Export From Thailand To Us

In this USA import tariff chart below, can someone help explain what the 'Special' and the '2' column represents under the "Rates of Duty"?

Columns 1 and 2 are very different !

8b438.jpg

Edited by KRS1

I'm no expert but it looks like the "Special" column denotes nations ("Au" probably Australia, "Ca": Canada) with special status for that particular item, some having no tariff, some a small percentage. The 2nd column appears to state the tariff for nations without a negotiated favorable rate. Not sure what the "General" column is as it is a lesser % than column 2.

Edited by dddave

Seriously?

N. Korea and Cuba? Seems weird that there would be a column just for them without being stipulated.

Can anyone verify this?

Edited by KRS1

I'm not sure which exact item you're looking at, but in general, you'll be paying the "general" duty.

Before committing to a purchase, you should do a search for an anti-dumping/ countervailing duty to see if there are any punitive duties to be added. I can't imagine there would be for Thai ceramics, but they'll really ruin your day. (Ask me how I know that).

addcvd.cbp.gov/

To your purchase price, add a few hundred dollars for a Customs broker in the USA to walk the shipment through US Customs, unless you can pick them up yourself at the port (which may or may not be a seaport)- and quickly. If you don't pick them up quickly, you can add a few hundred $$$ more for storage. (Unless you're shipping by USPS, but I can't see that with ceramic tiles)

Some ceramics are banned because they use lead in the glazing, but I don't know if that affects any ceramics from Thailand, or of the type you're considering- mostly it concerns glazed dinner ware. Better to check than be sorry.

Edited by impulse

Ahh, you sound like you know what your talking about. So column #2 really is for N. korea and Cuba?

I was looking over the import procedures for container shipments and there are alot of steps involved as well as surety for tariffs, i think i'll probably pay the customs broker a fee to get things moving first time around.

Great anti dumping link.

Thank you, really appreciate your detailed answer. Thanks to the others too, but i couldn't tell if the rest of you were joking around or not...555