Jomtien Bar Closures

dogtim

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after they've milked the naive Russian market here and Russians learn about better places to go, who will the next market be? I am hoping for Mexicans!

post-37101-0-16454400-1327739744_thumb.j

There's no hiding what his favorite food is

Actually, it's Chinese.

post-37101-0-16239800-1327747372_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

So you are saying to escape the madness of Jomtien you stay in Bangkok escape the noise and traffic (probably the pollution too) - you are too funny!!giggle.gif

Sounds strange, I know. I never thought, ever, that I would have to go to Bangkok to get away from the crap/noise in Pattaya-Jomtien. Believe it or not, it is actually quiet where I stay and the place does not smell like a sewer. But I stay at a special hotel and no way I am going to tell people where it is other than to say it is close to the river. Yes, in Bangkok the traffic is bad and so is the air, but not all day long. Unfortunately, Pattaya-Jomtien really is getting polluted in many ways. The cancer cell motto "all growth is good" development plan has failed. Somebody at City Hall needs to think about quality of life when they put together a development plan. The truth is that neither Bangkok nor Pattaya-Jomtien are for me anymore.......so? I will move eventually.

Why don't you fly out next week? You don't own a condo/house here if I remember correctly? You are always extremely negative about Pattaya, if I felt it that way, I would be gone long time ago.

You can borrow 100 bath from me for help with the ticket if you want (0% interest rate).

• Like 1

All Bars in Thailand should be closed, get rid of the sex tourist & some of the other scum... coffee1.gif

Replace with what? Copy t-shirt shops?

Why replace them?

What are you suggesting? Make Pattaya a rice farm?

Fish Farm

So you are saying to escape the madness of Jomtien you stay in Bangkok escape the noise and traffic (probably the pollution too) - you are too funny!!giggle.gif

Sounds strange, I know. I never thought, ever, that I would have to go to Bangkok to get away from the crap/noise in Pattaya-Jomtien. Believe it or not, it is actually quiet where I stay and the place does not smell like a sewer. But I stay at a special hotel and no way I am going to tell people where it is other than to say it is close to the river. Yes, in Bangkok the traffic is bad and so is the air, but not all day long. Unfortunately, Pattaya-Jomtien really is getting polluted in many ways. The cancer cell motto "all growth is good" development plan has failed. Somebody at City Hall needs to think about quality of life when they put together a development plan. The truth is that neither Bangkok nor Pattaya-Jomtien are for me anymore.......so? I will move eventually.

Why don't you fly out next week? You don't own a condo/house here if I remember correctly? You are always extremely negative about Pattaya, if I felt it that way, I would be gone long time ago.

You can borrow 100 bath from me for help with the ticket if you want (0% interest rate).

Oh, you reminded me to tell the truth. Pattaya-Jomtien has pretty much been destroyed by an insane form of development. Most of what was good is gone now. The Russians can have it along with the idiots that drink alcohol 24 hours per day and think the place is wonderful. Actually, I fly out frequently due to my job. That keeps me sane. I suggest you do the same, especially if you think there is nothing wrong with the place.

So after they've milked the naive Russian market here and Russians learn about better places to go, who will the next market be? I am hoping for Mexicans!

Actually, it's Chinese.

so is mine, so where do you go for a good Chinese fix? (sorry to hijack the thread, but us stupid Farangs have no control over bar closures)

Actually, it's Chinese.

so is mine, so where do you go for a good Chinese fix? (sorry to hijack the thread, but us stupid Farangs have no control over bar closures)

I don't have a clue where to get the kind of Chinese food I really like in Pattaya. It's even hard in Bangkok. Singapore, yes.

Anything that drives away the Russians is ok by me!

Typical type statement that you find talking to somone in a beer bar over here on their annual 2-4 week 'holiday'.....all experts on what is good for Pattaya

Anyone with half a brain would see if Russion tourism stopped tomorrow, Pattaya would be a shell of what it is today....

Actually I live about 40 minutes outside of Pattaya full time.

• 4 months later...

The BIB's are at it again in Jomtien.

Several bar owners have been arrested in the past few days by Soi 9 police.

The latest craze for the BIB's is to arrest 'the responsible person' after they ask to see a 'bar licence' (ใบอนุญาตจัดตั้งสถานประกอบการ), which is impossible to obtain in Jomtien, which is a separate 'khet' from Pattaya, and is in a different 'zone', and therefore any 'bar' in Jomtien cannot obtain said licence, and is therefore under the current legislation operating illegally.

A 'bar' is defined as a commercial premises where girls are allowed to sit with customers and consume drinks (ie hostesses), and then if things develop, can leave the 'bar' together. ''Bars'' can have girls only over 20 years of age, and they can only serve drinks, not sit with customers.

Further, 'bars' in Jomtien under current licence rules and regulations licenced premises that are not 'bars' can serve beer and alchohol only between 1100hrs and 1400hrs and then 1700hrs until 0000hrs. at 0000hrs it is ''check bin'', lights off, music off and home.

Checks with the Amphoe in Banglamung confirm that no establishment in Jomtien can obtain a 'bar' licence, and therefore cannot have 'hostesses'.

However, in the recent "crackdown' it seems the BIB's from Soi 9 requested a young lady in a Jomtien 'bar'' they believed to be under age, and in charge of a ''bar'' without a 'bar' licence. to 'meet' at Soi 9, and when she walked in the door they promptly placed her under arrest and asked her to sign an arrest report that she had been arrested by them in Jomtien, placed in custody and taken by them to Soi 9,alleging she was under age with a false ID, and allegedly demanded that she plead guilty to being in charge of a 'bar', without a 'bar'' licence.

The young lady in question hands over an ID card and turns out to be 25 years old, and refused to sign the arrest report, which contained a series of allegedly false statements by the BIB's in question regarding where she was arrested, and what was said, and what offences she was 'guilty'' of, and advised she would not plead guilty to any offence, at which time the scene turned nasty, and young lady was advised if she pleaded guilty, she could stay in the police cells over night, go to Court in the morning, get a fine of 2,000 baht and walk out of Court in the afternoon, but if she stuck to her not guilty, she would be held at Soi 9 for 48 hours with no bail before being sent to the Court, and would get a jail sentence. At this point, she was taken off to the cells and locked up for an hour or so and refused a telephone call.

The young lady stuck to her story, and on the arrival of a friend and after a couple of calls, a lawyer was appointed at 0100 hrs, and under extreme pressure from the lawyer, who asked why it was Soi 9 and not Dong Tan police ( at which point a panicked inspector tried to send her to Dong Tan, but could not because the computer had already generated a case number) and under extreme pressure and with great reluctance, the BIB's finally agreed bail of 50,000 would suffice if she intended to plead not guilty. The lawyer questioned why bail was 50,000 for an offence carrying a fine of 2,000 baht to be told by the BIB ''up to me'' (maybe hoping a young Thai could not find 50k cash, and would pleag guilty after all as it was so ''easy'').

The lawyer contacted a friend of the young lady and asked her friend to bring 50,000 bail money to Soi 9, but while the lawyer was out, and the friend was out collecting cash, there was allegedly an hour long interrogation session involving threats of long jail sentences, and it being explained how ''easy' it would be if she only pleaded guilty, and took one night in jail and a 2,000 baht fine. There was allegedly a very senior BIB involved in this in a room full of police officers, where the young lady in question was allegedly subjected to persistent threats, and not allowed to have a lawyer or friend in the room with her, and told how simple it would all be - if she would just plead guilty. Young lady refuses, then it is back off to the cells.

The friend then turns up with 50k, and the lady in question sticks to her story, and with pressure from the lawyer, was bailed about 0400 hrs after hours of delays and dragging feet, and friends receiving evil looks from the BIB's.

The threats, plea's, coercion and haranguing to plead guilty allegedly continued even as she was completing bail documents. The threats continued until she was leaving Soi 9. The following day the inspector called again allegedly trying to persuade her to change her story and just plead guilty and save all the hassle of an investigation and a Court date. Young lady refused, and when inspector asked for documents advised on legal advice that she would make no statement, and provide no documents whatoseover, and if the BIB's wanted them, they could apply via official channels, and she was eagerly awaiting her day in Court.

By the time the inspector called, he was unaware that on being bailed, and her phone being handed back, the lady in question as it turns out is well connected, and has a family member in another province who is a very senior BIB, and also an aunt who is a senior licencing official, has a close family friend who is a Criminal Court Judge, as well as having some serious connections in Bangkok, and in many provinces. None of which she told the Soi 9 BIB;s, but knew enough to remain silent and sign nothing that was not true.

The story will no doubt unfold, but allegedly the young lady it seems has not broken any law, as the 'bar' allegedly' is not a 'bar' under the rules, and has another licence (which the BIB's allegedly refused to copy as evidence) and said young lady was the simply the accountant for another company that owns the bar and some other properties, and was only in the bar to finalise a stock take and audit for monthly tax and insurance reporting, and was not in fact guilty of any offence whatsoever.

The young lady's family allegedly have whisked her off to Bangkok to speak with the Department of Special Investigations, Department of Internal Affairs, and are in the process of filing a Court case against the BIB's for wrongful arrest, and false imprisonment, as well as lodging an official complaint at Soi 9 and RTP Headquarters in BKK calling for an investigation.

The bottom line is for all Jomtien 'bars' that this licence cannot be obtained, a fact that Dongtan police are well aware of, so the Soi 9 allegedly chance their arms, to demonstrate they are çracking down' on unlicenced 'bars' although it seems this time things may not have turned out as well as the Soi 9 BIB's expected.

Som nam na.