Looking For New Tv

dezy1801

The Samsung LA40D550K7R 40" LCD is on sale for 15,990 at most major outlets, price matching here is the norm, until ~ 5/7 March; Some places have it for 14,990 but that price requires a local major bank credit card, KK, BBL, etc.

It can take NTFS USB HDDs and plays pretty much anything I've thrown at it. Also as an ethernet connection. Full HD obviously.

Edited by lomatopo

FWIW, you can usually find any specific models' user's guide on line, and these typically show you which file types can be played.

Samsung seems to have pretty robust support, including subtitles (.sub, .srt.), .avi, mkv, .asf, .wmv, .mp4, .3gp, .vro, .mpg, .ts/tp/trp, .tmvb,

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a LCD 40 inch Sony CX52 last week at Lotus for 13000baht,only wanted a monitor for the computer,pretty big this one though,has the bells and whistles pip,motion detection etc ,but also WiFi capable,does anyone use their tv for surfing? presumably downloading is not an option.

Thanks

Edited by 23962323

For an indication of the different series that Samsung produces, I used the Australian Samsung site (because the Thai site doesn't have an English option, however the tech specs of the TV's are in English); as with the UK, the models are slightly different - for example, the UA40D6600 on the Australian market comes with an 'Extended PVR' and a built in Digital Tuner, whereas the one for the Thai market has neither.

When you google a model number you find in thailand, you should be forwarded to the Malaysian Samsung website. Full English.

Most of the newer models offer the USB playback option. But you want to be able to play the format you download so probably best to load and try at store to be sure. You may also want to jot down a few model numbers and then go home to search internet for English language specs and compare with what you viewed before making up your mind.

Excellent advice. If you are going cheaper, it seems that Samsung Series 4 LCD 450 should be able to do what you need. I mistakenly purchased the LALCD 403 series which is only slightly better than the base model 400. The USB firmware on the base models of 4/5 series only allow picture/music (Only JPEG files!!!). Pay the extra 1500-2000. if 5 series, then 550 or higher for movie playing. I think once you get to 6 series or higher, Samsung automatically allows movie playing and doesn't hold back anything.. But the best thing is to google the model #, read the manual and/or even better, bring your usb stick to the store and test.

I also bought a Samsung TV and use it mostly for playing movies from USB flash drives and external hard drives. I used to use my PS3 for this but a PS3 cannot play a lot of containers and codecs (such as mkv and flv) and Ive never been able to get it to use subtitles.

The Samsung TV I bought can play nearly every codec and handles subtitles with ease, including Thai script which looks great. So much easier than using a PS3 or WDTV player, Im very happy with it and would highly recommend the newer Samsung models.

I don't know anything about them and have no interest in buying one, BUT, just yesterday I was in Tesco Lotus and was looking at the many different sizes and brands. One of them stood out among the rest. It was a Panasonic and the picture put the others to shame. The price on it was about the same as the other similar size units so it wasn't anything unusual.

I don't know anything about them and have no interest in buying one, BUT, just yesterday I was in Tesco Lotus and was looking at the many different sizes and brands. One of them stood out among the rest. It was a Panasonic and the picture put the others to shame. The price on it was about the same as the other similar size units so it wasn't anything unusual.

Probably a plasma screen. The older Panasonic plasmas were good but I would never buy a plasma here as its just like have a radiator in your living room. LED screens are the way to go for less heat and electric. I own a Pioneer 9G in the UK which is still one of the best panels you can can buy but I can live with a lower quality LCD screen here if it means my house will be much cooler.

• 2 months later...

I was in Num Chai (Pattaya) today and had a look though 3D glasses and I must say I was impressed, the Samsung series 6 55" LED TV was playing a concert.

Is it worth buying 3D and can you download from the many torrent sites, I know you can get HD but what about 3D?

I am tempted just to buy a series 5 46" and save over 30k bath but no 3D but don't want to regret it 1 year from now.

I have that Samsung 55in you mention and am very pleased with it.

I got a load of free 3D glasses with it and my PC will output the required signal. I also have a load of 3D material but after several attempts I cant say that I like viewing 3D very much. The effect is generally way over the top and cant be reduced with the TV settings (effectively), and the glasses make the screen much too dark for comfort.

So I am pleased because it does a good job with 2D HD material (as one would expect) and because it does a fantastic job with DVD playback over HDMI from my PC. This last really is stunningly good and nearly as good as HD. But the 3D is a bit of a non-starter as far as I'm concerned.

Sophon cable quality is still the worst analogue crap, of course. Hard to imagine that improving in my lifetime.

For me your loss would be the extra 10 inches, and them (plus the great SD picture quality) are certainly worth 30K as far as I'm concerned.

I got a load of free 3D glasses with it and my PC will output the required signal. I also have a load of 3D material but after several attempts I cant say that I like viewing 3D very much. The effect is generally way over the top and cant be reduced with the TV settings (effectively), and the glasses make the screen much too dark for comfort.

So I am pleased because it does a good job with 2D HD material (as one would expect) and because it does a fantastic job with DVD playback over HDMI from my PC. This last really is stunningly good and nearly as good as HD. But the 3D is a bit of a non-starter as far as I'm concerned.

Sophon cable quality is still the worst analogue crap, of course. Hard to imagine that improving in my lifetime.

For me your loss would be the extra 10 inches, and them (plus the great SD picture quality) are certainly worth 30K as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks Darrel, I am still checking/thinking about what to buy. I was checking on-line regarding 3D and most experts agree that affordable 3D TV's without the glasses will first be on the market in min 2-3 years time.

True now have 3 channels in HD and the picture in really nice on my Sony 32" HD TV, hopefully they will add more HD channels in the near future.

LG 2012 models (and probably 2011 models) have multiple 3D setting options. Think that LG passive 3D is better than Samsung's Active 3D .... if you turn the glasses 90 degrees they go black.

LG 2012 models (and probably 2011 models) have multiple 3D setting options.

So does this Samsung screen. Sadly none of these various settings makes the 3D nice to view.

I just dont like the effect.