Help! Visa From Penang Info Needed...

I just need to know what the latest requirements are for a tourist visa from Penang.

I have just finished my 1st two month tourist visa with 1 month extention obtained in Bangkok. My wife works in Bangkok and we have a baby. I have only a tourist visa (will apply for ED visa in the next two months) but for now am worried I need to provide proof of funds (dont have this) and a ticket home (don't have this).

Can anybody help me?

Hi. I don't have a Thai family. My partner is British and teaches here. We are not married. I am Italian, but no work permit. I have to go today to Penang for a new Tourist visa. Does anyone know what is currently required?

Penang will not give you another tourist visa if you have extended a previous one.

If you don't extend your tourist visa, they will give you three, maybe four more visas, then, refuse you more.

Is it absolutely certain that after extending my tourist visa in Bangkok I will not get a new tourist visa in Penang?

Penang will not give you another tourist visa if you have extended a previous one.

If you don't extend your tourist visa, they will give you three, maybe four more visas, then, refuse you more.

Is it absolutely certain that after extending my tourist visa in Bangkok I will not get a new tourist visa in Penang?

Nothing is "absolutely" certain in Thailand OR with Thai consulates etc. What people are telling you is that lately people have reported being "red-flagged" in Penang for tourist visas that's all. Up to you if you want to take your chance there but remember "1000 flies can't be wrong."

Better to do as suggested and go to KL. Over the past many years it seems that the Thai consulates in other neighboring countries have taken turns being the "hot place" to go for visas. One year it's Penang, the next it's Vientiane, next was Phnom Phen etc. etc.

JayCee, you did not mention the age of your child. Theoretically you would qualify for a multiple-entry non-O visa for the purpose of travelling to Thailand to visit your child, but it is uncertain whether any consulate in the region would give it to you. If ever you go to the consulate in Savannakhet you could ask them about it; bring the child's birth certificate along and perhaps also a letter from the child's mother stating that she has invited you to visit your child as often as possible and hopes that the consulate will give you the visa. If they won't give you the multiple-entry non-O visa, at least you should be able to get a double-entry tourist visa there.

I just got back from Penang 2 weeks ago and got my 4th tourist Visa in a row. I have also had the 1 month extentions on them all. This time though they put a red stamp on my visa saying I can't get any more till after I return back to my country. Didn't need any tickets out or to show I had any funds, but there was a notice there to say they may require you to show 20000 baht is funds, but I think that is just to scare you.

I go back to Australia in 6 weeks for a short time, then I can start all over again.

• Like 1

Thank you for this report, Brian. Single-entry visa, I presume.

Yes, just a single entry. I spoke to some of the visa places in Chulia St, the day before as I was worried I wouldn't get my 4th one. I had Responses ranged from, you might get it, to, if I give them an extra 250 MYR (2500 baht) they would be able to get it for me.

I went to the Thai embassy by myself and there were no problems they just pointed out the stamp when they gave it back.