Saw My First Accident Happen This Morning.

kenny999

Driving back from Dowroong school this morning when a young lad(English speaking maybe Indian, pulled out in front of a Thai girl hitting her and knocking her and her bike to the ground, lad stopped as did I, I helped the girl to the side of the road with a couple of other Thai's, I tried to see if the girl was okay apart from the obvious but she ignored me, I called my gf and tried to hand the phone to her she ignored this also, the lad was very sorry and just wanted to do the right thing but the girl ignored everyone, in the end I told the lad to go as there is no point in staying, I am sure if the girl had said something the lad would have given her some money to help with the doctor or hospital but she did not want to talk to anyone, oh well up to her!!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She might have been in some type of shock.

No she was okay and talking on the phone I assume to husband or bf, her foot was very badly bruised so I don't think shock was the problem!! tried to help, the lad did come back, I tried to give her the phone so she could talk to my Thai gf but she refused all help, she Even ignored the couple of Thai's that helped her!

No she was okay and talking on the phone I assume to husband or bf, her foot was very badly bruised so I don't think shock was the problem!! tried to help, the lad did come back, I tried to give her the phone so she could talk to my Thai gf but she refused all help, she Even ignored the couple of Thai's that helped her!

Good to hear people tried to help

watched a bike and a samlor crashing in central junction. Bike taking off at red before green, samlor when it had already changed to red, so both at fault. Samlor upside down, rider several bleeding wounds, huge smile on his face, which in Thai tells me " I am sorry, I know I was at fault, dont worry about me and please dont call the cops". Some bike riders flipped his samlor with the rubber side down again, and they all took off. All problems solved.

katabeacbum Highwaypolice Volunteer could take offcoffee1.gif

some get angry, some start to cry, some keep on smiling, some go into shock, some heart simply stops, we are all different

but your advice to tell one of the involved to leave was not very clever, thats police work

Have to agree, not the wisest advice nor the one to be giving it IMO.

Thats her Thai way of dealing with it.everyone is diferrent..ITS GOOD TO HELP.. but dont get involved thats the polices job

Sorry to say this but I am totally oblivios to accidents here.I saw 3 in the space of 10 mins on my way to the airport the other day.

I did stop once many years ago and nearly got beat up by a group of Thais who appeared on the scene later thinking it was my fault and demanding money.

So now I leave it up to them.

Sorry to say this but I am totally oblivios to accidents here.I saw 3 in the space of 10 mins on my way to the airport the other day.

I did stop once many years ago and nearly got beat up by a group of Thais who appeared on the scene later thinking it was my fault and demanding money.

Sadly that is sound advice. Don't stop or get involved. If the mob smells money then it's your fault and plenty of 'witnesses' will state that.

Sadly that is sound advice. Don't stop or get involved. If the mob smells money then it's your fault and plenty of 'witnesses' will state that.

The lad had no idea what to do but great that he stopped and came back,he had no one to call who was Thai and the girl refused all help from everyone, the best thing to do was to go as she was not badly hurt just a very bruised ankle, I am assuming she was on the phone to her husband or bf, if he had stayed with no one Thai to turn to it could have been bad for him, husband or bf would have not been best pleased, we tried to help her she refused help from me and the other Thai's!! so in the circumstances I think it was good advice for him to go!!

It's a sad state of affairs when you feel you can not stop to help anyone, god forbid it's you that is involved in an accident and everyone rides on by!!

Edited by kenny999

It's a sad state of affairs when you feel you can not stop to help anyone, god forbid it's you that is involved in an accident and everyone rides on by!!

Yes Kenny it is a sad state of affairs in this modern world, and not just in Thailand. Plenty of people don't stop in the western world for fear of being sued. When I first arrived in Thailand I was quite shocked by advice to pass-on-by. But sadly after some experience from people who did stop, police were called, and suddenly they were at fault and money demanded. It's a sad world....

• Like 1

Yes Kenny it is a sad state of affairs in this modern world, and not just in Thailand. Plenty of people don't stop in the western world for fear of being sued. When I first arrived in Thailand I was quite shocked by advice to pass-on-by. But sadly after some experience from people who did stop, police were called, and suddenly they were at fault and money demanded. It's a sad world....

I suppose you are right and I must now think about riding on by, it's against my principles but you have to do what you have to do to protect yourself!!

The lad had no idea what to do but great that he stopped and came back,he had no one to call who was Thai and the girl refused all help from everyone, the best thing to do was to go as she was not badly hurt just a very bruised ankle, I am assuming she was on the phone to her husband or bf, if he had stayed with no one Thai to turn to it could have been bad for him, husband or bf would have not been best pleased, we tried to help her she refused help from me and the other Thai's!! so in the circumstances I think it was good advice for him to go!!

I think you acted correctly by stopping and offering help, and disagree with advice not to do so.

I do agree with KBB and others that the advice to the offender to go on his way was not a wise one though.

Bit sad when things come to that. However, it is advice I would take on board and heed hearing it from a long term ex pat such as yourself and starkeyR

I think you acted correctly by stopping and offering help, and disagree with advice not to do so.

I do agree with KBB and others that the advice to the offender to go on his way was not a wise one though.

I was not happy in telling him to go but again he had no one Thai to talk to, he had no idea what to do,I was concerned about leaving him on his own with a girl that obviously did not want to communicate in any way, I will always stop to help even if others say don't, again she was not badly hurt so it was advisable for him to leave, if the girl had acknowledged him instead of ignoring him things would have turned out okay, she would have got compensation etc in hind site I should have got my gf to call our friend who is a Sergent Major in Chalong police station but to late now!!

I was not happy in telling him to go but again he had no one Thai to talk to, he had no idea what to do,I was concerned about leaving him on his own with a girl that obviously did not want to communicate in any way, I will always stop to help even if others say don't, again she was not badly hurt so it was advisable for him to leave, if the girl had acknowledged him instead of ignoring him things would have turned out okay, she would have got compensation etc in hind site I should have got my gf to call our friend who is a Sergent Major in Chalong police station but to late now!!

out of jurisdiction, Dowroong is Phuket City Police

and my advice would be to not stop at accident scenes, you easily have 10 witnesses stating you are at fault, even arriving 3 minutes after impact. Highwaypolice recruit hundreds of volunteers each year to handle this. I would not stop if I dont have my police ID with me. to risky

and my advice would be to not stop at accident scenes, you easily have 10 witnesses stating you are at fault, even arriving 3 minutes after impact. Highwaypolice recruit hundreds of volunteers each year to handle this. I would not stop if I dont have my police ID with me. to risky

Advice taken on board, in this instance there were no witnesses as they all disappeared. I was on my way back from Doowrong and almost at the turning to Tiger Mai Thai.

Edited by kenny999

"western world" not really. in canada people stop all the time since no 1 is at fault by default.

let's not assume that the uk and the states are the "western world" those 2 countries are at the bottom of the gene pool as soon as you exit london or the north/major cities in the states

Advice taken on board, in this instance there were no witnesses as they all disappeared. I was on my way back from Doowrong and almost at the turning to Tiger Mai Thai.

I have to say I will never drive past anyone that needs help, and I do not believe all this "you will get the blame rubbish" anyone that can drive past someone that needs help is just down right not good, talked to my Thai gf and she say "yes help if not your fault no problem" I could not live with my guilty conscience if I just drove on by!!

I have had an accident here and all the Thai's around could not do enough to help us, the Police Captain was fantastic towards me so no I do not believe all this "don't stop keep going" I have high morals maybe some of you don't up to you!!

The day I drive past someone who needs help it is time to leave this country!!

Edited by kenny999

I would not stop if I dont have my police ID with me. to risky

Sigh clap2.gif

I have to agree good on him for not helping(NOT, very sad in my opinion!!

Highway police, these would be the people that forced me off of the road when I refused to go on to the hard shoulder when they were in front and behind a convoy of mini-vans last year, not impreesed at all!!

Edited by kenny999

Sigh clap2.gif

Highway police, these would be the people that forced me off of the road when I refused to go on to the hard shoulder when they were in front and behind a convoy of mini-vans last year, not impreesed at all!!

I was merely impressed by his "police ID". Probably well deserved and required hard work to achive.... Sigh clap2.gif

Sigh clap2.gif

I was merely impressed by his "police ID". Probably well deserved and required hard work to achive.... Sigh clap2.gif

Me to, I want one!! how much?

"western world" not really. in canada people stop all the time since no 1 is at fault by default.

let's not assume that the uk and the states are the "western world" those 2 countries are at the bottom of the gene pool as soon as you exit london or the north/major cities in the states

Sorry to break the news to you but Canada, The US and the UK all the same gene pool coffee1.gif ...

Where in South Carolina are you from?

• This "I won't stop with out my toy Police ID" mentality reminds me of a time waiting at Phuket airport, there was this person standing in front of maybe 6 Thai police officers practicing his saluting, wow I was impressed he must have made at least 20 salutes all the time the real police were laughing, what an absolute plum!!! god I hope they don't give these people side arms!! unsure.png