I Can Handle A Few But Not This Many

jvs

Like i said i can handle a few but lately we are covered in geckos,they are everywhere and we cant seem to get rid of them.

Yes i accept they are here and i know they eat insects but the also leave a mess behind ,they are in my printer and in the cupboards and everywhere else!Does anyone know how to repel these guys?It would be nice to be able to catch and relocate them but i am afraid their place will be taken in by others soon.Looking for a method to keep them out if possible,any ideas?

I've been through this many times (and will probably go through it again when i get home as the house has been empty for a while...).

Only thing that works is manual removal, i.e. you have to get someone who knows how to physically catch them and then take them somewhere far away (FAR away as they are territorial and will come straight back if they can find their way).

Don't try to catch them yourself if you don't know how as once they sink their teeth into you the grip is like a vise.

Should you ignore that last advice, plunge your hand (with gecko attached) under water and keep it there until the gecko lets go.

I've been through this many times (and will probably go through it again when i get home as the house has been empty for a while...).

Only thing that works is manual removal, i.e. you have to get someone who knows how to physically catch them and then take them somewhere far away (FAR away as they are territorial and will come straight back if they can find their way).

Don't try to catch them yourself if you don't know how as once they sink their teeth into you the grip is like a vise.

Should you ignore that last advice, plunge your hand (with gecko attached) under water and keep it there until the gecko lets go.

I can't help but envisage a little comedic Laurel and Hardy in the release mechanism

The little guys (jinjok) are there because there is a food supply and a way in. So, eliminate the bugs and check the screens and door frames for openings. A cat will have an impact on the numbers also. The big guys (tokay) are the bad asses. They will fight you but doesn't sound like that is what you are talking about.

Sheryl: Wow...didn't know they bite! Ours are mainly the smaller ones. As we have screens, they rarely get into the house. But love to hang out near the lights we leave on all night. Poop everywhere for sure.

We have lots of stray cats that come around, but maybe they've already had their fill by the time they get here?

I would much prefer a little bit of gecko crap that I can wipe with a damp cloth than the pungent smell of cat piss all around my house. I hate cats and the stink they leave.

If you can get a laser pen use this to direct them out of the house, they follow the little red dot without fail.

then as someone else said check around to see where they are getting in and fix it. good luck.

• Like 1

I just pick them up and move them when they get in the way or get stuck in the toilet bowl. Never been bitten, never heard of them biting.

I have two in my condo, and they dont bother me at all. Lovely little creatures.

i found 5 electrified in the track for my lighting at my island house. I also lost 2 halogen ballasts to gecko eggs inside the plastic case. both expensive and annoying. That said, beyond a little insulating black tape, i cant imagine getting more proactive on their removal.

thankfully the tokays stay outside, there are 5 of them at last count

they are in my printer and in the cupboards and everywhere else!

Believe poster is just talking about the little jinjok guys who never hurt anyone and are fun to watch. As said remove the food supply. Have house sprayed for termites will likely get rid of most ants and they will move on and help protect your home from the nasty termites (who do bite).

Presumably some posters are confusing tookays with gekkos.

Don't think for one minute you stand any chance of getting rid of gekkos! More will always turn up...

Tookays are far fewer in number so rarely a problem.

This is THAILAND - not your home country! So you need to get used to them.

The gekkos (little ones, jingjoks) depend on a good food supply. If you have too many, it means you also have too many insects for them to eat. I too have had eggs in the printer, inside the spines of hardback books (remember them?), and anywhere they can nest undisturbed (I don't use my printer much).

Tokays (the big ones) are the ones which bite... if you attack them (remember the old rhyme, Cet animal est tres mechant,/Quand on l'attaque, il se defend.? (sorry, no accents)),. Usually they don't bother with you... but their call can be irritating. They are indeed difficult to get rid of, but I think there's a thread in the Pets section on just that.

I won't boast of getting 'rid' of geckos, but on the rare occasion when one is inside our home, I am 99% able to hunt it down, grab it, and toss it on it's gecko butt out the door.

If you have an infestation of geckos, here are some tips to clean out a good portion:

Put a thin piece of cotton or nylon stocking between the extensions of your vacuum cleaner. If the extensions don't easily reach your ceiling, try adding a piece of 3/4" pvc...again, adding a piece of cloth between one of the extensions. Keep the vacuum handy...when you see a gecko (usually on the wall or close to the ceiling), vacuum it, the remove the extension and toss the gecko out the door. It'll probably take you a few days to make a dent in the population....but when our home became infested, I was able to remove almost all of them this way.

The other thing you have to do is close all the gaps between your doors/screens and the outdoors. Geckos will find small holes/cracks and slip through into the home. If the gecko is light colored, it's probably been in the house for a day or more. If it's still dark colored, it probably entered the house in the last day or two.

Once you're down to the occasional gecko, you can use a broom to chase the gecko along the wall/or push it down to the floor and chase it with the broom until it tires. Then simple grab it with your fingers and toss it outside. Geckos will look for the nearest hiding spot, so when you chase them with the broom, chase them away from areas where they can hide. It might sound difficult, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty simple.

If your house has good screens on the doors/windows and you're religious about keeping the screens shut tightly, you shouldn't have any mosquitoes in your home. For insurance, we keep one of those 500baht bug zappers on at night inside the home......lots of tiny bugs and an occasional mosquito meet their maker inside the light at night.

1600sq foot home in the jungle.......I can't remember the last time my wife or I was bitten by a mosquito inside our home.

• Like 1

They probably think why is this big human living in my territory. they are good for eating Mossies, Tookers are different they are Territorial so you will not get many of them about in the same area, Tookers will bite you and have a grip like a vice.

Glue traps. The kind that are meant for catching mice. Readily available in supermarkets or any shop that has a section for pest control.

Had it work for a HUGE tookay before, but that was much trickier.

The jingjoks do get rid of insects, but their feces can be an annoyance and health risk - dropping salmonella all over the place.