Temporary Motor Insurance In The Uk

Any Brits here with experience of getting insured to drive having lived abroad for a few years. I'm heading back for the Olympics in June/July. I've tried most of the online companies (AA, Swinton, RAC etc) and they won't quote because I haven't been permanently resident in the UK for the last 12 months.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

I guess you need to assess the risk of saying that you are UK resident. Would they check your residency status if you had to make a claim? Then you just need a UK address for them to mail the policy to. Same address as is on your driving license ?

If you have car insurance in Thailand you can get a letter from your insurance company stating that you've held it for x years, even better if you've never claimed on it. Use that letter in the UK (makes sure it's in English) for proof on no claims bonus and it will be accepted.

Last time I tried to insure after being abroad for 5 years I was informed that I had lost all my no claims bonus.[too long away].

The cost was prohibitive..

Once you could insure for a brief period but now they will only sell insurance for one year.

Expensive.

You could try to pay insurance by installments and merely not pay any more installments when you leave Britain.

II is possible they have closed this loophole.

If you are over 60 you can obtain a 'free' travel pass which allows you bus,tube and rail free within the M.25.

You can also travel free on any local bus route anywhere in England.

You will also find ,should you buy a car , that it is impossible to park anywhere for free in London.

Edited by 4.real

^ 'If you are over 60 you can obtain a 'free' travel pass which allows you bus,tube and rail free within the M.25.

You can also travel free on any local bus route anywhere in England.'

WOW! now that's the ticket. Might make a trip back there, luved my tour - had never seen so many shades of green as I had in Dorset way back when, studying tank design. Service the target array!

Thanks for the responses. Don't want to hire - I enjoy driving and my Z1's been in storage for nearly 3 years. Couldn't go back and drive some econo-box around.

I'll have a go at Liverpool Victoria and, failing that, I'll try some of the special case insurers.