Transferring Visa From Old Passport To New Passpost?

I've got a non-imm visa in my current British passport.

I'm about to apply to renew this passport from Thailand.

What is the procedure for transferring the visa from one passport to the other?

I got the visa in KL.

In about two months I am due to go to Bangkok immigration to get a 90 day extension on this visa. Can they transfer it from one passport to the other when I go for the extension?

Thanks.

Do you have a VIsa or an Extension, this is important?

If you have a Visa, then as above.

If you have an extension, just go to your local Immigration office and they will move all the relevant details to your new passport, then you can cut the corners off the old one (I would however, only cut the cover page corner). The movement of all the details is free in some places, others charge, also takes 2 pages of your new passport.

Is that new or just for UK citizens?

Some five years ago I changed passport, went to Suanplu where I had my non B recorded on the new passport and never have I travelled with two passports

I remember being upset because this had taken two full pages of the new passport

Visa has never been transferred - you always had to present both passports to use visa for a new entry - but you used to have to visit immigration to transfer last entry stamp and or extension of stay information. Now if here on a visa entry you can do process on exit but if you have an extension of stay you still have to visit immigration for the two pages of stamps.

Ok so that what happened, but one thing is sure I never presented the old passport and I was going back and forth every three months or so

Maybe the immigration officers were not that serious about being presented the passport with the original visa

If that ever happens again, which in my case I really hope, I will carry both, then

Edited by alyx

If you have an extension, just go to your local Immigration office and they will move all the relevant details to your new passport, then you can cut the corners off the old one (I would however, only cut the cover page corner). The movement of all the details is free in some places, others charge, also takes 2 pages of your new passport.

If the extension of stay has to be transferred from the old to the new passport, don't forget to bring the letter from the embassy, too.

If you are on an extension of stay and using re-entry permits they are in new passport so no need for original visa but if you have a multi entry visa in old passport and use that you must show the passport with that original visa to receive a new 90 day entry.

If the extension of stay has to be transferred from the old to the new passport, don't forget to bring the letter from the embassy, too.

There is no letter from the Embassy required to do it. I did mine in Nonthaburi

No letter from Embassy given or asked for in Bkk, done free of charge takes about 15 minutes.

Oh, last time they asked for the letter. This was in Bangkok (Chaeng Wattana). And in fact, when I received the new passport from my embassy, they had automatically issued the letter, knowing the requirement.

This was in early 2011. I wouldn't be surprised if the rules have changed in the meantime.

Would there be a problem transferring the extension of stay to a passport from a different country? In other words, If someone had a passport from one country that was expiring, but had another passport from a different country which had many years left before expiration, could the extension be transferred?

Any permission to stay (visa or extension) is presumably based on your nationality. I have never heard of it being transferred to a passport of another country, but if you want to try, please let us know the outcome.

Oh, last time they asked for the letter. This was in Bangkok (Chaeng Wattana). And in fact, when I received the new passport from my embassy, they had automatically issued the letter, knowing the requirement.

The US Embassy has supplied letters in the past but I don't remember any post indicating the British Embassy did.

Visa has never been transferred - you always had to present both passports to use visa for a new entry - but you used to have to visit immigration to transfer last entry stamp and or extension of stay information. Now if here on a visa entry you can do process on exit but if you have an extension of stay you still have to visit immigration for the two pages of stamps.

I'm with cardholder on this one,

My Non O was transfered from my old passport to my new one last fall, in Sahkon Nahkon. No embassy letter

Maybe Brits can have and use two passports but I know as a Canadian it is not allowed nor for many other nationalites

You didn't get your visa transferered, only your details and permission to stay. A visa itself is never transferred, you must always use both old and new passport if you still have a valid visa.

Some embassies don't give a letter, soem immigraiton offices don't ask for a letter. The immigration rule book says they must ask for the letter.

Believe several posters are thinking the transfer of original visa information is transfer of visa - it is not. Such transfer can not be used for new entry (which is all a visa is used for). What can be transferred is the information from the visa, the arrival stamps and any extension of stay. To use the visa for entry you must show the old original and valid multi entry visa. If you have an extension of stay you must show a re-entry stamp.

A letter as a diplomatic courtesy is provided by some Embassies (not UK) and is sometimes asked for by Immigration - if you do not have it nothing you can do and they will still likely provide the service but this is a free service so best to be polite.

For the British Embassy the passport comes from the UK and they are not aware of the letter requirement, if you asked at the Embassy in Bangkok you would probably have to pay around 2000baht. A nice smile to the Immigration officer is all that is required.

Edited by beano2274

I took my old passport , along with the new one, to the office in Pattaya and my retirement visa was transferred immediately. Only problem was that, along with the re-entry permit, it took up FOUR pages of my new passport!

Some countries, like the Netherlands, put a short notice in the new passport: "This passport has been issued to replace passport number BAxxxxxxx"

According to the Dutch Embassy this should be enough for Thai Immigration, which was the case.

Last time I got a new passport, I was here on a Non-B without extensions.

Pattaya-Immigration stapled the two passports together and the officer told me to keep it that way until I have left the country.

At Suvarnabuhmi they stamped out the old passport and the new passport (triangle departure stamp)