Free Flights On Air Force Planes.

Old Man River

I read this morning in one of the local (Bangkok) newspapers that the birthday flight to Chiang Mai was on a routine weekly flight and no special privileges were extended to the PM's sister. If no special privileges were given, that would mean the flight would be available to everyone, correct?

Does anyone know where and when I can take this weekend's flight?

Public ‘can use Air Force C-130 planes’

Published on November 25, 2005 The Nation

Defence Minister Thamarak Isarangura said yesterday that the Royal Thai Air Force aircraft that media tycoon Sondhi Limthongkul said was used to transport friends of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s sister is sometimes made available for the general public’s use.

Thamarak took the floor to answer an interpellation from Democrat Party deputy leader Alongkorn Pollabutr regarding allegations that the Air Force allowed Thaksin’s sister, Monthatip Kowitcharoenkul, to use the C-130 aircraft to transport her friends to her house-warming party in Chiang Mai.

Alongkorn asked what criteria the military required to allow the general public to use the state aircraft.

“This particular incident aroused the suspicion of taxpayers. It was interpreted as abuse of the individual’s privileges because despite being the sister of the prime minister, she does not hold a state position,” Alongkorn said.

Sondhi initially brought the public’s attention to the issue with a copy of an official document that suggested that Air Force chief of staff Air Marshal Sukamphol Suwannathat had approved Monthatip’s use of the plane.

Thamarak said all Air Force cargo planes are used regularly to fly to the North and northeastern provinces twice a week to transport supplies.

“If there is space left on the plane, friends and relatives can board the aircraft but they cannot take any legal action in the case of any fatalities caused by an accident,” he said. He added that anyone could seek the Air Force’s permission to use the plane and that the approval of such a request would be based on seat availability.

Alongkorn questioned whether the Air Force had really approved Monthatip’s request, suggesting that military friends of Thaksin could have used the Air Force’s official stationery.

Thamarak said he had ordered an investigation into the use of official stationery and added that anyone found to be abusing official resources would be punished.

DEFENSE MINISTER: THE USE OF C-130 AIRCRAFT WAS IN LINE WITH REGULATION

Defense Minister General Thammarak Issarangkul Na Ayudya (ธรรมรักษ์ อิศรางกูร ณ อยุธยา) insisted that the general public can board the Air Force’s aircrafts, if spaces are available. Democrat MP Alongkorn Polbut (อลงกรณ์ พลบุตร) posed a question during the parliament session yesterday on the use of public properties for personal purposes, which refers to the use of C-130 aircraft to transport people to attend the Prime Minister’s sister’s birthday in Chiang Mai, adding that such use of the aircraft is inappropriate.

General Thammarak responded to the question, saying that C-130 aircrafts have to fly regularly to ensure that the engines are functioning normally; therefore, the people outside the Air Force can request to board the aircraft is there are spaces available.

General Thammarak said that those who want to travel with the C-130 aircraft must sign a contract with the Air Force, accepting any possible losses that may occur.

General Thammarak said that students from Class 46 of the National Defense College had asked for permission to use the aircraft, citing their need to attend group activities in Chiang Mai. He said that the students did not state that they were going to attend the birthday party. He added that the names of those traveling with the aircrafts can be made public, because the matter is not confidential.

General Thammarak emphasized that the use of the aircrafts were in accordance with the regulations.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 25 November 2005

The opposition should get random teams of middle to lower class Thais and go to various airfields and see just how many flights they get on, I bet they don't get on any, they probobally won't even be allowed past the checkpoint!

I wsould say anyone can use these plans provided they are connected, not nessesarily through government, but military, airforce etc etc.

I doubt many peasant farmers would get on one!

Well I've often seen people wearing civies having parties aboard navy patrol boats around the Rayong area... so maybe it is just the armed forces trying to help people enjoy Thailand.

About 5 years ago my grannie went from Scotland to Oz on a navy boat for free, or next to nothing, seems you just have to ask! She wants to do it again next year at the age of 95.

I wonder how many free flights and cruises are available.

I wonder if as they are prepared to release the names of the people on that flight , they are also prepared to release the manifest for that flight - or if that is a national security issue , just the number of tonnes of supplies that were on the "routine" mission.

it makes you wonder about these kee neow mega rich folks - you'd think the cost of a small bmw was petty cash to them.....

DEFENSE MINISTER: THE USE OF C-130 AIRCRAFT WAS IN LINE WITH REGULATION

Defense Minister General Thammarak Issarangkul Na Ayudya (ธรรมรักษ์ อิศรางกูร ณ อยุธยา) insisted that the general public can board the Air Force’s aircrafts, if spaces are available.

<snip>

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 25 November 2005

Perhaps they meant General? :o