Saw My First Accident Happen This Morning.

kenny999

The day I drive past someone who needs help it is time to leave this country!!

Well said mate. I do think in this case though perhaps you were trying to help someone who maybe didn't need it. I'm not sure why you thought she would want to talk to your partner if she was already on the phone to someone? And if there are already people on the scene before you get there I would say leave them to it, otherwise you are just being a bit of a do gooder, but if you think somone will genuinly benefit from you stopping then of course you should always stop.

Are people really trying to sugest that if you stop at an accident after it has already happened, that there is any more than an extremely, extremely, (wrote that word twice on purpose) remote chance that a mob will form and try to extort money from you? I would say it would happen way less than once in every 1000 times people stopped. Even then it would probably end up sorting itself out as quickly as it started. With that probability how could we justify leaving what is probably a decent person by the side of the road in trouble?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The day I drive past someone who needs help it is time to leave this country!!

Well said mate. I do think in this case though perhaps you were trying to help someone who maybe didn't need it. I'm not sure why you thought she would want to talk to your partner if she was already on the phone to someone? And if there are already people on the scene before you get there I would say leave them to it, otherwise you are just being a bit of a do gooder, but if you think somone will genuinly benefit from you stopping then of course you should always stop.

Are people really trying to sugest that if you stop at an accident after it has already happened, that there is any more than an extremely, extremely, (wrote that word twice on purpose) remote chance that a mob will form and try to extort money from you? I would say it would happen way less than once in every 1000 times people stopped. Even then it would probably end up sorting itself out as quickly as it started. With that probability how could we justify leaving what is probably a decent person by the side of the road in trouble?

I was on the scene first as I was directly behind when it happened, the lad was very worried and had no clue what to do so I was just trying to help him, leaving him there on his own with the girl would have been wrong of me so I advised him to go, maybe this was wrong but at the time it seemed the best thing for him to do as the girl was okay, the 3 Thai's that helped disappeared, the girl could not speak any English so I thought being able to talk to another Thai would have given her the chance to tell us what she wanted to do but she ignored all help,

As I have said before anyone that drives past an accident they have just seen happen and does not stop to at least see if anyone needs help is someone I would not like to know EVER!!

If there is an accident and people are already helping then there would be no need for me or anyone to stop!!

I am not a dogooder as you hint, If I see an accident actualy happen and I feel I can help I will stop!! if people are already helping at an accident there would be no need for me to stop!!!

Edited by kenny999

Firstly, there is no Good Samaritan law in Thailand. This means you can be liable for any harm you do inadvertently to the accident victim.

Secondly, the only assistance I can see any first aider giving is to bleeding, or, maybe phoning the emergency services. Accident victims should not be moved and they certainly should not be thrown in the back of a pick-up and taken to hospital.

I wonder how many people have been killed by people with "good intentions".

Thirdly, it is a lot more common than people think that if a foreigner stops after an accident, he will be blamed for the accident itself. There will be multiple witnesses that will say so.

I am trained in first aid and will not stop for accidents until a Good Samariten law is enacted, thus it is best to wait for professionals to arrive.

Edited by KarenBravo

Firstly, there is no Good Samaritan law in Thailand. This means you can be liable for any harm you do inadvertently to the accident victim.

Secondly, the only assistance I can see any first aider giving is to bleeding, or, maybe phoning the emergency services. Accident victims should not be moved and they certainly should not be thrown in the back of a pick-up and taken to hospital.

Thirdly, it is a lot more common than people think that if a foreigner stops after an accident, he will be blamed for the accident itself. There will be multiple witnesses that will say so.

I am trained in first aid and will not stop for accidents until a Good Samariten law is enacted, thus it is best to wait for professionals to arrive.

with 9 years and +480.000km driving on Thai roads all over the country, ad the +100.000km I have been a passenger, I have seen my fair amount of accidents. If a foreigner stops within a few minutes after impact it is not uncommon to be blamed for the accident. All it takes is 2 motocy taxi riders stating you where at fault, and you where at fault. No further disussion needed. Witnesses win.

Had a kid run his Fino into my brand new Accord in 2008, in Hua Hin. He was jumping lanes and hit my left front fender. 5-6 motocytaxis swore to the arriving cop I had run into him. At the Policestation finally kid admitted it was his fault as he had changed lane before being in front of me. Had the kid been dishonest, I would have had to pay for my cars and his bikes damage, as he had witnesses. As he was honest, I couraged him to leave, so my Insurance wouldnt harge him to repair my car. Witnesses could have won.

I would opt for the throwing in the back of the pick up technique. Would probably be dead lying on the ground waiting an hour for "professionals" to arrive anyhow

All I can say is very sad!! I am also trained in first aid, first aid is exactly what it says first aid, if your conscience will allow you to drive past an accident that happens directly in front of you then it is again very sad, absoulute rubbish about being blamed for an accident that is not your fault and again multiple witnesses saying so again what rubbish!!!

it's this simple if you did not cause the accident and you help you have nothing to fear and I will continue to stop should I see an accident directly in front of me it's the moral thing to do, I will not be blamed and witnesses will not say it was my fault, people appreciate the help no matter who you are, you seem to think Thai's are very nasty, my experiences say different!!!

All I can say is very sad!! I am also trained in first aid, first aid is exactly what it says first aid, if your conscience will allow you to drive past an accident that happens directly in front of you then it is again very sad, absoulute rubbish about being blamed for an accident that is not your fault and again multiple witnesses saying so again what rubbish!!!

it's this simple if you did not cause the accident and you help you have nothing to fear and I will continue to stop should I see an accident directly in front of me it's the moral thing to do, I will not be blamed and witnesses will not say it was my fault, people appreciate the help no matter who you are, you seem to think Thai's are very nasty, my experiences say different!!!

I am wondering would you stop if it was someone you knew or would you ride on past because you are paranoid about being blamed for something you did not cause? I am thinking yes you would, very sad!!

Kenny..do what you think is righ,thats up to you..and i and everyone else shoul do the same,i know what i would do,after reading the sensible posts by some of the senior members on the forum.. ...NOTHING..drive on then if you want to be good SAMARITAN..DIAL EMERGENCY..,I think thats good Advice..END

Had a kid run his Fino into my brand new Accord in 2008, in Hua Hin. He was jumping lanes and hit my left front fender. 5-6 motocytaxis swore to the arriving cop I had run into him. At the Policestation finally kid admitted it was his fault as he had changed lane before being in front of me. Had the kid been dishonest, I would have had to pay for my cars and his bikes damage, as he had witnesses. As he was honest, I couraged him to leave, so my Insurance wouldnt harge him to repair my car. Witnesses could have won.

You make it sound like it's more likely to happen than not. Yet in your vast driving experience all over Thailand, the best example you can give is an incident where you were actually involved in the accident NOT just a witness. On top of the that the person was honest and told the truth! It's a bit different from the 'being beaten to death and having all your money fleeced by an angry mob that people are saying happens every day.

Normally you are one of the ones telling it how it is on this forum KBB, but I think you've got the law of averages wrong on this one. The chance of you actually ending up paying for an accident you turned up to after it had happened are almost non existent. As far as I can see nobody here has any personal experience or any real accounts of this happening to share with us, so for me it goes in to the scare mongering gossip pile with all the rest.

P.S I wasn't accusing you of being a do gooder Kenny. I was just saying in general that there is no need to get involved if there are rakes of people there already. If you were first on the scene then good on you for stopping.

You make it sound like it's more likely to happen than not. Yet in your vast driving experience all over Thailand, the best example you can give is an incident where you were actually involved in the accident NOT just a witness. On top of the that the person was honest and told the truth! It's a bit different from the 'being beaten to death and having all your money fleeced by an angry mob that people are saying happens every day.

Normally you are one of the ones telling it how it is on this forum KBB, but I think you've got the law of averages wrong on this one. The chance of you actually ending up paying for an accident you turned up to after it had happened are almost non existent. As far as I can see nobody here has any personal experience or any real accounts of this happening to share with us, so for me it goes in to the scare mongering gossip pile with all the rest.

P.S I wasn't accusing you of being a do gooder Kenny. I was just saying in general that there is no need to get involved if there are rakes of people there already. If you were first on the scene then good on you for stopping.

That is what I am saying if there are people there already no need to stop, if I am directly behind and obviously the first then yes I would stop, I could not drive past!! I have no fear of this fictitious blame or witnesses saying it is my fault again this is just rubbish!! IN MY OPINION!!

Edited by kenny999

I'll leave the moral high ground to you kenny999 as you so desperately want it.

If you think that KBB and myself are lying about people getting stitched up, just come out and say it.

Kenny..do what you think is righ,thats up to you..and i and everyone else shoul do the same,i know what i would do,after reading the sensible posts by some of the senior members on the forum.. ...NOTHING..drive on then if you want to be good SAMARITAN..DIAL EMERGENCY..,I think thats good Advice..END

I think it is right to stop if you are the first there, if anyone rides past they are not good people, good Samaritan rubbish!! it's about doing the right thing!!

I'll leave the moral high ground to you kenny999 as you so desperately want it.

If you think that KBB and myself are lying about people getting stitched up, just come out and say it.

In my opinion I think you are wrong!! I desperately want the moral high ground are you serious!! it's about doing what is right!!

Seems it isn't just me or KBB. Check this article:-

http://phuket-post.c...-to-walk-on-by/

Okay I have read the article and you must agree it is very sad that we must act in this way, I have only seen the one accident as I described it was not serious and helping was no problem, maybe you are right about getting involved in something more serious especially if the cause of the accident has done a runner!!

I do agree Serious incidents should be avoided, the minor ones you can do your good deed of the day!! not a good state of affairs but thats life I guess!

Edited by kenny999

Yes kenny999, it is a sad state of affairs, I never said it wasn't, but, I will not risk the opportunity of being held to ransom for a kindness.

I agree with you KB and KBB. I will only stop if I am involved. On all three of those occasions, I was rear ended. So they were not my fault. And even my wife has told me not to stop at any accident I might see. Kenny, ask your wife if she really thinks you should stop when you aren't involved.

Yes kenny999, it is a sad state of affairs, I never said it wasn't, but, I will not risk the opportunity of being held to ransom for a kindness.

I agree with you KB and KBB. I will only stop if I am involved. On all three of those occasions, I was rear ended. So they were not my fault. And even my wife has told me not to stop at any accident I might see. Kenny, ask your wife if she really thinks you should stop when you aren't involved.

I have just asked the question to my Thai gf, her answer, yes we should stop to help them,to ask them what they want, how are they, can I help you, do you want us to call hospital or the Police, we stop because we are good people my gf's words not mine!!

I guess that makes my gf a good decent Thai women and maybe other's not so good and decent!!

Edited by kenny999

I have just asked the question to my Thai gf, her answer, yes we should stop to help them,to ask them what they want, how are they, can I help you, do you want us to call hospital or the Police, we stop because we are good people my gf's words not mine!!

I guess that makes my gf a good decent Thai women and maybe other's not so good and decent!!

But you stopped alone, not with her, correct? Does she say that is a good idea?

Perhaps the best thing to do is stop, and offer assistants. If a crowd forms….and anyone is pointing the finger at you………go….and go fast. I don’t know. Maybe to late at that point.

It goes against everything I have ever known. Like some other members, I have training in First Aid, CPR, and extensive training in Battle Field Medicine. I can fix just about anything, fixable. I carry a CAP pack in my truck, but I’m not sure I would use it on anyone but family. I am no longer attached to the sworn promise I made many years ago, but it hurts my heart not too.

Sorry to say this but I am totally oblivios to accidents here.I saw 3 in the space of 10 mins on my way to the airport the other day.

I did stop once many years ago and nearly got beat up by a group of Thais who appeared on the scene later thinking it was my fault and demanding money.

So now I leave it up to them.

Sadly that is sound advice. Don't stop or get involved. If the mob smells money then it's your fault and plenty of 'witnesses' will state that.

I was rear-ended by an inattentive Thai driver. The mob came out and demanded I pay. I paid and left the scene per advice of the mob. You don't argue with a mob. unsure.png

Oh, cobblers. Stop trying to make out you're better than others, you aren't, just more naive.,

It's very simple. No Good Samaritan Law, no stopping.That's the smart thing to do. End of.

Kenny999 i,i cant beleive you,you just go on and on and on,when posters have been honest with you,and all you do is dont listen and go on about how good you and yoru g f are.. im bored,im going to bed..no more ..listening to this topic..orr posting...yawn.angry.png

Seems it isn't just me or KBB. Check this article:-

http://phuket-post.c...-to-walk-on-by/

Again, if you read the article, there is absolutely no mention of someone stopping at an accident that had already happened, and ending up paying for it. The first bloke says that when he came to Thailand someone told him......blah blah blah, and he took it as gospel and now tells everyone else the same.

The second bloke was involved in a crash with a drunk bloke, and the third bloke had a kid run in to his parked scooter, stupidly parted with more money than he wanted to and as a result says he will never stop at an accident again. Which makes no sense because he didn't stop at an accident this time. Some kid ran in to his parked bike and he couldn't stand up for himself against an angry mother (no mention of any mob here)

If this article had any stories about what we're actually talking about then they would have printed them. The same as if any member of this forum had any they would post them.

Simply saying something happens isn't enough, it's what causes all the problems in the first place. People get told something by someone who knew nothing and then they pass it on.

Could someone please have a guestamate as to how often they thinks this actually happens. That is somebody stopping at an accident that has already happened and then actually accepting the blame and parting with cash? I personally would be very surprised if it's happened more than once in the last ten years, if at all.

I think people are talking about being involved in an accident and getting blamed for it and then just expanding the problem without evidence to include this.

Kenny999 i,i cant beleive you,you just go on and on and on,when posters have been honest with you,and all you do is dont listen and go on about how good you and yoru g f are.. im bored,im going to bed..no more ..listening to this topic..orr posting...yawn.angry.png

You gotta love those 'I'm bored so I'm not making any more post' posts.blink.png

Kenny hasn't gone 'on and on' any more than anybody else has. He has listened to everybody, he just didn't agree so he said so. You are confusing not listening to you with not agreeing with you. Huge difference. wink.png

Assuming someone is taking the moral high ground as another poster did, simply because he's doing what he thinks is right is ridiculous. It shows he has more of a back bone than most on here. Who hasn't got the brains and the balls to stop at an accident without ending up paying for it or getting beaten up by a mob? Well no one except me and Kenny it would seem. cool.png

You are bored because you don't have the backbone to do what is right, full stop!! I am not good I am simply a person who does what is right, again I am not scared of these fictitious so called mobs that demand money!! I have never seen this and it has never happened to me and I will continue to do what is right, if other people are scared which forces them to run away from someone who needs help good for them!!

Yes she simply said "good man"

I am not scared to stop and I am not intimidated by all these so called stories of mobs appearing from no where demanding money, tell me, where was the mob the other day when I stopped? 3 Thai's who helped disappeared, 1 Thai that remained just smiled(maybe he could not believe someone stopped to help.

No point going on and on some people have backbone and do what is needed and right others slink away scared of shadows!!

Just out of interest I will ask our friend who is a Sergent Major(Chalong Police, his opinion of stopping at an accident that happens in front of you and you are the first there!

I will post his answer.

Edited by kenny999

Yes she simply said "good man

I am not scared to stop and I am not intimidated by all these so called stories of mobs appearing from no where demanding money, tell me, where was the mob the other day when I stopped? 3 Thai's who helped disappeared, 1 Thai that remained just smiled(maybe he could not believe someone stopped to help.

"No point going on and on some people have backbone and do what is needed and right others slink away scared of shadows!!"

Whilst your actions are noble, they also put you at financial risk, and possible physical danger, that also places your Thai girlfriend at financial risk and physical danger.

There is no concept of what is "needed and right" in Phuket. The only concept here is "money" and it's a lot easier to get it out of a farang.

It pains me to drive past an accident and not offer assistance, but that is the way the Thai's have created the environment here. It didn't have to be like that, but it is.

If there were two farangs involved, I would stop and help, because the concept of "helping our fellow man" exists in the west and that was the way I was bought up. We are not in the west now and many locals here certainly have "issues" with farang being here and may take the opportunity to extort money from you.

You are leaving yourself exposed if you stop at a Thai on Thai accident.

It has nothing to with "backbone" and "intestinal fortitude" and everything to do with not becoming another "Phuket horror story" and being placed in a gaol and put in a position where you have to simply "buy your freedom back" which is something you can not put a price on. Your lawyer will "mediate" with police and the victims in the accident to gain compensation from you and you weren't even involved.

Desperate people do desperate things and if they have just crashed someone elses motorbike and will have to pay for damages, they may try to involve you in the accident somehow in order to get the money from you to have the bike fixed, or their medical expenses covered, because farang money grows on trees. :) :) :) :)

Many members will disagree with my post but there is one thing is for sure - stopping and assisting is more risky than driving by.

Edited by NamKangMan