Applications For Permanent Residency Open Until 30 Dec.

Does anyone know when you finally have this permanent residence status, that you are required to stay a minimum amount of days within Thailand in a calendar year or you lose it again? This is maybe an odd question, since you want to have this status to stay here, but I see myself going abroad again for longer than a year and coming back to Thailand. It would be worthless if you lose it again just because of "overstaying abroad".

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe few where approved, but the process was practically at hold and last years no applications where accepted. So this years opening could mean they are working on the older applications.

This is a joke anyways. 100 peoples. as usual, Thais including Thai government like to copy, and all is an illusions, without any substance and quality

Just to clarify this, it's 100 people from each nationality.

and how many farang have ever got this kind of status?smile.gif

I got it 15 years ago. For that year a grand all up total of 5 people, for all nationalities, were approved.

Luckily at that time you didn't need to read or write Thai but you did need to be able to ask and respond to about 10 simple questions about simple aspects of everyday life. Also, the fees were much less, 1,000Baht to lodge the application, and 25,000Baht on issue of the PR book.

There will always be folks who say it's not worth the hassle or the cost, that's their assessment .

Personally I am very glad I got it, for the peace of mind of not having to worry about being separated from my Thai family.

Edited by scorecard

Too bad the official announcement is in Thai language .... I dont know much Foreigners who can read thai ....

I think If you want to apply for permanent residency, you must be able to read and write Thai.

Probably part of the vetting process.....wink.gif

Does anyone know when you finally have this permanent residence status, that you are required to stay a minimum amount of days within Thailand in a calendar year or you lose it again? This is maybe an odd question, since you want to have this status to stay here, but I see myself going abroad again for longer than a year and coming back to Thailand. It would be worthless if you lose it again just because of "overstaying abroad".

Unless it's recently changed, you lose Thai PR status:

1. If you gain a criminal record in Thailand or any other country.

2. If you are outside of Thailand for one block period of 365 days or more it's gone, and there is no appeal process. Outside up to 364 in one block period and your OK.

Edited by scorecard

One weeks notice and to prepare, I get the feeling that they are not really serious about accepting permanent residents and it is just a token gesture. The Thai olympics, On your marks, get set, oh sorry to late. Why not run a competition? In two (2) words or less explain in detail why you would like to be chosen to become a permanent resident of Thailand.

if you are serious about it getting PR, it is no great secret that applications are generally taken in the second half of each December.

More like the specialOolympics. If the Olympic Games had events in incompetance, bodging, not being able to think for yourself, walking like a bell-end and dribbling, this country would scoop the majority of gold medals.

One weeks notice and to prepare, I get the feeling that they are not really serious about accepting permanent residents and it is just a token gesture. The Thai olympics, On your marks, get set, oh sorry to late. Why not run a competition? In two (2) words or less explain in detail why you would like to be chosen to become a permanent resident of Thailand.

WOW The generosity of the Thai government knows no bounds, only few day to prepare and apply and only 100

out of the many hundred of thousands foreigners having made Thailand their home. winning the lottery jack pot has better chances to get one..

Except for perhaps Indians and Chinese, the 100 per nationality cap is very rarely tested.

And for those married to a Thai, the skip PR direct to citizenship route is an option if you are working.

You have to report to the police with your PR-book every 5 years and will need a kind of re-entry permit if you want to leave the country and keep your PR. You further have to be back in Thailand within 1 year of leaving Thailand.

It's really not that hard if you can speak and read some Thai, and know a bit about Thai society and history. You'll be interviewed live, and videoed, which is a bit unnerving, and there is a simple test in Thai of your knowledge of key aspects of Thai society and history. Obviously, you must pass a background check from your home country, and have a clean record in Thailand. We found the officials involved in the process very sympathetic and helpful. One word of advice: dress like a winner, not a down-and-out loser, be patient and respectful, don't try to bully anyone about your "rights", and your chances will improve. First impressions are really important. Agreed that the waiting is the worst part. It seems to take ages to get a decision.

It is normal for the Immigration Dept. to announce an opening on short notice near the end of December, so you have to prepare in advance.

Every year there are people who show up unprepared, and all they can do is get ready for a possible submission the following year.

if you visit the PR office to find out what you need, they will give you the list of requirements (bilingual with English) and can help you determine exactly what you need.

You can go back and show them what you have, and ask their advice whether it will meet their requirements.

Keep in mind that even though it has met this person's approval, after submitting the documents, they might make you submit more.

If you go in to their office in late NOV early DEC, they can often give you an indication whether they will be opening applications for PR or not.

If you come from a Western country, it is unlikely that you will have much competition for those 100 spots, but if you come from a country like India or China, good luck.

As I mentioned, I've had PR since 2004. I started collecting information in 2003. They require quite a lot of information, and sometimes it takes a long time to arrange.

The requirement will change also depending on the basis on which you are making your application (the usual: marriage to a Thai, expert, investor, family etc.)

REQUIRED:

The holding of a Thai visa continuously for at least 3 years (extended on a yearly basis)

You have to have some fluency in listening to Thai and need to be able to speak Thai. (Reading and writing required for Citizenship, not for PR)

A video interview in which the Immigration officer asks you to explain about yourself, and asks questions to which you have to provide answers. The recorded interview is provided to the evaluation committee.

No criminal record in your home country. Police in your home country have to provide evidence that you do not have a criminal record (this takes the longest to obtain). To start the process, you go to the national police HQ in Bangkok, and they take 2 complete sets of fingerprints, and you can send one set to your national police in your home country. A return a document certifying no criminal record.

I am an expert in agribusiness, and had BOI support for years before I got my PR, so they wanted all my educational and work details.

I am also married to a Thai, and we have 3 children so they want all the details of course, including translations of all foreign documents.

Example of requirements I had to meet - translation of advanced education certificate (have to have the real official one to provide a translator).

A reference letter - I had an official in a government ministry that I had known for a number of years prepare a reference letter validating that I was indeed an expert in my field, and explaining the nature of my work and its importance to Thailand.

A portfolio of photos showing details of my life in Thailand. Pictures required of my residence, and taken at my place of work with explanations. Pictures I submitted included pictures with company executives

I had pictures of my house, and they said I had to submit a picture with my family taken in front of the house to prove it was my house (????)

I took them a bunch of pictures, expecting them to select a few, and the officer just took the whole portfiolio.

Plus all the usual stuff

marriage certificate

birth certificates of children

income statements certified by my company (My wife and I were in the Immigration office one time when a man asked how they would pick between two equally qualified candidates, and the reply was - the one with the highest salary)

official bank statements

proof of payment of income tax in Thailand

etc. etc. etc.

Then I got a 3-month stamp in my passport saying that my visa was extended while my application was being considered.

There was another 3-month "under consideration" extension.

Then after approval, you have to provide payment of 95,000 baht (married to a Thai), or 196,000 baht (other reason).

The PR dept. gives you a letter of approval which you have to take to your local police station where you reside.

The police issue a red book "Certificate of Alien Registration" (which has to be issued within 7 days of receiving the letter).

You take the red book back to Immigration and they issue a blue book "Certificate of Residence) which you can put away if you never leave Thailand.

However, if you leave Thailand you have to have a "Re-entry Visa" and an "Endorsement" in your Certificate of Residence book, which is valid for one year. With a multiple re-entry visa, this sets you back 5,700 baht every year.

Endorsements can not be done at the Airport.

If you leave Thailand, you have to return within the validity of the endorsement to have it renewed, otherwise everything is cancelled. Every time you leave Thailand, you have to have the book available on exit and entry into Thailand, and it is stamped along with your passport.

If you have a PR and you absolutely have to leave Thailand without this book, everything will be cancelled.

I was leaving for Vietnam one time and forgot my book, so I had to delay the flight to the next day.

I was leaving for China, one morning, and didn't realize my endorsement had expired, so I had to cancel my flight, go to the Immigration headquarters that day, get a new endorsement, and fly out the next day.

After all of that ---- YOU STILL NEED A WORK PERMIT TOO !! (The color of the book changes).

could it be the government needs to raise money? with so many expats already living here for quite a while anyway why not raise the numbers?

While a 100 per nationality doesn seem much, it does seem to be enough. A 100 persons per nationality has never been met, with maybe the exception of Chinees and Indian nationals.

Anyone the slightest bit interested in obtaining Permanent resident status will have investigated this long ago, been aware that applications are accepted sometime in December, and be fully aware of what documents etc are required.

More relevantly is the fee that needs to be paid if one is accepted. Almost 100,000bt if married and 200,000bt if not.

Enough to put most people off I suspect!

What I know is that you must have at least a visa based on married to a thai national for more than 3 years!

I never heard about language tests in writing or spoken, but I could understand it.

With the thai letters are quite hard to learn at least some language knowledge should be there.

We do expect the same in our countries.

At the end it just doesn't matter....once retired you have time to do the annual extension.

Being a thai resident does give you nearly nothing....there is no social network....or do you want to end in a public hospital?

You will anyway never be able to vote...

At that point most of us have already property and house written on the wife or kids....

I applied for Permanent Residence in December 2007 and am still waiting for my approval letter. i have passed all the requirements and my application is waiting to be signed at the Interior Ministry. Same goes for 2006 applicants. The required documents take 3 months or so to get but I think you can apply this month and then submit the missing documents at a later date.

There is an interview in Thai but it's not difficult: Where do you live? Where do you work? etc, etc. You are not required to read and write Thai.

See the pinned topic for a full rundown on how to get PR.

There is a lot of useful information above, including from Marcati (thanks for the exact official requirements).

The red Certificate of Alien Residence book issued by the police is valid for one year on first issue, but extended after that in 5-year periods.

So the first year if you need to renew an endorsement to travel outside Thailand, it is better to renew the red book at the police station first( it will expire a week before your endorsement if you did your re-entry visa on the day your Certificate of Residence was issued).

There is no need to notify Immigration about subsequent red book renewals, they will get the info when you renew your endorsement and visa.

If you are inside Thailand and your re-entry visa and endorsement expire, no need to rush to renew. Wait until just before your next trip outside Thailand to get new ones. When you apply for your re-entry visa and an endorsement, you have to state when you are planning your trip.

Several times Immigration officers have asked me why I am renewing when I have no plans to travel, and I say I might have to make a sudden trip for work, so it is better to be prepared.

Edited by Maeklong

could it be the government needs to raise money? with so many expats already living here for quite a while anyway why not raise the numbers?

While a 100 per nationality doesn seem much, it does seem to be enough. A 100 persons per nationality has never been met, with maybe the exception of Chinees and Indian nationals.

There used to be no limit for Indian and Chinese nationals, as I recall. Don't know if that has changed.

I have had Thai resident status for the last 22 years.

The Benefits...............Don't have to make 90 day reports nor renew visas every year. Holds more weight that a Thai driving licence when trying to get entry into various attractions at the Thai price. Supposedly makes obtaining a work permit easier -never tried. Nothing more.

The Detrimental Effects......Need 2 re-entry endorsements if leaving the country. One for passport and one for the resident permit. Double the cost!

There used to be no limit for Indian and Chinese nationals, as I recall. Don't know if that has changed.

As far as I'm aware, the limit of maximum 100 per nationality is fixed in the law. The immigration commission can fix the number per year lower, but not higher than 100.

WOW The generosity of the Thai government knows no bounds, only few day to prepare and apply and only 100

out of the many hundred of thousands foreigners having made Thailand their home. winning the lottery jack pot has better chances to get one..

It's 100 per nationality, not 100 total. But the price to get it is another story, as in absurd.

My inititial take on this had me rushing to check the calender to ensure it was not an April Fools day ruse - Then I settled on this being a cleverly planned exercise to mess up every long term Farangs christmas with false hopes. Whatever. I think this is one issue where beer definitely has the answer...

So, I have already sent the accountant down to Dor.Mor (The local Thai Immigration Office). to check this PR post out - and it is for realohmy.png

So, those of you interested in dusting off your PR applications, here is the latest 'Permament Residency application supporting paperwork requirements' form collected by my accountants own fair hands from Jomtien, Chonburi Immigration this afternoon.

This version in Thai.

Enjoy.

post-41178-0-09295200-1324543096_thumb.j