Police Checkpoints

phuketsub

• If you have nothing to hide then there is no problem with check points!!

What is this extortion regarding check points, I have only been stopped maybe a dozen times in 2 1/2 yrs 1 time for not wearing a seat belt(my fault 300 bht fine no problem, 1 time I got stopped and police saw my very red face as I had been in the sun most of the day, "police say have you been drinking" I of course said no and explained, police smile and wave me through, the rest just routine, never been asked for money at a normal routine ckeck point..

Edited by kenny999

Going to Kamala yesterday from the Heroines monument, I went through three of the gestapo checks. First one as you approach Cherng Talay, second one a few more kilometers down the road in front of the MacDonalds/Tesco and then the third just before Fantasea. Three within 10-15 minutes. Easy to know where they are without being BIB because of the temporary tents and empty whiskey bottles.....

Now that the Seven Days of Danger campaign is underway, it might be useful to compile a working list of exactly where the extortion points are set up..

extortion points................

they crack down on drunk drivers, non license, non tax/insurance, non seat belt, non helmet, and black taxis (white plates, not proper taxi green plates). In addition they look for drugs and illegal firearms.

Wish they had budgets for these checks every day

they crack down on drunk drivers, non license, non tax/insurance, non seat belt, non helmet, and black taxis (white plates, not proper taxi green plates). In addition they look for drugs and illegal firearms.

They are considered extortion points to the many people who break the law, they like breaking the law but do not like paying the fine. up to them but please stop complaining about, do the crime pay the fine, simple!!

They are considered extortion points to the many people who break the law, they like breaking the law but do not like paying the fine. up to them but please stop complaining about, do the crime pay the fine, simple!!

and if anyone is asked for teamoney or fine without reciept, please post a video and its extortion. wont happen thocoffee1.gif

34 deaths on roads reported so far today, no count of how many went to court this morning for drunk driving

You might know the answer ti my question KBB. (I have only ever rented bikes around Thailand.) if u own a bike, do u have to have compulsory insurance? Is the tax basically 'registration'? Appreciate it if u know.

You might know the answer ti my question KBB. (I have only ever rented bikes around Thailand.) if u own a bike, do u have to have compulsory insurance? Is the tax basically 'registration'? Appreciate it if u know.

yes every road legal vehicle must have compulsory insurance and pay annual road tax. For a bike its 100 baht each for a year. In return you get a tax sticker/registration sticker to be placed visible on bike, and expire date is printed. Bringing old/expired sticker to DLT (Department of Land Transportation) or bikes reg book or copy, you are allowed to pay for new and have new issued

Compuslory Insurance (Por Or Bor) covers close to nothing, so a proper 3rd party Insurance is recommended

I have never displayed the square tax disk on my bikes, only stopped twice and asked where is it, I opened the seat and produced it, no fine and police okay!! yes it should be displayed but obviously in my experience it has never been a problem.

yes every road legal vehicle must have compulsory insurance and pay annual road tax. For a bike its 100 baht each for a year. In return you get a tax sticker/registration sticker to be placed visible on bike, and expire date is printed. Bringing old/expired sticker to DLT (Department of Land Transportation) or bikes reg book or copy, you are allowed to pay for new and have new issued

Compuslory Insurance (Por Or Bor) covers close to nothing, so a proper 3rd party Insurance is recommended

thanks for that!

I have never displayed the square tax disk on my bikes, only stopped twice and asked where is it, I opened the seat and produced it, no fine and police okay!! yes it should be displayed but obviously in my experience it has never been a problem.]

not even sure if it must be displayed as long as you can show it, but if it is in windscreen of car one often avoids being pulled over

Not really an checkpoint, but the highway police at Muang Mai has some good offerings. They check and fix motorbikes for free (also first 20 or so motorbikes get free oil change). Free feet and shoulder massage, free coffee.

Yesterday, I almost fell foul of a checkpoint near to the Isuzu showroom, just south of the Heroines Roundabout.

I had just left the Phuket Gazette offices and was trying to open an ice-cream cone whilst driving, and before I had my seat-belt on. (Stupid I know).

Suddenly, there were several motorbikes going the wrong way in my lane, with schoolkids trying to turn back from the checkpoint. I had to drop my ice-cream onto the floor and fumble to put on my seat-belt. The police officer saw my attempts and waved me down to be checked by his colleagues. Luckily, the officer failed to communicate my offence with his colleague, who then waved me on.

All OK, and there wasn't too much grit on my ice-cream...

Edited by simon43

I'm glad to see all the ridiculous misleading posts using words such as extortion and gestapo checks have been replied to with factual ones.

Note to newbies or people yet to visit Phuket: If you are perfectly legal you will NOT be asked to pay a fine. If you aren't legal you will be asked to pay a fine for which you will get a reciept.

Extortion, bribes and tea money at road check points in Phuket is something that for reasons only known to them, some members of this forum have dreamed up with their over active imaginations.

I'm glad to see all the ridiculous misleading posts using words such as extortion and gestapo checks have been replied to with factual ones.

Note to newbies or people yet to visit Phuket: If you are perfectly legal you will NOT be asked to pay a fine. If you aren't legal you will be asked to pay a fine for which you will get a reciept.

Extortion, bribes and tea money at road check points in Phuket is something that for reasons only known to them, some members of this forum have dreamed up with their over active imaginations.

Have not been stopped in Phuket yet but in BKK if your guilty of driving while white you will pay shake down money. Often they wont even tell you what you supposedly did wrong, just demand money. Hope it really is different here but doubt it.

Have not been stopped in Phuket yet but in BKK if your guilty of driving while white you will pay shake down money. Often they wont even tell you what you supposedly did wrong, just demand money. Hope it really is different here but doubt it.

Yes, it really is different on Phuket. No offense, no money. And if offense and fined you always get an official receipt.

Yes, it really is different on Phuket. No offense, no money. And if offense and fined you always get an official receipt.

It is indeed very different in Phuket, and I would ad Krabi and Pang Nah as it is same HighwayPolice district. I have done 480k km all over TH during past 9 years, been pulled over all over the country accused for this and that by coppers with sunglasses, papermask, no name tag and no Police ID card visible, and all they want is 2-500 baht, no reciept of course.

Never happend in Phuket. This beachbum aint no saint, so I have been fined in Phuket, but always with a reciept

It seems like 54 permanent checkpoints are active today in addition to the mobile ones, and some 12 alcometers/breathalizers in addition to the balloons. Legal alcohol level is 0,05% which equals 2 beer

Yesterday, I almost fell foul of a checkpoint near to the Isuzu showroom, just south of the Heroines Roundabout.

I had just left the Phuket Gazette offices and was trying to open an ice-cream cone whilst driving, and before I had my seat-belt on. (Stupid I know).

Suddenly, there were several motorbikes going the wrong way in my lane, with schoolkids trying to turn back from the checkpoint. I had to drop my ice-cream onto the floor and fumble to put on my seat-belt. The police officer saw my attempts and waved me down to be checked by his colleagues. Luckily, the officer failed to communicate my offence with his colleague, who then waved me on.

All OK, and there wasn't too much grit on my ice-cream...

You should be banned driving

A mobile jail pulled up in front of the electronic show at Karon Beach with a sign saying something like "short time room away from home" showing an inmate behind bars. Pretty funny.

Yes, really funny.

I'm glad you agree and I'm sure you saw the sign too or else you wouldn't be commenting on something you didn't see. It really was funny using "short time" and showing a cartoon inmate behind bars in a striped suit.

As I said, totally agree, was very funny. Why the comment on 'sure you saw the sign' etc. BTW?

This is correct they get the money by black mailing bars and guesthouses.I know ,I use pay to this a-holes