Help? - New Retiree Moving To Thailand

greyfox9

Hello to All in Thailand

I will be arriving in Thailand in early March, 2004 and need some help deciding where to live for the next one to five years. In 2001 I visited Chiang Mai and Bangkok, as a tourist. Now I plan to return as an “Expat resident” and am looking for a Region and City to “set up house”.

BACKGROUND: In 2001 I worked for a year in Singapore and Hong Kong and really enjoyed the cultures and history of Asia. Now, as a single retired gentleman with “moderate means”, I want to establish Thailand as my “base camp” and travel through much of S. E. Asia. Before I leave the USA I will obtain the Thai Non-Immigrant Visa.

Based upon my research, I am currently interested in: Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Ko Saumi, Phuket, Krabi and Bangkok. However, I am still open to other suggestions. I will spend my first six weeks in Thailand visiting each of the Regions/Cities that are targeted as a potential location for taking up residence.

NOW, I NEED YOUR HELP! I am trying to get general answers from “Expats on-site” to the following five questions about each City/Region.

1) What areas in your City do you recommend to look for apartment rentals? (and WHY?)

2) How much (in Baht) should I plan for monthly rental for “the average” two bedroom apartment?

3) What is the “best” method to quickly learn the Thai language?

4) Is there some type of local Expat and/or International social scene in your City?

5) Please provide any other comments or suggestions that you could share about your City/Region.

Thank You, in advance, for your assistance in helping me with this information.

Best Regards

Darrell

I am a Chiang Mai resident and heartily recommend it.

1) What areas in your City do you recommend to look for apartment rentals? (and WHY?)
Entirely up to you and if you have your own transport/ what kind of transport you have. If you have a car, I recommend a bit out of town for clean air and, mostly, quiet life.
2) How much (in Baht) should I plan for monthly rental for ?the average? two bedroom apartment?

From 5,000 upwards, depending on the condo building.

3) What is the ?best? method to quickly learn the Thai language?
The classic response is with a sleeping dictionary. Failing that, the AUA run some very popular courses and there are many other alternatives.
4) Is there some type of local Expat and/or International social scene in your City?

Yes, several clubs, groups and meeting places depending on your interests.

5) Please provide any other comments or suggestions that you could share about your City/Region.

I chose Chiang Mai because I find almost everything I need, as a non Thai, is available here. This is not the case over much of Thailand.

We have a good selection of supermarkets and food shops with Western and other ingredients.

We have a good selection of book shops offering English as well as other languages apart from Thai.

International food available in restaurants from almost anywhere except Greece. Although there are rumours that a Greek restaurant is opening soon.

The medical support here is very good, if you heed heart or brain transplant, go to Bangkok :o otherwise we have all you could need.

I find the climate here suits me, without the heat of the more Southern regions.

Minutes from city to pristine mountains...

Lastly. It is much cheaper to live here than in most other areas.

When I first came here I lived in Chiang mai, but after a few months got tired of the traffic and pollution,almost as bad as BKK,so I found Phetchabun and like it here,not as farang as CM,more Thai with friendly people and a cleaner place to live with out the traffic problems and pollution, close to the mountains all around and easier to get to them.

But it is all in what you are looking for,so you should not make a firm plan as to where you want to stay before you come and look around,I can get what ever I need here and it is about half way between CM and BKK.

There are a few farang living here that have married Thai women and built some nice homes,everything seems to be cheaper and life is easier. and I would never live or reccomend to anyone to live in a big city such as CM. in Thailand.

http://www.thailandguidebook.com/provinces/phetchabun.html

Hello to All in Thailand

Based upon my research, I am currently interested in: Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Ko Saumi, Phuket, Krabi and Bangkok. However, I am still open to other suggestions. I will spend my first six weeks in Thailand visiting each of the Regions/Cities that are targeted as a potential location for taking up residence.

NOW, I NEED YOUR HELP! I am trying to get general answers from “Expats on-site” to the following five questions about each City/Region.

2) How much (in Baht) should I plan for monthly rental for “the average” two bedroom apartment?

3) What is the “best” method to quickly learn the Thai language?

Thank You, in advance, for your assistance in helping me with this information.

Best Regards

Darrell

IMHO you have to decide what exactly you would like to do while retired.

Bangkok is good if you would like to have a medium or major businees. However, you can do this almost everywhere in Thailand. Bangkok is the main cell of nightlife in Thailand so to speak.

I would choose the south i.e. Krabi, Phuket, Samui if I really would like to have my life close to the sea, dive very often or reading and having peace in my heart all the time. Girls are everywhere but these places have little developed nightlife scene if compared to Bangkok. In fact, Phuket is quite good in nightlife but the island is getting closer and closer to adopt a Pattaya look, so to speak. I don't like it for instance.

Chiang Mai is also a good bet. The excellent weather is a plus.

In Bangkok a 2-bedroom apartment is around US $400 - 500. However, these fares will vary enormously depending on the location and the utilities you would like to get. It also depends on the neighborhood....Check OnNut area and rajdamri areas for instance....

Pattaya has cheaper rates but the nightlife scene is something to see once in a while but not a place to live at IMHO.

Just my two cents.

Hi,

I will try to give you an insight into life in Phuket. First of all let me tell that I am not retired but I hope I can help you.

I have lived in few areas of the island and now live in the very south in an area called Nai Harn which is really part of a bigger area called Rawai.

There are a lot of retired people living in this area as well as other expats. Its a less touristy area than most of the island and has some very nice housing as well as nice bars and restaurants. House rental/bungalow rental probably starts in in region of 7000 baht per month up to 15000 per month for a two bed bungalow/house.

The area although dominated by farang houses, still retains a Thai feel and locals that do live here are very friendly, unlike other areas of the island were foreigners are just seen as walking cash machines. We have made some very good friends including the village head man.

Of course we also have some very nice beaches less than half a kilometre away, although swimming from these is not safe from May to November because of a very strong rip tide. If your into Windsurfing or want to have a go Nai Harn is one of the best places in Southern Thailand.

In terms of learning Thai there are many language schools on the island and also some very good freelance teachers who will teach you in a more informal environment. Obviously mixing with a lot of Thais is also a good learning and that is not difficult down here people are very friendly. There are of course also many girls in the bars that will only be too glad to help you with your Thai!!!

The social scene in Phuket is probably very similar to other tourist areas of Thailand there are a number of social groups that have regular meeting in various parts of the island. In terms of social life down here its very easy to get into it because it is a relatively small community so as you get out and about you see the same faces around and very quickly get to know a lot of people. I've only been living in this part of the island for about 8 months but I already know more people than I did in London in 6 years there.

The weather is probably hotter than most areas with the dry season lasting from November to April, then there is the wet season which is still very warm but some rain mainly in the night and then the true rainy season when it cools down a bit and tends to rain and flood for days at a time. So if you rent something here make sure it has either good drainage or is on high ground. Actually I quite like the rainy season, there are a lot less tourists and its easier to get a bargain.

You said you were looking at exploring the rest of Asia well Phuket is well placed for that with good direct to flight connections to Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, China, Korea and Australia (plus some others depending on the season).

Plus if you do get down here and need a guide I can let you have the wife for a very reasonable rate, only joking, she's very expensive. No really I can always spare a day if you need someone to show you around.

Good luck

phuket Mike

I wish to add a short outlook on health facilities.

In Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket are very good, up to international standards. While in Krabi and Koh Samui for instance are not so good.

In Phuket town there are three main private hospitals.

The Bangkok Hospital in my opinion is the best.

Well if you want to talk of hospitals and doctors,,we have 4 big hospitals in Phetchabun counting the govt. hospital where our ins. says we must go for them to pay,but yesterday I went to a Large Private one and saw an Otho Dr. the last one I saw in the States was$100 and $50 for meads,,yesterday I got 2 Xrays, Meads and the Dr. visit for $13 and if needed I could have had a MRI.so we ain't "country".

and I have enfazema and my pulmonary Dr. most generally won't accept payment of any amount. so every once in awhile I will slip the nurse 500 baht.

and we have as good weather as Chiang Mai with out the pollution and heavy traffic.and a lot better prices.We have a big low traffic airport and direct bus service to BKK. :o

Please bookmark our webpage:

http://homepage.mac.com/mgnewman/KenLat/

Within the homepage you will find a very extensive list of Books on Asia, info on Asia, Thailand, Bangkok, Pattaya Beach, Travel tips, forums, hotels, and so much more. Just use the handy subheadings list on the left hand column of the homepage to page down to the subheadings that are of interest to you.

And please share our URL addy with all your friends/family.

Ken Lat Bower

San Antonio Texas

Visiting Thailand since 1971