Visa Run To Vientiane

I just did a visa run to Vientiane and want to relate the experience.

I went on a fresh US passport obtained in Thailand. In the past, when flying out of Thailand with a new passport, they simply stamped my exit in the old passport and I used the new passport when I returned to Thailand. This was not the case at the Friendship bridge. They sent me to the Immigration office, where they transfered my entry stamp from the old passport to the new. That stamp was obtained on a Non-Immigrant "B" visa. No big deal.

Arrive in Lao, and head to the Thai embassy hoping to get a double entry tourist visa, which would carry me through until I reach age 50 and can apply for an extension based on retirement. Well, the long haired woman at the embassy was having none of it. In an extremely rude manner, she pronounced "you are working in Thailand" (which I never have) because I have a "B" stamp in my passport. Since I am not a tourist, in her opinion, she would only give me a single entry. Tried to explain that I do not work in Thailand and was issued the "B" visa in order to spend time looking for a condo to purchase for my upcoming retirement. No luck.

So I get to do another run somewhere in 60 days. Don't think it will be Vientiane! At least she didn't put the dreaded red stamp in the passport.