1.2 Million Thais Are Addicted To Drugs

webfact

NARCOTICS WAR

1.2 million Thais are addicted to drugs

THE NATION

Chiang Mai

30174048-01_big.jpg

ONCB guarding some 60,000 villages from gangs and crime

The Interior Ministry and the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) yesterday urged stricter and more integrated anti-drug measures in the Northern region - while revealing there were 1.2 million drug addicts in Thailand, some as young as Prathom 6 level.

Interior Ministry officials, police, provincial and local administration organisation representatives in 17 northern provinces attended the meeting at Chiang Mai Phukham Hotel to receive the "Power of the Land to Win Over Illicit Drugs" policy and guidelines for 2012.

ONCB secretary-general Adul Saengsingkaew said that ONCB oversaw the preventive measure to guard some 60,000 Thai villages nation-wide from drug crimes under the leadership of Deputy PM Chalerm Yoobamrung. So far drug gangs smuggled drugs through the north to other regions and there were 1.2 million drug addicts in Thailand, he said, a drug-plagued area was those with more frequent thefts, rising number of addicts, and increasing number of knife-point hostages and self-afflicted injuries. Deputy permanent secretary for Interior Pracha Terat said civil servants involving in drug dealing must be fired.

ONCB deputy secretary-general Permpong Chavalit said that the narcotics outbreak, especially Yaba and crystal meth, covered 70 per cent of the Thai villages, that over 300,000 addicts underwent drug rehabs, that drug-abusing newbies rose by 70 per cent among them were youths as young as Prathom 6, and that police arrested 200,000 drug-related cases per year. He said the drug rehabs needed Bt12 billion budget.

Adul also presided over a separated press conference about the 50,000 Yaba tablets, two blocks of raw opium, and three grenades were seized after Thai officers clashed with a 10-strong armed drug-smuggling gang in the border area of Chiang Rai's Mae Chan district at 2am yesterday. One suspect was killed and two suspects were arrested, whilst seven others fled.

It was also reported that the opium growing areas in the Southern Shan State in Burma last year grew to 36,000 rai that could produce 14 tons of heroin, and there were seven tons of heroin to be smuggled to and sold in other countries. Hence this year would see more drug smuggling attempts through Thai northern borders.

Adul also urged related agencies to watch for suspicious chemical experts and heroin- smuggling through northern borders.

He also the post offices to be stricter on package mailing after drugs were reportedly mailed to customers.

Meanwhile, Metropolitan Police announced the arrest of drug suspect Neung Daengsri, 25, along with a kilogram of crystal meth and 40,000 Yaba tablets worth Bt11 million. This arrest stemmed from the March 27, 2011 arrest of three members of the Khao Bin Prison drug-dealing ring. Despite police investigation's finding that he did this times before, Neung, a former youth football star and son of a national marathon runner, reportedly confessed to deal Yaba only two times because he owed Bt1 million in football gambling debt.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-19

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"over 300,000 addicts underwent drug rehabs" complete and total fantasy. All the Thai rehabs combined could accommodate maybe 1000 people a year. And for those, throwing up and praying is the treatment model. Thai people without money have almost no treatment options and the government has consistently declines foreign help and consulting about their addiction problem.

• Like 2

interested to know just what their definition of an 'addict' is, there's a big difference between someone who occasionally smokes dope, or yaba and can still get on with life, and someone who has to have it every day to the point that they cannot undertake their job or studies correctly. I'm guessing the latter is a 10th of the figure quoted. 90% of the world's drug problems are media-hype to scare the middle class into voting

I define an addict as someone who is controlled by the drug, that is someones whos main priority is obtaining and taking the drug. The number of recreational drug users would be 10x

• Like 2

"over 300,000 addicts underwent drug rehabs" complete and total fantasy. All the Thai rehabs combined could accommodate maybe 1000 people a year. And for those, throwing up and praying is the treatment model. Thai people without money have almost no treatment options and the government has consistently declines foreign help and consulting about their addiction problem.

You are mis-informed and should stop spouting off about what you know nothing about.

It is good to see a start on open discussion of the problem. It is difficult to accomplish much without admission of the need for change.

I think that Thailand will move towards implementing more drug treatment programs, but it will take time. There is a strong program in the works for several years now to start AA here in Thailand. The Thai gov't has done their homework and sees this as an effective "treatment" or "program" for alcoholics. With any luck, what will also come of this is NA.

Drug rehabs are wonderful things, but highly ineffective for unmotivated people. Even motivated people have an extremely difficult time making the required changes that would enable them to live an abstinence based lifestyle. A rehab is only the start. What is needed after that is supportive recovery environments, and programs to assist in making the transition to a "normal" lifestyle in mainstream society.

Thailand has many rehabs available for underfunded people. What they lack is the support after that.

There is only one "throwing up and praying" model program. Wat Thamgrabok.

• Like 1

Drug use has definatly increased, but at the same time so has the soical disparite between the have and have nots. I wonder which side of the social divide the majority of drug addicts fall. The link between poverty, lack of opportunity, dysfunctional families and drug use has been clearly established. Until these social issues which underpin drug use are effectively address, the government is fighting a losing battle. Other strategies need to be purseued in conjunction with stricter anti drug laws to make any changes effective and long lasting and provide hope and real opportunity for a better life to those addicted to or at risk of drug addiction.

Other wise the choice is simply - A shit life in a village with no future or a shit life in jail with no future - hardly a tempting choice for those stuck in a cycle of poverty.

Isn't there an ongoing study being undertaken to examine the question why there are so may Thais get addicted to amphetamines. IIRC they are looking to see if there is a genetic link to these addictions.

I think they will find it comes down to availability and price.

Isn't there an ongoing study being undertaken to examine the question why there are so may Thais get addicted to amphetamines. IIRC they are looking to see if there is a genetic link to these addictions.

I think they will find it comes down to availability and price.

With the availability being as it is everyone has access to drugs but not everyone that has an opportunity to use drugs does so and not everyone who uses drugs becomes addicted.

Based on the above the suggestion is made that there are genetic and environmental conditions that predispose individuals to drug-taking behavior and to the transition from drug-taking behavior to established and maintained drug abuse.

This is where this study comes in which is one of many that try to see if there is a genetic influence in drug abuse.

Edited by meom

I have personally seen drug use in Holland and used myself (xtc) and most of us were casual users with a normal life and work next to it. Some people however can't handle it. But many can. Must be a factor like meom is talking about.

Just like you get people who get addicted to alcohol

I have personally seen drug use in Holland and used myself (xtc) and most of us were casual users with a normal life and work next to it. Some people however can't handle it. But many can. Must be a factor like meom is talking about.

Yes the Dutch seem to be able to handle their drug use pretty well.

Drugs and music often go hand in hand which might explain why some of the best club dj’s / music producers are coming from Holland as well. Armin van Buuren, Sander van Doorn, Tiesto, Laidback Luke, Ferry Corsten, Dash Berlin, Don Diablo, DJ Chuckie, Afrojack etc. to name a few.

Not sure if there is a genetic link thoughintheclub.gif

• Like 1

Adul also presided over a separated press conference about the 50,000 Yaba tablets, two blocks of raw opium, and three grenades were seized after Thai officers clashed with a 10-strong armed drug-smuggling gang in the border area of Chiang Rai's Mae Chan district at 2am yesterday. One suspect was killed and two suspects were arrested, whilst seven others fled.

It was also reported that the opium growing areas in the Southern Shan State in Burma last year grew to 36,000 rai that could produce 14 tons of heroin, and there were seven tons of heroin to be smuggled to and sold in other countries. Hence this year would see more drug smuggling attempts through Thai northern borders.

There is a Thai museum "Park Hall of Opium" up near the Mae Sae-Tachilek border where Thailand, Laos and Burma meet. It follows the history of the opium trade for which this area, "The Golden Triangle," became famous. Of course, the museums in this area focus on how the famous drug trade in this area is a by-gone era of SE Asian history.

After reading the news story, I'm not so sure about the by-gone part. Same area, same activity, different drugs.

Drug use has definatly increased, but at the same time so has the soical disparite between the have and have nots. I wonder which side of the social divide the majority of drug addicts fall. The link between poverty, lack of opportunity, dysfunctional families and drug use has been clearly established. Until these social issues which underpin drug use are effectively address, the government is fighting a losing battle. Other strategies need to be purseued in conjunction with stricter anti drug laws to make any changes effective and long lasting and provide hope and real opportunity for a better life to those addicted to or at risk of drug addiction.

Other wise the choice is simply - A shit life in a village with no future or a shit life in jail with no future - hardly a tempting choice for those stuck in a cycle of poverty.

Nope it depends on the individual, my wife came form the kind of shi* no hope you mention and is doing very well thanks after taking 3-4 years to get her degree by working all hours, coming to BKK at age 14 with her Brother etc.

Im sure many of these losers are plain bone idle laybouts even without the drugs, never mind we can always blame poverty.........

• Like 1

2% of the Thai population are drug addicts. speaks volumes

This is tiny compared to the number of addicts in the USA.

Australia and New Zealand have the highest rates of habitual marijuana use in the world, doesnt seem to affect our society too much. I believe that drugs are a medical problem not a legal one and should all be treated like alcohol and caffeine and nicotine.

• Like 2

This can't be correct, I guess what they considered as a 'drug addict' are

users of hard drugs, especially metamphetamines, while alcohol addicts,

pharmaceutical addicts, nonsubstance addicts (gambling addicts, game

addicts etc) were not at all counted in.

If they were, the percentage would probably be much closer to 30%, but of course

no one would want to hear, admit (or deal with) that…

• Like 1

*Deleted post edited out*

Perhaps, but then the total population of Thailand is roughly 64 million, while the U.S. is almost 5 times that at 312,875,125. - Not exactly an accurate comparrison.

Edited by Scott
Deleted post edited out

Yes the Dutch seem to be able to handle their drug use pretty well.

Drugs and music often go hand in hand which might explain why some of the best club dj’s / music producers are coming from Holland as well. Armin van Buuren, Sander van Doorn, Tiesto, Laidback Luke, Ferry Corsten, Dash Berlin, Don Diablo, DJ Chuckie, Afrojack etc. to name a few.

Not sure if there is a genetic link thoughintheclub.gif

Well they're all well known people aren't they - what about Billy Goat Gruff, Muffin the Mule, Skippy the Kangaroo etc.

Edited by eastlight
  • Like 2

Love these "pie in the sky" figures they pull out . Obviously there is a big drug problem, as there is any society but, to how many are affected will never be known. Rounding up the big boy dealers and not the foot soldiers would help stem the tide and availability but that only the start.In my 10 years here I have never seen a serious effort from any Government to help the addicted and clean up the whole scene.Just another "crackdown" and photo opportunity.

i would submit that an addict is someone who uses a chemical adulterant (this would include alcohol or cigs) to the point where it has significant (ah yes, the wiggle room) negative impact on their life (could be personal, social, financial, emotional, all of the above) and continues to do so in spite of the continuing negative consequences.

of course, there are a lot of qualifiers in this statement that one can argue about, but you get the gist of the matter.

As for drug laws/rate/reports in other countries, that is all well and good, they are not thailand.

I wrote my master's thesis on an analysis of the dutch approach to drug addiction/treatment and i concluded that for a number of very good reasons, the (apparently) successful dutch model could not work in USA.... so again, culture and custom come into play when dealing with the local issues.

what we can see worldwide, is that decriminalization (not legalization) leads to lower criminal rates (duh), less use of govt jails (freeing up valuable dollars for "treatment" and other socially beneficial programs not even related to substance abuse), better socialization of addicts, better housing rates, better health outcomes, etc...

Personally, i see drug addiction as a public health problem, not strictly a medical one.... for many years i worked creating better alternatives for mentally ill, drug addicted, homeless people (in Berkeley, CA no less...).... thailand definitely has a long way to go and i wonder how they will get there...

• Like 1

The only Drug Rehab program I know of with a 70%+ success rate (stays off drugs after the program) is Narconon. There are not enough of these centers around. If there were, the root cause of the problem could get adressed after the natural detox program is complete.

• Like 1

Nope it depends on the individual, my wife came form the kind of shi* no hope you mention and is doing very well thanks after taking 3-4 years to get her degree by working all hours, coming to BKK at age 14 with her Brother etc.

Im sure many of these losers are plain bone idle laybouts even without the drugs, never mind we can always blame poverty.........

Good for your wife! Hope you teach your children well.. There is a flaw to your logic though; we can't really use your luvvly wife as a benchmark for all human behaviour now, can we?