Smartphone--Buy In U.S. Or On Thailand?

heybruce

I'm doing my annual visit to the U.S. and considering making the move to a smartphone. The standard way to buy a smartphone in the U.S. is to commit to a phone service and data plan, typically costing $50/1500 baht or more a month for two years, and get a "free" or discounted smartphone. To get an unlocked phone, one in which I can insert a Thai sim card and use in Thailand, is expensive, typically $500/15000 baht on up for a capable, late model phone.

Unfortunately, I didn't price Thai phones before I left. How much does a late model, mid-range smart phone cost in Thailand? Should I buy here in the U.S. or wait a little while and buy in Thailand. Since I am in Thailand 11 months of the year, I need a phone that will work in Thailand. Any suggestions?

If you want to be flexible with 3G abroad and the different carriers in Thailand, you need at least a quadband, better pentaband, 3G phone.

This means, you either get a top model Android, which will be around 18-20K Baht, a iPhone, or a newer Nokia model.

Forget about all those midrange Androids, they look nice on the surface, but have lots of limitations especially when it comes to carriers and/or connectivity.

If the smallish display (3.5") is no problem for you, the Nokia 701 for around 11K Baht is still the best deal available here. Best connectivity and all 3G bands you need in TH or US.

Thanks for the replies. I know I can get a phone unlocked in Thailand, but to get a good deal on a T-Mobile or AT&T phone I'd have to commit to an expensive data service plan for two years, which I don't want to do.

I can get a Nokia 701 in the U.S. for the equivalent of 11,000 baht and a Nokia 8 for about 12000 baht. Are these about the same prices I'd pay in Thailand? Does Thailand have the Samsung Galaxy II, and if so does anyone know the price? If prices and selection are comparable in both countries I will probably buy in Thailand where I can get the phone serviced if anything goes wrong.

Samsung Galaxy S2 you mean? Yes availanle here and I reard price ranges from 16,800 to 18,000+ ready to use, no need unlocking or anything and don't forget the VAT refund of 7% that you can get (you would have to leave the country to get that.

There is a separate SG S2 tread a few treads down. You should read it.

Thanks for the replies. I know I can get a phone unlocked in Thailand, but to get a good deal on a T-Mobile or AT&T phone I'd have to commit to an expensive data service plan for two years, which I don't want to do.

I can get a Nokia 701 in the U.S. for the equivalent of 11,000 baht and a Nokia 8 for about 12000 baht. Are these about the same prices I'd pay in Thailand? Does Thailand have the Samsung Galaxy II, and if so does anyone know the price? If prices and selection are comparable in both countries I will probably buy in Thailand where I can get the phone serviced if anything goes wrong.

701 retails here 11,200b and the N8 is 13,300b.

Check Siam Phone for price indication for phones.

http://www.siamphone.com/

Thanks for the info. Is there any way to get this website in English?

Thanks for all the replies, they've been very helpful. It looks like mall prices in Thailand are 5% to 10% more than internet prices in the U.S., which is much less of a difference than I expected. I think I'll wait until I'm back in Thailand and look for a good deal on a good phone then.

Can you clarify your budget for a phone? Which kool-aid flavor do you prefer: Apple, Android, other? Your Thai service provider? Your mobile broadband (3G) requirements in Thailand? When you go to the U.S. which service provider do you use? Do you use 3G/4G when in the U.S?

In most cases I would recommend you buy the phone in Thailand as this is where you spend the bulk of your time. Further I think you will find that, in some cases (like with the SGS2) the version available here is superior to the U.S. version(s). Buying a quad- or even penta-band 3G capable phone is overkill, in most cases. A mid-range (8,500 THB) Android phone, would work with Truemove H or DTAC on 3G in Thailand and AT&T's 3G network in the U.S.

I use T-Mobile pre-paid in the U.S., and just use 2G for data, as I have access to WiFi in most places: hotel, work, family/friend's homes.

FWIW, T-Mo have some interesting new daily plans; I pay $2/day for unlimited voice, SMS and 2G data.

Can you clarify your budget for a phone? Which kool-aid flavor do you prefer: Apple, Android, other? Your Thai service provider? Your mobile broadband (3G) requirements in Thailand? When you go to the U.S. which service provider do you use? Do you use 3G/4G when in the U.S?

In most cases I would recommend you buy the phone in Thailand as this is where you spend the bulk of your time. Further I think you will find that, in some cases (like with the SGS2) the version available here is superior to the U.S. version(s). Buying a quad- or even penta-band 3G capable phone is overkill, in most cases. A mid-range (8,500 THB) Android phone, would work with Truemove H or DTAC on 3G in Thailand and AT&T's 3G network in the U.S.

I use T-Mobile pre-paid in the U.S., and just use 2G for data, as I have access to WiFi in most places: hotel, work, family/friend's homes.

FWIW, T-Mo have some interesting new daily plans; I pay $2/day for unlimited voice, SMS and 2G data.

I can spend 15k or 20k baht on a smartphone, but don't want to do so unless the extra capabilities justify the cost over a 10k phone. Android seems to be the flavor of the moment as far as operating systems go. I currently have a pay-as-you-go call and text only phone in Thailand, I'll look into data service provider options in Chiang Mai after I decide on the phone. During my one month a year in the U.S. I have a bare-bones T-mobile service plan that only allows phone calls, I'd have to get a much more expensive plan to be able to take advantage of their "free" smartphone offers, which I'm not willing to do.

The most important phone service I need, phone calls, my 1000 baht Nokia provides. Surfing the internet and posting pictures and videos right after I take them would be fun but isn't essential to my lifestyle. The only smartphone capability I'd really like is GPS with a user-friendly map feature.

The most important phone service I need, phone calls, my 1000 baht Nokia provides. Surfing the internet and posting pictures and videos right after I take them would be fun but isn't essential to my lifestyle. The only smartphone capability I'd really like is GPS with a user-friendly map feature.

Then get a Nokia. All of the newer Smartphones come with free *offline* navigation. Maps from many countries in the world (including Thailand) come free too and get regular updates.

Mapping on Android is either a costly add-on or use the free google maps which cannot compare (online connection needed).

Anyway, don't make your decision on what people say is "cool", but on your requirements.

Mapping on Android is either a costly add-on or use the free google maps which cannot compare (online connection needed).

Not quite true, 'Maverick' is free and can use offline maps, if you download the previous version, it will work offline with Google Maps.

Edited by ludditeman

Not quite true, 'Maverick' is free and can use offline maps, if you download the previous version, it will work offline with Google Maps.

Regardless, Nokia's maps, especially in navigation is miles ahead. I've downloaded most of the android map apps and nothing comes close on navigation.

So if your priority is maps and navigation get Nokia.

If your not fan of Symbian for some reason then get the new Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone. They have separated the map and navi apps which is nice. As standard you get Maps which i believe is based on Microsoft Bing maps? and you also get Nokia Maps which is the good quality Nokia maps done by Navteq? And last you get Nokia Drive which is navigation app designed for use in the car with clear large controls to be used when driving.

Nothing I've seen on Android or iPhone comes close.

Edited by MJo

Regardless, Nokia's maps, especially in navigation is miles ahead. I've downloaded most of the android map apps and nothing comes close on navigation.

So if your priority is maps and navigation get Nokia.

If your not fan of Symbian for some reason then get the new Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone. They have separated the map and navi apps which is nice. As standard you get Maps which i believe is based on Microsoft Bing maps? and you also get Nokia Maps which is the good quality Nokia maps done by Navteq? And last you get Nokia Drive which is navigation app designed for use in the car with clear large controls to be used when driving.

Nothing I've seen on Android or iPhone comes close.

A while ago, Nokia bought Navteq and Nokia Maps are based on Navteq maps and software.

It cannot be compared to the free solutions based on google. I used Nokia Maps in Thailand an Malaysia, and recently in Europe. A proper navigation system which alone justifies the price of your mobile phone.

In Europe, you also get free traffic information and routing. So when there is a traffic jam, it will automatically change the routing.

I can spend 15k or 20k baht on a smartphone, but don't want to do so unless the extra capabilities justify the cost over a 10k phone. Android seems to be the flavor of the moment as far as operating systems go. I currently have a pay-as-you-go call and text only phone in Thailand, I'll look into data service provider options in Chiang Mai after I decide on the phone. During my one month a year in the U.S. I have a bare-bones T-mobile service plan that only allows phone calls, I'd have to get a much more expensive plan to be able to take advantage of their "free" smartphone offers, which I'm not willing to do.

It sounds like a smartphone may be more than you require; I'm honestly not sure why you are even considering one?

For your service in the U.S. I am guessing you still maintain a monthly post-paid service with T-Mo? If so, you might consider transitioning that to a pre-paid (Pay As You Go:PAYG) account with T-Mo; then use one of the monthly or daily offerings. You can subscribe for just one month: $50 for unlimited voice, SMS and data. You will have to 'manage' to expiration date initially to get it up to one year.

FYI, T-Mo pre-paid now offers international roaming in ~ 70 countries but not Thailand.

Edited by lomatopo

If you only like the GPS capability of a smartfone, I suggest you buy a dedicated GPS. Garmin is great.

The maps used by the Thai electrical company is available.

True, i have garmin in my car.

However, when not in my car i find phone navigation and maps to be priceless. To know where i am, to where i'm heading and to guide the taxi drivers to correct address when they get lost. Especially when in Jakarta, they are notorious of not knowing where to go and just drive loops. I do not like carrying my phone and my garmin around when out and about in town without my car or in my travels overseas.

In terms of the phone I just came from the USA. went to bestbuy and while i was there almost every phone there I saw from every brand you could buy unlocked the price sticker was even there showing it what the price was unlocked. Keep in mind though the reason for so many was a issue regarding type of phone the bandwidth used meaning

GSM or CDMA though

I did get bored though especially with the salesmen, while I was there looking at phone as soon as I started talking about buying an unlocked phone for full price I got a bunch of weird looks like who pays full price for a phone. On a note of boring side you can't play with any of the phones as they are all turned off you can only look at them.

in terms of price I just buy one here as dealing with american salesmen and confusing looks just annoys the experience of buying a phone in the USA.

I saw new, unlocked N8s on sale via Amazon in the U.S. around the Black Friday period for $299, but the regular ongoing Amazon price seems to be around $350....which is better than the Thailand price listed above... But then you have potential issues about warranty coverage for a U.S. purchased phone if anything happens while you're in Thailand.

My wife was just shopping for, and ended up getting, a new Samsung Galaxy S II...which only recently has been available as a local model in the U.S. I tried to find a better U.S. price for an unlocked, non-carrier branded model, but couldn't. So we ended up getting one here at a discount for 16,800. The regular store list prices seem to be 18,900b.

Amazon had the SII on sale for 1 cent around Black Friday, but it was with a two year service commitment. And if you canceled that beforehand, there was a penalty fee imposed... When I added up all the AT&T and Amazon charges that would have been involved, it would have cost as much or more as just purchasing the phone outright here in Thailand, which is what we ended up doing.

On the other hand, a bit earlier, I shopped and ended up being an unlocked, no-carrier branded Sony Xperia MiniPro Android 2.3 phone on sale via Amazon from the U.S. and paid less than I would have paid here in Thailand. Warranty only valid in the U.S., though Sony shops here would service it for a fee, if that became necessary.