New Year's Eve Pub Murder Rocks Phuket

webfact

New Year's Eve pub murder rocks Phuket

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- A simmering dispute between two Patong business owners turned deadly on New Year’s Eve when one gunned down his rival outside a well-known Phuket pub just before dawn yesterday.

The shooting was reported to Patong Police by 15-year-old Rachain Noonpakdee, said a report in today’s Siangtai Daily newspaper.

Rachain said that one of the “big brothers”, 35-year-old Wirote “Baomee” Duangjan, was shot twice in the stomach by a man he identified only as Phi Kosit (“big brother Kosit”).

Police rushed to the scene, outside a well-known pub at the southern end of Phang Muang Sai Kor Road, named in the report by its old nickname Soi Tun (“Dead End Street”).

Arriving at the scene police found only bloodstains and broken shards of glass.

Mr Wirote had already been rushed to Patong Hospital for emergency treatment. From there he was later transferred to the better-equipped Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town, where he died.

Initial investigation by police revealed that the two men were very well-acquainted. They were both employed by the same unnamed business tycoon to oversee parts of his operations in the tourist town, which on the night of the slaying was packed with foreign tourists celebrating the New Year.

Police believe the shooting was motivated by a conflict over which of the two would run which businesses controlled by their common patron.

Relatives of the late Mr Wirote have claimed his body, which will be cremated at his home in Chawang District, Nakhon Sri Thammarat.

At last report police were applying for an arrest warrant for the shooter, who they said they were familiar with because he already has a criminal record.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle11875.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-01-02

"business" ..... "tycoon" .....

..... "racket" ..... "ganster / mob boss"

let's just say Donald Trump decides to open some business in Thailand ..... I just know that the first question he's going to do is say to his secretary "now Daisy, I'd like you to find me someone to head up operations in Pattaya - I'm not too fusy who, just so long as he has a solid criminal record, a gun, and no inhabitions using it"

businessmen my arse...... wahahahahahahhahaha.....

no farangs to blame this on?

" They were both employed by the same unnamed business tycoon to oversee parts of his operations in the tourist town, which on the night of the slaying was packed with foreign tourists celebrating the New Year.

Police believe the shooting was motivated by a conflict over which of the two would run which businesses controlled by their common patron."

Of course the farang started this -- they were the ones spending wildly, fuelling the greed conflict between the two. If there was no farang spending, there was no basis for a conflict.

What a crap way to start a new year. Phuket's reputation is growing and it's not looking like somewhere I'd especially want to visit. Getting to sound like the wild old west.

It has been the wild west for many years, but it keeps getting wilder!

let's just say Donald Trump decides to open some business in Thailand ..... I just know that the first question he's going to do is say to his secretary "now Daisy, I'd like you to find me someone to head up operations in Pattaya - I'm not too fusy who, just so long as he has a solid criminal record, a gun, and no inhabitions using it"

I was thinking the same thing when I read the article!

What a crap way to start a new year. Phuket's reputation is growing and it's not looking like somewhere I'd especially want to visit. Getting to sound like the wild old west.

Whoops! Sorry.... It was New Year's eve. I guess it was ending the old year with a bang. Dismal way to live and die, either end or beginning of the year.

Whoops! Sorry.... It was New Year's eve. I guess it was ending the old year with a bang. Dismal way to live and die, either end or beginning of the year.

Pity the poor tycoon.. up until NYE he had two Lieutenants now he has none.

While Im sorry for the families and any connected that are innocently affected adversely by this death the issue does remain that Phuket is just a rathole of organised crime and sordid activities.

When god decides to do another turn it to stone trick Im betting Patong will be the place.

It would have been global news if the bullets missed their target and hit innocent tourists. I'm sure that day is coming.

I can see the headline. "Innocent tourist shot dead in gunfight on holiday island of Phuket."

Should do wonders for tourism here. Only the Thai Army can clean up the mess on this island now.

Well , for you Phuket bashers let me say this : I was out Thursday nite visiting my old job at Rock Hard ,the music was great and all were having a good time!

I went to Tai Pan and it was packed and the joint was jumpin'.Thanks to 2 ex-Rock Hard Dj's.I asked Aek my old friend was there many fights inside the place. He said not very often.

My point being after 50 years in F&B and tourism related jobs , I can say

,it reminded me of a MARDI GRAS week celebration in NEW ORLEANS , except more nationalities

were here.

So, all in all I would say a whole lot of fracked up people were partying there butts off,

and considering how toasted they were ,it really was a theme of make love not war, IMHO !

So , everywhere people party and get that fracked up you will find violent acts , just hope they don't find you!

And stop blaming Phuket !!!

Its the same old "growing pains" it's had since I got here 25years ago.

Where did you see the word businessmen or businessman used in the article? Anyway, in spite of your cynical and I'm-superior sounding post, it's very common to call a man who manages a busine a businessman.

Edited by HerbalEd

Well , for you Phuket bashers let me say this : I was out Thursday nite visiting my old job at Rock Hard ,the music was great and all were having a good time!

I went to Tai Pan and it was packed and the joint was jumpin'.Thanks to 2 ex-Rock Hard Dj's.I asked Aek my old friend was there many fights inside the place. He said not very often.

,it reminded me of a MARDI GRAS week celebration in NEW ORLEANS , except more nationalities

were here.

So, all in all I would say a whole lot of fracked up people were partying there butts off,

and considering how toasted they were ,it really was a theme of make love not war, IMHO !

So , everywhere people party and get that fracked up you will find violent acts , just hope they don't find you!

I disagree. The Thai's need to understand that the tourism industry, as a whole, is a business, and they are not running "the business" very well. They are losing customers and will continue to do so until they stop people going home dissatisfied from being ripped off, scammed, extorted, bashed, robbed, pick pocketed, drugged, involved in a motor vehicle accident, over charged, two tier pricing system etc etc etc etc. The authorities need to reign in the criminals and run the business of tourism properly here. People want to feel welcome. Not, for example, be quoted a tuk tuk price that is more than the cost of their room per night fo a 10 minute journey.

were here.

good post

people expect a party scene for multiple cultures and nationalities to be without conflicts. Considering all the people partying it is very peaceful

were here.

I booked 5 nights at the Le Meridian on Phuket last June.

First night on Bangla Road saw 2 full on fights between drunk Aussies.

Second night had a minor scuffle with a drunk Aussie lad who after being told twice to leave my girlfriend alone decided to grab her breasts.

Left 3rd day.

Bangla road obviously doesn't represent all of Phuket, and i've had a really nice time down on Cape Panwa before, but as a place to party the attitude of the Thai's, the long term expats and tourists there sucks.

If you're looking to party on or near the beach Koh Chang is currently the nicest option by far.

IMHO.

Tom.

Haha, Aussies are not much better back in homeland. If someone getting shot is actually news, that is a great sign that things are not that bad.