What To Do When You Have Wrongly Been Given A Ticket By The Traffic Police?

mrgreg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome in Curruption Country. When you farang morons finally learn: you have one right here and one only: P A Y ! !

See it as a direct way of paying tax: police has the unwritten right to distort money from everyone, and as farangs have so much money they get a hart attack of it., for sure farangs are more in sight than ordinary Thais.

Once a French friend of mine got a fine.. because the police officer could not see his eyes through the wind shield he had on his motor bike helmet..

Go in court? You as farang are guilty by the only fact you entered the country of smiling .. Whatever. Take care you are not fined for the flooding of Krung Thep.

When you do not like it: leave this country. Oh, your money, investements etc .. are the heritage of the Thais anyhow.

I took my losses in 2006 and left, together with nearly all my business.

So why do you bother still reading Thai Visa?

Get stopped all the time mainly or riding my bike where I shouldn't... Had the same problem on the New Petchburi road in my car last year, accused of crossing a solid white line when I hadn't. No point arguing the toss, put 200 under the officers ticket pad & got on my way again. I would suggest you eat some humble pie, get down the station & pay the fine soonest.

I always get off my bike, make them wait whilst I make my bike safe (taking my time), step off the bike and remove my helmet. Then I give them a BIG smile and ask them what is wrong. About 50% start mumbling and you can normally protest your innocence about this time. The other 50% aren't going to be swayed by a positive manner so I offer my licence with a B100 note next to it. In about 90% of these cases this is accepted. Any attempt for more will be met with "I don't have any more money with me today, write me a ticket". I have paid 3 fines greater than B100 in 3 years and that is riding a motorbike in Bangkok (like hell I'll stay in the left hand/suicide lane).

There is one more thing of note though. My bike is a 7 year old, beaten-up, Suzuki 125. Most of the time I think the police feel sorry for me as their own bikes are often nicer smile.png

Perhaps you've been lucky, but I wouldn't do this. What if you meet an honest cop who gets offended and books you for bribery? Believe it or not there are honest cops around.

One time I was booked for going up a one-way street the wrong way and I didn't have my licence on me. He wrote me a ticket for both offences (about 650 at that time) and allowed me to ride my bike down to the station to pay it. He made it quite clear that he was an honest cop and not out to get Farang.

On the other hand you could also meet a cop who was offended by such a small bribe.

Overall I think it is bad advice.

It is NEXT to my driving licence. It is there choice to ignore it or take it. It is not illegal to carry your money where-ever you want.

simple answer when pulled by traffic police .

have 200 bht at the ready.

i was once pulled for jumping a red lite ,

when i had taken off , on a green light,

along side thais on scooters , who were not wearing helmuts .

not worth argueing , you wont win,

just pay up ,and smile .

TIT :jap:

I'm normally anti authority but I agree, the amount of hassle for 200 baht is just not worth it. I hate paying money for nothing but I think there are bigger things than this to be losing sleep about. Sorry

Other than for military duty quite some time ago, I first returned to Thailand as a guest of the Thai Senate. Driving around Victory Monument one day, a bus cut me off, forcing me to swerve and stop to keep from getting hit by it. I pulled back into the lane after and continued, and a cop stopped me for being in the wrong lane.

I called my friend, whose father-in-law was the president of the Senate and who was his chief of staff. I gave the phone to the cop who went ashen, not saying a word. He motioned to his boss, a young cop who sauntered over and gave me an evil look. He slouched and took the phone from the junior cop. As he listened, I could see his body slowly come to attention, his eyes wide. He nodded vigorously, said one or two words, then gave me back the phone, saluted me, and emphatically motioned for me to proceed on my way.

I laughed about it for quite some time after that.

sounds like a pointless waste of a favour to me.

I didn't realize that there was a quota on favors.

You're kidding, right?

It is NEXT to my driving licence. It is there choice to ignore it or take it. It is not illegal to carry your money where-ever you want.

I don't know where you live, but I don't think 100 baht will cut it in Pattaya anyway. Either way I'm not going to try it. If I break a road rule I'll accept the ticket and pay it at the station. I prefer not to feed the vultures.

Other than for military duty quite some time ago, I first returned to Thailand as a guest of the Thai Senate. Driving around Victory Monument one day, a bus cut me off, forcing me to swerve and stop to keep from getting hit by it. I pulled back into the lane after and continued, and a cop stopped me for being in the wrong lane.

I called my friend, whose father-in-law was the president of the Senate and who was his chief of staff. I gave the phone to the cop who went ashen, not saying a word. He motioned to his boss, a young cop who sauntered over and gave me an evil look. He slouched and took the phone from the junior cop. As he listened, I could see his body slowly come to attention, his eyes wide. He nodded vigorously, said one or two words, then gave me back the phone, saluted me, and emphatically motioned for me to proceed on my way.

I laughed about it for quite some time after that.

Nice for you, sadly most foreigners here do not have your connections.

I have never understood the compulsion for people to drive vehicles when an alternative form of transportation is available; in BKK you got taxis, motorcycle taxis, etc and why would anyone want to pilot themselves around in the crazy traffic if this is the case?...crazy assed drivers and crooked cops and the list goes on, <deleted> wantin' to steal yer hubcaps and your stereo...other than for yer weekly grocery shop whadaya need a car for anyway?

I live in a small country town and we have an old minivan purchased from the BMTA about 5 years ago and there is always someone around to drive, usually to do a big grocery shop or to go to Ayutthaya once a year for immigration business...I've never been behind the wheel in 10 years of living in Thailand and don't intend to be...I get in the back with my drink and my wife and the kids and moooove on down the road...life couldn't be any better...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

There was a police set up checking people were not jumping lights. I carried on through with 4 seconds of green light left, but the police took my licence anyway. Back at the station I asked if could see the video of me jumping the lights, they said I could but if I did and I was wrong I would have to pay 1000baht and retake my test after being banned for 13 days. I then asked the officer if I was right would he be banned and fined (smile on my face), he then came back and said the camera wasn't working.

Another 400 baht lost but he put it down to a lesser offence so it wouldn't show up on my licence because we both knew I was right and he was quite a good laugh. There was another time when an officer said I was going slightly over eighty and he has had me for speeding before so he kept pretending to hit me with his clipboard and saying "naughty man, naughty man" He asked for 100baht which I paid and was probably worth it for entertainment value.

You can't win just pay.TIT.

I don't know where you live, but I don't think 100 baht will cut it in Pattaya anyway. Either way I'm not going to try it. If I break a road rule I'll accept the ticket and pay it at the station. I prefer not to feed the vultures.

Bangkok, 3 years. I have to say that I am slightly more cautious around Sukhumvit, Rajdamri, Pratunam and Phaya Thai as they are better equipped to deal with foreign issues (therefore this won't really cut it in Pattaya or Phuket). I think a LOT comes down to attitude in this. I ALWAYS start with a helpful, friendly attitude and see if they reciprocate. In all this time (and averaging a stop every month means that I have probably been stopped 30-40 times) I have been hugged (seriously...in PinKlao), saluted, apologised to, fined, rarely ticketed and only once told to go to the police station (Khao San and, sitting with the station commander, STILL paid B100). Please understand that the B100 is next to my licence in a plastic wallet. There is no evidence to say that this is there for bribery, but it is amazing how often the fine is "magically" B100, but no ticket issued. Officers following the line of the law tend to ignore it and carry on how they were going to anyway.

On another aside I have been asked on quite a large number of occasions why I am in Thailand. My reply is incredibly disarming. I am here with my wife who is teaching in a Kindergarten. They ask if my wife is Thai. My answer is "No, English" followed by showing them a photo of my wife on our wedding day. Now we have a beautiful baby girl I have another photo to soften the heart of the most resolute police officer. The more adventurous might want to "borrow" my story and just use a photo of a western female friend?

Really what I am saying is that it is best to offer them many avenues to take. I present the option for friendly dialogue, a fine or to let me go. It is amazing how often this attitude works in my advantage. Over the years I have been fined around 50% of my stops and ALWAYS for "Jit Sai!". B100 for my own safety on a motorbike....that's cheap.

BTW I have even been fined B100 at a desk, at the side of the road in Nonthaburi, whilst all the Thais around me were being fined B200. He kept asking me for more money and I just told him, with a smile, that I would gladly pay the fine at his police station tomorrow, but the rest of my money was at home, in Bangplad. He asked me why and I told him that I had simply popped out and I only had the B100 I keep for the next tank of fuel. Finally he chose the B100 over the ticket and B400 (that wouldn't make his pocket). I offered him the legal option and he refused. Game over. When I walked away I could just hear the words "Farang, Song Roy Baht" from a number of Thai mouths. Talk about cat amongst the pigeons. I promise that I kept my "pissed off" look until my helmet was back on and I was rolling again smile.png

Small edit. I have a friend who tells any officer stopping him that he has to take a photo of their police number as he has been told to document ANY interaction with the police for his embassy. Apparently he has NEVER been fined. I REALLY don't have the balls for this one though!

Another small edit. Please remember that I ride a beaten-up 7 year old Suzuki Best 125 with all the stickers removed (the rear light is held on with Duct tape). If I was riding a new Honda Sonic or PCX I think I would rarely get away with my routine.

Edited by draftvader

I have never understood the compulsion for people to drive vehicles when an alternative form of transportation is available; ......................................

I live in a small country town

LOL. Just as difficult to comprehend why someone would want to live in a small country town. No wonder you don't understand.

post deleted...no sense in replying to dumbshit posts; makes me look as dumb as the previous fellow...

LOL again! You deleted your flame post and replaced it with another flame. Could you PM me the deleted version - I'd love to see it.

There was nothing dumb about it. People who like to live in small country towns never seem to be able to comprehend why others prefer to live in fast paced cities and drive vehicles there.

The thing is, I do understand why you don't drive and like to live in peace in a small country town. It's a shame you cannot understand city dwellers.

post deleted...no sense in replying to dumbshit posts; makes me look as dumb as the previous fellow...

LOL again! You deleted your flame post and replaced it with another flame. Could you PM me the deleted version - I'd love to see it.

There was nothing dumb about it. People who like to live in small country towns never seem to be able to comprehend why others prefer to live in fast paced cities and drive vehicles there.

The thing is, I do understand why you don't drive and like to live in peace in a small country town. It's a shame you cannot understand city dwellers.

sorry, didn't mean to flame, I've enjoyed your posts in the past...

but, I don't understand the need to drive in a big city where alternative forms of transport are available...in the country the choices are limited and a car many times is necessary to get around...and when we talk about crooked cops, thieves, crazy drivers in BKK, etc I woulda thought taxis and etc would be the preferred mode of transport...

btw, I'm looking to buy a new pick up as our old van is on its last legs and we've had business to do recently in BKK and Ayutthaya and transport was a hassle...I'll buy the fcukin' thing but I won't drive it...the wife and her daughter have expressed an interest in learning plus there are loads of BiLs already available...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Here in the Netherlands I pay a lot of tax to keep the police-dept up-and-running. In Thailand driving a motor-bike for 15 years for the first time I was stopped for so-called red-light ignorance. To be short, I paid Thai-tax on street level (200 baht).

but, I don't understand the need to drive in a big city where alternative forms of transport are available...in the country the choices are limited and a car many times is necessary to get around...and when we talk about crooked cops, thieves, crazy drivers in BKK, etc I woulda thought taxis and etc would be the preferred mode of transport...

For example, in my neck of the woods (Pattaya), unless you live on a baht bus route public transport can be problematic. I'm not far from Walking Street yet I can't get a baht bus or bike taxi without a long walk. In addition to that, if I do find one they are too expensive as they are looking to fleece tourists. My own transport is absolutely essential and not an option.

There are plenty others in the same postion, especially on the dark side.

Edited by tropo

For example, in my neck of the woods (Pattaya), unless you live on a baht bus route public transport can be problematic. I'm not far from Walking Street yet I can't get a baht bus or bike taxi without a long walk. In addition to that, if I do find one they are too expensive as they are looking to fleece tourists. My own transport is absolutely essential and not an option.

There are plenty others in the same postion, especially on the dark side.

Having lived on the Darkside I agree that transport can be a problem from 11pm - 4am but the local motosai taxis are familiar with the residents and don't overcharge. It was quite easy to get a few of their phone numbers for impromptu calls (even at unearthly hours) or set a time/place for pre-arranged pickup. On my road the local taxis wouldn't even charge for short hops as they knew we were repeat business.

Edited by SimonD

Having lived on the Darkside I agree that transport can be a problem from 11pm - 4am but the local motosai taxis are familiar with the residents and don't overcharge. It was quite easy to get a few of their phone numbers for impromptu calls (even at unearthly hours) or set a time/place for pre-arranged pickup. On my road the local taxis wouldn't even charge for short hops as they knew we were repeat business.

In that case our situations are way different. In my area there are thousands of tourists (mainly Russians) to prey on so they're not concerned about locals. Even if I was interested in finding one I'd have to walk about 1km to get one.

It also makes sense that if one relies on motosai taxis to get around you may as well ride your own bike. Most of the guys are maniacs.

Edited by tropo

In that case our situations are way different. In my area there are thousands of tourists (mainly Russians) to prey on so they're not concerned about locals. Even if I was interested in finding one I'd have to walk about 1km to get one.

It also makes sense that if one relies on motosai taxis to get around you may as well ride your own bike. Most of the guys are maniacs.

But then you cant drink.. or at least i would not drink and drive i know many expats think its acceptable but i think its one of the lowest crimes there is.

But then you cant drink.. or at least i would not drink and drive i know many expats think its acceptable but i think its one of the lowest crimes there is.

Good point. I've never given it a second thought as I don't drink.

It would be crazy riding around Pattaya drunk - it's dangerous enough sober.

Edited by tropo

Good point. I've never given it a second thought as I don't drink.

It would be crazy riding around Pattaya drunk - it's dangerous enough sober.

Driving drunk is always crazy, i drive my bike a lot but never when i drink. I dont drink that often so its not a problem.

What To Do When You Have Wrongly Been Given A Ticket By The Traffic Police ?

OP it's interesting all the many different opinions, whether you were wrong or not, is a bit of roundabout and swings here, the way I see it anyway IMO, still a bit like the wild west is my favorite description, pay up is what I do, I would be disapointed to see Thailand to go the way of the western world.

What To Do When You Have Wrongly Been Given A Ticket By The Traffic Police ?

Smile, tell him you don't have......200, 1000 or 300 Baht........But you have 100 Baht........Then bitch to the wife about Thai police......and get on with my life!

Ok today, I travelled 400 miles from Preston to Oxford and back. I paid £78 pounds GBP for a full tank of Diesel. Travelling from Preston just 20 minutes later I was in a control 50mph zone, with cameras all over me. (If I went above the average speed, this would be a minimum fine of £60 GBP). I paid £5 GBP or there abouts on the M6 toll road. To be met at the end by Active Traffic Management (again more fines if I was stupid enough to drive faster than 40mph on a motorway). 3 hours later I repeated my insansity releaved of a around £100 in cash including pit stops.

In Thailand I can drive from Pattaya to Chaing Mai for £30 GBP and pay the coffee money of 3 Policemen for that too.

Now let me ask you which country is more corrupt. Without a doubt UK.

Ok today, I travelled 400 miles from Preston to Oxford and back. I paid £78 pounds GBP for a full tank of Diesel. Travelling from Preston just 20 minutes later I was in a control 50mph zone, with cameras all over me. (If I went above the average speed, this would be a minimum fine of £60 GBP). I paid £5 GBP or there abouts on the M6 toll road. To be met at the end by Active Traffic Management (again more fines if I was stupid enough to drive faster than 40mph on a motorway). 3 hours later I repeated my insansity releaved of a around £100 in cash including pit stops.

In Thailand I can drive from Pattaya to Chaing Mai for £30 GBP and pay the coffee money of 3 Policemen for that too.

Obviously you have no idea what corruption is. I liked your knowledge on the credit card issue. But here you show ignorance.

Your comparing price levels now of things. Corruption is getting a ticket when you did not do a thing or paying of a copper to avoid a fine. It might work out cheaper in Thailand then in the UK but that has nothing to do with corruption.

I wish the coppers here would do some real policing and get all those dangerous anti social drivers here instead of lining their pockets with easy corruption money.

• Like 1

Please let me know when you are doing that trip, and I'll keep my car with my kids in it off the road.

Corruption allows morons to, well, drive like morons. Which is all well and good until your car is totaled by one.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/429603-driver-of-sedan-in-bangkok-horror-road-accident-was-a-16-year-old-girl/

Welcome in Curruption Country. When you farang morons finally learn: you have one right here and one only: P A Y ! !

See it as a direct way of paying tax: police has the unwritten right to distort money from everyone, and as farangs have so much money they get a hart attack of it., for sure farangs are more in sight than ordinary Thais.

Once a French friend of mine got a fine.. because the police officer could not see his eyes through the wind shield he had on his motor bike helmet..

Go in court? You as farang are guilty by the only fact you entered the country of smiling .. Whatever. Take care you are not fined for the flooding of Krung Thep.

When you do not like it: leave this country. Oh, your money, investements etc .. are the heritage of the Thais anyhow.

I took my losses in 2006 and left, together with nearly all my business.

So why do you bother still reading Thai Visa?

Everybody ventilates even you it seems so let the guy have his moment.

I think since the police themselves break the law atleast 10 times a day by drinking when driving, drinking while on duty etc etc then it's fair to say that your morals and ethics are of no use to a cop so don't even argue with the guy, they simply don´t care what happens to you.

Since Thailand is ONLY for Thais thus farangs or other foreigners can´t become Thai citizens without being filthy rich, you won´t have a fair trial or much of a chance to argue your case.

Pay up and don´t make the u-turn at that place again...