Leased Line Problems (Tot)

nongsung

Hi All,

I'm an application developer and based in Thailand (North-East) and connect daily to a secured server

in Belgium, Europe. Since last year I have a TOT Leased Line (1MB down&up) with 75% International

speed but lately I'm only getting 300KB down and 150KB up. The contract is up for renewal but I'm

going to cancel it because it's a waste of money. I still have a TOT ADSL 10MB down and 1MB up

and that's (internationally) as fast as my (very expensive) Leased Line.

If I do a speedtest for let's say Singapore then the speed is very good and the ping is way better than

my connection to Belgium so i thought wouldn't it be possible to connect to Singapore and from there

to Belgium. My guess is that the gateway bottleneck in Thailand is worse than Singapore...

I have no idea if this is possible and if so, how I have to accomplish that... any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Edited by nongsung

Possible yes, but unlikely to help.

To do this you would need a VPN in singapore which would tunnel your connection through that route.

But you still have the same (or further) distance to travel at the speed of light (60ms is about the theoretical maximum to europe).

You still have the same number (or more) of switches and gateways to pass through on the way.

Plus you have the added overhead of a VPN encryption at each end.

There are cases where this has been known to help, but generally that means the VPN by accident forces a slightly more efficient route than the ISP uses, which could be fixed by the ISP updating their routing tables.

I have a KIRZ leased line and had issues with speed and latency initially.

Due to the price (25k) I just kept on at them every day for the first month or so and eventually we got it fixed.

Since then has been perfect.

One thing I have just spotted - do you understand the difference between MB and Mb (Mega Byte vs Mega Bit)?

1B = 8b

I very much doubt that you have a 1MBps line since all ISP's operate in Mbps

So if your line is 1Mbps and you are currently getting 300MBps then it would actually be 2.4Mbps.

Possible yes, but unlikely to help.

To do this you would need a VPN in singapore which would tunnel your connection through that route.

But you still have the same (or further) distance to travel at the speed of light (60ms is about the theoretical maximum to europe).

You still have the same number (or more) of switches and gateways to pass through on the way.

Plus you have the added overhead of a VPN encryption at each end.

There are cases where this has been known to help, but generally that means the VPN by accident forces a slightly more efficient route than the ISP uses, which could be fixed by the ISP updating their routing tables.

I have a KIRZ leased line and had issues with speed and latency initially.

Due to the price (25k) I just kept on at them every day for the first month or so and eventually we got it fixed.

Since then has been perfect.

One thing I have just spotted - do you understand the difference between MB and Mb (Mega Byte vs Mega Bit)?

1B = 8b

I very much doubt that you have a 1MBps line since all ISP's operate in Mbps

So if your line is 1Mbps and you are currently getting 300MBps then it would actually be 2.4Mbps.

Thanks for the info, just this morning I've contacted overplay.net and they will give me a 48 hours subscription

in order to test the connection from Thailand to their Singapore server (and from there to Belgium).

Yes, I know the differences between megabyte & megabit, just sloppy writing...

I have (or I should have) a 1/1 Mbps line but only get around .4/.2 Mbps (and a ping of over 700!)

Have complained for over 6 months now and TOT does not seem to be able to fix it.

It's very costly, around 150K baht per year so I'm looking for alternatives...

Regards,

Peter

Hi Nongsung

I am in North East Thailand also and have a 2mb /2mb lease line with TOT (only option where I'm located)

This is my 2nd leased line with them and I note that they now only guarantee the speed inside Thailand where as before it was international as well

not sure but you should look at any new contract (with any company) before signing

Regards

Colin

Even with a VPN that VPN tunnel/encryption is still traveling within TOT's circuits for the in-Thailand portion of the routing. And the international bandwidth chokepoint/throttle is probably occurring at TOT's international gateway. Plus, there is the long distance involved even with routing through Singapore. While use of the Singapore server may help a little and/or provide a more consistent data flow, I'll be surprised if it helps with overall/max international speed very much, but I could be wrong...I'm good at being wrong. But as already mentioned, maybe the routing after the Singapore connection will be improved which in turn will provide better speed and a little lower ping time.

From Bangkok here I sometimes use a StrongVPN San Francisco sever and about the best speed I can get is 2.2Mb through that server even through my True cable 20Mb plan can give me around a 6Mb speed to SF...but that VPN 2.2Mb speed of course gives me a U.S. IP address and many times snappier browsing to U.S. web sites due to the more consistent/smoother data flow. The VPN server may not be faster "speedtest-wise" but having a consistent/smoother data flow versus a lot of stop-and-go (in the milliseconds) data flow can make all the difference sometimes, especially for streaming video.