Buying A House - Advice Please

Dear Forum,

I live and work in Thailand and plan to stay here for the forseeable future. My wife is Thai and we plan to buy our first house together this year. I have no problems with putting the house in her name as I understand as a Westerner I can't own the land or property. And I don't want to go around the company route etc.

As I am new to this, I would like to ask your advice on what to watch out for i.e. scams, protection we should look for, lawyers and other factors we should be thinking about.

I have seen a house I want to buy and I'd like to purchase quickly but we would prefer to take it on a mortgage as shelling out the full amount is not what I want to do at this time. Are there any good banks you could recommend which offer good mortgage rates i.e. Bangkok Bank, TISCO etc?

Many thanks for your help

Happy New Year,

Jay.

Jay,

simply get everything checked by a good lawyer.

Its too much money to risk.

Re Mortgages: any of the banks will assist you if you are working in Thailand and have a Thai wife. Just see who will give you the best rate. Also, you may find that one branch of a bank can offer you a different rate or benefits than another branch of the same bank. Strange, but it does happen.

You are obviously looking at buying an existing home, so really there shouldn't be too much in the area of "scamming" that could occur.

The only things that I would suggest you personally check (not those that your lawyer will check) are all practical:

Flood affected or flood prone?

Is the roof sound?

Termites or insect infestation?

Condition of the flooring?

Plumbing?

Also, proximity to transport will become more and more important, so this may be a factor too.

Good luck !

Edited by london

y should also make sure of the title deeds nothing other than chanote and there is no money that has been loaned against the property,but the main one is find out who your neighbours are visit the area in the evening to check out if there is any noise.me and my mrs.looked around for 4years before we had ours built so dont go rushing in to quick if y want a house already built try and rent first then if its ok go ahead with the purchase.good luck.

Thanks guys, some interesting information there and plenty of things to think about although I am not quite sure what a chanote is.

Do you know how I can find a good lawyer? There seems to be so many on the Internet and I don't want a cowboy. Also, what should you expect their fee to be?

I have no idea when it comes to checking plumbing, roofing etc - who can I seek in Bangkok to check all these things over?

Many thanks,

Jay.

Always rent first for a month, if you cant rent 1st you are taking the risk of not knowing about the noisy neighbours or dogs etc, if they wont let you rent for a month or 2 or 3 they probably have a good reason for it.

Fore warned is fore armed.

There are many good lawyers in Bangkok, but I would go for a larger firm, not necessarily one that advertises on the internet.

I have used one, Bangkok Jurist in Silom Road a few times and have found them to be very competent. Prior to them, I used Baker and McKenzie, but they were quite expensive.

Also, the advice that Meatboy and Danlo have given is very practical.....and VERY worthwhile.

Always rent first for a month, if you cant rent 1st you are taking the risk of not knowing about the noisy neighbours or dogs etc, if they wont let you rent for a month or 2 or 3 they probably have a good reason for it.

"if they wont let you rent for a month or 2 or 3 they probably have a good reason for it'.

because they want to sell it? seriously , they don't do this in the west what makes you think Thais will do it, assuming they dont even live in it?

Edited by Hooters

I agree. Or at least visit it at least 5 times a day, at different times of the day and night, over a period of several weeks. If a vendor wont do this then they are surely hiding something and you should just walk away.

chanote title deed is that a survey of the land bounderies and area that has been done by the goverment so y can see exactly if some of the land might be owned by someone else if that is the case it would not be chanote deed.i will give y a short explanation behind us there is some land for sale about 200sq.wah.but it is broken up in 3diff lots,where others own some land attached,so y might buy the land then find out someone owns a piece going through the middle or in the front tread carefully.

While I agree that renting for a month or so would be a great way to evaluate a property, I'm not sure that a seller who's reluctant to do that necessarily has something to hide.

If you were selling a house in your home country and a Thai family wanted to rent it for a month "to see what it's like," how would you feel?

If I were a seller here, I would have mixed feelings: What about cleaning/damage if the "potential buyer" decides not to buy? Will I have to take the property off the market and/or not be able to show it for the rental period?

If the seller *does* agree, then it indeed would be a great opportunity for the potential buyer.

What absolute rubbish...where in the world can you 'try befor you' when purchasing a house.....where are the exsisting owners supposed to live while you are 'trying before buying'......by all means check out the area but get real about renting a house befor purchasing it.

What absolute rubbish...where in the world can you 'try befor you' when purchasing a house.....where are the exsisting owners supposed to live while you are 'trying before buying'......by all means check out the area but get real about renting a house befor purchasing it.

Quite a lot of vacant houses around, often the seller will rent for a few months first.

Dont come to cry when Madame Thai will kick you out on the curve with your bags

This is what happen to these dumb farangs who buy house for their lovely wife....

sent from tapatalk :-)

Maybe your dumb and did it thats why the large chip on your shoulder....however many men marry and are happy for a long long time...dont judge everyone by yourselfe

Quite a lot of vacant houses around, often the seller will rent for a few months first.

If its possible yes....but the poster thinks this is a must or DONT buy

Never heard of renting before hand. If it were my house I would tell the prospective buyer to look elsewhere (I am normally polite). No harm in asking I suppose. If it is a new property on one of the new housing estates (mooban) then the developer is very unlikely to let you rent.

As to mortgages, assuming it is a new house, the developer would normally have made arrangements with one or more banks and they will help you with seeking a mortgage. The one I recently bought through got me a confirmed mortgage with Bangkok Bank, but in the end I opted to pay cash. My house completion was delayed so by the time it was finished the mortgage was unnecessary. But I am now broke and must start saving again.sad.png

UOB still seems to be foreigner friendly, as does Standard & Chartered according to recent inquiries made with them. I should mention that in all cases I was to act as guarantor with the mortgage in my wife or son's name. Neither my wife nor son work.

This is what happen to these dumb farangs who buy house for their lovely wife....

Your post offends me. We don't all marry second class village girls. Some of us marry educated, weathly, intellectual Thais who have more going for them than most of the deadbeats I see on a regualar basis.

• Like 1

Your post offends me. We don't all marry second class village girls. Some of us marry educated, weathly, intellectual Thais who have more going for them than most of the deadbeats I see on a regualar basis.

There was no mention of second class village girls, similar things can and do happen when married to educated, wealthly intellectual Thai's as well....rolleyes.gif

There was no mention of second class village girls, similar things can and do happen when married to educated, wealthly intellectual Thai's as well....rolleyes.gif

There are a lot of posts all over the forum going on about getting shafted by Thai girls. Most people here are grown up's adults (I hope), done mistakes in the past, I personally did many, he-he, and hopefully learned from that. With my present Thai wife I don't have any worries at all, okay we have kids which help cement a marriage off course, but I really fell that my wife is first and foremost trying to get our marriage working, the rest of the world comes on a distant second place to her. I think most marriages with expat /Thai girls are good solid marriages, maybe 10- 20% ends up in tears.

Just look at the West, Paul McCarthny had to pay how many millions $ for his divorce and what about Hogan Hulk? I think he lost 70% of his assets in a divorce, so no matter where in the world you are, a divorce will cost you $.

If you are 70 years old and marry a 20 year old the chances of things goes tits up increases drastically, he-he. My wife is app. 17 years younger than me so I fell we can still "connect" if you know what I mean.

We have a very nice house here which I paid for, if I lost it for one reason or the other it would be a big blow to me but not catastrophic as I still have 15 years of work left in me.

Edited by guzzi850m2

Seriously who does that?

Even houses for rent you are going to have to pay a 2 month deposit, and 1 month rent up front and probably sign a year contract...? Yet houses that are not even available for rent are going to give you a better deal?

I would say that if someone is willing to rent you their house before buying it, their price is probably too high and they have had zero other people interested for a long time.

Or at least visit it at least 5 times a day, at different times of the day and night, over a period of several weeks.

This seems like a more sensible approach.

Edited by dave111223

chanote title deed is that a survey of the land bounderies and area that has been done by the goverment so y can see exactly if some of the land might be owned by someone else if that is the case it would not be chanote deed.i will give y a short explanation behind us there is some land for sale about 200sq.wah.but it is broken up in 3diff lots,where others own some land attached,so y might buy the land then find out someone owns a piece going through the middle or in the front tread carefully.

Some questions before I take the plunge....

Considering buying from a developer ...Individual lot, and house to be built on the lot, by the developer.

Buying the land and house in my Thai partner's name.

Developer has 40+ lots in a 'village' environment. House plans and prices are fixed. majority have been sold. Of these approx. 50% have been completed and already occupied, others in stages of completion. The remaining lots are for sale.

Each lot has a Chanote.

Developer has a purchase contract which seems comprehensive in terms of clauses, and includes the usual "payment schedule and final payment on transfer of land and house" all specified in the contract.

What key things do I need to act on? e.g.

Is it essential or preferable that I engage a lawyer/conveyancer?

If so, any estimates of what the lawyer's fees might be?

Do I need to get a "Title (Chanote) Search" done like in western countries?

Does the validity of the Chanote need to be verified?

Does the existence of the Chanote negate the need for a 'search' (that's what I understand from meatboy's quote)? Is there such a thing as a Title Search in Thailand?

My partner will be the owner. Does she automatically get a blue book showing ownership?

How do I go about getting myself on "the 30 year lease" of the house?

Any other questions that need answers?

thanks.

Considering buying from a developer ...Individual lot, and house to be built on the lot, by the developer.

Developer has 40+ lots in a 'village' environment. House plans and prices are fixed. majority have been sold. Of these approx. 50% have been completed and already occupied, others in stages of completion. The remaining lots are for sale.

Each lot has a Chanote.

Developer has a purchase contract which seems comprehensive in terms of clauses, and includes the usual "payment schedule and final payment on transfer of land and house" all specified in the contract.

Does the existence of the Chanote negate the need for a 'search' (that's what I understand from meatboy's quote)? Is there such a thing as a Title Search in Thailand?

My partner will be the owner. Does she automatically get a blue book showing ownership?

thanks.

Each lot has a Chanote.

thanks.

You need to talk to your local Land Office,bring a copy of the chanote with you. Register your lease at the land office too - but you will be charged a tax for this.

Your partner needs to go to the local Tessabaan (city hall) after you have purchased the property to get the blue book - but the blue book has nothing to do with ownership, it is just a registration of people who live there.

Plenty of threads on each of the issues you raise (perhaps search?), so some brief pointers in red italics below:-

Each lot has a Chanote.

- some say yes, others no - given the questions you ask I'd suggest it prudent for you

- depends on the service required (seems unclear at the moment) and the lawyer - although some would say 10k THB too much, others 100k THB too little

- IMHO yes

- IMHO of course

Does the existence of the Chanote negate the need for a 'search' (that's what I understand from meatboy's quote)?

- even if a real Chanote its only good at the moment it was obtained

Is there such a thing as a Title Search in Thailand?

- yes, a Lawyer can check the validity of the land title, check for encumberances.... and trace its passage and history from first registration etc

- not automatic but not necessarily difficult

- By way of a 30 year lease between you and the landowner registered at the land office (preferably house AND land). Is she your wife rather than girlfriend?(it is relevant rather than just a personal question). A little more personal though still relevant, what is your motivation for wanting to lease from her - if self protection or whatever there are differing ways to achieve this

- due dilligence should include city planning (shouldn't be presumed)

- contract review by lawyer

- more depending on your answers / thoughts on the issues above

thanks.