Brit Killed Taking Bottle Of Water From Fridge

mickscottatlanta

BRITON DIES ON HOLIDAY

Grant Harrison was electrocuted after reaching to take a bottle of water from a fridge.

The 36 year old from Stokesley, North Yorkshire, was a loyal Middlesbrough fan. Last night 200 tributes were left on a football messaging site.

One said: “He was a fantastic mate.”

Source:-

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/294226/Briton-dies-on-holiday

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course they keep things like this quiet. Thais hate loosing face. When i was in Ko Ngai i spoke with a Swedish guy. There was a guy murdered next to him in the bungalow while he stayed in Koh lipe. we are talking early november 2011. His body was found in the ocean and blood all over the bungalow. Never made the papers.. they called it an accident. But when the guy pressed the owner of the resort who tried to deny it the owner said... if they guy died it was because of a relation problem.

BTW the guy telling me was Swedish and had his family with him. They stayed in the bungalow nex to this guy (separated by one empty bungalow). The police when they came (20 from the mainland) never asked them any questions while they were there presumably when he was killed.

Also let us not forget the deaths in chang mai that were kept quiet.

they are not just keeping this one quiet, they keep them all quiet. to be honest they are not newsworthy, they are regular occurrences, unremarkable.

2 weeks ago on Koh Phangan i watched a drunk Russian kid of around 25 years of age round a corner out of our village at about 60-70 Kmh. He was in my lane and as i moved wide to avoid him, he dropped off an unmarked culvert, or rather his bike did. He continued moving forward at the same pace until he contacted the opposite bank and very likely a set of valves attached to the water main. his tracks in the sand and on the grass indicate he never even braked.

As first on the scene and a witness to the crash, i could see he was obviously shattered with a broken neck and broken arms that i could see, he would not respond to my calls. Unfortunately neither would any of the island rescue services and he slowly expired, likely drowning in his own blood while we waited almost 2 hours for any one of the 3 rescue services called to appear. by the time he died it was quite an event with 20+ locals and tourists as witnesses some very admirably offering whatever comfort they could to ensure he did not die alone.

the next day, the monks and the tesseban had been on site. red saftey gates marking the culvert had been put up, flouro banners in orange and green had been hung and a ton or so of dirt had been put in to fill the hole he had dropped into.

A few days later, his girlfriend added flowers and his picture to mark the scene of his death.

oddly there has been no report anywhere of his death.

Edited by nocturn

they are not just keeping this one quiet, they keep them all quiet. to be honest they are not newsworthy, they are regular occurrences, unremarkable.

2 weeks ago on Koh Phangan i watched a drunk Russian kid of around 25 years of age round a corner out of our village at about 60-70 Kmh. He was in my lane and as i moved wide to avoid him, he dropped off an unmarked culvert, or rather his bike did. He continued moving forward at the same pace until he contacted the opposite bank and very likely a set of valves attached to the water main. his tracks in the sand and on the grass indicate he never even braked.

As first on the scene and a witness to the crash, i could see he was obviously shattered with a broken neck and broken arms that i could see, he would not respond to my calls. Unfortunately neither would any of the island rescue services and he slowly expired, likely drowning in his own blood while we waited almost 2 hours for any one of the 3 rescue services called to appear. by the time he died it was quite an event with 20+ locals and tourists as witnesses some very admirably offering whatever comfort they could to ensure he did not die alone.

the next day, the monks and the tesseban had been on site. red saftey gates marking the culvert had been put up, flouro banners in orange and green had been hung and a ton or so of dirt had been put in to fill the hole he had dropped into.

A few days later, his girlfriend added flowers and his picture to mark the scene of his death.

Too bad you, nor anyone who was there knew anything about First Aid and/or ABC's (Airway Breathing and Circulation priorities to help sustain life).

If no Rescue available, could have taken the injured guy by pick up truck to the hospital.

Yes sometimes better to wait, but without any help, doing the best one can to help get a victim to the hospital is all that can be done.

Edited by KimoMax

Looks like a lot of folks (TVisa News included) skipped over the "Plan Wan" of the Charn Issara family and Jeremy Renner stabbing in Phuket this week as well. Was looking forward to the biased class war envy posts.

:)

Looks like a lot of folks (TVisa News included) skipped over the "Plan Wan" of the Charn Issara family and Jeremy Renner stabbing in Phuket this week as well. Was looking forward to the biased class war envy posts.

smile.png

The staff who stabbed that tycoon's son are pretty screwed though. I don't think there's anywhere to run and hide for them. Although it's a bit too high profile to just disappear them though.

Too bad you, nor anyone who was there knew anything about First Aid and/or ABC's (Airway Breathing and Circulation priorities to help sustain life).

If no Rescue available, could have taken the injured guy by pick up truck to the hospital.

Yes sometimes better to wait, but without any help, doing the best one can to help get a victim to the hospital is all that can be done.

I have industrial first aid, but his neck was clearly broken, though his airway appeared clear. he was bleeding from both the ears and mouth. pupils were also blown. transporting him in a suzuki was not an option given the nature of his injuries. By the time we realized that "qualified" help was not forthcoming it was too late.

i also am uncertain how the authorities would have reacted had i rocked up to the hospital with a corpse in my jeep.

some well meaning french tourists actually did attempt to put him into the "rescue position" despite my but i suspect their misguided efforts only helped him along.

they moved on shortly after and did not get to watch the fruit of their labours.

Edited by nocturn

I have industrial first aid, but his neck was clearly broken, though his airway appeared clear. he was bleeding from both the ears and mouth. pupils were also blown. transporting him in a suzuki was not an option given the nature of his injuries. By the time we realized that "qualified" help was not forthcoming it was too late.

i also am uncertain how the authorities would have reacted had i rocked up to the hospital with a corpse in my jeep.

some well meaning french tourists actually did attempt to put him into the "rescue position" despite my but i suspect their misguided efforts only helped him along.

they moved on shortly after and did not get to watch the fruit of their labours.

It is difficult here in Thailand to assist a sick or injured person with the potential for liability.

Any assistance by a foreigner should be appropriate and judicious. Care of the Neck and Back are utmost iportant and ABC's. Left lateral position if possible is best with neck and back precautions.

The rest should be handled by the local Rescue if available. If not any transport must be done appropriate and judiciously.

smile.png

The staff who stabbed that tycoon's son are pretty screwed though. I don't think there's anywhere to run and hide for them. Although it's a bit too high profile to just disappear them though.

Yeah, I think the 'time to apprehend' was less than a day at most... and it was around 6 different people. Judging from the photos of the wounds in the paper, I'm sure a lot of 'varsity squad' doctors at Bangkok Phuket Hospital were waken up in the middle of the night that night to keep that kid alive.

:)

Sorry to hear about this fatal accident. However, I find this hard to understand. How can a fridge, which is covered in a "plastic" casing become electrically live? unsure.png

Yeah ! it's sad a young 36yr old man dying from something like that, there has to be something more to it for sure. RIP.

3?? deaths on the roads over xmas too...not many reports of each individual death....

Only Farang deaths are worthy....[in some circles]

Depends.. these kind of deaths show potential tourists how unsafe it can be. So yea id like them to be reported but people in the tourist industry like them suppressed. But you guys got a point so many deaths in Thailand its quite normal for people to die here.

• Like 1

I can't help but think that Thailand is overwhelmed with the shear amount of deaths in all forms and involving all nationalities on a daily basis.

There isn't a national ambulance service together with all the other services involved with dealing with accidents and deaths.

They just scrape by and never have the mentality of 'Prevention is better than cure'.

Oh well, RIP and my thoughts go to his family.

Stay safe.

jap.gifjap.gifjap.gif

I can't help but think that Thailand is overwhelmed with the shear amount of deaths in all forms and involving all nationalities on a daily basis.

I'd like to see the real stats and factual basis that support this exaggerated and presumpuous comment.

• Like 1

I'd like to see the real stats and factual basis that support this exaggerated and presumpuous comment.

The last UK Foreign Office figure I saw for deaths of UK nationals in Thailand was 269 in a single year. If anyone could be bothered going through the figures for the rest of the nationalities I think you will find it is not so preposterous.

The question then would be how many were natural deaths, accidental deaths, suspicious deaths, and deaths caused by stupidity and recklessness.

Here is the link for the latest UK national death figure in Thailand I can find

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7553643.stm

How about other nationalities contibuting the figures for their country then we will start to get a fuller picture.

3?? deaths on the roads over xmas too...not many reports of each individual death....

Only Farang deaths are worthy....[in some circles]

i believe these deaths were farang deaths. yet drunken motorcycle accidents rarely get reported as they are so common.

only on the rare occasion of a well-known local business owner or similar would the word of mouth be sufficient that you would hear of it.

Sorry to hear about this fatal accident. However, I find this hard to understand. How can a fridge, which is covered in a "plastic" casing become electrically live? unsure.png

I'm guessing he had no shoes on. That must be some electrical leak though. Probably came in through holding the door rather than bottle and hit ground through his flip flop less feet. Presumably many other people opening fridge but happen to wear shoes. Living here makes you paranoid, I even put on rubber flip flops to change a light bulb.

Me too, but we will never know the real stats about anything here right?

The thing is that Statistics seem not to be not recorded properly in Thailand and many other Country's, only in the UK with all the health and safety Laws that are imposed on us from the EEC, we records and Advertise to the world all our misgivings.

The thing is that Statistics seem not to be not recorded properly in Thailand and many other Country's, only in the UK with all the health and safety Laws that are imposed on us from the EEC, we records and Advertise to the world all our misgivings.

You would imagine that you would get some accurate figures from European countries at least. They are covered by the same directives.

Briton electrocuted by fridge in Turkey back in 2004 http://www.telegraph...-in-Turkey.html, I guess Brits and fridges don't mix. In this Thailand case he was probably drenched in sweat when he reached for the bottle of water and that might have electrocuted him.

Where does it report he was drenched in sweat ??

Why would that have killed the guy taking a bottle out of a fridge ??

The last UK Foreign Office figure I saw for deaths of UK nationals in Thailand was 269 in a single year. If anyone could be bothered going through the figures for the rest of the nationalities I think you will find it is not so preposterous.

The question then would be how many were natural deaths, accidental deaths, suspicious deaths, and deaths caused by stupidity and recklessness.

Here is the link for the latest UK national death figure in Thailand I can find

http://news.bbc.co.u...ews/7553643.stm

How about other nationalities contibuting the figures for their country then we will start to get a fuller picture.

Interesting stats on the amount brits that visited Thailand 0.86 Million

So you told them not to turn him, and they pushed you away and did it anyway. God save us from the ignorant!

Once you handle a cervical fracture, you can't just leave them till professional help arrives, but must continue to stabilise the neck. Best left alone unless you have the human resources available.

Anyway, you did the right thing by not moving him yourself. IMO had you done so, you would have been liable for the outcome. Handling of cervical fractures should only be done by properly trained persons.

If it's of any comfort, he was responsible the moment he started to drive drunk. Sad though.