Many Injured As Train Hits 9 Cars At Bangkok's Asoke Rail Crossing

webfact

If the accident happened during evening hours, why was the "railway official" waving a red flag and not a red lamp? Why were cars "parked" (stopped) on railway tracks when the warning lights were flashing? Silly questions of course. T.I.T.

However these accidents also happen in other countries with supposedly more sophisticated warning and gate systems.

I hope the train driver is OK and also the idiots in their cars, stopped on the tracks, who were injured.

Have you ever been to that intersection? There are cars stopped on the tracks 90% of the day.

Usually, the police at Petchaburi / Asoke intersection let the lights run to clear the traffic enough to get the traffic off the tracks and the gates across. They must have been asleep.

I like your post script. At last, someone who can spell!!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah,

So it's the heavy traffics fault, the train drivers fault but not the IDIOTS driving the cars!!! cheesy.gif

Oh I know! those 9 cars didn't have a buddha image in them, right?

Problem is what do the drivers do when they are faced with a red light in front and they are actually on the crossing before the warnings are given?

This is part of the reasons that the trains will stop for the traffic over here and the reason they guy is on the tracks with his red flag/torch. I would put this down to traffic mis-management more than anything else.

not many but most if not all Thais cant drive !

they have no notions of rules of the roads not to mention they have no driving skills they get their driver licences as a prize in a rice box or by showing cash to the so call "officials" who would be stupid enuff to wait ON the teacks at a railroad crossing ???? LOL

<deleted> me it aint rocket science is it, you dont enter the rail area until your exit is clear, unfortunately with the childish I must be first/in front/cant wait selfish attitude here they get what they deserve. Tomorrow it will all happen again, in fact theyll even sit in the crossing eyeing the burnt out wreckage because of course "it weill never happen again".

Many Thais dont know what or how to use a roundabout/island/junction/traffic light so they will have zero ability to undertsand the yellow diagonals which I assume were painted on the road here? That said they dont know in the UK half the time and when you wind down your widnow as you try to cross the blocked road pointing it out you get every name under the sun, thats why im such a "people" person.

Yellow diagonals DO NOT ENTER unless your exit is clear ( in the Uk unless you wish to turn right then its ok)

Basic common sense and self preservation denotes that you dont try to cross the tracks unless you can be sure you get to the other side. Drivers in Thailand are often unaware of what is going on around them and dont give consideration for other road users. Dont blame the train driver, he cannot stop like a road vehicle, blame the ones who will not see the light of day again.

I dont suppose there is lesson to be learnt here though do you?

Maybe there should be a guy with a red flag walking in front of every train?

Thats nice, lets kill all the guys with red flags!

Surely the train driver had an element of training before jumping into the cab. Did the car drivers?

Enforce proper driving tests/standards and heavily fine or imprison those that flaunt the law.

1. This should be a no-brainer money making scheme for the government (if they knew how to teach such things)and especially the BIB if enforced correctly.

2. Maybe just maybe it would also reduce some fatal hazards, accidents and fatalities nationwide.

I hope all involved recover well and quickly.

First, there is no evidence thus far that the train driver was drunk. Someone talking to a Songtaew driver doesn't count in this case.

Second, it's not always possible to prevent getting stuck on the tracks. I TRY to make sure the way is clear before proceeding, but I've had cars and motorbikes quickly pull in front of me taking that nice little clear patch on the other side of the tracks and leaving me sitting smack dab on the middle of the tracks.

Trains are not normally held responsible for accidents with vehicles at crossings. A train is very difficult to stop.

I try to make sure I can get over the tracks, but that's not always possible in BKK traffic.

THat is patently nonsense - train drivers are frequently to blame - usually by ignoring a signal.

you also admit that you are one of the driers who "finds" themselves on a crossing - you are in control of the car and you made that judgement....same as all the others - so how much are you to blame?...or is it as others would have us believe - that only Thai drivers are stupid?

" Drivers in Thailand are often unaware of what is going on around them and dont give consideration for other road users." - quoting nong 38

Edited by cowslip

Easy just impose 100,000 baht fine for stopping on the railway lines enforce the law a few times nobody will do it again. I can't say I feel sorry for the drivers of the cars it's their own fault juat imagine if it was a farang driver he would be in jail for damaging the train.

so I thane it you have NEVEr driven in Bkk -especially over a railway?

I bet if a falang was involved in this accident, somehow in the strange way the Thai legal system operates, he would be to blame for this accident.

Thais only need to pay a small fee and can get a lifetime Thai drivers licence without any idea about about road and traffic rules.

This is why things like this happen.

The operative word in my post is 'normally'. Trains usually have the right-of-way over cars. Ignoring a warning light by a train driver is an entirely different issue. Trains are neither easy to get moving, nor easy to slow down.

First, there is no evidence thus far that the train driver was drunk. Someone talking to a Songtaew driver doesn't count in this case.

Second, it's not always possible to prevent getting stuck on the tracks. I TRY to make sure the way is clear before proceeding, but I've had cars and motorbikes quickly pull in front of me taking that nice little clear patch on the other side of the tracks and leaving me sitting smack dab on the middle of the tracks.

but earlier you said you HAD got stuck? didn't you?

Also te problem with the driver is not whether or not he was drunk - it is that this crossing ALWAYS has cars on it and he as the train driver should/would know that - so why didn't he react according;ly?

Som nam na. Personally I wouldn't care what color the traffic light was if there ate cars in front of me and I couldn't clear the tracks I would wait all day rather than stop my car on RR tracks with no way exit what are you effin kidding me?! Blaming the train driver nope it's just common sense something that is lacking here with most drivers. I would agree with the other posters who rightly point out that Thais behind the wheel are extremely selfish and just plain idiotic drivers.

Som nam na. Personally I wouldn't care what color the traffic light was if there ate cars in front of me and I couldn't clear the tracks I would wait all day rather than stop my car on RR tracks with no way exit what are you effin kidding me?! Blaming the train driver nope it's just common sense something that is lacking here with most drivers. I would agree with the other posters who rightly point out that Thais behind the wheel are extremely selfish and just plain idiotic drivers.

saying som nam na to someone who was brutally hurt in an accident seems a bit cruel. you must be a real Scrooge.

Actually the report I read today is that six cars were hit and two bystanders slightly injured.

This is an extremely busy intersection on a seldom used rail line which does not have priority over vehicles. Those on the tracks had no choice as it is not a restricted area in any sense - that trains are still allowed to enter central Bangkok on grade crossings is the issue - not the car drivers trying to get home after a days work. As a red flag was displayed it was clearly the fault of the train (either driver or equipment) that a stop could not be made as this is not a county junction but one of the most busy auto crossings in Thailand and always approached at slow speed.

Because it is the way it works in the city. Cars stop on tracks, and it is very hard to avoid.

People also get stuck in any other intersection.

Is it really hard to avoid? No, it isn't!

It's just because the super selfish drivers/people here! Every f..ing time they block every intersection where possible. If they just only let a 2 meter space between them and the car in front, other people can get through. But noooo, that would mean that I need to let go someone first is it!

If you are driving in BKK I think you will agree with me. Maybe there are some other countries where it's more worse, but most of the traffic problems getting worser due to the selfish people here. If you come from an U-turn or whatever it's difficult to get in the moving line. They just won't let anyone get in. As a reaction you need to up your agressive driving skills in order to get your car in the moving line, which is not helping in the total picture.

Ever noticed how Thais parking their cars in a parking lot? Do they follow the white arrows? No, they don't. They will just drive anywhere it pleases them. And if they are on their wrong way and another car is coming their direction, it's: cotood krab (I'm sorry). And they expect that is enough and it makes it ok. Well, Thai people if you are reading this. It's NOT ok! Just follow the rules and white lines. Is that so hard to do? I know, if you do it might happen that someone else get a parking spot first. We can't let that happen, can we??? Just f...ing grow up, will you!

Can you make the habits of Thai drivers better? Yes, you can, but that requires law-enforcement (ENFORCEMENT!) :annoyed:

So probably this situation will not change in the coming hunderd years here :(

Was this off-topic? I don't think so. The accident just happened, because the selfish driving here, nothing else. Don't tell me that the situation of stopping on the tracks is un-avoidable, because it's not ok. If everybody follow the law, lines and give way to other people, it would improve the situation tremendously. No, the traffic jams will not be solved, but it will help a lot with other traffic, which then can follow their way in stead of being blocked all the way.

I'll leave it at this for now. And don't get me started about the total chaos when I drove back to my BKK home end last month!!! It took me more than 5 hours to cover the stretch from Tammasat University to the beginning of the elevated tollway. It was total chaos and no police in sight to control what so-ever. By the way, where were the police during the floods anyway? Ok, that's another topic.

Above all is besides the fact (yes, fact!) that 98% of all Thai people can't drive/park properly!

A clearly annoyed driver!

Because it is the way it works in the city. Cars stop on tracks, and it is very hard to avoid.

It's just because the super selfish drivers/people here! Every f..ing time they block every intersection where possible. If they just only let a 2 meter space between them and the car in front, other people can get through. But noooo, that would mean that I need to let go someone first is it!

If you are driving in BKK I think you will agree with me. Maybe there are some other countries where it's more worse, but most of the traffic problems getting worser due to the selfish people here. If you come from an U-turn or whatever it's difficult to get in the moving line. They just won't let anyone get in. As a reaction you need to up your agressive driving skills in order to get your car in the moving line, which is not helping in the total picture.

Ever noticed how Thais parking their cars in a parking lot? Do they follow the white arrows? No, they don't. They will just drive anywhere it pleases them. And if they are on their wrong way and another car is coming their direction, it's: cotood krab (I'm sorry). And they expect that is enough and it makes it ok. Well, Thai people if you are reading this. It's NOT ok! Just follow the rules and white lines. Is that so hard to do? I know, if you do it might happen that someone else get a parking spot first. We can't let that happen, can we??? Just f...ing grow up, will you!

Can you make the habits of Thai drivers better? Yes, you can, but that requires law-enforcement (ENFORCEMENT!) :annoyed:

Was this off-topic? I don't think so. The accident just happened, because the selfish driving here, nothing else. Don't tell me that the situation of stopping on the tracks is un-avoidable, because it's not ok. If everybody follow the law, lines and give way to other people, it would improve the situation tremendously. No, the traffic jams will not be solved, but it will help a lot with other traffic, which then can follow their way in stead of being blocked all the way.

I'll leave it at this for now. And don't get me started about the total chaos when I drove back to my BKK home end last month!!! It took me more than 5 hours to cover the stretch from Tammasat University to the beginning of the elevated tollway. It was total chaos and no police in sight to control what so-ever. By the way, where were the police during the floods anyway? Ok, that's another topic.

Above all is besides the fact (yes, fact!) that 98% of all Thai people can't drive/park properly!

" If they just only let a 2 meter space between them and the car in front" - OK how many cars in Bkk - a million? so how many metres of road is that?

not sure if it can be totally blamed on being selfish and wanting to be first, the concept of consequence really doesn't exist in the their realm. One would think this would be a wake up call, but I doubt it. It's not the police's fault, it's the stupid people that "park" on train tracks. It might be time for the police to "impose" on the Thai people and enforce the laws that are designed to protect everybody. We have the right to a safe environment, and I believe that is the job of the police to ensure that, but I could be wrong.

this is clearly a case of "seeing" but not understanding. The poster just thinks that if he repeats the word "Thai" it makes sense.

We need to stop assuming that things here are the same as they are in the West. In the UK if you hear the sirens/bells telling you a train is coming, you get the HELL away from the tracks, as the trains usually go past at over 60mph (used to be 90mph, and at smaller crossings in the middle of nowhere they would not slow down at all and go past at 125mph), and they ain't stopping! Also, the trains tend not to have crossings at busy traffic junctions, for safety reasons.

However, returning to Thailand, it is very common at a busy junction with a railway crossing over it, for traffic to get stuck on the tracks - and they don't get much busier than the junction at Asok/Phetchaburi, where there are cars stopped on the tracks almost constantly during busy hours.

The train is supposed to stop and wait as the cars get out of the way (it can hardly go around the cars - the only control its driver has, is over its speed). That's what the guy with the torch and red flag does at the junction - tells the driver of the train to stop or go.

In this case the guy with the flag was waving frantically telling the train to stop - and people here are blaming the cars?

I was at the junction as they were still clearing the line last night, about an hour after the incident. More telling to me was that the song-taew driver I spoke to said that the train driver was probably drunk. If that were the case, would people here still blame the cars' drivers?

Yes, because the driving rules are clear; no stopping on a railway line.

The other posters are right.

" If they just only let a 2 meter space between them and the car in front" - OK how many cars in Bkk - a million? so how many metres of road is that?

Duh, I'm talking about a 2 meter space at an intersection!

"Every f..ing time they block every intersection where possible. If they just only let a 2 meter space between them and the car in front, other people can get through."

I think it's time to stop blaming the driver's.. train or car.. and start blaming the government for not building an overpass or underpass at this intersection. After all, Asoke / Ratchadapiesek is one of the Busiest Roads in Bangkok, and that Intersection just beside the Subway is just crying out for the Government to do something about all the Safety concerns.. but not in Thailand.. where the well-being and welfare of the People come dead last!

Let them walk in the Gutters.. that is where they belong... Is the prevalent attitude of all Thai Governments.

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

We need to stop assuming that things here are the same as they are in the West. In the UK if you hear the sirens/bells telling you a train is coming, you get the HELL away from the tracks, as the trains usually go past at over 60mph (used to be 90mph, and at smaller crossings in the middle of nowhere they would not slow down at all and go past at 125mph), and they ain't stopping! Also, the trains tend not to have crossings at busy traffic junctions, for safety reasons.

However, returning to Thailand, it is very common at a busy junction with a railway crossing over it, for traffic to get stuck on the tracks - and they don't get much busier than the junction at Asok/Phetchaburi, where there are cars stopped on the tracks almost constantly during busy hours.

The train is supposed to stop and wait as the cars get out of the way (it can hardly go around the cars - the only control its driver has, is over its speed). That's what the guy with the torch and red flag does at the junction - tells the driver of the train to stop or go.

In this case the guy with the flag was waving frantically telling the train to stop - and people here are blaming the cars?

I was at the junction as they were still clearing the line last night, about an hour after the incident. More telling to me was that the song-taew driver I spoke to said that the train driver was probably drunk. If that were the case, would people here still blame the cars' drivers?

Yes, because the driving rules are clear; no stopping on a railway line.

The other posters are right.

Clearly this poster doesn't know Thailand very well! - "Yes, because the driving rules are clear;"