Phuket Or Samui

Both Samui and Puket have undoubtedly certain drawbacks, but still offer places, off the beaten track, where one can find serenety and natural environment and locals not infected (yet) with the "sheikh yer beauty" or "get rich quickly" virus.

It depends very much on the traveller him/her self, what to chose, where to go/stay, there is accomodation for as lttle as 100 US$ per month, but as in down under it is common knowledge that one gets what he/she pays for.

Same with food, same, same, same... everywhere, all around the planet!

Tip: "Check out Ko Phangan, ther are some very nice places, but certainly NOT Haad Rin Beach" if you're not keen for the party of the century, including all the setbacks, garbage, noise, people and around party time soaring high prices, do NOT even consider to go there, but the north east, north and west coasts have plenty of choices to offer as well as other locations then Puket along the Andamansea coastline!

To be honest it really depends on what your wanting in a place

Phuket - lots of convenience in terms of

Pros - more places to choose from to rent, cheap airfares, more places to go explore and visit

Cons - everything is pretty far spaced out, more traffic and more people ( not really a con to be honest just my personal opinion when I was in phuket I spend more time just driving long distances to get places

Samui

Pros - everything is pretty close together

Cons - high cost of airfare, only one main road for the whole island very easy for traffic jams

Rip off's - everywhere

Commercialized - everywhere

I like both phuket and samui both for different reasons. Samui can be dull and easy to see things short period of time. If you want to spend more time exploring a lot head to phuket.

Can't speak for everyone but i've lived here since 2004 and this small island just suits me fine. Just realize phuket and samui are very different at least in terms of sheer size mainly. Anyway good luck and hope you find what your looking for.

The thing to keep in mind as a new resident anywhere is to ignore all the "it isn't what it used to be" stuff for the sole reason you weren't here then so you won't notice the change. Your point of reference will be different than the people who have been on Samui a long time. One example, the highest I saw the US dollar against the baht was 36 to 1 and I think that's a great rate but others remember when it was 44 to 1 so to them 36 to 1 doesn't seem as good as it does to me. I think the longtime Brit expats might remember when the pound dropped from 75 to 1 down to 48 to 1. Now THAT really sucks but the Brit fresh off the boat wouldn't feel the same.

I know of other places where I always catch myself saying "it isn't what it used to be" but for some reason new visitors still think it's great. So maybe with your fresh eyes you'll like Samui more. And like someone mentioned, if you play pool or like pub quizzes you can meet dozens of people on the island fast. There is also the Samui Expats Social Night Organization you can look into.

Edited by koheesti

A good way to gauge Samui is too look at the answers to these 2 questions !

How many people do you know who have moved off Samui to live in another part of Thailand ?

How many people do you know who have moved to Samui from another part of Thailand ?

Edited by alfieconn

till go almost every day. The beach doesn't wear off me

Costs- was looking at 15-20k ideally for a nice ish 1 bedded .

Heck, if that's your budget live in a resort long term. I did that on the Ring Road, ten minute walk from Fisherman's Village. I paid 12k for six months and after that THEY voluntarily lowered it to 10k for each month after that (daily rate was something like 2500 baht). Really nice people, the place was brand new, about 12 units, I had two rooms (BDR & front room/kitchenette), a pool, room service if I ever got hungry, the bed was the nicest I had on Samui and they would come in a clean it once a week or whenever I asked. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you the link - I think it's against forum rules to post it openly.

Alfie... Don't know any in either group unfortunately but assuming it's a bit of a rhetorical question?!

Ps will most likely be staying with friends until mid march/April so will get the start of low season.... Am I right thinking that samui has another high season more than Phuket ?!

Edited by Sydneycraig

Neither nor, as you are simply 20 years to late.

Both places are rip off too, very unfortunately.

Also, most people are not going to the beach anymore afer a few years,

while you realize all the negative aspects of living in a prime tourist area with only

money in mind and very little choices regarding to the rest of the kingdom.

Thailand is still great..... somewhere else.

Absolute nonsense.

Hi Craig,

Both places have got their plus & minuses.Being a rip off , that can happen anywhere from Bangkok, in your case Darling Harbour or whatever destination in the world. At the end of the day it's what you perceive as value for money.

Sure it's dearer in parts that mainstream Thailand or up country villages , but you still have choices of either International type bars & restaurants or local venues.

Many a debate on this forum about the cost of living here, again all depends on your life style & your spending power.

People that tell you it was great 20 years ago, are probably still living in another world. Places change & people change ,but the island still has a lot of charm & a lot to offer. Visitors that bother to get out of the main tourist areas will tell you the same.

You will see a lot of negative responses, most of them are from people that have somehow either had a failed business venture, failed relationships or tried to survive here on a shoestring budget. or perhaps Craig they got disappointed that the locals are not living in bamboo huts & come out & bow to the great foreigner (sorry couldn'thelp myself ).

You can travel around as I said outside the tourist areas & have a look. particularly South of the island.

You can get involved with local organisations , Expat clubs,Rotary etc... get to meet people from different walks of life.

Anyway , give it a go & make up your own mind, Good luck.

Excellent post. Don't go near the south of the island though. You'll never find a taxi. whistling.gif

A bit negative ! Hopefully many will disagree ?!

depends which way you look at the post !,

Both places are rip off too, very unfortunately - Agree, to the the first timer, but there are still some good places to be found, but takes time

Also, most people are not going to the beach anymore afer a few years, - this is in most parts true, long termers NEVER go to the beach !, novelty worn off

of living in a prime tourist area with only money in mind and very little choices - there is a point here, but it is what you make it !,

Long termers never go to the beach? Really?? biggrin.png

Alfie... Don't know any in either group unfortunately but assuming it's a bit of a rhetorical question?!

Ps will most likely be staying with friends until mid march/April so will get the start of low season.... Am I right thinking that samui has another high season more than Phuket ?!

Samui will suit easily...if it aint laid back enough just hop on a boat to Koh Phangan. smile.png

Edit: Regarding seasons...you don't need to worry about that until September....unless your fan is broken.

Edited by smokie36