Extending A 30 Day Stay Stamp Visa Exempt

Hi,

Happy New Year everyone.

Arrived Chang Mai 3 days ago and already plans seem to be going astray.

Arrived with 30 day stay stamp visa exempt.

Then intended to get funds into bank for 'aging'.

Then extend to a 90 day Non Immigrant 'O'.

Then at 60 days extend to a 1 year 'purposes of retirement'.

But just been informed that I cannot extend a 30 day stay stamp visa exempt.

Is this correct??

Both wife and I are Europeans.

Rgds.

F

You can extend a 30 day visa exemption for 7 days for 1900 Baht. Once. If there are more than 15 days remaining on it, I've neard (though wait for confirmation on this) it can be converted in Bangkok into certain types of non-imm visa.

At some point you're going to have to go to Vientiene (or another neigbouring country) to obtain a visa. Given your current situation I'd imagine once your 30 days are up, you'll be off to Vientiene for a single entry tourist visa then by the time that's been used up (60 day stay, 90 with extensions) you'll be ready to go to Non-Imm O and extend subject to you meeting retirement requirements.

You can extend if you reach the 30 days and have no alternative, but only for 7 days (@ B1900).

Alternatively on your 30th day head up to Mae Sai (closest border crossing) and do a border run to Myanmar - B500 (at the Myanmar side) and you'll get yourself an extra 15 days.

Finally you could hop a flight out and in and get another 30 days or more wisely hop a flight out, stay a day or two (e.g. Malaysia - KL is a good place to do this you should be able to find a flight for B4000) get a 60 day visa from a Thai embassy/consulate and back in (the 60 day one can be extended by another 30 days once your 60 are up).

You can extend a 30 day visa exemption for 7 days for 1900 Baht. Once. If there are more than 15 days remaining on it, I've neard (though wait for confirmation on this) it can be converted in Bangkok into certain types of non-imm visa.

At some point you're going to have to go to Vientiene (or another neigbouring country) to obtain a visa. Given your current situation I'd imagine once your 30 days are up, you'll be off to Vientiene for a single entry tourist visa then by the time that's been used up (60 day stay, 90 with extensions) you'll be ready to go to Non-Imm O and extend subject to you meeting retirement requirements.

Thnxs for info.

Really annoying having come up from KL and could have done this whole thing before Christmas.

I am sure I saw a quote from Lopburi3 - dated back in 2010 which seemed to suggest that it was possible to extend as I wanted.

Cannot find the thread right now.

This stuff is diabolical - to face all this again and again - not sure I want to - but that is a character thing..

Might head back to KL and finish off my MM2H application - more or less certain to be OK for that - we meet all criteria.

Pity though as wife prefers climate etc in Chiang Mai.

But thnxs for advice - seems pretty certain.

Best Rgds.

FS

Edited by factseeker

You can convert a 30 day visa exempt entry to a non-o visa and then apply for a retirement extension of stay after your bank funds have seasoned in the Thai bank for 2 months. But busually one applies for the conversion within days of arrival. Immigration is probably closed until tomorrow and I think Chiang Mai will do this conversion if not it will have to be Bangkok immigration. Then establish residence in Chiang Mai for extension of stay.

Yes you can change it to a Non Imm O Visa providing it is part of the process of applying for a 12 month extension.

Most Immigration offices will send you to Bangkok to do this but I think Chiang Mai is not one of these and will upgrade.

The financial requirement if you are using the bank deposit method is that you have to have 800000 baht deposited in your name in a Thai bank for 2 months. The only type of visa that you can extend for retirement purposes is a Non-O. If your entry is a 30 day "visa exempt" entry, you need to open a bank account and deposit the 800000 baht. You then go to Immigration and apply for the visa exempt entry to be converted to a Non-O visa, showing the bank book as proof of your intentions to extend that visa to for retirement purposes once the money has seasoned for 2 months. Some offices will not do the visa exempt to Non-O conversion and will send you to Bangkok. I'm surprised that CM will not. You do not have to travel to a neighboring country. If for any reason you are unable to convert the visa exempt to a Non-O in Thailand, then you will have to travel to a neighboring country and apply for a Non-O , reason retirement planning and then extend that visa for retirement purposes once the money has seasoned.m

Edited by wayned

Yes, you can definitely do this at Chiang Mai immigration and never have to leave the country. Just open the bank accounts ASAP after arrival and go to immigration to request a 90-day O visa with the intention to retire in Chiang Mai. During the final 30 days of the O visa you return to Immigration with bank letter and updated bank books verifying the "seasoning" on your funds.

An alternate way to do this is to get an income letter from your consulate if you have a monthly income in excess of 65,000 baht. The income does not have to be paid in Thailand, but it's a good idea to have some evidence of local bank account activity to show how you're bringing money into the country for living expenses.

There have been many statements that Chaeng Mai "can", "should", "will" and "defimitely do" convert a visa exempt entry to a Non-O in preparation for a retirement extension. But, in my limited quick search, I can not find any reports where anybody actually "did" convert their visa exempt entry to a Non-O at Chaeng Mai. Can we hear from somebody that DID actually do this at Chaend Mai?

There have been many statements that Chaeng Mai "can", "should", "will" and "defimitely do" convert a visa exempt entry to a Non-O in preparation for a retirement extension. But, in my limited quick search, I can not find any reports where anybody actually "did" convert their visa exempt entry to a Non-O at Chaeng Mai. Can we hear from somebody that DID actually do this at Chaend Mai?

Yes, I know three people (actually four -- one was a married couple) who did this. No -- it isn't that I "heard about" these people, but I went to immigration with two of them and talked with the others both before and after they went to immigration on their own.

Edited by NancyL

Yes, you can definitely do this at Chiang Mai immigration and never have to leave the country. Just open the bank accounts ASAP after arrival and go to immigration to request a 90-day O visa with the intention to retire in Chiang Mai. During the final 30 days of the O visa you return to Immigration with bank letter and updated bank books verifying the "seasoning" on your funds.

An alternate way to do this is to get an income letter from your consulate if you have a monthly income in excess of 65,000 baht. The income does not have to be paid in Thailand, but it's a good idea to have some evidence of local bank account activity to show how you're bringing money into the country for living expenses.

Hi Nancy et al,

Not sure what is going on with all this archlite business - did I cause that??

In any event we just got our Bank Account today - sailed through - no probs.

I was 'keyed' up but wife being French and completely at home in world run via a bureaucracy - as usual very steady.

So now we are sitting here with our our passports containing a 30 day Visa exempt stamp - starting from 31st Dec 2011.

Wondering if we are going to have to travel all way down to Ventiane.

5 days of the 30 days gone - I believe 21 days left is maybe a magic number?

Can go to 'Immi' tomorrow - in fact we were going to go - just to check out exactly what the rules were ref getting our 90 day extension.

As I understand it now - that may be possible with what we have presently got - namely passports containing a 30 day Visa exempt stamp.

Is that what is being said??

The 800K will not be in the Account for maybe 20 days or so as now have to mail documents to Pension Company before they will release funds.

But have original letters and documentation from Pension Company as evidence for 'Immi'.

All Best for New Year - you have all helped so much.

FS.

Edited by factseeker

Yes you can change it to a Non Imm O Visa providing it is part of the process of applying for a 12 month extension.

Most Immigration offices will send you to Bangkok to do this but I think Chiang Mai is not one of these and will upgrade.

Thnxs for reply LiteBeer.

FS

Yes, go have a little chat at Immigration and be prepared to be overwhelmed by what appears to be utter chaos. Actually, there is a "system" to what they're doing, but the waiting room is so overcrowded and noisy with people milling about and announcements on the PA every 15 seconds, you won't be able to think the first time you enter the place.

Best to go later in the morning, like 9:30 - 10 am or later in the afternoon, like after 2:30 when things are a bit slower. They close at lunch hour and I'm not certain of exact closing time, but they don't like to tackle anything new after 4 pm.

Bring all the documents with you that you think might be remotely relevant, like bank book for your new accounts, pension documents, etc. Go now -- don't wait because they might suggest you get an income verification letter from your consulate and that can take a few days to arrange.

Let us know how it the visit turns out!

Yes, go have a little chat at Immigration and be prepared to be overwhelmed by what appears to be utter chaos. Actually, there is a "system" to what they're doing, but the waiting room is so overcrowded and noisy with people milling about and announcements on the PA every 15 seconds, you won't be able to think the first time you enter the place.

Best to go later in the morning, like 9:30 - 10 am or later in the afternoon, like after 2:30 when things are a bit slower. They close at lunch hour and I'm not certain of exact closing time, but they don't like to tackle anything new after 4 pm.

Bring all the documents with you that you think might be remotely relevant, like bank book for your new accounts, pension documents, etc. Go now -- don't wait because they might suggest you get an income verification letter from your consulate and that can take a few days to arrange.

Hi Nancy,

Will get back after visiting them - I have the documents.

By the way have any of you got a complete scrambling of text - as an example in blue as below from your txt above - 'archlite' everywhere??

Yes, go harchlite'>ave archlite'>a little charchlite'>at archlite'>at Immigrarchlite'>ation

Rgds FS.

Your blue line is shows as this in NacyL's original post and i not altered: Yes, go have a little chat at Immigration

You might have a virus or something.

Edit: probably something wrong with the page code/script.

Thnxs for comment - yes seems problem my end - not a virus - maybe because French version of MS 7 - but OK on my notebook - so all OK.

Visited Immi as suggested.

All very helpful and quite quick - they gave me correct Form to use for 90 day extension.

Said I must have 15 days left on Visa exempt to do extension - OK no problem.

Showed them my new shiny Bank Savings book - more or less M/T.

But heres the 'rub' - could not really understand much the chap behing the counter was saying so unclear on final point - left off repeating question when he appeared to become 'agitated'.

Wife thinks he said need to see the 800k before 90 day extension will be granted.

I thought that was only necessary for the 12 month extension at 60 days + into the 90 day extension.

Following 'heated' discussion between us ;o)) - will go back today and clarify.

Bit loath to just try it as forms states you lose your 2000 Bt if a no go.

If funds have to be there now - we lose out as maybe 20 days before they arrive.

Rgds.

FS

Edited by factseeker

You will need to show the 800,000 in the bank. What is not needed is that the money in the bank is seasoned for 2 months at this stage. Only for the 1 year extension does it needs to be seasoned, for the conversion it just needs to be in a bankaccount in Thailand in your name.

You will need to show the 800,000 in the bank. What is not needed is that the money in the bank is seasoned for 2 months at this stage. Only for the 1 year extension does it needs to be seasoned, for the conversion it just needs to be in a bankaccount in Thailand in your name.

Thnxs for clarification.

Could do that but not in way I planned / prefer.

I guess I will miss out and have to plan for a Ventiane trip.

Rgds.

FS.

It may be too late for Factseeker, but this is one time where it's worth it to pay for a wire transfer of funds rather than waiting for an international check to clear and be credited to your Thai bank account.

I don't know about other banks, but Bangkok Bank will credit the funds to your account as soon as they receive them. If they say "20 days" it will probably be less, but could be as much as 20 days. I suggest checking your bank balance daily starting around day 15.

Yes, it really does take this long to clear an international check -- it's not some rule developed by the Thai banks to hold onto your money. I ran into the same problem in the U.S. where we maintained a Canadian bank account to use to pay Canadian suppliers to our U.S. business, back before they accepted credit card payments. I learned the hard way not to mail a U.S. check to our Canadian bank just a few days before mailing a Canadian check drawn on that Canadian bank account to a supplier in Canada.

Just to be clear to the OP... There are several different ways of meeting the income requirement for Immigration... You aren't required to use the same method every time... You can change as meets your circumstances... So you could use one method for this initial app, and then use a different method in future renewals.

One method is the above-mentioned 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account, documented by a letter from your Thai bank along with your bank book.

Another method is a consulate income letter stating that you receive, from any sources, at least 65,000 baht per month in income. And as said above, that can be any kind of income and can be earned in any country....and even can be a large single amount averaged over 12 months, I believe.... So for example, a single large annuity or pension payout in the year should be able to be averaged out into monthly amounts....assuming your consulate will accept that approach in issuing their income letter.

The third method is the combination method, whereby you use a combination of Thai bank deposits and consulate-verified income to meet the 800,000 baht amount. The advantage of this method is, I believe, there's no seasoning of bank deposit funds required in this approach. And the income and bank deposit amounts individually can be large or small in any combination. Just so long as together they add up 800,000 baht or more for the year.

Perhaps one of those other approaches might provide you some flexibility on your initial application.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

It may be too late for Factseeker, but this is one time where it's worth it to pay for a wire transfer of funds rather than waiting for an international check to clear and be credited to your Thai bank account.

I don't know about other banks, but Bangkok Bank will credit the funds to your account as soon as they receive them. If they say "20 days" it will probably be less, but could be as much as 20 days. I suggest checking your bank balance daily starting around day 15.

Yes, it really does take this long to clear an international check -- it's not some rule developed by the Thai banks to hold onto your money. I ran into the same problem in the U.S. where we maintained a Canadian bank account to use to pay Canadian suppliers to our U.S. business, back before they accepted credit card payments. I learned the hard way not to mail a U.S. check to our Canadian bank just a few days before mailing a Canadian check drawn on that Canadian bank account to a supplier in Canada.

If one is transferring US funds, the use of the ACH system in conjunction with BKK Bank in New York City takes four or five days, and works like a dream.

All very helpful and quite quick - they gave me correct Form to use for 90 day extension.

But heres the 'rub' - could not really understand much the chap behing the counter was saying so unclear on final point - left off repeating question when he appeared to become 'agitated'.

Wife thinks he said need to see the 800k before 90 day extension will be granted.

I thought that was only necessary for the 12 month extension at 60 days + into the 90 day extension.

If funds have to be there now - we lose out as maybe 20 days before they arrive.

Rgds.

FS

If you are mailing any documents to Europe, please make sure that you use the Thai post office's EMS system (which provides international tracking) because the Thai post is sometimes, uh, unreliable.

Rgds.

FS

If you are mailing any documents to Europe, please make sure that you use the Thai post office's EMS system (which provides international tracking) because the Thai post is sometimes, uh, unreliable.

Hi All,

Thnxs everyone for all the input.

Just that one 'magical' point ref funds I did not ask ref the extension of a 30 days - otherwise a done deal.

Pension Company is demanding sight of original documents as proof of ID as not yet started.

Last document required proof of Bank Account - only got that mid last week.

Then they apparently take 10 days to react - so I reckon 20 days before anything arrives in account.

Looks like Vientiane here we come.

Rgds to all.

FS

FS, I'm not sure re the details (timing and amount) of the pension payout you're referring to above...

But my point in my earlier post was... a large single pension payout can potentially be considered as INCOME for purposes of meeting the Immigration requirement, if your consulate will accept that approach in issuing an income letter.

The advantage of that is that INCOME such as pension payment or payments (averaging 65,000 baht per month over a 12 month year) doesn't have to be deposited into a Thai bank account or even transferred into Thailand. You just have to document that income via an income letter from your consulate, which is one means of satisfying Immigration's financial requirement.

So if, for example, a single large pension payment has already been credited to you somehow in your home country, or will be sometime sooner than your ability to then transfer those funds into a Thai bank account, then that potentially could be real income you could use to obtain a consulate income letter, and thus satisfy Immigration's requirement.

In the pension payment you're expecting is large enough to equal or exceed 800,000 baht for the year, you might consider contacting your home country's consulate in Thailand as to their procedures and what if any documentation they require for issuing Immigration income letters, and then make a judgment whether your situation would meet their requirements.

The bottom line is... 99% of the time, if a retirement extension applicant has the required income letter from their home country's consulate, that's going to be all Immigration is going to care about on that point.