Tractor Alternative

TexasRanger

In the future I will need to haul some stuff with a small trailer. The thing is, I am not very flexible and don't get on well with the Thai style 2 wheel tractors. Does anyone here use a quad / ATV or something similar and if so, what kind of size / cc is needed to haul a small trailer ?

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

I use a 420cc Honda 4X4 quad to pull a trailer and just about anything I can load on it.

The trouble is a Quad in this country is stupidly expensive, you can buy a top of the line tak tak for 80 -100 thousand. a quad like mine, new, at the Bangkok dealer is about 300,000.

I know I seem to get hurt every time I try and drive a tak tak. Hire a guy to drive the 2 wheel tractor and sit back with a beer.

I use a 420cc Honda 4X4 quad to pull a trailer and just about anything I can load on it.

The trouble is a Quad in this country is stupidly expensive, you can buy a top of the line tak tak for 80 -100 thousand. a quad like mine, new, at the Bangkok dealer is about 300,000.

I know I seem to get hurt every time I try and drive a tak tak. Hire a guy to drive the 2 wheel tractor and sit back with a beer.

Thanks for the sensible reply mate, as for you seekingfriends, I can see why you are still seeking.

I use a Suzuki King Quad 500 cc. I imported it myself, and all the options, winch, racks, farm sprayer, blade/bucket, etc., it cost me about 400,000 baht. It was a lot of trouble importing it, but I saved about a 100,000 baht.

It has a 2" ball, and I can use it to pull a utlity trailer I have for my truck (4' x8'). I recently designed and had fabricated for it a small aluminum trailer (1m x 2m) with 27" songlo wheels. So now I have two trailers: in one, I can haul a load of gravel or dirt and in the other, compost, a stack of bamboo poles, etc.

The King Quad is nice. It has locking axles, so the pulling power (dragging logs, etc.) is impressive. You have three levels of traction. First, two-wheel drive, with slipage, kick it into four wheel drive, with additional (differential) slippage, lock the axles, and the thing has always dug in pulled though. There is no licensing for a quad in Thailand, but driving it around the rural area where I live has never presented any problem whatsoever (other than the constant envious stares).

You cannot get along a 2 wheel tractor , but what are your ideas on a 4 wheel one . For the price of those quads , you can have a small size 4 wheeled one

That is something to consider also, the only thing I need is some way of hauling a trailer like they have on the back of the Tak taks. The access is too small and rough for my truck sadly. I did recently see a guy locally though that had modified his tak tak with a frame and steering mechanism so he can drive it like a regular tractor, that also may be an option. If I am just going to and from the land my dirt bike will be just fine and so spending massive amounts of money on a quad burns me a little for the limited times I may need it.

Check out www.weekendhobby.com for quads. There's a button on the left for ATV's and that will take up to a board that has quads for sale and dealers in Bangkok.

Used ones are expensive, new ones will take your breath away

You could buy a new Kubota 4 wheel drive tractor for less than say a 800cc Polaris quad.

You cannot get along a 2 wheel tractor , but what are your ideas on a 4 wheel one . For the price of those quads , you can have a small size 4 wheeled one

That is something to consider also, the only thing I need is some way of hauling a trailer like they have on the back of the Tak taks. The access is too small and rough for my truck sadly. I did recently see a guy locally though that had modified his tak tak with a frame and steering mechanism so he can drive it like a regular tractor, that also may be an option. If I am just going to and from the land my dirt bike will be just fine and so spending massive amounts of money on a quad burns me a little for the limited times I may need it.

Turn the dirt bike into a Trike and pull it with that

Edited by grimleybob

I have a tak tak trailer that I use on both the tak tak and the four wheel tractor. If you want to use that trailer on the four wheel tractor you will need to build and use an adapter that allows the trailer to turn both directions as well as move up and down. I am attaching a couple of pictures of my adapter.

post-17093-0-19259200-1325584774_thumb.j

post-17093-0-24477400-1325584813_thumb.j

Edited by Gary A

http://www.truck2hand.com/index.php?module=InnoForum&func=list&ctrl=topics&category_id=15

Plenty of not new 4 wheeled tracktors to find for less then 250k or less . Smallest Kubota are around 150k if i'm correct ( type KRT 140) for a new one . Plenty good also for doing only 1 to 10 rai of land .

Has anybody seen a rotovator for sale?

Small enough for garden use something like this one.

post-5614-0-24474500-1325660571.jpg

Seen plenty of them around , should be easy to find . Try Homepro , Globalhouse and most chance Toolpro or similar shops . Otherwise , go to gardencenters and ask them and show the picture .

Hello billd767, maybe larger than you want.

rice555

www.patipongrmachine.com

Thanks for that link but it came up all in Thai.

It looks as though it is a PPK 2000 H but I have no idea where it is for sale or a price.

It looks robust, has a Honda 5hp engine and it looks simple and easy to use and maintain.

Where did you find it please?

Hello billd766, I see 2 different add every in Thai ag mags. The pic

with the 3 tillers is in Korat, The last or second to last link in the top

page header shows their dealers, see attached pic.

It's a matter of checking the map and phone numbers to find a place

if you don't have someone to do the Thai talking.

Hope this gets you into the ballpark.

rice555

post-37242-0-89061200-1325783024_thumb.j

Hello billd766, try this link: www.nichino-ie.com they have tillers to.

but their site has an English tab, and a complete list of who sales them,

just find the phone area code for your area.

For the first site I posted, you can check the numbers to see if there is

a resaler in your area.

post-37242-0-42613000-1326309895_thumb.j

Hello billd766, try this link: www.nichino-ie.com they have tillers to.

but their site has an English tab, and a complete list of who sales them,

just find the phone area code for your area.

For the first site I posted, you can check the numbers to see if there is

a resaler in your area.

Thanks for another link.

The closest to me is at Mae Sot or Lampang and Chiang Mai area.

I may stick with my wife's idea of getting somebody local to do it.