Is This A Dumb Idea?

ChiangMai101

Pedestrian question from technopeasant:

We are moving to Chiang Mai in a few months and we are thinking of taking out the hard disk from our home PC and installing it in a new tower case that we can buy in Chiang Mai.

1) Do all new tower cases nowadays have room for a 2nd hard drive?

2) Is there a recommended and reliable person in Chiang Mai who can do this for us and also help with other things like setting up wireless internet etc? (A techie who can communicate in English who does work on the

side would be ideal.)

3) Is there a recommended computer shop which offers good service when purchasing new gear?

4) If we don't go the above route and just back up all our files onto a device it means we have to install all software on the new machine again, correct? (Sounds like hard work...saai.gif)

Thanks for all/any replies!

Just remember that the old hard drive in the new tower MAY NOT work as a "boot drive" due to possible differences in the motherboard "chip set" but should be fine as an extra storage drive

If the motherboard supports the newer SATA drives, you can even do it yourself, by removing the tower cover, plugging in the drive to the MB using a single SATA connector and the power cable to the drive

So that you don't have to re-install all your old programs I would suggest that you clone (make an exact copy) using a drive imaging program such as Clonezilla available for free here ( http://clonezilla.org/). Just be aware that cloning your hard drive will transfer any problems you may have had with the original drive

If you are wanting to basically switch on the computer here and it be the same as back home then i would say you need to bring the motherboard and graphics card if it has one etc and then simply buy a case and power supply here, fit to the new case and bob,s your uncle.

1) If the new computer has a different motherboard which it probably will there is a serious risk that windows will fail to start.

Could work fine but have to try it to find out.

2) simple backup will need all software installing.

As stated by the other posters here, you cannot use your drive as the main system drive unless you bought exactly identical components as were in your other PC (and then it may still give problems - BSODs - Blue Screen of Death). If you used it as a second drive then the programs on there would not be installed correctly (not entered in the registry). By the way you didn't mention which operating system you use so like everyone I am assuming some version of Windows.

As just suggested you could bring your PC components and build them into a case here to keep things simple. Another option is If you are using Windows you should bring your installation CD because in most Windows versions (I stopped at XP) you can try using your HD as the system disk and doing an upgrade installation using the CD. If that succeeds you would have full access to your applications and data and also be using different hardware.

Edited by sysardman

If you are wanting to basically switch on the computer here and it be the same as back home then i would say you need to bring the motherboard and graphics card if it has one etc and then simply buy a case and power supply here, fit to the new case and bob,s your uncle.

+1. The absolute simplest solution, guaranteed to work and what I would do.

Since the OP mentions installing the disk as a "second" disk is sounds as though it is only data, not OS

so there will be no problem.

Does CM have Tukcom, as that would be the place to look for shops and techies.. :D

Since the OP mentions installing the disk as a "second" disk is sounds as though it is only data, not OS

so there will be no problem.

Does CM have Tukcom, as that would be the place to look for shops and techies.. biggrin.png

As per the OPs question #4 it sounds to me like he has software on there too.

CM has Panthip plaza and IT city.

I had no problem putting in an internal hard drive I brought with me. There was no O/S on it. I usd it to transfer music, photos and movies stored on the drive already. It was set up as a slave drive and away it went.

If you do want to use the O/S on that drive then, yes, you will have problems.

If you are not moving here permanently and want to bring music and other files with you then copy them onto a portable drive.

One thing to note is that if you do bring the drive with you, make sure it is protected from being banged about. Best not to put it in your checked baggage as that can be thrown about a lot by baggage handlers.

assuming you run Windows XP and you have the installed o/s version on a CD (no matter whether legal or not) your chances are excellent that you can use the drive as a boot drive. at first boot windows checks the hardware and if you are very lucky it doesn't even ask for the installation CD but adjusts to the new hardware.

i have done it several times without any problems, recently with my wife's computer because it's a pain in the àss to install all problems again. but as you are getting a tower built hand over the drive to the one who does it and he will solve the problem.

assuming you run Windows XP and you have the installed o/s version on a CD (no matter whether legal or not) your chances are excellent that you can use the drive as a boot drive. at first boot windows checks the hardware and if you are very lucky it doesn't even ask for the installation CD but adjusts to the new hardware.

i have done it several times without any problems, recently with my wife's computer because it's a pain in the àss to install all problems again. but as you are getting a tower built hand over the drive to the one who does it and he will solve the problem.

You have been very, very, lucky - I've swapped a CPU in one machine (same make & type, just faster cpu) and been plagued by BSODs and in other computers with more drastic changes I've had numerous faults.

As for your second comment, the OP is asking for recommendations for someone to do the job.

If installing a drive with a Windows OS into a new machine as the main drive then you will almost certainly have to reinstall the OS and your programmes. If it's to use a second drive you wont need to do anything special.

I recently brought back a used motherboard, RAM, processor, hard drive and graphics card in my carry-on luggage (Heathrow x-ray security had kittens smile.png ), and a 24in monitor and 650w power supply in my suitcase and then re-assembled them with a case and DVD burner I bought here. I reinstalled Windows (I didn't have to but it had been in use for a year so it was time) and saved myself quite a lot of money on the cost of a new PC.

If installing a drive with a Windows OS into a new machine as the main drive then you will almost certainly have to reinstall the OS and your programmes. If it's to use a second drive you wont need to do anything special.

I recently brought back a used motherboard, RAM, processor, hard drive and graphics card in my carry-on luggage (Heathrow x-ray security had kittens smile.png ), and a 24in monitor and 650w power supply in my suitcase and then re-assembled them with a case and DVD burner I bought here. I reinstalled Windows (I didn't have to but it had been in use for a year so it was time) and saved myself quite a lot of money on the cost of a new PC.

Wow you must be the guy that walks around in socks and underpants because there was no room in your luggage for clothesgiggle.gif

I'm assuming the monitor was a flat screen otherwise it would have cost the price of a new PC in excess baggage if it was a CRT. You must also have a lot of faith in the baggage handlers.

Anyway to the OP I would recommend deng50 to do the job - well because he's just volunteered (obviously not an army man - never volunteer for anything). Hope it all goes well.

If it's just for the data on it, it is way easier to remove the drive and have someone put it into a USB enclosure before you go. Then just hook it up to a free USB port on your new computer and done.

If it's a powered enclosure, make sure the power supply supports 220V/50Hz (most newer ones auto switch nowadays, but check before buying)

Wow you must be the guy that walks around in socks and underpants because there was no room in your luggage for clothesgiggle.gif

I'm assuming the monitor was a flat screen otherwise it would have cost the price of a new PC in excess baggage if it was a CRT. You must also have a lot of faith in the baggage handlers.

It was an LCD, of course. Haven't used a CRT for ages. My main suitcase is very robust and short of destroying it I dont think any amount of bad handling would cause any damage.

The contents of my baggage (28kg checked and nearly 40kg in total, SwissAir didnt say a word) was unusual to say the least. Security had two sets of kittens; one lot for the electronics and another for the shrink-wrapped bacon which registered as a fluid. Add to that crumpets, Marmite, 16 pairs of cotton socks from M&S, T-shirts from Primark, Hula-Hoops, fancy wireless headphones, ground coffee, a thousand T-bags, Tesco Mince Pies and Xmas pudding, a flatbed scanner, 3 good HDMI leads, several other cables and adaptors, a pair of decent trainers, some books and I forget what else.

In order to use the programs already installed on the old disk you will have to be able to boot from that disc to run the operating system in which each of these programs have been installed including all corresponding registry settings. Then that registry may contain essential program related application settings. Be aware some of those programs (including the booted operating system already installed on the old disk) could have additional not well and clearly documented license and copy related protections which may or may not relate to missing old and/or actual new different hardware installed making a simple copy of installed programs between two too different machines by a simple exchange of discs almost impossible to do. Be sure that all hardware on those machines is the same. Hopefully that will allow and successfully do the trick. But there are no real guarantees that it will work. Other problems that can come up when you are going to use the old disk are specific unsolvable network related problems related to the contents of the old registry and corresponding old driver software not properly matching new network hardware, eventually requiring a complete repartitioning and reinstall of the operating system and all of its programs. Yes, you can simply connect the old disk and see what happens, but nobody will be able to help you in case specific problems do occur. Those problems will be very hard to understand. You will also not be able to trust some of your old programs anymore, become much too dependent upon what todays creator of that program may have added as an undocumented unexpected surprise. Your new system will already be crippled before being able to make full use of it and only the creator of that program will be able to know and see that, internet forums will be filled with similar problems unsolved, no really good working solutions, only forcing you going to use his or her latest program update in order to keep generating money. Solving those modern most nasty little issues will cost you much more time, thus money than simply reinstalling all software. No, it is entirely up to you to decide, but I would start to install all software on that new machine again (for also being able to check whether or not all new hardware functions are working properly) and at the same time save the initial installation software of these programs including their licenses at a save place somewhere. That’s the savest and normal way to do it. After installation of all programs and operating system updates, before using the machine, I would make a complete disk image of the boot device that can be restored in case of severe future problems. I would not rely too much upon the presence of restore points because in case of severe future problems that functionality needs to be able to start and operate in a maybe too much troubled environment.

It was an LCD, of course. Haven't used a CRT for ages. My main suitcase is very robust and short of destroying it I dont think any amount of bad handling would cause any damage.

The contents of my baggage (28kg checked and nearly 40kg in total, SwissAir didnt say a word) was unusual to say the least. Security had two sets of kittens; one lot for the electronics and another for the shrink-wrapped bacon which registered as a fluid. Add to that crumpets, Marmite, 16 pairs of cotton socks from M&S, T-shirts from Primark, Hula-Hoops, fancy wireless headphones, ground coffee, a thousand T-bags, Tesco Mince Pies and Xmas pudding, a flatbed scanner, 3 good HDMI leads, several other cables and adaptors, a pair of decent trainers, some books and I forget what else.

Wow - hope you got the wife to carry that lot, that's hernia country!!!

Last time I went a couple of kilos over they had me repack my bags (Air Asia) and move some from my checked into my carry on - red tape or what, it all goes on the same plane after all.

What brand were your teabags??

In order to use the programs already installed on the old disk you will have to be able to boot from that disc to run the operating system in which each of these programs have been installed including all corresponding registry settings. Then that registry may contain essential program related application settings. Be aware some of those programs (including the booted operating system already installed on the old disk) could have additional not well and clearly documented license and copy related protections which may or may not relate to missing old and/or actual new different hardware installed making a simple copy of installed programs between two too different machines by a simple exchange of discs almost impossible to do. Be sure that all hardware on those machines is the same. Hopefully that will allow and successfully do the trick. But there are no real guarantees that it will work. Other problems that can come up when you are going to use the old disk are specific unsolvable network related problems related to the contents of the old registry and corresponding old driver software not properly matching new network hardware, eventually requiring a complete repartitioning and reinstall of the operating system and all of its programs. Yes, you can simply connect the old disk and see what happens, but nobody will be able to help you in case specific problems do occur. Those problems will be very hard to understand. You will also not be able to trust some of your old programs anymore, become much too dependent upon what todays creator of that program may have added as an undocumented unexpected surprise. Your new system will already be crippled before being able to make full use of it and only the creator of that program will be able to know and see that, internet forums will be filled with similar problems unsolved, no really good working solutions, only forcing you going to use his or her latest program update in order to keep generating money. Solving those modern most nasty little issues will cost you much more time, thus money than simply reinstalling all software. No, it is entirely up to you to decide, but I would start to install all software on that new machine again (for also being able to check whether or not all new hardware functions are working properly) and at the same time save the initial installation software of these programs including their licenses at a save place somewhere. That’s the savest and normal way to do it. After installation of all programs and operating system updates, before using the machine, I would make a complete disk image of the boot device that can be restored in case of severe future problems. I would not rely too much upon the presence of restore points because in case of severe future problems that functionality needs to be able to start and operate in a maybe too much troubled environment.

Holy schmoly - think we'll just bring the laptops!

THUS SPAKE ZARATHUSTRA - what a picture of doom and gloom, I felt like ending it all after reading that

Must work for Microsoftangry.png OP I would take that post with a pinch of salt

Edited by sysardman

<painted picture of gloom and doom snipped>

THUS SPAKE ZARATHUSTRA - what a picture of doom and gloom, I felt like ending it all after reading that

When will usage of social media become easy ? To be very clear, it was not my intention to disturb other ongoing discussions. Please continue and make me and others laugh.

Yes, I am afraid my initial unintentionally painted picture of gloom and doom does indeed relate to politics. But the existence of that picture is clearly related not to one of my personal most favourate not living philosophers, Friedrich Nietzsche, or related to me as a person J, but to other less conscious machines, currently, almost continuously connected to internet. And, no, I am lucky to be not one of the garbage disposal experts of Microsofts helpdesk.

When will usage of social media become easy ? To be very clear, it was not my intention to disturb other ongoing discussions. Please continue and make me and others laugh.

Yes, I am afraid my initial unintentionally painted picture of gloom and doom does indeed relate to politics. But the existence of that picture is clearly related not to one of my personal most favourate not living philosophers, Friedrich Nietzsche, or related to me as a person J, but to other less conscious machines, currently, almost continuously connected to internet. And, no, I am lucky to be not one of the garbage disposal experts of Microsofts helpdesk.

You must be German right or does the nl in your nickname imply Dutch??? I say that because of your odd use of English and your failure to recognize English humour. My comments were made because prior to your post the situation was resolved. Many suggestions how to avoid the pitfalls highlighted in your post and an offer from another member to do the job for him. Then you come along and scare the living crap out of the guy with your 'end of the world is nigh' ramblings, many of which are well and truly wrong, and the guy is having second thoughts now.

Take a chill pill, stop regurgitating Microsoft user manual crap and take a lesson from life - a problem is there to be solved not feared.

PS please use a bigger font because reading your post makes both my brain and eyes hurt.

FYI Windows 7 doesn't have the same issues with swapping out the hardware, and if necessary can just do a "repair install".

But of course much easier to keep your data on a separate drive - I do that and just use the extra space on the C: drive to hold big temp/working files, non-essential media can always grab off the net if lost, extra backups of the primary data drive, etc.

Last time I went a couple of kilos over they had me repack my bags (Air Asia) and move some from my checked into my carry on - red tape or what, it all goes on the same plane after all.

What brand were your teabags??

Best to avoid the "discount" airlines when it comes to overweight luggage. The good ones just slap a "heavy" label on the bag.

I brought a mixture of hard-water Yorkshire and PG Tips.

You must be German right or does the nl in your nickname imply Dutch??? I say that because of your odd use of English and your failure to recognize English humour. My comments were made because prior to your post the situation was resolved. Many suggestions how to avoid the pitfalls highlighted in your post and an offer from another member to do the job for him. Then you come along and scare the living crap out of the guy with your 'end of the world is nigh' ramblings, many of which are well and truly wrong, and the guy is having second thoughts now.

Take a chill pill, stop regurgitating Microsoft user manual crap and take a lesson from life - a problem is there to be solved not feared.

PS please use a bigger font because reading your post makes both my brain and eyes hurt.

Thank you for your advice / hint. I am male, do have blue eyes and blond hair. Officially, on paper, yes, I am Dutch, but I do not tend to believe everything that has been written down on paper or what people say and write down. After a few generations we all seem to have a mixed up brain, in Europe not independent of past wars and the flow of water. After having revealed how I look like and where I am coming from I feel Voltaires “Candide, ou l’optimism.” is as accurate and applicable now as Nietzsche is may be for you to the actual contents of this thread. I hope you can take my two hints too.

Jac.

Thank you for your advice / hint. I am male, do have blue eyes and blond hair. Officially, on paper, yes, I am Dutch, but I do not tend to believe everything that has been written down on paper or what people say and write down. After a few generations we all seem to have a mixed up brain, in Europe not independent of past wars and the flow of water. After having revealed how I look like and where I am coming from I feel Voltaires “Candide, ou l’optimism.” is as accurate and applicable now as Nietzsche is may be for you to the actual contents of this thread. I hope you can take my two hints too.

Jac.

Sorry, when did I mention what you looked like?- all I did was make an educated guess at your nationality. It's a known fact that many of our overseas cousins fail to grasp the British humour.

As for your hints - well,,way over my head. You are still using that odd adaptation of the English language that no English person would ever use.

And as for the topic itself (remember the disk?) It's resolved, finished, it's a dead parrot!

Edited by sysardman