Confusing Speedtest Results To Bangkok Server

wpcoe

I'm aware of the unreliable results from the common speed test sites when measuring online speed to/from overseas locations due to local Thai sites apparently caching the tests.

However, I've been experiencing almost the opposite for a while now:

I have a 3BB 9/1 Mbps plan in Hua Hin. When I use www.speedtest.net and test the speed to Bangkok, the speed often reads only from 1Mbps to 5Mbps. Sometimes, yes, it shows almost 9Mbps, but not often.

Then, I can start a torrent download immediately after the speed test and get 9Mbps:

post-33251-0-68728900-1326460776_thumb.g

Only a few minutes after that torrent finished, I did the speedtest.net again:

1704624098.png

(I had done a speed test just before the torrent, as well, and forgot to save the results, but it was about the same.)

So, how come my speed to Bangkok is only about 2.5Mbps, but I can get full 9Mbps on a torrent download? Is 3BB not routing my internet traffic via Bangkok?

FYI, one of the seeds for that torrent was in Thailand streaming about 1Mbps, and the other top seed was in Japan at just under 1Mbps, and the next 5 or so seeds were in the USA between .5 and .7Mbps.

In browsing and speedtesting a single stream is downloaded; when using download managers, torrents, etc., multiple streams can occur which increases total download speed possibly up to the maximum speed of your internet speed plan...it's like a multiplication effect...that's a big selling point for download managers. Think of browsing/speedtesting as a series effort; download managers/torrents/etc., as a parallel effort.

Edited by Pib

I think I understand what that means <g>, but why, then, aren't the speed tests multi-threaded?

I recall changing a setting in my browser (Opera) that set the maximum number of connections permitted to a server ... doesn't that imply that browsing (speed testing) can accept more than a single connection?

Oh, I'm no expert on the technical/protocol differences between a session and a stream other than a session is basically a series of network requests & responses more along a control nature where multiple-streaming used by download managers can somehow be passed along in a parallel format creating that data flow multiplication effect. Creating more connections does not necessarily mean more speed especially if each connection is just doing a simple time-share type connection (i.e., one connection stops transmitting/receiving when another one opens, etc). Yeap, really above my head, but browsing sessions and streaming are different animals. Hopefully a real expert will chime in and explain the technical differences in a layman's format so even I can understand. Cheers.

Hopefully this won't be too confusing.

Think of a bucket brigade where a full bucket (data packet) of material (data) is passed from point A (your PC) though a line of handlers (internet) to point B (speed test server). An empty bucket (acknowledgement packet) is returned in the opposite direction. You can only process a given volume (data) per bucket, and the speed is limited by the slowest handler, or how easy it is to empty or fill the bucket.

If you increase the number of lines of handlers, you get more volume (data). Using bigger buckets isn't allow by goverenment regulation (joke, but packets are limited in size by convention). Not filling the buckets is inefficient.

When you do a speed test, you get one line of handlers. When you download via a manager, you get multiple handlers for the same job. Uh oh.. introduced a new variable.

For the download manager, lets say you're moving 6 packs of beer to one point and 6 packs of cola to a different point. (or the reverse, pick your poison and direction). The download manager uses more handlers for each type of product depending on how responsive the end point is.

Does that answer the question?

Does that answer the question?

Yes. And, no. whistling.gif

[a] I'm assuming that since I have a 9Mbps download speed subscribed from 3BB, that regardless how many bucket brigade lines (handlers?) I can engage, I won't be able to exceed that 9Mbps speed. Correct?

Okay, you know how handlers work. And, I now know how they work. How come speedtest.net doesn't know how they work? Why doesn't speedtest.net send multiple buckets? When I run a speed test, I want to know how much data I can down/upload, and a single-bucket-brigade test apparently often doesn't provide that information.

Speedtesters use a single stream/connection to download data, rather than multiple connections (or multi-threading). It's just the way they are programmed...maybe it best simulates browsing speed which is basically a single stream operation versus the more sophisticated download methods/software like Download Mangers. And while file downloading is definitely popular, I expect just basic browsing on news sites, blogs like ThaiVisa, etc., is much more popular. But regardless, I guess if you want a multi-streaming speedtester you'll have write it yourself....your speedtester could be the next Google...good luck. wink.png

The other thing that confuses me is that SOMETIMES I get the full 9Mbps shown as a result of a speedtest.net test to Bangkok, and other times I don't. That would be understandable, but during those "other times" I see the full 9Mbps download on the multi-threaded downloads. Oy vey.