Retirement Extension

I did mine at Chiang Mai.

I used the on line booking system ( 29 days before visa expiry ) and arrived early. I was called soon after the time I booked, and the whole process took about 15 minutes. I had photocopies of all the pages in my passport, but she only wanted picture page, non O visa and last entry/ TM 6. I used a standard passport photo for the completed TM 7. My wife brought all the documents for place of residence, but the officer only asked her if we lived together. Might have needed proof if my wife wasn't with me though.

She only kept the bank letter, not the statement.

She didn't ask me any questions, and only spoke to explain when I would need to report next time.

I gave her the 1900 baht and that was it.

Only waited 15 minutes to get my passport back, checked the date, and I was out of there.

BTW, I was unable to obtain a re entry permit as the officer said I'd need a date of departure for a single ( I could obtain a multiple without a departure date ) but I won't need a multiple.

Good news from Chiang Mai! That on-line reservation system is a gem. I wish they'd add more appointment slots.

Last time I did my 12-month retirement extension in CM, I obtained a single entry re-entry permit with "unknown" in the space on the form for the departure. But, that was way back in February.

Beachlover -- did you do a 12-month extension due to marriage or due to retirement? If the latter, then your marriage and presence of your wife had nothing to do with why you were granted the extension.

Good news from Chiang Mai! That on-line reservation system is a gem. I wish they'd add more appointment slots.

Last time I did my 12-month retirement extension in CM, I obtained a single entry re-entry permit with "unknown" in the space on the form for the departure. But, that was way back in February.

Beachlover -- did you do a 12-month extension due to marriage or due to retirement? If the latter, then your marriage and presence of your wife had nothing to do with why you were granted the extension.

Lopburi in reply # 5 has it right. The officer asked her if I lived with her. The original sentence was in reference to a previous thread I posted about obtaing the retirement visa.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

You could have put any date on the application for re-entry - you are not tied to it (and do not believe most make any distinction between them in that regard).

You do know about 90 day address reporting requirement?

Yes, thanks. I asked the officer about the date for my 90 day report.

The same rules do not apply for females.

But they bl**dy well should do....anything other than "the same rules for men and women" is sexual discrimination and I believe illegal according to the Thai constitution.

Section 30 []

All persons are equal before the law and shall enjoy equal protection under the law.

Men and women shall enjoy equal rights.

Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of the difference in origin, race, language, sex, age, physical or health condition, personal status, economic or social standing, religious belief, education or constitutionally political view, shall not be permitted.

]

The process in the Pattaya Immigration is now very efficient and as long as you have all the necessary documentation there is no problem. They even have a clerk who checks that you do have everything that is needed.

How does one make an on line appointment - by just ringing the Immigration office in Chiang Mai. I have a residents permit, but I need an endorsement every year to allow me to leave the Kingdom without losing my status, as well as a multiple re entry visa. I have been getting this every year for the last five years, but at times one has to queue for hours. If i can avoid this queueing I would prefer to get an appointment. Can one get an appointment for January (next months) as my current Endorsement and reentry visa expire in January 2012?

I suspect it is done by clicking on the flashing icon half way down right side of website but I am refused entry (could be down).

Yes I had the thought to book online for next December.....but I get a blank page.

Is it because I"m on an iPad?

ps the English on the main page is truly bizarre, example:

"On December 6, 2554 at 18:00 pm, police major tire Jessada Sw.tm.hw. City with a female police captain in the Bronx through bright polish. Mudhole . Hw. Chiangmai. Chiang Mai, with an annual social gathering in 2554 at the Empress Hotel."

Cheeryble

Seems Chiangmai is still very slow even if you book. Hua Hin always less than 10 minutes without booking. This time includes re-entry visa and 90 day reporting as well!!

I'm guessing, but I'd bet that Hua Hin has way less people to deal with than Chiang Mai. Chiang Mai needs a much larger office and a lot more officers to deal with it's customers than it has at present.

Ok, then why do the same Immigration officers in CM grant me a 12-month retirement extension without my having to produce either a Thai wife or evidence that I live in chiang Mai?

------------------------

Did you get an actual 12 month extension without 90 day reporting required?

f so, did you probably have an O-A long term stay visa obtained in your home country?

That;s a different animal from a Non O visa and a retirement extension based on your marriage to a Thai issued in Thailand or a retirement extension using the 800K Thai baht in a Thai bank account method.

That O-A visa is the cream of the crop...if that's what you have...and can be renewed in Thailand annually, whereas a Non O visa can get a marriage or retirement extentsion but it requires 90 day reporting.

Different things.

-----------------------

Ok, then why do the same Immigration officers in CM grant me a 12-month retirement extension without my having to produce either a Thai wife or evidence that I live in chiang Mai?

------------------------

Did you get an actual 12 month extension without 90 day reporting required?

f so, did you probably have an O-A long term stay visa obtained in your home country?

That;s a different animal from a Non O visa and a retirement extension based on your marriage to a Thai issued in Thailand or a retirement extension using the 800K Thai baht in a Thai bank account method.

That O-A visa is the cream of the crop...if that's what you have...and can be renewed in Thailand annually, whereas a Non O visa can get a marriage or retirement extentsion but it requires 90 day reporting.

Different things.

-----------------------

What is different is that you get another intial permisison to stay on a O-A visa than on a non-O visa. 1 year versus 90 days, before you need to get an extension of stay based on retirement, which is one and the same procedure.

The O-A visa entry also requires 90 day reporting if you stay for 90 day or longer, just like everyone else.

Yeah, I have an O visa, not an O-A visa. Some regulars on this forum have been treated to my harrowing story of everything Hubby and I had to do in the U.S. to get O-A visas only to find our passports returned way passed the promised date -- the day before our big move to Thailand -- only to discover the Chicago consulate had given him the coveted O-A visa and just given me a 90 day O visa.

Oh well, we hadn't planned to move funds to Thailand so soon, but we did immediately upon arrival. Lucky that the exchange rate was at least 20% better than it is now. It the best investment we've made since 2007.