Chemicals Used By The Pest Companies, Where To Buy Them?

vistana

We currently have a contract with a pest control company which is coming to an end soon and we would like to do our own spraying of the house and garden, does anyone know where we can buy the chemicals they use?

I seem to remember a post a long time ago about this but I am unable to locate it.

Thanks for your help.

Vistana

Almost any agricultural retailer such as those supplying farmers (as indicated by stacks of fertiliser sacks) also stock pesticides and insecticides. Your problem will be to judge which are safe yet effective and environmentally friendly. Many pesticides sold here are banned in Europe and USA. That means looking at the labels for the active ingredient; despite the instruction being printed in Thai the active ingredient is usually show in English with a percentile. For example Cypermethrin.

Presumably you want to spray against mosquitoes but need also protection against termites? I have tried several so-called pest control companies but have been disappointed, they want only to do a five minute spray around the exterior of the house and sometimes want to get in to spray the rooms leaving a smelly mess. Any suggestion that the should actually look for and treat termite threats is met with resistance.

My house is mainly off the ground (i.e. there is a space underneath the floor plan into which I can get easy access) yet Mr Termite and his friends are always finding ways in from the ground upwards and periodic visual checks and treatment are essential.

Using aerosol insecticide against visible termites or damage is a waste of time, it kills only those in the immediate area. You need to use a slower acting poison that they can take back and share with their friends. I use Chaindrite powder available in small plastic 'puff' bottles but have made a hollow needle probe by which I can puff the microfine powder into crevices. It is economical yet effective, about 150 ThB for a triple pack.

Edited by PETERTHEEATER

I have used 'CHAINDRITE STEDFAST 30SC' . This is sold in a liquid form and seems to be very effective.

It is readily available and very easy to use, either by applying by brush or from a spray. You just dilute the liquid and apply.

The label on the container says that it kills 'Termites, powder post beetles, ants and other pests'.

I agree with 'Peter the eater' that having used 'Pest control companies' in the past I was not impressed by their service and I now just use this one liquid every now and again.

I have not applied this for about 6 months now and have to say that my home is miraculously free of any form of insects.

My house is built on an elevated base and I have found that by applying this liquid with a large paint brush at about 2 feet up from the ground ( it does not stain or leave any noticeable marks on the paintwork) it would appear to give very good protection. Obviously in the rainy season I would expect its efficacy to be reduced over time; but come to think of it, the last time I applied this as I said before, was some 6 months ago and that was before the rainy season, so I should really get my act together and apply this again before I have any problems.

I hope that his is of some help.