African Americans

adelaideHXC

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon you're under surveillance by the CIA, and they've sent shady-looking agents to tail him so that they blend in with the local millieu in lower Sukhumvit.

Are these African American chaps generally wearing two-piece single-breasted grey suits and dark glasses?

SC

Three from three were offering drugs. I know thats a small sample size but enough for me to not engage in anymore conversation. Definately not wanting to be involved in that sort of business here.

Now I'm confused, you say that you never responded to their greetings and now you say that 3 for 3 were offering drugs? Is "What's up?" a new code for soliciting a drug sale, or did they flash you some drugs as they greeted you? Come on, what's up wid dat?

Three from three were offering drugs. I know thats a small sample size but enough for me to not engage in anymore conversation. Definately not wanting to be involved in that sort of business here.

Now I'm confused, you say that you never responded to their greetings and now you say that 3 for 3 were offering drugs? Is "What's up?" a new code for soliciting a drug sale, or did they flash you some drugs as they greeted you? Come on, what's up wid dat?In my post previous to the one you quoted I said I would investigate further by engaging in conversation beyond 'whats up'. Which I did today, 3 times, which lead to said offerings.Confusion resolved?I think it must be my appearance that leads them to believe I am a potential buyer. Also I think my appearance leads the local ladies to assuming I have little money, something I'm ok with ;)

^ So u be livin' in da ghetto... if you had said that in the OP, this would never have got to 2 pages. So now you have confirmation (if it was ever needed) that you look like a bad 'un.

Yup SC, although I lived in the 'hood, I aint blind. But I will admit that there was absolutely NO attractions for this white boy on Soi 3, 5 or 7. My barber shop was around Soi 9 and dining and clubbing was Soi 11.

My personal masseuse works on Soi 24.... Oops! Wrong thread.

No way they were African-Americans if they were offering you drugs.

Agreed. Not Americans.

NOBODY in America does drugs. That would be illegal. Its the Mexicans that do drugs. Specifically, they do drug exports. No idea where to .... probably Nigeria

SC

• Like 1

What region of Africa are African-Americans from?

Detroit.

What, not their turf?

Not to stereotype anyone, but in the US, when you see someone that is heavily tattooed with a shaven head, the first thought is that they are involved in criminal activity. Criminal, biker, drug dealer, user, etc... No wonder the OP was tagged for a score.

Agreed. Not Americans.

NOBODY in America does drugs. That would be illegal. Its the Mexicans that do drugs. Specifically, they do drug exports. No idea where to .... probably Nigeria

SC

What does this have to do with life in Thailand?

of course they were. why else would they be out on Sukhumvit offering greetings to almost every passer by?

Why is it always African American? Very few blacks in America are actually African. We don't call anyone else by their origins, ie European American, Indian American, South American American. Growing up, I was called asian, and we called black people, wait for it, black people. I grew up outside of Detroit, in a city that was 55% black and less than a half percent asian. I never once met someone from Africa until I moved out of the US. If you saw a black person here, he probably actually was from Africa. Especially since Sukhumvit from Nana to Soi 5, is called Little Africa, for a reason.

On topic, in my experience in Thailand, anyone greeting you on the street, whether Thai, or black or Indian, or whatever, they are just trying to sell you something. I confuse them, so sometimes they give me the American "whats up?" or sometimes they speak to me in Japanese (I guess I look it a little). I mainly ignore anyone that greets me in any way on the street. Not stuck up, just not buying.

Edited by floridaguy
  • Like 1

Why is it always African American? Very few blacks in America are actually African. We don't call anyone else by their origins,

When I was very young we called them colored people, then negros, then black and now African Americans. I wish that they would make up their minds. tongue.png

• Like 1

Why is it always African American? Very few blacks in America are actually African. We don't call anyone else by their origins, ie European American, Indian American, South American American. Growing up, I was called asian, and we called black people, wait for it, black people. I grew up outside of Detroit, in a city that was 55% black and less than a half percent asian. I never once met someone from Africa until I moved out of the US. If you saw a black person here, he probably actually was from Africa. Especially since Sukhumvit from Nana to Soi 5, is called Little Africa, for a reason.

On topic, in my experience in Thailand, anyone greeting you on the street, whether Thai, or black or Indian, or whatever, they are just trying to sell you something. I confuse them, so sometimes they give me the American "whats up?" or sometimes they speak to me in Japanese (I guess I look it a little). I mainly ignore anyone that greets me in any way on the street. Not stuck up, just not buying.

"On topic, in my experience in Thailand, anyone greeting you on the street, whether Thai, or black or Indian, or whatever, they are just trying to sell you something."

Aint that the truth.

"I mainly ignore anyone that greets me in any way on the street"

I ignore everyone, especially in that part of town.

For those wondering what the OP refers to, take a walk to Foodland on Suk soi 5.

Later in the evening take a walk up to soi 13.

Take the boat from The Mall Bang Kapi about 4 or 5 in the evening and get off at Nana Nuea Suk soi 3, these guys aint on their way to Thai language school, they are living in low cost rental areas such as Wat Klang, Maha Chai, and Ram.

Gem stones is another of their wares, watch the pimps looking out for the freelancers that line Suk in the evening.

Could go on, why bother. You need to see this shit with your own eyes.

Agreed. Not Americans.

SC

What does this have to do with life in Thailand?

Nigerians in Thailand. smile.png

My Ancestors are from Scandinavia Am i Scandinavian English, I thought where you where Born had an impact on what Nationality you are, I don't Understand, or is it just another Americanism.

Maybe !! My ancestors are from Ireland, France and England and some of em ended up in America,

so I must be a " Mongrel Englander " laugh.png.

For some reasons, Thai people don't like black people.

That's why whitening cream sell so well in Thailand.

Ridiculous !

That is a pretty ridiculous statement. You can also say that Thais don't like farangs. Well, "some" Thais don't like farangs. As for whitening cream...it's about Thais trying to look more like Koreans. Has nothing to do with farangs.

• Like 1

Why is it always African American? Very few blacks in America are actually African. We don't call anyone else by their origins,

When I was very young we called them colored people, then negros, then black and now African Americans. I wish that they would make up their minds. tongue.png

What are you, like 150 years old?cheesy.gif

For some reasons, Thai people don't like black people.

That's why whitening cream sell so well in Thailand.

Ridiculous !

That is a pretty ridiculous statement. You can also say that Thais don't like farangs. Well, "some" Thais don't like farangs. As for whitening cream...it's about Thais trying to look more like Koreans. Has nothing to do with farangs.

The beauty industry as a whole supports itself by attempting to sell the majority a beauty ideal they cannot possibly retain permanently. In the West, it sells white people tanning sessions and fake tan safe in the knowledge that customers can't retain their new look without making a commitment to purchasing the sessions and products ad infinitum.

Same with the Africans and darker-skinned Asians - the majority have it drummed into them that whiter skin is more attractive and consequently, whitening/fading lotions fly off the shelves.

Recently, one of the cashiers at Villa Supermarket almost fell over when I recoiled in horror at the realization I'd accidentally put the whitening version of some body lotion in my basket and rushed off to fetch the normal stuff. I guess she assumed, like most Thais I meet, that because there are quite a few Thais who are darker than I am, I must be using something to lighten my colouring.