Thailand Hunting Hezbollah Operatives Planning Terror Attacks Against Jews, Israelis

webfact

Thailand hunting Hezbollah operatives planning terror attacks against Jews, Israelis

By Barak Ravid

The Counter-Terrorism Bureau has issued a warning to Israelis to stay away from Bangkok, and advised those already in the capital to avoid areas commonly frequented by Israelis.

Thailand's intelligence services launched a manhunt Friday for a Hezbollah operative who is part of a terror cell planning attacks on Israeli and Jewish targets in Bangkok.

The Counter-Terrorism Bureau has issued a warning to Israelis to stay away from the Thai capital, and advised those already in Bangkok to avoid areas commonly frequented by Israelis.

The defense source said the Thai authorities were working hard to thwart the attack, which was expected sometime ahead of February 12 - the anniversary of the assassination of Hezbollah operations chief Imad Mughniyeh.

According to Thai sources, despite the arrest of the first suspect, the terror warning is still in force.

The defense source said the incident was still underway.

"A manhunt is still underway after the additional suspects,which means the threat still exists and the travel advisory is still in force," the source said.

The source also called on Israelis who are now in Thailand to comply with the directives and to stay away from Bangkok.

Thai sources said that during his questioning, the detained Hezbollah operative confessed that a terror squad was intending to launch an attack on Israeli targets, including places where Israelis stay. [more...]

Full story continues: http://www.haaretz.c...raelis-1.407352

-- haaretz.com 2012-01-16

footer_n.gif

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile there is not risk, there is no terrorist activity, this is all under control, this is effecting the reputation of the country, this is damaging tourism.

For gods sake, when will ALL Thai governments realise that when you actively LIE to the people, bad stuff eventually happens, be it floods or mass protests. The people deserve to be told what is going on, this is not a situation that the pooyai can have absolute control over, and if the Israeli newspapers are printing these stories, they aren't doing it with some ulterior motive to "damage" Thailand.

They have lived in a state of virtual war and high security for a very long time, and realise that real threats have to be acted upon, and in the case of Israel, they certainly do not mince around patronising their people for the sake of "reputation".

• Like 1

Khao San Road, a popular destination for Israeli backpackers and other visitors to the Thai capital.

What make me laugh is I suppose Hezbollah can tell who is an Israeli and who is not, I think it's best I stay away as well.

Khao San Road, a popular destination for Israeli backpackers and other visitors to the Thai capital.

What make me laugh is I suppose Hezbollah can tell who is an Israeli and who is not, I think it's best I stay away as well.

I think it's pretty obvious they don't care whose who. Just collateral damage.

So Israel informed Thailand that three lebanese guys with swedish passports have entered Thailand so the Thai police arrested a lebanese/swiss guy.

Well that is not exactly a common description.

Lebanese with Swiss and Lebanon Passorts in Thailand.

In fact it stands out like a sore thumb.

Besides the obviousness of this being quite unusual,

why would Israel security even bother with Thailand at all

if there was nothing to worry about?

I'd suggest avoiding any place labeled 'Chabad' between now and mid Feb. List under 'obvious target'.

Edited by animatic

The Thai culture is totally different from the Western culture. They are mainly Buddhists and believe in karma, everyone eventually gets what he/she deserves and "shit happens", too. Look how many of them wear helmets. Mai pen rai.

If you come to Thailand and stay for a while you have to accept that or get lost. Actually I like that attitude more than the Western one, that's why I keep coming back. If you focus on the bad possibilites too much you will only make your life miserable and still not be able to avoid your accidents.

Just my 2 cents.

Thailand’s Chabad taking terror threat seriously

By GIL SHEFLER

Jewish Association of Thailand's Rabbi Yosef Chaim Kantor says he's in close contact with authorities regarding safety measures.

Chabad rabbis in Thailand on Sunday said they were taking safety precautions after reports emerged that a terror cell was planning to attack Israeli and Jewish targets in the country.

Rabbi Yosef Chaim Kantor of the Jewish Association of Thailand said he was in close contact with the authorities and they had taken measures to ensure the safety of his family and guests.

“The Thai authorities are taking this very seriously and so are we,” said Kantor. “We are in close contact with them.”

On Friday, Thai authorities announced they had apprehended a Lebanese citizen on suspicion of planning a terrorist attack.

Another man believed to have been his accomplice is still at large. [more...]

Source: http://www.jpost.com....aspx?id=253794

-- jpost.com 2012-01-16

footer_n.gif

Perhaps the Thai govt. could send its eminent Foreign Minister to Lebanon to do a "meet and greet" with some Hezbollah folks... And if we're lucky, he'd like it enough there to decide to stay.

BTW, I saw this video today relating to the government's current anti-terrorism efforts....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

NSC Chief Denies Connection between Arrested Hezbollah Members And Southern Insurgents

The National Security Council secretary-general denies links between the recent arrest of members belonging to a Lebanese militant group and Thailand's southern insurgency, while ordering immigration checkpoint officials to step up their watch on travelers.

National Police Chief Police General Wichien Pojphosri, with his role as the National Security Council, or NSC, Secretary-General, said the recent arrest of two Lebanese nationals, who are members of the Hezbollah Muslim militant group in Lebanon are not connected with the insurgents in the three southern border provinces of Thailand.

The arrest was a cooperation between Thailand, the United States, and Israel.

Wichien noted that the Hezbollah group plays a part in a conflict between Iran and Israel and the two arrested members only used Thailand as a temporary stop as immigration regulations are not very strict here.

He added there is no justification to prosecute them on terrorism and there is also a time limit for holding the foreign suspects.

However, the two could be held accountable for falsifying some of their documents.

The NSC Secretary-General said his agency will step up cooperation with all sides, as well as screening at immigration checkpoints nationwide.

He also acknowledged the need for a better and more advanced inspection system in the future.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-01-16

footer_n.gif

Did I miss something??? I know of one guy who's been arrested... But the second supposed guy was never arrested and remains on the run, right? So why is the article above talking about two guys being arrested?

And the NSC chief is saying the "two arrested members only used Thailand as a temporary stop" ... a temporary stop to conduct a supposed bombing in BKK against Israeli related targets.... before heading back home... Is that the idea he's trying to get across?

Meanwhile, it's curious that this latest report simply states as a fact that the arrested guy and the other guy are members of Hezbollah.... yet Hezbollah says they're not....

Some/many of these reports from Thai authorities, and/or the news media accounts of them, defy credibility.

Meanwhile, it's curious that this latest report simply states as a fact that the arrested guy and the other guy are members of Hezbollah.... yet Hezbollah says they're not....

You did not think that Hezbollah would say: "Yeah, we sent a coupla guys over there to blow upsome Israelis"

The rumour they were going to attack KSR could just be a ruse. Plenty of israelis down in Haad Rin KPN, too.

Maybe not now with the crap weather, but usually Chicken street Haad Rin is full of them.

You did not think that Hezbollah would say: "Yeah, we sent a coupla guys over there to blow upsome Israelis"

The rumour they were going to attack KSR could just be a ruse. Plenty of israelis down in Haad Rin KPN, too.

Maybe not now with the crap weather, but usually Chicken street Haad Rin is full of them.

Hard to believe things many governments say, much less Hezbollah. Plenty of israeli targets in Chiang Mai and Pai as well.

For gods sake, when will ALL Thai governments realise that when you actively LIE to the people,

Of course it's only Thai governments that try to soft-peddle the truth when it serves their perceived self-interests.

When will the small tribe of xenophobic farangs accept that much of what happens in Thailand, good or bad, happens everywhere in the world, and stop acting as though they alone can see the truth?

Maybe back in farang-utopia they accept everything that their own government says & does, assuming it to be selfless and beyond reproach, but the majority of Thais and resident farang are not so gullible.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that the chances that there is a attack on the US or ISrael are a thousand times higher than in Thailand. There might be two terrorists on the loose in Thailand there are thousands in the US and Israel. It is nothing more than a blatant attempt to undermine the Thai government. There was never any comment when domestic terrorists battled an incompetent army that checked with fake bomb scanners.

Every government should warn not to travel to the US and Israel even the UK is far less secure than Thailand.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that the chances that there is a attack on the US or ISrael are a thousand times higher than in Thailand. There might be two terrorists on the loose in Thailand there are thousands in the US and Israel. It is nothing more than a blatant attempt to undermine the Thai government. There was never any comment when domestic terrorists battled an incompetent army that checked with fake bomb scanners.

Every government should warn not to travel to the US and Israel even the UK is far less secure than Thailand.

Here we go! Bomb materials found but it's a plot to undermine the Thai government! I think another guy said it's a plot to undermine Hezbollah! 2 birds with 1 stone!

For gods sake, when will ALL Thai governments realise that when you actively LIE to the people,

Of course it's only Thai governments that try to soft-peddle the truth when it serves their perceived self-interests.

When will the small tribe of xenophobic farangs accept that much of what happens in Thailand, good or bad, happens everywhere in the world, and stop acting as though they alone can see the truth?

Maybe back in farang-utopia they accept everything that their own government says & does, assuming it to be selfless and beyond reproach, but the majority of Thais and resident farang are not so gullible.

Did you really mean to say ... "xenophobic farangs"?

Why would Hezbollah operative target Israeli and Jewish in Bangkok, which is NOT a lot?

It is a lot of tourists and Thailand is a soft target. Sure, they would be happier to get Jews in Israel or New York, or Argentina like they did before infamously, but Thailand is comparatively easy pickings. How many times does this BASIC question need to be answered on these current event Hezbollah topics? Edited by Jingthing

Did I miss something??? I know of one guy who's been arrested... But the second supposed guy was never arrested and remains on the run, right? So why is the article above talking about two guys being arrested?

And the NSC chief is saying the "two arrested members only used Thailand as a temporary stop" ... a temporary stop to conduct a supposed bombing in BKK against Israeli related targets.... before heading back home... Is that the idea he's trying to get across?

Some/many of these reports from Thai authorities, and/or the news media accounts of them, defy credibility.

I think there is a clue in an operation being run by the Israelis, the Americans and Thais.

The Thai: Sh1t happens, maiben rai

Israeli; Give me two minutes with them in a cell, two is too much , one minute will be enough

Americans: Lookee heah you Thai guys. On a need to know basis. Forget it. You'll get it wrong anyway....

They are not so dumb. Targeting a large Jewish community center, the biggest in Thailand and a popular Israeli restaurant would fit their bill. Of course, now that the cat is out of the bag, other less obvious targets may be in play.

Did you really mean to say ... "xenophobic farangs"?

Soft peddling went out of the window in the rest of the world long ago.

As for xenophobic farangs, (at least you didn't say WASPS or Honkeys)I reserve the right to call any government on their lies, be it Tony and his WMD in 40 minutes or any other. However, it is obvious that the government were sitting on the knowledge that something bad was likely to happen and wish it to go away.

Believe me, if it had happened, I doubt very much any of the foreign govts would sit aside and cover up the fact that they had passed on the info to the Thais. Hilary Clinton isn't going to go under a bus to save Yinglucks political backside. Wishing away suicide or truck bombs isn't much of a strategy, although we were just privy to trying to wish away a one in a hundred year flood. Good plan, successfully carried out and implemented to the satisfaction of the people.

Hiding the truth doesn't work. Did "knowing" about this story effect anyone's daily lives?

Edited by Thai at Heart

The Thai culture is totally different from the Western culture. They are mainly Buddhists and believe in karma, everyone eventually gets what he/she deserves and "shit happens", too. Look how many of them wear helmets. Mai pen rai.

If you come to Thailand and stay for a while you have to accept that or get lost. Actually I like that attitude more than the Western one, that's why I keep coming back. If you focus on the bad possibilites too much you will only make your life miserable and still not be able to avoid your accidents.

Just my 2 cents.

There are certainly more annoying people than the Thais - their free-loving attitude is pleasant to be around.

However, their 'mai pen rai' attitude has its consequences - ones that are perfectly avoidable, 100% human caused disasters.

Riding around without a helmet is one thing - riding with a an infant on a motorcyle is another. Riding with an infant, at night, with no headlights, the wrong way down a highway is yet another (sounds far fetched - but anyone who has lived in Thailand for a bit has seen this kind of thing....its all too common, really).

A free-loving, easy going attitude is great. Blatantly irresponsible behavior isn't.

A free-loving, easy going attitude is great. Blatantly irresponsible behavior isn't.

That's unfortunately kind of the bi-polar difference between places like the U.S. (and perhaps various European countries too) and Thailand.

In the United States, some people (though not necessarily me) complain that the government is involved in too many things and has too much control and too many regulations... But at least, I reasonably trust the government there -- by and large -- to watch out for my safety and security...and to undertake those duties in a reasonably professional, responsible manner. Not perfect. Not without mistakes... But mostly on the ball and at least trying.

In Thailand, perhaps because the farangs who are here decided to leave their home countries for various reasons including disenchantment, a lot of farang folks here really appreciate the lack of government meddling and regulation (except regarding immigration) and the general mai bpen rai attitude. (" Hey, I didn't get a ticket today, just gave the cop a 100 baht note.").

Unfortunately, the flip side of the reality is that when you really need the Thai government to do something -- like keep your city from flooding, or manage wide-spread civil disturbances, or cope effectively with foreign terrorism -- they show themselves to be just about as professional and committed to their duties as the traffic cop who willingly takes your 100 baht note to look the other way.

Thailand and its people have a lot of very wonderful characteristics and traits... But it's episodes like the current one that should remind everyone that "mai bpen rai" unfortunately comes with its own dark side as well.

Wow, I like this guy^ I've been thinking this same thing for years now, dunno why I never said it myself but well done.