Thai Navy Rescue 800 Live Dogs Destined For Indochina Meat Trade

webfact

Thai authorities seize 800 dogs destined for Indochina meat trade

image_20120112122150D05D6B27-F8A4-7CA3-337C7A4E381CED6F.jpg

NAKHON PHANOM, Jan 12 – Thai naval authorities on Thursday rescued 800 live dogs from an illegal meat trading ring in this northeastern Thai province and a suspect apprehended while transporting the animals to the Lao PDR across the Mekong River.

Dogs shipped across the Mekong are generally destined for sale in Vietnam, where eating dog meat dishes is customary.

Capt Theerakiat Tongaram, chief of the Navy’s Mekong River naval patrol unit in Nakhon Phanom, and other naval personnel early Thursday intercepted a six-wheel truck n Ban Phaeng district which was carrying 40 cages crammed with 800 dogs.

The dogs were to be loaded on a boat to be sent across the river for transhipment to a neigbouring country to a meat trade syndicate on the other side of the Mekong River.

Preecha Uttasee, 37, suspected of smuggling the dogs, was detained for further investigation while other members of the smuggling ring were able to escape arrest.

The navy said the shipment of canines was presumed to be en route for sale in Laos and likely transhipment to Vietnam to satisfy exotic menu cravings for dog meat lovers.

Apart from the 800 dogs, the officers found 100 empty cages on the truck, indicating the high demand in the winter.

The dogs were transferred to the Nakhon Phanom Animal Quarantine Station for care. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-01-12

• Like 2

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I guess they will be released back into the soi's to fight over food scraps or they will simply become land fill. Yep they were certainly saved.

Better than being on a dinner plate. They are innocent animals.

Isn't every animal on a dinner plate innocent, or do you know something about chickens and pigs that I don't?

• Like 1

So I guess they will be released back into the soi's to fight over food scraps or they will simply become land fill. Yep they were certainly saved.

Animals eat other Animals all the time, that's how things survive.

yes true, but not like this, this is cruel.

There was another case of this last year involving 2000 dogs being shipped to Vietnam. When the news broke they raised over 10 million baht from donations to care for the dogs. Unfortunately half of them still ended up dieing.

I hope that some of that money will be available to be used for these dogs...

Edited by DP25

This subject always brings out the strong voices for and against.

I am a dog owner and love care for my animal in the best way I can afford.

Most, if not all of these poor dogs were probably strays rounded up or in some cases, sold by their owners for a few baht. They probably lead miserable lives.

As some posters correctly point out, what is the difference between a truck loaded with cages filled with dogs and a truck loaded with chickens, ducks, sheep, pigs, or cows?

These dogs will ultimately end up in cages in a quarantine pen and, like the previous incident, people will be asked for money contributions to feed them. And then when there's no money, they die.

In most people's eyes, the transportation and slaughter of animals is hard to watch, that is, until they are at the meat counter buying their steaks or pork chops and then the suffering is forgotten, it's merely plastic wrapped flesh and not a cute dog or pig.

Man is the cruelest, as we know about suffering, yet we condone it.

At least they weren't endangered species heading for the Chinese market.

jap.gif

edit spelling.

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 2

Those who think its ok to eat dogmeat might want to find out how the dogs are treated before they are killed. I am not opposed to eating dogs, I eat pigs, not a whole lot of difference, but I am opposed to the inhumane treatment and cruelty towards animals that occurs in these cases.

I'm sure the pigs would agree with you, that a premature death is cruel.

800 dogs rescued from smugglers in Nakhon Phanom

The Nation

Nakhon Phanom

30173604-01_big.jpg

Navy officers rescued more than 800 dogs just as they were about to be smuggled across the Mekong River to Laos.

A Mekong patrol unit headed by Captain Thirakiart Thong-aram found the dogs detained in more than 40 cases on a six-wheel truck on the riverbank in Don Paeng village in Tambon Ban Paeng, Ban Paeng district at 4am.

The Navy officers also arrested Preecha Utthasri, 37, a local villager, who allegedly took part in the smuggling. His accomplices fled the scene, Thirakiart said.

Thirakiart said the dogs were about to be transported across the river to Laos and sent to Vietnam. He said about 100 empty cases were found at the spot.

He said the empty cages indicated that more than 2,000 dogs might have already been shipped to Vietnam.

The spot where the 800 dogs were rescued is about five kilometres away from the location where police earlier rescued about 1,800 dogs from smugglers.

The 800 dogs will be taken to a shelter where they will be monitored for possible communicable diseases for a period before being sent to various dog shelters, the Navy captain said.

A well-informed source said dog smugglers liked this spot as it is on the shortest route to Vietnam via Laos. The source said the smugglers have received orders to ship many dogs to Vietnam before the Chinese New Year.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-12

I like dogs...but I fail to see, why it is "cruel" to eat dogs but ok to eat pigs and cows?!

In chicken- and pig farms, the animals often suffer cruel before they are turned into food.

Ninety percent of Thais should not be allowed to have a dog

Animals eat other Animals all the time, that's how things survive.

yes true, but not like this, this is cruel.

This trade disgusts me. Is this trade legal or not? Only yesterday a dog van came through my village. Nothing unusual in that. In the 17 years since I had this house built they have passed down my quiet rural lane at least once a week. What is to be done?

Why did they stop them???? Those street dogs should be eliminate , i have been bitten twice , and if the Thai authorities are not willing of doing something to solve that problem , well at least they should not stop these guys from selling those dogs to the vitnameseclosedeyes.gif

I like dogs...but I fail to see, why it is "cruel" to eat dogs but ok to eat pigs and cows?!

In chicken- and pig farms, the animals often suffer cruel before they are turned into food.

Guess you didn't read the article in my post?

If you are going to ignore the inhumane way they are treated and the manner in which they are slaughtered, if only on the human scale it should be noted that eating dog meat transmits cholera and rabies and there have been known outbreaks in Vietnam because of this.

800 dogs rescued from smugglers in Nakhon Phanom

The Nation

Nakhon Phanom

30173604-01_big.jpg

Navy officers rescued more than 800 dogs just as they were about to be smuggled across the Mekong River to Laos.

A Mekong patrol unit headed by Captain Thirakiart Thong-aram found the dogs detained in more than 40 cases on a six-wheel truck on the riverbank in Don Paeng village in Tambon Ban Paeng, Ban Paeng district at 4am.

The Navy officers also arrested Preecha Utthasri, 37, a local villager, who allegedly took part in the smuggling. His accomplices fled the scene, Thirakiart said.

Thirakiart said the dogs were about to be transported across the river to Laos and sent to Vietnam. He said about 100 empty cases were found at the spot.

He said the empty cages indicated that more than 2,000 dogs might have already been shipped to Vietnam.

The spot where the 800 dogs were rescued is about five kilometres away from the location where police earlier rescued about 1,800 dogs from smugglers.

The 800 dogs will be taken to a shelter where they will be monitored for possible communicable diseases for a period before being sent to various dog shelters, the Navy captain said.

A well-informed source said dog smugglers liked this spot as it is on the shortest route to Vietnam via Laos. The source said the smugglers have received orders to ship many dogs to Vietnam before the Chinese New Year.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-12

Look at the quality in some of these dogs- German Shep--Labrador-- to name a few----expensive to buy at pet shops. To me the most cruel part of this, is a Thai that sells his friend, yes friend--and swaps him for a plastic bucket, to an r-sole seller in a pick up. Suppose we could feel sorry for sardines in a tin, but it the way the dogs are obtained, and transported is sick.

The soi dogs that some posters talk about is a problem, but just to say better they are eaten, in some ways yes but the stupid caring mind like mine NoNo....there are better ways for local government to help, give free sterile out to local dogs.

Diseased dogs should be put down, not collected squashed into trucks and eaten (diseased) disgusting.

• Like 1

Why did they stop them???? Those street dogs should be eliminate , i have been bitten twice , and if the Thai authorities are not willing of doing something to solve that problem , well at least they should not stop these guys from selling those dogs to the vitnameseclosedeyes.gif

maybe if you were on the truck--we don't stop it. Look at them dogs most were NOT street dogs. get real, your is the inhumane way out. Prevention is the theme, Thailand wake up, get legislation sorted - when they sort the dogs out, vetted homes can be sought, some could be trained as sniffers, some for the blind, etc., the old and diseased should be put down. The old answer to all this (mans best friend) you not have a chicken or most other animals sleep near your feet.

• Like 1

"The raising and consumption of dog meat has been linked to the transmission of rabies to humans with two reported cases in China, one in Vietnam, and two deaths reported in the Philippines. Also, workers processing the meat from a rabid dog can easily become infected with rabies. Recently, a child in the Philippines has died after eating dog at a family party. Rabies may be transmitted if dog meat is not well cooked, or eaten raw. The most familiar form of eating dog meat is in the form of spiced chunks cooked in a hot-pot stew, but this is hardly the only form. Approximately 100 different dishes may be made from a single dog, depending on the local dog-cooking conventions, and not all of them are cooked. Sometimes the brains, tongue, and/or testicles are eaten raw. Sometimes uncooked "cold cuts" are eaten in sandwich wraps. It may be an issue for travellers who unknowingly may eat a stew containing dog meat, it is advised to have well cooked meat at all times."

http://www.travelcli...ion-of-dog.aspx

Edited by Reasonableman

I have seen pigs transported this way too, neither is good. They also trap birds and sell them in tiny cages down the temple so my immpression is that animals are not treated well here.

Having said that there are far to many stray dogs, roaming in packs and some sort of a cull should be put into place to reduce this menace. Now if anyone thinks I dont like animals they are wrong but I carry a club with me, incase they get to bold, how do I know if they rabies or not? Well I am not taking any chances.

Edited by nong38
  • Like 1

I always bury my dead cats and dogs, well mostly cats lost due to snakes. 1st is to stop the flies and smell, and they feed the trees. As to getting sentimental over eating meat, what would vegitarians do if technology showed plants felt pain? Starve? I've 2 bitches that I had spayed, my wife strongly disagreed with it, due to some superstition her daughter would be barren. I said they've been trying 4 years so me spaying the dogs won't change things. Best 1200 Baht I spent.

Edited by Mosha
  • Like 1

The last 1,000 dogs they saved, all starved to death.

I think better to kill humanely and eat, then allow to starve.

Please go yo soidog.org. There you will evidence of the tremendous kindness, compassion and expenditure undertaken to find homes for these dogs. Why don't you take 5 seconds to do the research before making a false statement?

Your comment is an insult to the Thai and foreign volunteers that worked to help these creatures.

• Like 2

The last 1,000 dogs they saved, all starved to death.

I think better to kill humanely and eat, then allow to starve.

Please go yo soidog.org. There you will evidence of the tremendous kindness, compassion and expenditure undertaken to find homes for these dogs. Why don't you take 5 seconds to do the research before making a false statement?

Your comment is an insult to the Thai and foreign volunteers that worked to help these creatures.

IMHO the money would have been better spent helping children in some way.

There are two key issues associated with the dog meat trade;

1. Health & food safety and,

2, Ethical food practices.

The dogmat trade we see is for the most part illegal, violating the food health safety standards of both Thailand and Vietnam. Almost all of these animals do not undergo a verification of health status prior to slaughter and distribution. The end result is that parasites and what we refer to as bold viruses enter the food chain. Although, I won't shed tears over some Vietnamese that becomes ill or dies from eating bad food illegally obtained, that person can serve as a reservoir for some very lethal diseases. I suggest one have a look at the problems associated with the control of various strains of the virus commonly referred to as swine flu.

In respect to the ethical treatment of the anumals. They are treated in an inhumane and cruel manner. If one does not see the difference between right and wrong here, then there is nothing I can write to convince one otherwise. The fact of the matter is that the trade violates every regulation and every food safety practice there is. It is wrong to treat "livestock" in this manner and brings the food industry into disrepute and damages Thailand's reputation.

• Like 2