of irragation water due to water not being released from the dams not a drought. Good luck to the hard pressed Thai farmer.

Sorry you cannot have a drought in the dry season. It doesn't rain that much from now until may or june in normal years. I understand a drought to be a prolong lack of water usually starts when rain doesn't appear when it is expected. Sounds like a lack of irragation water due to water not being released from the dams not a drought. Good luck to the hard pressed Thai farmer.

A lack due to the water being kept back? Perhaps they forgot to shut the gates and let too much out causing a tad of flooding down river recently. Maybe the damns have been inadvertently emptied?

Only a month or so ago, the damns were under threat for being over capacity. Maybe Somchai has been told to shut the gates until further notice a month or so ago, and they have forgotten to give him a ring.

In which case they open them up again before rainy season comes :D

The absurdity of Thailands water mismanagement seems to know no boundaries at all.

Get pissed in breweries, and laid in whorehouses can't be used in Thailand, because these are things they are more than competent at.

Maybe the newest saying should be "they couldn't organise a drought in a flood". People really couldn't be this incompetent, ergo, it must be deliberate.

Could someone post a map for all to see of the affected areas?

The flood situation in five districts, namely Thapthan, Huay Kot, Nong Ka Yang, Sawang Arom and Muang, in Uthai Thani Province has eased.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1048179

Sept 2011

Seems they were already underwater before anyone in Bangkok had bought their first set of wellies.

are there 'interested parties' like resort owners/water controllers who 'require' a certain levels to not be exceeded? this is just an UNeducted hunch... but anything is possible aight?

One proessor, during the floods said the dams had more capacity than the height the water had risen to, he even said they are built to withstand FULL, with over topping at the dam, instead of the sluices, and they never did this over topping.

One of the News pictures last month, of a dam, had what looked like buildings on the shore. Why would anyone even be allowed in the catchment area, if they want the water for drinking? only floating structures should be allowed, not land based ones on the shores. just a 'hunch' ... trying to find some 'illogic' in why they don't fill and empty them properly...

are there 'interested parties' like resort owners/water controllers who 'require' a certain levels to not be exceeded? this is just an UNeducted hunch... but anything is possible aight?

One proessor, during the floods said the dams had more capacity than the height the water had risen to, he even said they are built to withstand FULL, with over topping at the dam, instead of the sluices, and they never did this over topping.

One of the News pictures last month, of a dam, had what looked like buildings on the shore. Why would anyone even be allowed in the catchment area, if they want the water for drinking? only floating structures should be allowed, not land based ones on the shores. just a 'hunch' ... trying to find some 'illogic' in why they don't fill and empty them properly...

just get on Google Earth and type Khok Yae in the Search. start with that little patch of forest and just do a hover tour looking for other patches here and there. the whole place is Punked! at least the riversides should get some forests back. and follow the border with Burma,,, green on the left, brown on the right.

The absurdity of Thailands water mismanagement seems to know no boundaries at all.

Get pissed in breweries, and laid in whorehouses can't be used in Thailand, because these are things they are more than competent at.

Maybe the newest saying should be "they couldn't organise a drought in a flood". People really couldn't be this incompetent, ergo, it must be deliberate.

Drought one area to raise the price of your rice from another area,

and flood out your other competitors in yet other areas.

Are they REALLY this competently Machiavellian?

Or do they just try and save their own ass-ets,

and inadvertently screw the whole nation,

as an unintended side effect?