US Embassy Warns Of Possible Terrorist Attack In Bangkok

webfact

EMERGENCY MESSAGE TO U.S. CITIZENS

Emergency Message to U.S. Citizens: Possible Terrorist Threat

January 13, 2012

This message alerts U.S. citizens in Thailand that foreign terrorists may be currently looking to conduct attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future. U.S. citizens are urged to exercise caution when visiting public areas where large groups of Western tourists gather in Bangkok.

U.S. citizens are encouraged to maintain a heightened awareness when out in public; be alert for unattended packages/bags in public/crowded places and report any suspicious behavior to the nearest law enforcement personnel. We also encourage you to keep a low profile in public areas, particularly areas frequented by foreign tourists.

The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy is located at 95 Wireless Road in Bangkok, and can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049, or by e-mailing [email protected]. The Embassy’s after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-2-205-4000. The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai is located at 387 Wichayanond Road in Chiang Mai. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can be reached by calling 66-53-107-777 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-81-881-1878.

For the latest security information, you should regularly monitor the Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs Internet website, where current Worldwide Cautions, Travel Alerts, Travel Warnings and health-information resources can be found. You can also obtain up-to-date information on security by calling 1-888-407-4747 (toll free) in the U.S. and Canada or, for callers in other areas, by calling a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Eastern Time), Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

We encourage you notify us of your presence in Thailand by enrolling in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

Source: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/011312emergencymessage.html

-- bangkok.usembassy.gov 2012-01-13

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who would want to hits us over here in Bangkok? Doesn't add up. I wonder if the threats are indeed foreign or related to some recent foreign involvement/comments in the politics over here...

• Like 2

Who would want to hits us over here in Bangkok? Doesn't add up. I wonder if the threats are indeed foreign or related to some recent foreign involvement/comments in the politics over here...

Remember Bali? The thing is besides a nightclub I can't think of anywhere that would not have the locals out-numbering tourists 10-1.

Remember Bali? The thing is besides a nightclub I can't think of anywhere that would not have the locals out-numbering tourists 10-1.

I can but for obvious reasons won't list them.

Who would want to hits us over here in Bangkok?

You're joking, right?

Soft Targets. Bali. Mumbai. Google is your friend ...

If the target was that soft (and valuable) surely we would've been hit multiple times here already -- is my thinking. Why now?

You're joking, right?

If the target was that soft (and valuable) surely we would've been hit multiple times here already -- is my thinking. Why now?

These attacks aren't about high value targets. It's terrorism. A psychological tactic.

Why now? Ask the terrorists.

Hopefully if they have this intelligence there is a chance they can be stopped. In any case, I think a good idea to avoid crowded areas with lots of westerners when you can.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

US Embassy in Bangkok warns of possible terrorist attack

The Nation

The US Embassy in Bangkok on Friday issued an urgent alert for its citizens in Thailand of poosible terrorist attack.

The alert said foreign terrorists may be currently looking to conduct attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future.

US citizens are urged to exercise caution when visiting public areas where large groups of Western tourists gather in Bangkok.

U.S. citizens are encouraged to maintain a heightened awareness when out in public; be alert for unattended packages/bags in public/crowded places and report any suspicious behavior to the nearest law enforcement personnel.

"We also encourage you to keep a low profile in public areas, particularly areas frequented by foreign tourists."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-13

You're joking, right?

These attacks aren't about high value targets. It's terrorism. A psychological tactic.

Why now? Ask the terrorists.

Well, I'm already scared enough of Thais in general, so I already avoid all people as much as I reasonably can. I hope they don't target the BTS or MRT though as it's the only way I tend to get around.

why only American warning , any other embassies sent their warning ? soundds strange !

*Deleted quote edited out*

Oh come on now. The mailing list for the US embassy is to Americans. Would the Russian embassy be sending messages to Brazilian citizens?

You know now, so stop whining. It's not a confidential message.

Edited by Scott
Deleted quote edited out
  • Like 2

Well, I'm already scared enough of Thais in general, so I already avoid all people as much as I reasonably can. I hope they don't target the BTS or MRT though as it's the only way I tend to get around.

If they make people totally change how they live, they win. Its a personal decision how to react to this.
  • Like 2

Interesting - is there any way of getting more info on this?

If it's Muslim extremists, would it be safe to think they'll go after the red light areas? Nana in particular is almost the perfect target for an attack. Full of infidels, no fire escapes, one way in one way out.

Or is it perhaps going to be aimed at Childrens day? Targeting kids foreign & Thai.

More info would be nice.

Today is Friday 13th, perhaps terrorists want to make a day we won't forget. We ought to take these warnings seriously.

Bangkok isn't the only place with high profile western tourist soft targets in Thailand. I am skeptical that they only mentioned Bangkok.

US warns of possible terrorist threat in Bangkok

BANGKOK, January 13, 2012 (AFP) - The US embassy in Bangkok warned Friday of a possible terrorist threat against tourists in the Thai capital, urging its citizens to exercise caution in areas popular with foreigners.

"Foreign terrorists may be currently looking to conduct attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future," it said in an emergency message posted on its website, without saying what prompted the warning.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-01-13

This is the first time I've received such warning about "FOREIGN" terrorists. Don't think they're talking about the redshirts/yellowshirts/blueshirts/blackshirts either. This is serious shit. Also the fact that they recalled the first message moments after it being sent only to send a THIRD warning out saying to disregard the recall. I am not going to take this warning lightly -- our government knows SOMETHING that's for sure~!!

Be safe everyone and keep an eye out!

If they make people totally change how they live, they win. Its a personal decision how to react to this.

Yeah, I get that. I decided to be a misanthrope long, long ago. I work so hard only so that I can be wealthy enough to avoid as many human beings as possible.

Sorry for getting off topic.

Be careful out there.

Today is Friday 13th, perhaps terrorists want to make a day we won't forget. We ought to take these warnings seriously.

Bangkok isn't the only place with high profile western tourist soft targets in Thailand. I am skeptical that they only mentioned Bangkok.

Perhaps they have intercepted information that mentioned Bangkok? We don't know for sure, but since a warning has been given that mentions Bangkok specifically it may be prudent to be cautious.