Please Tell Me Karma Exists

Mosha

Paleontology - the earth science that studies fossil organisms and related remains. It is taught at 99% of the universities in the world and explains the changes in organisms through evolution. There is no debate about evolution. You can’t graduate from college taking a natural science course and debate evolution. You would flunk the course. It is like saying 2 plus 2 don’t equal 4 and expecting to pass 2nd grade arithmetic.

C'mon Kerry

I don't believe you could fail any university course by agreeing with the professor running the course (especially in Thailand).

That doesn't mean he is right!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Education has improved drastically over the last 40 years or so. As has standard of living and diet.

Intelligent people still lived 2,000 years ago, only there were fewer of them. The world was a poorer place so fewer people had access to what would help them to raise intelligent children. Take those people from 2,000 years ago and put them in today's society and they'll likely be just as smart.

It is not some great jump in evolution at all, it is simply us living healthier lives than before. We've always has that capability of intelligence but have not always has the resources to take advantage. In much the same way the N. Koreans are getting shorter because of low nutrition, they are getting smaller because their children have less to eat and therefore do not grow as much.

agree that diet is the likely answer but the tests are meant to be independent of education. But is today's diet better? some say after ww2 we ate the healthiest. People can develop their brains... but more in 03 than 91?

I think you need to bear in mind that is referring to AVERAGE IQ scores

University of Cambridge, University of Oxford, University College London,

University of Edinburgh, Imperial College London all teach evolution and not an alternative theory.

And? So what? They all recommended leaches at the time leaches were a cure all.

Paleontology - the earth science that studies fossil organisms and related remains. It is taught at 99% of the universities in the world and explains the changes in organisms through evolution. There is no debate about evolution. You can’t graduate from college taking a natural science course and debate evolution. You would flunk the course. It is like saying 2 plus 2 don’t equal 4 and expecting to pass 2nd grade arithmetic.

The boiling point of water is not debated anymore. It is not the theory of the boiling point of water. I’ll grant you that at some point in time someone probably debated the boiling point of water but not now. Maybe there are some tribes in the Amazon who are debating the boiling point of water today but to debate evolution falls in the same relative scientific level as relying on Amazon tribesmen for your scientific knowledge.

Maybe someday someplace a spaceship will discover an old guy with a perverse sense of humor who actually created the earth. Of course that is a possibility and that old guy may be also able to change the boiling point of water; who knows. Seems to me a bit silly to hold out hope at this point in time that he will be found. Universities are the repository of scientific knowledge and they have not debated evolution in my 65 years of life experience.

Quite. The boiling point of water is a 'fact'. Evolution is still just a theory, albeit a reasonable theory at the moment.

University of Edinburgh, Imperial College London all teach evolution and not an alternative theory.

The boiling point of water is not debated anymore. It is not the theory of the boiling point of water. I’ll grant you that at some point in time someone probably debated the boiling point of water but not now. Maybe there are some tribes in the Amazon who are debating the boiling point of water today but to debate evolution falls in the same relative scientific level as relying on Amazon tribesmen for your scientific knowledge.

Maybe someday someplace a spaceship will discover an old guy with a perverse sense of humor who actually created the earth. Of course that is a possibility and that old guy may be also able to change the boiling point of water; who knows. Seems to me a bit silly to hold out hope at this point in time that he will be found. Universities are the repository of scientific knowledge and they have not debated evolution in my 65 years of life experience.

Quite. The boiling point of water is a 'fact'. Evolution is still just a theory, albeit a reasonable theory at the moment.

Evolution IS NOT 'just a theory'. Don't let the term 'theory of evolution confuse you.

A theory is just an idea. Evolution is backed up with an enormous amount of evidence, the evidence in support of evolution is huge.

Evolution is no more likely to be proven wrong than the boiling point of water.

That is not what I meant. Biologists consider the existence of biological evolution to be a fact. It can be demonstrated today and the historical evidence for its occurrence in the past is overwhelming. No one in the scientific community is debating this.

"Evolution is both fact and theory" is a statement that appears in numerous publications onbiological evolution. The statement is framed to clarify misconceptions about evolution primarily in response to creationist statements that "evolution is only a theory". In the context of the creationist claim, theory is used in its vernacular meaning as an imperfect fact or an unsubstantiated speculation. The purported intent is to discredit or reject the scientific credibility of evolution. However, this claim cannot be substantiated.[1][2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_as_fact_and_theory

Except that whereas the boiling point of water is a provable fact, evolution IS just a theory at the moment.

Yes, there is a lot of evidence, but it is still not proven.

Evolution has been proven by fossil and DNA evidence. (Among other things)

Here: http://en.wikipedia...._common_descent

Evolution is proven, nailed on, fact.

Like the boiling point of water we could find in the future it is wrong, but according to the information and vast amounts of data we have right now it is a nailed on FACT.

If it wasn't called "the theory of evolution" we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Edited by Moonrakers

Except that whereas the boiling point of water is a provable fact, evolution IS just a theory at the moment.

Like the boiling point of water we could find in the future it is wrong, but according to the information and vast amounts of data we have right now it is a nailed on FACT.

If it wasn't called "the theory of evolution" we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Its called a theory for a reason...

Have you ever read about the theory of the boiling point of water?

Edit - incidentally, your point "according to the information and vast amounts of data we have right now", is precisely why it is still a theory and not a fact.

Edited by F1fanatic

I'm not sure similar DNA structures between species would be valid proof.

If I were god (or an alien creator) I would use the same basic building blocks for every life form I created, rather than start again each time from scratch.

Its called a theory for a reason...

Have you ever read about the theory of the boiling point of water?

Edit - incidentally, your point "according to the information and vast amounts of data we have right now", is precisely why it is still a theory and not a fact.

Discussion point 3: Modern theories of boiling

In the traditional theory of boiling in physics and physical chemistry, the boundary between the liquid state and the gas state is sharply defined as the line on which the vapor pressure (function of temperature) reaches the level of the external pressure. This is as shown in a typical phase diagram on the right. The assumption of the sharpness of the liquid-gas boundary theoretically precludes the variability of boiling point under fixed external pressure; this means that there is no obvious way of accommodating the observed variations within the traditional physical theory.

http://www.hps.cam.ac.uk/people/chang/boiling/discussion3.htm

Edited by Moonrakers

I'm not sure similar DNA structures between species would be valid proof.

If I were god (or an alien creator) I would use the same basic building blocks for every life form I created, rather than start again each time from scratch.

So why are DNA sequences so different between species?

By which logic EVERYTHING is a theory, including the boiling point of water.

?? We can all prove the boiling point of water without even bothering with scientists! For most other things I rely on scientists to tell me they have proven it as a fact.

Sorry, but I tend to get annoyed when people confuse 'facts' and 'theories'.

?? We can all prove the boiling point of water without even bothering with scientists! For most other things I rely on scientists to tell me they have proven it as a fact.

The university of Cambridge disagree:

http://www.hps.cam.ac.uk/people/chang/boiling/discussion3.htm

People are getting so mixed up because it is called a theory.

What these people also need to bear in mind is that the people (scientists) that named it a theory, also consider it a fact.

I used to be a scientist, I never considered it a fact.

Exactly. As far as I know, no genuine, un-biased scientist claims that evolution is anything other than a well-grounded theory.

The university of Cambridge disagree:

http://www.hps.cam.a...discussion3.htm

You claim to get annoyed at people confusing facts with theories.

So what would you have to say to those folks at Cambridge university, as per the link above

People are getting so mixed up because it is called a theory.

What these people also need to bear in mind is that the people (scientists) that named it a theory, also consider it a fact.

I used to be a scientist, I never considered it a fact.

Exactly. As far as I know, no genuine, un-biased scientist claims that evolution is anything other than a well-grounded theory.

So now you change the goalposts!

How do you guys do it? To turn an interesting subject about karma at the start of the thread into something so boring about physics and boiling water???

I believe in karma. And good karma starts by not doing any harm to any person... or animals.

How do you guys do it? To turn an interesting subject about karma at the start of the thread into something so boring about physics and boiling water???

I believe in karma. And good karma starts by not doing any harm to any person... or animals.

So when you drive down the road in your car splatting millions of bugs on your screen is that their karma?, how about every ant you ever trod on? Of course there is bound to be some "let out" clause there always is with this hocus pocus nonsense. You probably kill millions of things everyday you just dont see it, is that going to bring you bad karma?

And finally

Who says anyone is smarter now?

My great grandfather was an blacksmith, I'd be in trouble trying to make a sword or plow, and don't know anyone else who can either.

Knowing how to change channels on the Tv or turn on your Pc, doesn't make you smarter than your ancestors.

Ah yes but at least we had the ability to invent the TV and without it what would the Thais do?

What do you mean we?

Can you even build a Tv from a pile of components, let alone make the components.

Do you know anyone who can?

I know how to switch a Tv on and off, a little different than knowing how to make one.

Yes i can thank you, my Father spent many years repairing tvs in the "black n white" era.

Edited by travelmann

I had really a good post written about evolution and the courses I took in college 40 years ago and fruit flies but you are right it is off topic. Fruit flies can prove the basic tenants of evolution but I don't think they can do the same for Karma. I do find it interesting that people believe in Karma. Frankly it boggles my mind. But I think about it all the time. My GF is so nice and sweet and kind and loving and I am such a sh**. I really should change.

I had really a good post written about evolution and the courses I took in college 40 years ago and fruit flies but you are right it is off topic. Fruit flies can prove the basic tenants of evolution but I don't think they can do the same for Karma. I do find it interesting that people believe in Karma. Frankly it boggles my mind. But I think about it all the time. My GF is so nice and sweet and kind and loving and I am such a sh**. I really should change.

In the next life...

Just think how wicked she must have been last time round, to end up with you now.

SC

2 points here.

1.99%of universities throughout history have said that something is fact and later proven wrong. On the whole they are repeater of knowledge institutions.

2.I am not debating evolution but universities say it is only Darwin's model and I am saying that we can not, as the universities do, dismiss ancient texts that say aliens tinkered with our DNA along the way. We do not know exactly HOW we evolved.