Retailers Won'T Turn On Computers They'Re Selling

ItDontMeanAThing

Shopped for a netbook in Hua Hin a few days ago. At most of the retailers all of the computers were intentionally without power. A couple have some products that can be booted and used. Wasn't this way when I bought a laptop here last spring. Got to power up and run an Ubuntu live CD every place I went, though sometimes it required finding someone with enough knowledge of both english and a live CD before they agreed.

No way am I buying a computer without playing with it. Can't imagine Bangkok stores are doing this, but gotta ask before taking a day trip.

I've certainly played with notebooks a lot at various places in Zeer Rangsit. The sales droids might become a bit nervous when you pop the DVD drive open and put your disc in, though. Never tried this.

As I wrote in another post, I've been pleasantly suprised by the choice of notebooks and their prices at a local Tesco Lotus store.

tesco lotus... you can play as much as you want AND if you don't like it after buying can return it within 7 days for a no quibble FULL refund or exchange....Down side is they only have 2-3 netbooks..

ps.. dont know many netbooks that have a cd/dvd drive.

Edited by thaicbr

Out if the box the computer does not usually have the SW fully installed

and that takes some minutes to do.

This is probably why you are not allowed to play. sad.png

True, but if I was a retailer, I'd have conniptions if some unknown guy showed up and wanted to use an unknown data source on my equipment. Who needs to get a virus or malware? Sadly, there are people that do this, and no offense to the OP intended in mentioning this.

True, but if I was a retailer, I'd have conniptions if some unknown guy showed up and wanted to use an unknown data source on my equipment. Who needs to get a virus or malware? Sadly, there are people that do this, and no offense to the OP intended in mentioning this.

Well, in the places that can afford having one computer on show, they usually complete the initial installation and let it booted up. They know, of course, that after a few weeks on display this computer won't be completely "new" anymore: dirty, maybe a few scratches etc. Putting it back to factory settings usually only is a matter of pushing a function key at power-on and letting it boot from the OEM partition. This will wipe the Windows partition clean. But once again the computer isn't 100% new anymore, so it normally has to be sold at a discounted price. I have to admit that I've seldom seen this happening in Thailand. Does that mean that they're sold as new of that they're sold through other channels? (to staff maybe?) I don't know.

In places selling computers without an O/S (Lotus included), they often have a small DOS-based loop program that displays pictures on screen running all the time. In such a case booting from your Linux disc isn't likely to do any harm.

Just to clarify:

Most stores have zero computers that one can turn on and use. The lack of usable computers has nothing to do with my wanting to use a live CD, didn't even mention it. Because I'm looking for a netbook, I'll bring in Puppy Linux on a USB stick.

Some of the computers have a OS included in the price, some don't. Obviously no reason to power up one without an OS.

tesco lotus... you can play as much as you want AND if you don't like it after buying can return it within 7 days for a no quibble FULL refund or exchange....Down side is they only have 2-3 netbooks..

Good to know. The local Tesco had one netbook last time I noticed, which was long before I stated shopping. Thanks for the reminder, I'll check them out.

When I bought my HP laptop in the U.S. before coming back over here. They already had Windows 7 installed. When I bought my laptop at Tesco / Lotus a few months ago. No operating system installed. Though, they did offer a version of linux, which most people don't really know how to operate and are forced to buy Windows.

Just to clarify:

Most stores have zero computers that one can turn on and use. The lack of usable computers has nothing to do with my wanting to use a live CD, didn't even mention it. Because I'm looking for a netbook, I'll bring in Puppy Linux on a USB stick.

Some of the computers have a OS included in the price, some don't. Obviously no reason to power up one without an OS.

The more expensive Laptops do have Windows already installed. I've seen a few of them at Siam Paragon and Power Mall, but those are pricy.

When I bought my HP laptop in the U.S. before coming back over here. They already had Windows 7 installed. When I bought my laptop at Tesco / Lotus a few months ago. No operating system installed. Though, they did offer a version of linux, which most people don't really know how to operate and are forced to buy Windows.

Possible true.. but Tesco also sell windows instore from 1,590b.... and thats for the real thing.