Teaching Of English To Be Ramped Up: Thailand

webfact

"Some days we play a game where i say something in Thai and then i make them try and figure out what the heck i said and repeat it back to me in English....not sure who has more fun, me or the students"

Somehow this GAME seems like a perfect idea. Also "FUN" and "figuring it out" is very important. Nice job !

There are many retired English speaking expats here in Thailand who would gladly teach conversational English at their local school on a volunteer basis..........oh, that's right - farangs with retirement visas can't get work permits and you can't do volunteer work in Thailand without one. My bad.

Some of us are even retired teacherscool.gif

Some older teachers can be the best. I would sugest allowing Non O/A visa holders to work as English teachers providing they are qualified.

I doubt volunteering would last long term as teaching is so much work. I really believe that having some ability to speak Thai (L2) can at least help gain credibility with the students.

Learning a second language is often very difficult. If the NES teacher has taken the time to learn Thai, he / she knows how to diagnose many of the problems all Thai speakers have (so easy).

As opposed to a simple TEFL course purhaps a more challenging TESOL or CELTA course and conversational Thai should be encouraged.

Thai is missing several sounds that English has. Grammar is always secondary to successfull communication but should not be ignored.

Most lessons should have some element of speaking, listening reading and writing (at some level) if possible.

I would consider working 10 or 15 hours a week if it was possible on a retirment visa.

It still amazes me that such emphasis is given to learning English as a second language in Thailand. I know this is going to rattle the "English" teachers cages, but give me a moment.

I regard this as akin to me being forced to learn French as a secondary language at school in UK; it never worked for me or anyone else that I knew for that matter. That is the same basic reaction you are getting from the Thai kids.

And before we get to the point that English is necessary for communication in the modern world, how many of these kids are going to be exposed to this? How many of the Thai kids that can't afford the so called International schools here in Thailand are going to land jobs where this communication is required? If the child is smart enough, and knows where they are going, then English is the option. Again, to me, Chinese would probably be a better option for a second language or another Asian language.

To me, more time should be spent on giving this future generation a guide towards a trade skill, and leave English optional. After all, the majority will be working in Thailand when they leave the educational system.

There are many retired English speaking expats here in Thailand who would gladly teach conversational English at their local school on a volunteer basis..........oh, that's right - farangs with retirement visas can't get work permits and you can't do volunteer work in Thailand without one. My bad.

Some of us are even retired teacherscool.gif

Some older teachers can be the best. I would sugest allowing Non O/A visa holders to work as English teachers providing they are qualified.

I doubt volunteering would last long term as teaching is so much work. I really believe that having some ability to speak Thai (L2) can at least help gain credibility with the students.

Learning a second language is often very difficult. If the NES teacher has taken the time to learn Thai, he / she knows how to diagnose many of the problems all Thai speakers have (so easy).

As opposed to a simple TEFL course purhaps a more challenging TESOL or CELTA course and conversational Thai should be encouraged.

Thai is missing several sounds that English has. Grammar is always secondary to successfull communication but should not be ignored.

Most lessons should have some element of speaking, listening reading and writing (at some level) if possible.

I would consider working 10 or 15 hours a week if it was possible on a retirment visa.

It still amazes me that such emphasis is given to learning English as a second language in Thailand. I know this is going to rattle the "English" teachers cages, but give me a moment.

I regard this as akin to me being forced to learn French as a secondary language at school in UK; it never worked for me or anyone else that I knew for that matter. That is the same basic reaction you are getting from the Thai kids.

And before we get to the point that English is necessary for communication in the modern world, how many of these kids are going to be exposed to this? How many of the Thai kids that can't afford the so called International schools here in Thailand are going to land jobs where this communication is required? If the child is smart enough, and knows where they are going, then English is the option. Again, to me, Chinese would probably be a better option for a second language or another Asian language.

To me, more time should be spent on giving this future generation a guide towards a trade skill, and leave English optional. After all, the majority will be working in Thailand when they leave the educational system.

I think the observations in your final paragraph are very interesting. While I applaud the desire to provide greater education to more of society I do sometimes wonder where all the jobs are for all the graduates now coming from Thai universities. Without adequate jobs, where they can use their newly learnt abilities, surely they feel disaffected and start to question the people in government who created the situation. Not an idea much favoured in Thailand.

I used to watch English lessons for Thai's on Thai TV (taught by Thai teachers). What a riot, beatter than most stand up comidy shows.

On the other hand it would be just as funny (or more) if I were to try and teach Thai.

Also I don't see a problem with teaching British or American English or a combination. My 2 children in America are exposed to British English all the time. One favorite show is Kipper the Dog for example.

Second language learners do not need to somehow aquire a perfect accent. They need a variety of sources to learn from.

It's amazing how much content is online nowdays. I think the tablet idea is a good one.

You can always do it privately.

One needs to remember that as the current M.O.E. curriculum stands there is a requirement of only twenty (20) hours of any foreign language in each semester, hardly enough time for the students to actually open their text books let alone speak the language.

The abysmal salary levels for both foreign and Thai teachers is hardly a plus factor in situation either. Coupled with the fact that in the main Thai English language teachers are mainly grammar fanatics and are unable to actually speak English is also a detrimental fact. The very idea that a Thai student should or would actually ask their Thai teacher a question borders on blasphemy too.

The other sticking point is the agency system so favoured by the schools for assorted reasons !!!

There are a few good agencies around, however in the main the greater majority of these agencies employ unqualified uninterested people as teachers,.Pathetic pay rates, no work permits, no health care or assistance in visa matters, no paid holidays hence the transient nature of the white presumed English teacher.

There has got to be a major rethink of matters which will take some years to come to maturity if ever it does as this is Thailand and the idea of an educated workforce is a worrying matter to those in positions of power.

Until such time as money is spent oin the right areas and teachers both Thai and foreign are accorded both the respect and the resources that should have nothing will change,

Multi media classrooms, decent text books not third rate copied rubbish we so often see, decent internet connections a decent reading programme and a halt to the mindless rules concerning the length of a students hair, the inane dress codes etc

The ending of the school directors narcissist self adulation pettifogging rules and the You love me parades would indeed be another step in the right direction along with an honest grading pass or fail system.

I can recall the proud boast of a school director in Lad Krabang when he told me his office cost over two million baht to furnish, yet the school had no internet connection the swimming pool and the was ruined, the school library was half empty of any books and this was is a supposed leading school in the area.

Sadly I don't think it will ever change, too many people see their positions of self perceived importance at risk they won't see their little empires fall whole idea of bringing the Thai education system up to scratch is but a narcotic induced dream

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

American is a dialect so is British.

The teachers also need to decide on if they are gonna teach American English or British English, as some problems in Grammar could occur, although most of us understand both dialects, some people don't.

When I was teaching in Slovenia, we had the problem of English grammar and spelling versus that of the United States. It was decided to accept either from the students but not a mixed hybrid.

Incidentally Americans speak American, not English, English by simple definition is the language spoken by English people, just as German is spoken by Germans and Italian by Italians. English is not a dialect although there are many English dialects both in Britain and around the world. Note that if we defined English by a majority dialect, then Indian English would be the de facto standardcool.gif

It is incredible snobbery to state that only persons from England speak English. What language is spoken in New Zealand, Australia or Canada? Do only Spaniards speak Spanish? If so, what is the language of Guatemala, Chile, or Argentina? Language evolves. You present a view that your language should be the property of a group of islanders that know its "proper usage". Complete rubbish. By the way, I agree that your definition of the English language is simple.

I'm sorry if you see my comment as snobbery, and yes most living languages evolve. The English of present day England is not the same as that of Shakespeare and different yet again from that of Chaucer. Most languages start as a creole, English is no exception it has Latin, Germanic and some Celtic roots. Most languages exist as dialects, sometimes these dialects converge, as they are doing in modern Britain, at other times they diverge, as they are doing in Australia and the USA. In the case of North American English, apart from a simplified spelling system and vocabulary variations, the main difference is in the usage of weak and strong verbs. Indeed modern N.American English is closer to the British English of the early colonial days. Thus English people, and only English people speak modern English as their mother tongue, Americans speak a form of English that diverged from British English about 400 years ago. If it were not for modern communications this divergence would have resulted in a new language, related to English yet different, just as Spanish, Italian, Romanian and to a lesser extent French evolved as separate languages from the original Latin. I do not see Italians claiming that Spaniards speak a dialect of Italian, although they have common roots. Modern N.American has common roots with British English, but it is not English although it has not yet diverged enough to be a separate language, yet I would hesitate to call it just a dialect. I suspect in time it will end up as a creole based on English and Spanish.

I'm a bit dumbfounded by this concept of American's speaking "American" and not English. In fact in America it's kind of a cliche of a dumb American to have them say "I speak American." instead of "I speak English."

I have tons of English speaking friends from all over Britain, Australia etc and we have no problem understanding each other. Sure there is the random word that is unfamiliar but that's resolved pretty easily by the context in which it is used. The point is, we are all speaking the same language.

I'm also with others that have dismissed the entire debate of whether you should teach British or US or any other version of English. The vast majority of students in Thailand will be doing fantastically if they can just learn the very basics of the language. The variants in the language are very tiny issues in this stage of learning the language. Talk about putting the horse before the cart.

• Like 1

I think it would help immensely, at least in the many schools such as the public school I have seen, if either English were an elective subject after the first several years, or if there were honors classes for the more interested and able students.

In schools such as this, by the time students are in Mathayom level, their abilities span a range from those who still do not know the alphabet and cannot read, to those who are fairly skilled. It's really not fair to either group to have them all in the same class. Those who are behind need remedial classes if they are going to learn. And those who are ready, willing and able to learn at an accelerated level deserve the chance to do so, and not be held back by the slower learners. I think best-case scenario, there would be remedial classes for those who haven't learned and need to catch up a bit, "normal" speed classes for the average learners, and "honors" classes for those that are interested and able to learn at an advanced rate.

I think a day a week for teachers and students to use English is a nice idea, but I seriously doubt it will be an effective way to achieve the goal in a few short years. It will take much, much more than that. Teacher incentives is something, that if taken seriously, would result in higher pay for capable teachers, and teachers that are getting results. Also, the all-pass system is clearly no incentive for students to learn.

I could go on, but...... coffee1.gif Your turn.

This I agree with.The remedial class is a good concept and would work to help slower students get up to speed. It would also work to help improve behaviour issues. If a kid misbehaves and refuses to study/participate then they get extra lessons in the special class.

The problem is one of face and greng jai. The parents would lose face if their children were to be put into a special class.The teachers would not want to cause the parents to lose face, especially in a fee-paying institution.

I find it increasingly difficult to understand the American version of English, not because of grammar or vocabulary but simply that of diction. I don't mean accent but simply the pace and style of delivery.

I think it is great the Thai's are trying to learn English, but unfortunately I can't be in favor of the "how" part.

I was born, raised and have lived the majority of my life in Colorado U.S.A. Therefore English is my first language, and the only language I am real fluent in.

I met a man on the street in Bangkok the other day. He was trying to make conversation in English, with a heavy German accent. No problem, I'm happy to talk with just about anyone. While exchanging pleasantries through heavily broken English he told me he was working in Thailand, paid by the government as an English teacher. I raised my eyebrows, smiled and moved on. I was shocked. I couldn't hold a conversation with this man and yet, he is a paid English teacher. I feel sorry for his students, who will someday find out how worthless it is to try and learn English from someone who can't speak it.

"I think it is great the Thai's are trying to learn English, but unfortunately I can't be in favor of the "how" part.

I was born, raised and have lived the majority of my life in Colorado U.S.A. Therefore English is my first language, and the only language I am real fluent in."

Thais do have a joke about Americans. " In what country do they only speak one language?" Guess where......jap.gif

Edited by sirchai

I find it increasingly difficult to understand the American version of English, not because of grammar or vocabulary but simply that of diction. I don't mean accent but simply the pace and style of delivery.

Pace and delivery changes have made lots of money for many musicians - just a thought.