Saw My First Accident Happen This Morning.

kenny999

This incident happened over 10 years ago, long before the days of Thaivisa. My son was driving my m/bike along Nanai Rd and witnessed a m/bike taxi with passenger sitting side saddle turn into Nanai 2. An oncoming car caused the taxi to stall and fall over. My son stopped to help (he was brand new to Thailand). The police were called and the 'locals' told that it was my sons fault (the car never stopped so someone had to pay). The taxi driver demanded 5,000 baht. my son had not enough money on him and came home to borrow some money from me. I looked at the motorbike damage and reeled off the cost of the parts to the poilce, less than 1,000 baht, the police agreed and I gave the taxi driver 1,000 baht and told my son never to stop if he witnessed an accident in Thailand.

If that's the case then I beg your pardon. Still find it strange you didn't think to mention it before.

Like Stevenl said, I'm sure it would have all sorted itself out if you and your son had stood your ground, but you did what was the quickest and easiest way to make it go away. It's also true to say that Phuket has changed a lot in 10 years.

Perhaps we should change the advice to if any tourists see an accident they shouldn't stop, as they won't have the experience to know how to deal with it on the off chance something did occur.

An expat with an ounce of common sense though should be able to deal with a blatant scam like that, and I still believe it would almost never happen.

We don't stop crossing the road because people get knocked over sometimes do we. Same difference for me.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

If that's the case then I beg your pardon. Still find it strange you didn't think to mention it before.

Like Stevenl said, I'm sure it would have all sorted itself out if you and your son had stood your ground, but you did what was the quickest and easiest way to make it go away. It's also true to say that Phuket has changed a lot in 10 years.

Your apology accepted. stevenl thinks I did post this incident in the past. He might be right, but then again I have posted a number of 'incidents' where I was involved and many members just can't/won't accept such a thing can happen. A long time member LivinLOS used to post about his experiences but was always 'shot down' by other members. Mai pen rai ...up-to-you

as there are more than 100 accidents a day in Phuket, and if it "only" happens in one of hundred, based on this it happens every day. so lets say its one in a thousand

So you think it happens every 10 days then!! Yet so far we have one single story that happened 10 years ago, that probably could have been avoided with a little experience and a tourist wasn't involved. If it happened every ten days it would be in the papers and on the forums a lot more.

Lets try one in a million shall we. That would be closer to the truth. thumbsup.gif

<snip>

Your apology accepted. stevenl thinks I did post this incident in the past. He might be right, but then again I have posted a number of 'incidents' where I was involved and many members just can't/won't accept such a thing can happen. A long time member LivinLOS used to post about his experiences but was always 'shot down' by other members. Mai pen rai ...up-to-you

I do accept it can happen I just like information being shared to be based on facts. Facts need evidence to qualify them as facts. Otherwise we would all have to believe everything we were told and everything we read. Where would that get us with all the bullshi#ers in the world?

There is very little evidence to support that the likelihood of this happeneing is as high as people are saying. Therefor my arguement would be that perhaps some people are guessing, exagerating or repeating things they have heard from other people who were guessing or exagerating. This doesn't do anybody any favours at all.

<snip>

There is very little evidence to support that the likelihood of this happeneing is as high as people are saying. Therefor my arguement would be that perhaps some people are guessing, exagerating or repeating things they have heard from other people who were guessing or exagerating. This doesn't do anybody any favours at all.

I suppose you believe all of TAT's "data" as evidence that tourism is up every year. What data are you going to get from the Thai government and especially the police here as to what really goes on? So, what are you going to believe with so much corruption going on around here? That extortion here just never happens?

I can only imagine self-centered, cold ignorant tossers not stopping... apologies for the language, but thats what I think you are if you chose avoiding the slight possibility of trouble over assisting someone who is in dire need of assistance....

Are you trained as a first responder? I'm not! So what good will I do compared to the 30 or more Thai people on motorbikes around me with cell phones and who speak better Thai than I? Surely, if I was the only one around, I wouldn't drive by...

<snip>

I do accept it can happen I just like information being shared to be based on facts. Facts need evidence to qualify them as facts. Otherwise we would all have to believe everything we were told and everything we read. Where would that get us with all the bullshi#ers in the world?

If you can accept that is CAN happen, why can't you accept that people take steps to avoid it happening to them????

If one single farang is scammed a certain way on the island, then that scam could happen to me, it could happen to you, and it could happen to anybody.

Your view is, and always has been (even when you posted under a different name) that it hasn't happened to me, so I doubt it happens at all, and if it did happen to somebody, than that person has no common sense, should not be in Phuket and deserves what they got through lack of intelligence.

Let's be honest, a lot of people work long hours in professional jobs in their country. They want a holiday, so they go to a travel agent and see what's on offer for a 10 night holiday in a tropical climate. They pay the money and the travel agent books them a holiday to Phuket. They have never heard of a tuk tuk, could only dream of having a go of a jet ski, think they have won a prize when they scratch a card and have absolutely no idea that if they stop to help someone at an accident, they MAY be blamed for the accident. These are educated, qualified and employed people. Many of whom do not have the time to research all the various scams that Phuket has waiting for them.

When confronted with an angry Thai and a police officer, many do like LIK did for his son, they just pay the money. They pay for the scratch that they didn't put on the jet ski. They pay the tuk tuk driver who changed the price at the other end. They pay for 7 beers even though they know they only had 5 beers. They pay 200 baht for the petrol in their bike, even though they know the tank holds 120 baht from empty and the pump was not reset. They especially pay for everything and anything when police get involved. Perhaps this is why these scams proliferate, because farang just pay money to make it go away. Who can blame them, you will sit in a gaol cell till you pay.

Anyway, many tourist go home not so happy for their experience from these incidents.

You ask for facts. If I speak to another farang who tells me that he was scammed in a certain way, why not take that onboard???? Why not post it on TV. Readers can agree, or disagree with it, but knowledge is power.

The "odds" of it happening to you, should you decide to stop and assist, may be slim, but the risk of it happening still exists. The risk exists due to poor policing (corruption) and a poor judicial system here. Until that changes, and that's a long way off or maybe never, I chose not to stop and I suggest to others not to stop, even though it goes against all ethical and moral principle for me, and most people.

That said, each to their own, and if you stop, good for you, and if you drive by, I understand why you did.

• Like 1

If you can accept that is CAN happen, why can't you accept that people take steps to avoid it happening to them????

If one single farang is scammed a certain way on the island, then that scam could happen to me, it could happen to you, and it could happen to anybody.

Your view is, and always has been (even when you posted under a different name) that it hasn't happened to me, so I doubt it happens at all, and if it did happen to somebody, than that person has no common sense, should not be in Phuket and deserves what they got through lack of intelligence.

Let's be honest, a lot of people work long hours in professional jobs in their country. They want a holiday, so they go to a travel agent and see what's on offer for a 10 night holiday in a tropical climate. They pay the money and the travel agent books them a holiday to Phuket. They have never heard of a tuk tuk, could only dream of having a go of a jet ski, think they have won a prize when they scratch a card and have absolutely no idea that if they stop to help someone at an accident, they MAY be blamed for the accident. These are educated, qualified and employed people. Many of whom do not have the time to research all the various scams that Phuket has waiting for them.

When confronted with an angry Thai and a police officer, many do like LIK did for his son, they just pay the money. They pay for the scratch that they didn't put on the jet ski. They pay the tuk tuk driver who changed the price at the other end. They pay for 7 beers even though they know they only had 5 beers. They pay 200 baht for the petrol in their bike, even though they know the tank holds 120 baht from empty and the pump was not reset. They especially pay for everything and anything when police get involved. Perhaps this is why these scams proliferate, because farang just pay money to make it go away. Who can blame them, you will sit in a gaol cell till you pay.

Anyway, many tourist go home not so happy for their experience from these incidents.

You ask for facts. If I speak to another farang who tells me that he was scammed in a certain way, why not take that onboard???? Why not post it on TV. Readers can agree, or disagree with it, but knowledge is power.

The "odds" of it happening to you, should you decide to stop and assist, may be slim, but the risk of it happening still exists. The risk exists due to poor policing (corruption) and a poor judicial system here. Until that changes, and that's a long way off or maybe never, I chose not to stop and I suggest to others not to stop, even though it goes against all ethical and moral principle for me, and most people.

That said, each to their own, and if you stop, good for you, and if you drive by, I understand why you did.

Well said Iceman....clap2.gif

<snip>

I suppose you believe all of TAT's "data" as evidence that tourism is up every year. What data are you going to get from the Thai government and especially the police here as to what really goes on? So, what are you going to believe with so much corruption going on around here? That extortion here just never happens?

Of course it happens, I just want to understand and everybody else to understand what the REAL chance of it happening is. The evidence isn't saying the same as a lot of posters on this thread are. I don't think that's very helpfull to anyone.

I can only imagine self-centered, cold ignorant tossers not stopping... apologies for the language, but thats what I think you are if you chose avoiding the slight possibility of trouble over assisting someone who is in dire need of assistance....

Are you trained as a first responder? I'm not! So what good will I do compared to the 30 or more Thai people on motorbikes around me with cell phones and who speak better Thai than I? Surely, if I was the only one around, I wouldn't drive by...

Everybody has said that there is no need to stop if other people are on the scene and there is nothing you could do that isn't already being done. This discussion is about people not stopping if they were the first on the scene, or felt they had something to offer the people already there.

If someone's lying in the middle of the road, the first thing I would think of is to park my car with hazards on in such a way to stop them being hit by another car. I would bet a lot of money that someone doing that has never ever gone on to be convicted of the accident itself.

<snip> If someone's lying in the middle of the road, the first thing I would think of is to park my car with hazards on in such a way to stop them being hit by another car. I would bet a lot of money that someone doing that has never ever gone on to be convicted of the accident itself.

Ok, let us know how you get on next time you do that, If I were a betting man (which I am not) I would be tempted to take on your bet.

Everybody has said that there is no need to stop if other people are on the scene and there is nothing you could do that isn't already being done. This discussion is about people not stopping if they were the first on the scene, or felt they had something to offer the people already there.

If someone's lying in the middle of the road, the first thing I would think of is to park my car with hazards on in such a way to stop them being hit by another car. I would bet a lot of money that someone doing that has never ever gone on to be convicted of the accident itself.

What about the Expat who parked his car on the street in Chalong only to have a drunk female crash into it at 4am while he was in bed sleeping?

He ended up in court and even jailed.

If he had been Thai, it would have been a non issue.

As a westerner, we are considered atms to some, including police and they will implicate you if they think they can get a drink out of it.

I do accept it. I personally use my common sense and treat every situation as an individual occurance and try to do what's best for that moment in time. It's a much better way to go than making blanket decisions that will be wrong 99% of the time just to make sure I'm right the other 1% of the time. If a situation is looking bad I feel confident in my own ability to be able to deal with it and come out unscathed. I have a strong sense of self preservation just like you, but I don't allow it to control my every movement. Especially when it could mean the difference between someone living or dieing.

I have never posted on this forum under a different name!! You and many others would rather let a decent person suffer, when you could have probably helped, rather than take a tiny risk that you will come to some kind of harm. That is your character and your business. If your'e happy being that person then who am I to have an opinion. That is NOT what I am discussing here. We all know there are different kinds of people that's obvious. I'm talking about discussing the FACTS. The true probability of this happeneing so people have more info to decide what person they want to be. It would be a shame if someone acted like a coward (sorry, that's what most people on this thread are when it come to this scenario) simply because he didn't know the true risk of something happened because they had read all the scare mongering on a forum.

I have no problem with you saying that the risk is small but you don't want to stop. I have no problem with 'Karon Brava' who said he doesn't care about the risk, if there is no samaritans law he won't stop. That's fine, I would hate to be that kind of person myself but that's not what I'm arguing about here. I'm talking about being missleading by implying something is much more likely to happen than it really is.

Let's be honest, a lot of people work long hours in professional jobs in their country. They want a holiday, so they go to a travel agent and see what's on offer for a 10 night holiday in a tropical climate. Many of whom do not have the time to research all the various scams that Phuket has waiting for them.

I have already conceded that the advice could well be sound for tourists, as their ability to make the right and safe decisions is impaired by their lack of experience in Thailand. So again, not relevant to my arguement.

I would take it on board, but WHERE ARE THEY?? We've only had one account of this happening and it was 10 years ago. We haven't had one single news report linked on this thread, why is that?

KBB who has had a lot of driving and police experience said it was likely to happen every 10 days, yet when he gave an example he could only give an example of an accident he was involved in and not only that, but it all worked out just fine because in his own words 'THE THAI BLOKE WAS TOO DECENT AND HONEST TO WANT TO SCAM HIM'

So the evidence in this thread is actually saying that if you get involved in an accident there is just as much chance it will be with a normal decent person than it is an angry mob of fraudsters.

Peoples characters are different and that's up to the individual. The probability of what we are talking about in this thread happening is a FACT it's not subjective in the slightest. We don't know what that exact probability is obviously but using evidence we can have a good guess and get as close as we can. That hasn't happened in this thread and it's missleading. So tell people it could happen, but don't tell them it's anything other than very very unlikely.

What about the Expat who parked his car on the street in Chalong only to have a drunk female crash into it at 4am while he was in bed sleeping?

As a westerner, we are considered atms to some, including police and they will implicate you if they think they can get a drink out of it.

I remember that issue. Weren't the charges brought about due to the fact that he was parked illegally ? (regardless of the fact that he'd been parking in the same spot on the side of the road for 2 years).

IMO: In this case the law is a complete ass.

Still, that wouldn't stop me from providing what assistance I can if I am the first to arrive on any scene.

Even by parking my car in the middle of the road to prevent the injured party from further injury has risks. In this case its quite likely some idiot will drive straight into our car and we've added the the injury... Perhaps the best case is to post someone further down the road to slow down other traffic...

Lots can be done, but we always place ourselves at some form of risk, i.e. transmission of blood borne decease etc... IMO none of these are good enough excuses not to stop if we are some of the first on the scene.

I'm sorry but I fail to see the connection. The guy was convicted in court, and there is no question he was guilty. So this has nothing to do with 'stopping at an accident where you have no involvement and still getting the blame'.

Ok, let us know how you get on next time you do that, If I were a betting man (which I am not) I would be tempted to take on your bet.

I will, and if i am wrong and it went badly for me I would still share the info. I would happilly end up with egg on my face if it means the facts are out there for everybody to know. How many other people on this thread would do the same. Come on here and share a possitive experience that harmed their arguement? Not many I don't think.

Yes he was treated differently because he had money and was a Farang. But he WAS parked illegally and broke the law so it's not relevant to this thread.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. The general Thais hate farang sentiment interfering with the facts, instead of every scenario being treated on it's own merits.

I remember that issue. Weren't the charges brought about due to the fact that he was parked illegally ? (regardless of the fact that he'd been parking in the same spot on the side of the road for 2 years).

Still, that wouldn't stop me from providing what assistance I can if I am the first to arrive on any scene.

Even by parking my car in the middle of the road to prevent the injured party from further injury has risks. In this case its quite likely some idiot will drive straight into our car and we've added the the injury... Perhaps the best case is to post someone further down the road to slow down other traffic...

Lots can be done, but we always place ourselves at some form of risk, i.e. transmission of blood borne decease etc... IMO none of these are good enough excuses not to stop if we are some of the first on the scene.

ahem isnt that what just happened this week at victory monument?

We came around a curve tonight on the road between Kata viewpoint and Kata and there was a westerner along with a Thai woman just off the road, on the opposite side of the road. Their motorbike looked pretty smashed. We stopped our motorbike along with a few others. There was a green plate taxi and a Fortuna, on scene when we arrived. We were calling it in, when a Tourist Police Fortuna pulled up behind us. I was tested by your post Kenny and I did stop... But I did leave after I saw it was already handled.

Edited by Jimi007

NamKangMan, on Yesterday, 08:35 , said:

So you take steps to avoid it happening to you and you do this by ignoring people who need help because you are scared!! it's a good job there are a few people who are not afraid to do what is right!! I am wondering, if you should have an accident would you hope people would stop to see if you and maybe your gf/wife/children are okay!!

I'm sorry but I fail to see the connection. The guy was convicted in court, and there is no question he was guilty. So this has nothing to do with 'stopping at an accident where you have no involvement and still getting the blame'.

Why do you say there is no question he was guilty? Even at night that part of the road is well lit & anyone but a blind man would fail to see a car parked there.

ahem isnt that what just happened this week at victory monument?

Exactly.

So, a farang sees an accident, stops in the middle of the road, puts on the hazard lights and a Thai runs up the back of their car killing themselves. Now, we have the same scenario as the the guy who parked illegally and went to bed and woke up in gaol.

BUT, as some posters say, that was his fault. GUESS WHAT - you are farang, you parked illegally, a Thai is dead or his car has major damage - you pay up or go to gaol. No one will care about the nice deed for stopping to help in the accident. YOU parked illegally - you have to pay and if you do not pay, you go to gaol until you do pay.

NamKangMan, on Yesterday, 08:35 , said:

So you take steps to avoid it happening to you and you do this by ignoring people who need help because you are scared!! it's a good job there are a few people who are not afraid to do what is right!! I am wondering, if you should have an accident would you hope people would stop to see if you and maybe your gf/wife/children are okay!!

Well, like the poor old pilot who had an accident and lost his leg, I'm sure plenty of Thai's will stop to steal my phone and my wallet. A very sad, but well documented and true story.

As I have said, it pains me to drive by. It's not the way I was bought up, but, the Thai's have created this environment, not me. If one farang has been scammed this way, that's enough for me. Why would I take the chance and say, "It won't happen to me." We all know we have to be careful living out here. Once again, whilst my actions of driving by may be distasteful to you, it's such self preservation techniques that will, hopefully, see me have longevity here, whilst others have been scammed of every cent they have and been sent home.

Put it this way Kenny. We know the jet ski scam exists - would you go and hire a jet ski???? "No" you say.

We know this scam exists - would you stop???? "Yes" you say. Well, in that case, go and hire a jet ski. If, "it won't happen to me" rules your decision making process, go for it.

Now, I can hear HKP using stats to say, "but the chances of it happening to you" etc etc. People buy a lottery ticket in the hope of having the one in a million winning ticket. I drive by because I DO NOT WANT TO BE the one in a million who gets done by this scam, and I am sure the odds are lower than one in a million for this.

Kenny, if you stop, and the whole thing turns bad, it can be a "game ender." Not like LIK, pay a 1000 baht and go home. If the injured party dies, or becomes disabled, you are up for every cent you have ever worked for that got you to Phuket in the first place. A crime will be committed against you. Your freedom will be held in ransom against you and all you were trying to do was help. Even if you hold your ground and "do the time." Upon release, you will be deported and blacklisted. No more Thailand for you. Is it all worth the risk????

To be honest, as times get tougher in Phuket to turn a dollar, and they wiil, I suspect "staged" accidents may be a new scam to watch out for. I have heard of the odd case, set up at particular intersections with "the mob" all standing by ready to play their part with intimidation, but it was rare. It may become more common and for bigger money.

Once again, if it has happened to only one other farang - that's enough for me, as sad as it is.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

I sometimes wonder about staged accidents on dark roads at night for the sole purpose of robbing anyone who stops. The road between the Honda dealer & Kathu strikes me as being a good place for this type of setup.

This has happened in Kata to karon ,on the hill before the football stadium,many times over thel ast 6 years,also the road from Kata viewpoin down towards Naiharn,and many more on the island its a danger we all have to look out for..

"western world" not really. in canada people stop all the time since no 1 is at fault by default.

let's not assume that the uk and the states are the "western world" those 2 countries are at the bottom of the gene pool as soon as you exit london or the north/major cities in the states

I could be wrong of course, but this post sounds like the voice of inexperience. In New York at least, the laws are also "no fault". Further, there are "good samaritan" laws which protect anyone who stops to help from becoming a target themselves. I don't know which ones, but I know many - if not all - other states have similar laws. And as for the opinion that the United States and Great Britain are at the bottom of the gene pool, well, after recognizing how completely uninformed the poster was about his facts, I can only presume that his conclusions are, shall we say, also uninformed. The world includes places with strange names like "Africa" that apparantly have yet to be discovered by this poster.

I sometimes wonder about staged accidents on dark roads at night for the sole purpose of robbing anyone who stops. The road between the Honda dealer & Kathu strikes me as being a good place for this type of setup.

This has happened in Kata to karon ,on the hill before the football stadium,many times over thel ast 6 years,also the road from Kata viewpoin down towards Naiharn,and many more on the island its a danger we all have to look out for..

I presume these are all well documented cases?

At NamKangMan, you should go into politics Throw out a few oneliners, and see who follows you without thinking. Unfortunately quite a few people seem to do that, both here and in the US and Europe.