Thai Govt In Damage Control On Terror

webfact

RogueLeader;

Are there fact check from those numbers?

They're approximate, and (I think) based on US figures. The road accident stats for Thailand would probably make it even more stark. It doesn't actually matter that much: the graphic is a handy tool for explaining to the hard-of-thinking that their chances of dying from a terrorist attack are vanishingly small, and that they should probably stop giving people in government a chance to further trash our civil liberties.

Edited by RogueLeader

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we please stop shrieking like six-year-old girls?

terror-risk-952x1024.jpg

Do you think your embassy should send you s text message every morning reminding you how likely you are to die in a car accident?

Well, two terrorist bombs have gone off in close proximity to me in under 4 years,

while going about a normal and non-risk taking life.

Kind of blows your chart out of the water.

terror-risk-952x1024.jpg

Do you think your embassy should send you s text message every morning reminding you how likely you are to die in a car accident?

While your chart is interesting, it shouldn't be accepted casually. One indisputable fact is that we will all die eventually, and several of those causes are death are much more common in the elderly. I wonder how the figures would stack up if they showed PREMATURE death, say before the age of 60.

The region in which you live could also affect one's odds. If I was in Bangladesh for example, I'm sure the odds of both drowning and electrocution would rise dramatically.

BTW the odds of dying from shark attack are very low, but that doesn't stop us from being afraid of sharks.

If it was not for the Yanks, you would probably not be speaking English, possibly German or Japanese.

As for the warning, better to get it out there than no warning at all.

I think you need to look at history, and take a look at a vote that happened years before any wars the Americans entered into. The vote decided, by a small margin, to use English as the main language of America and not German.

I was not aware there was a vote. But you have confirmed it. However, I am pointing out that if it were not for the Yanks coming to the rescue during the 1st and 2nd World Wars, we would have been speaking anything but English.

Obviously not a history student then - or a seeker of truth. You've been watching too many Hollywood movies.

If it was not for the Yanks, you would probably not be speaking English, possibly German or Japanese.

As for the warning, better to get it out there than no warning at all.

I think you need to look at history, and take a look at a vote that happened years before any wars the Americans entered into. The vote decided, by a small margin, to use English as the main language of America and not German.

I was not aware there was a vote. But you have confirmed it. However, I am pointing out that if it were not for the Yanks coming to the rescue during the 1st and 2nd World Wars, we would have been speaking anything but English.

Obviously not a history student then - or a seeker of truth. You've been watching too many Hollywood movies.

no doubt,

German the Official US Language?

Did German lose out to English by just one vote?

The legend usually goes something like this: “In 1776, German came within one vote of becoming America's official language instead of English.”

http://german.about....y/aa010820a.htm

Edited by wxyz

US embassy maintains terror threat warning on its website

The US Embassy sees American citizens in Thailand still facing the threat of terrorism and will keep the warning on its website even though the Thai government is insisting that Thailand is not a target for international terrorists, a senior embassy official said yesterday.

"Nothing changes" when it comes to the perceived threats and America's need to keep its citizens informed, the high-ranking embassy source told The Nation.

However, the source would not say how long this warning - which seems to be upsetting the Yingluck government - would remain on the embassy's website.

Government leaders have been calling on the embassy to remove the warning, especially now that a foreign suspect has been arrested and a large cache of bomb-making materials discovered.

Last week, US Ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney tweeted that the warning was "real" and "Bangkok specific". Despite that, the source yesterday suggested that the information gathered so far was not enough to pinpoint targets or locations.

The source would not confirm if the warning was meant to push the government into being more proactive. The embassy posted the warning after some kind of notification was submitted to the Foreign Ministry a day earlier.

The police, meanwhile, are still keeping a close watch on three spots in Bangkok - Rambutri, Sukhumvit 22 and Khao San roads. "We will continue to prevent and suppress [terror attacks]," Metropolitan Police Commissioner Lt-General Winai Thongsong said yesterday.

Atris Hussein, 47, was arrested last week at Suvarnabhumi Airport and is now facing charges of illegally possessing ammonia nitrate, a precursor chemical used for bomb-making.

Police believe that Hussein may have had several accomplices and the investigation is ongoing.

Six months ago, three Arab-looking men were allegedly seen going in and out of the Samut Sakhon shophouse rented by Hussein and used to keep ammonia nitrate and urea fertiliser, according to police. These men, however, are believed to have already left Thailand.

"Some Thais might have worked for Hussein, but we believe they might have not known exactly what he was up to," Winai said.

In the USEmbassyBKK Twitter account, Kenney was quoted as saying that the January 13 emergency message for US citizens remained in effect.

On January 13, the US embassy's web site alerted US citizens in Thailand that foreign terrorists might be currently looking to conduct attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future.

US citizens were urged to exercise caution when visiting public areas where large groups of Western tourists gather in Bangkok.

Deputy National Police Commissioner General Pansiri Prapawat said yesterday that police planned to question everybody who might have been in contact with Hussein.

"Our teams are investigating the case, questioning witnesses, examining and gathering evidence," he said.

Meanwhile, an informed source said that at a meeting held to follow up on the case yesterday, police officers also discussed a widely circulated suggestion that police might have placed ammonia nitrate in the shophouse.

"The reports are based on information that a police senior sergeant major had rented the same shophouse," the source said. "But local police said a policeman had rented another shophouse nearby to sell rice and had only used the place for two months."

According to the source, Hussein had rented a shophouse in Samut Sakhon for up to two years at a monthly rate of Bt15,000 and was planning to buy it for Bt6 million.

After the meeting, Pansiri, who is chief investigator, said police had acquired more information on the case but could not reveal it at this point.

Winai also revealed that police are working closely with local and international intelligence agencies.

Supreme Commander General Thanasak Patimaprakorn, meanwhile, voiced confidence that the situation relating to terrorism threat in Thailand was under control.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-19

New minister on US blacklist

http://nationmultimedia.com/politics/New-minister-on-US-blacklist-30174056.html

How does that fit in?

Lol, Amsterdam compares Abhisit with Mugabe.

If there was any police involvement as rumored, think of a certain police colonel residing in Dubai.

It's getting clearer and clearer that the CFR is deeply involved in diplomatic terrorism.

I believe that the deciding vote for the national language of the USA to be english was by a german speaker....... Back on topic. Looks like the plot is thickening.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

How typical of some superior farang races to do and say as they like, without thought and consideration. One of the issues here is that the embassy issued a warning WITHOUT first consulting / informing the Government of the country concerned. It smacks of arrogance.

It smacks of doing their job, caring about their own citizens first.

"Caring about their own citizens first"

Exactly!! But look what this attitude has done to the rest of the citizens of the world. All of us are paying the price for such arrogance.

Hmm, still haven't received my warning from your embassy. Ill keep waiting. Oh, i cant ! I've been blown up. Never mind, keep it hush hush and wipe the body parts off the rest of the buildings as it would hurt tourism. Save the blood as we can poor it over some ones house that we do not approve of politically. Killing 2 birds with one stone really. Red political party is a freaking disaster.

Edited by FOODLOVER

Gweiloman: the warning are from 11 Embassies warning their own citizens, if you are not so arrogance to blame other countries for protecting their own citizens while the incompetent Thai goverment is doing everthing to keep the information from Thai citizens and keep changing the story everyday to save faces instead of saving EVERYONE lives, then blame your government. When was the last time Thai government has warn its Thai citizens when they are going abroad and consult the other countries first? Did Thai government issue the warning on Tsunami before it killed thousand of peopel when US sent the warning to the Thai government?

Are you not for Thai first? Does the Thai government care about Thai citizen first? The tourists dollars are more important than lives! They still have not learn the lesson, so who is the arrogance one?

http://www.wsws.org/.../warn-j03.shtml

Thailand

Seismologists in Thailand registered the Sumatran earthquake soon after it took place. Thai Meteorological Department officials were attending a seminar when the news came in. They immediately convened an emergency meeting, which was chaired by the department’s director-general, Supharerk Tansrirat-tanawong. The Nation newspaper, citing unnamed sources at the meeting, reported that the danger of a tsunami was discussed, but the gathering decided not to issue a warning.

With no tidal and other sensors in place, the meteorologists had no means of confirming whether a tsunami was on its way. Moreover, they knew there would be repercussions from both government and business if they issued a false warning. This was peak tourist season and the hotels were full. As one official explained to the Nation: “If we issued a warning, which would have led to evacuation, [and if nothing happened], what would happen then? Business would be instantaneously affected. It would be beyond the Meteorological Department’s ability to handle. We could go under if [the tsunami] didn’t come.”

The meeting was convened nearly an hour before the tsunami battered the coastline of southern Thailand, along with the tourist resorts of Phuket and Phangnga.

Edited by BudM

New minister on US blacklist

http://nationmultime...t-30174056.html

How does that fit in?

Lol, Amsterdam compares Abhisit with Mugabe.

If there was any police involvement as rumored, think of a certain police colonel residing in Dubai.

It's getting clearer and clearer that the CFR is deeply involved in diplomatic terrorism.

are you saying there is mr T involvement? that would explain a lot

Good question from Nationmultimedia

http://nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Better-to-know-or-not-know-30173927.html

Is the Nationmultimedia bashing the Thai Government?

Exert:

"Yet, after last week, one rule should be written in stone. Chalerm Yoobamrung must not play any role in terrorism-related mass communications. He has to be kept exclusively busy with charter reform, no matter how weird it sounds for someone like him to be tasked with spearheading the reshaping of national values"

Any Thai had objection to this? Or only if the comments were made by non-Thai?

they have not removed it yet

Emergency Message to U.S. Citizens: Possible Terrorist Threat

This message alerts U.S. citizens in Thailand that foreign terrorists may be currently looking to conduct attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future.

http://bangkok.usemb...ncymessage.html

Thailand Country Specific Information

http://travel.state....s/cis_1040.html

Edited by wxyz

How far away does one have to get to truly get away from the American non-sense that constantly flows out of the government? Sorry, but meaningless scare tactics don't impress me. Furthermore, if two people can stimulate a panic without even doing anything, then the so-called bad guys win, period.

In addition, this 'cry wolf' crap is really getting old. Here's an idea America: try minding your own business and stop pissing on the rest of the world. See how that works instead of the normal gospel-spreading course, please.

I totally agree. I wrote yesterday on another thread

"'Can someone tell me what is the value of an embassy issuing warnings? What am I to do differently? Isn't this sort of warning falling into the terrorists trap? Isn't a warning more likely to instil terror in those of us that hear about it?

To those who heeded the warning what did you do? What did you not do? Did you decide not to go shopping? Not to go to the airport? Has anyone ever cancelled a trip or holiday because of the potential for terrorist activity?''

No-one cared to comment.

How far away does one have to get to truly get away from the American non-sense that constantly flows out of the government? Sorry, but meaningless scare tactics don't impress me. Furthermore, if two people can stimulate a panic without even doing anything, then the so-called bad guys win, period.

In addition, this 'cry wolf' crap is really getting old. Here's an idea America: try minding your own business and stop pissing on the rest of the world. See how that works instead of the normal gospel-spreading course, please.

"'Can someone tell me what is the value of an embassy issuing warnings? What am I to do differently? Isn't this sort of warning falling into the terrorists trap? Isn't a warning more likely to instil terror in those of us that hear about it?

To those who heeded the warning what did you do? What did you not do? Did you decide not to go shopping? Not to go to the airport? Has anyone ever cancelled a trip or holiday because of the potential for terrorist activity?''

No-one cared to comment.

of course people change their plans, which is why the thai govt has been so secretive and are mistakenly mad at the USA embassy, the thai govt should be mad, at the terrorists and the totalitarian theocracy that sponsors them

the thai tourist industry would take a huge hit if the totalitarian theocracy regime had been successful in a bali or mumbai or spain or london style bombings, it would take years before tourists would trust the thai govt to provide a safe tourist destination free of these totalitarian theocracy thugs

but you knew that already

terror-risk-952x1024.jpg

I don't think any rational person would argue with the contention that dying in a terrorist attack is very unlikely, but I think this post misses the point somewhat.

It just means that this uncommon event is unlikely to happen to you. That doesn't mean it's unlikely to happen at all, so it can be discounted.

Low probability terrorist attacks are always happening to someone, you only need to scan the news.

Low probability events happen.

To the people standing next to the Bali bomb, also subject to exactly the same very low odds of dying in a terrorist attack, it was an event of 100% certainty. The people carried out with their shin bones driven into their skulls, impaled by chair legs, or still temporarily alive with not much of their bodies left weren't protected by the unlikelihood of the event.

The point is, if there is a bomb in Bangkok, and it goes off in a crowded area many people will be frighteningly and painfully maimed or killed. But if you are one bar away it won't be you. So what? It will be somebody.

I think warnings are justified because at very least they can encourage you to be alert to your surroundings (why is that sweating guy carrying a backpack in there?) ; at very most decide, say, to give Khao Sanh Road or the foyers of opulent US hotel chains a wide berth for a little while...

No-one cared to comment.

Because it's self evident, I think.

If no-one cancels holidays because of the potential for terrorist activities, why are the Thai government so apprehensive about the US warnings having a negative effect on tourism?

Do you know what happened to Bali's tourism in the aftermath of the bomb there? It didn't recover for more than two years. I went a year afterwards and the people were in despair - 60-70% cancellations.

No-one came!

terror-risk-952x1024.jpg

I don't think any rational person would argue with the contention that dying in a terrorist attack is very unlikely, but I think this post misses the point somewhat.

It just means that this uncommon event is unlikely to happen to you. That doesn't mean it's unlikely to happen at all, so it can be discounted.

For all those who dwell on this issue, I want to say something. Are your prepared to listen, or go on with your worthless arguments...? I believe that to put RogueLeader's position in a nutshell, if you are obsessed with this fear of terrorism, the 'terrorists' have WON already. The purpose of terrorism is not death, it is to instill fear (TERROR). The arguments here prove that many people are VICTIMS OF TERROR ALREADY!! Turn off your TV and your computer. Take a beer from the fridge. Sit back and put on a good movie or some great music. Breathe. You are alive.

I don't know why I am really still reading this thread except to try to understand the mindset of terrorised people. SURE, if you were THERE at 9/11, or some other dreadful event, that is different and deserves sympathy. Most of the rest is pathetic hysteria, pumped up by the American Government and media - just like the Communist threat years ago. Smells like an American attack on Iran is pending if you ask me...

There are people who are overly hysterical over the terrorist threat. Most are however are just more cautious then usual when there is a real threat. It doesn't really hurt to be more careful. However, there are always stupid people who dismiss genuine threats all because they hate the US government. Everything to them is a conspiracy by the US government. How sad for these morons.

There are people who are overly hysterical over the terrorist threat. Most are however are just more cautious then usual when there is a real threat. It doesn't really hurt to be more careful. However, there are always stupid people who dismiss genuine threats all because they hate the US government. Everything to them is a conspiracy by the US government. How sad for these morons.

Was there a point that you wanted to make?

I

ABSOLUTELY agree with every word here - only one thing PLEASE... do not call the USA America.

Thailand is the only place I've ever heard of the United States of America being referred to as America and that's by Thais, no one else.

I

ABSOLUTELY agree with every word here - only one thing PLEASE... do not call the USA America.

Thailand is the only place I've ever heard of the United States of America being referred to as America and that's by Thais, no one else.

The fact remains that when a citizen of the USA is asked for their nationality the correct response given is American and very few will write out "citizen of the United States of America"

• Like 1

I

you don't get out much

For all those who dwell on this issue, I want to say something. Are your prepared to listen, or go on with your worthless arguments...? I believe that to put RogueLeader's position in a nutshell, if you are obsessed with this fear of terrorism, the 'terrorists' have WON already. The purpose of terrorism is not death, it is to instill fear (TERROR). The arguments here prove that many people are VICTIMS OF TERROR ALREADY!! Turn off your TV and your computer. Take a beer from the fridge. Sit back and put on a good movie or some great music. Breathe. You are alive.

I don't know why I am really still reading this thread except to try to understand the mindset of terrorised people. SURE, if you were THERE at 9/11, or some other dreadful event, that is different and deserves sympathy. Most of the rest is pathetic hysteria, pumped up by the American Government and media - just like the Communist threat years ago. Smells like an American attack on Iran is pending if you ask me...

knowledge is valuable, ignorance is bliss,

ignoring the terrorist wolves circling you lambs being led to the slaughter, being willing victims, some people are too stupid to live

informed decisions are better decisions, but you knew that already, enjoy your ignorance little lamb

Edited by wxyz

Well, two terrorist bombs have gone off in close proximity to me in under 4 years,

while going about a normal and non-risk taking life.

Cool story, bro.

Not cool at all if it's you, bro.

When I was 12, I was hit by a car. At the age of 13, I was hit by another. My best friend at school was killed in a road accident.

؟I demand that warnings are sent out about road accident statistics every singe day by US embassies everywhere in the world, detailing a running total of people killed on the road that week؟ ؟I'm joining pressure groups to get cars banned. Because it's all about me؟

I agree, there should be a warning about road accidents to every tourist coming to Thailand. closedeyes.gif