Snakes, Guns And Bib

necronx99

many snakes are killed needlesly thru lack of education many snakes will run away form you as fast as they can ( maybe they know u have a gun).

So the answer is "I dont know" but try not to blast it unless necessary.

If you can shoot a gun at a rifle range ( a man recently did this to himself) cant see why not.

My only question is WHY would you want to? Would you shoot the first dog or cat that pops up? Dogs are FAR more of menace or problem than any snake in Thailand.

This is not about should I, but can I (legally) without getting done on a firearms charge.

There are lots of situations where should/should't will fall either way.

I have a fence to keep out feral dogs but, If it makes you feel better we can substitute snake for rabid dog.

Dogs are FAR more of menace or problem than any snake in Thailand.

Hmmmm....depends on the neighborhood, Ian.

Are either a great problem?

The real menace are those two-legged creatures that stand upright.

If you feel the snake offends/threatens you so much, use the garden hoe, shovel and bash the poor critter. The gunshot may upset the neighbors or the rest of you household. Plus it is eaiser/quiocker to clean the hoe/shovel than cleaning the firearm after its use. If your a few klicks from town, why would you even need to worry about the legality?

If you feel the snake offends/threatens you so much, use the garden hoe, shovel and bash the poor critter. The gunshot may upset the neighbors or the rest of you household. Plus it is eaiser/quiocker to clean the hoe/shovel than cleaning the firearm after its use. If your a few klicks from town, why would you even need to worry about the legality?

It's about right tool for the job, plant carrots = hoe. kill something = gun, some snakes can be quite aggressive if you try to kill them and miss.

As to legality,I have neighbors within earshot.

many snakes will run away form you as fast as they can...

Baloney. I have run across two snakes in Thailand. One in Issan did skitter away quickly. The other, in Thonburi, slowly slithered down the tree trunk...toward me...on which I was leaning.

In the States I have run into several snakes while hiking, including 2 rattlers, a couple of copperheads, and some snakes I couldn't identify. About equally divided between those who quickly slitered away and those who stood their ground or moved toward me slowly.

If you feel the snake offends/threatens you so much, use the garden hoe, shovel and bash the poor critter. The gunshot may upset the neighbors or the rest of you household.

Nonsense. Just tell them you are a Red Shirt. It will be okay.

• Like 2

It's about right tool for the job, plant carrots = hoe. kill something = gun, some snakes can be quite aggressive if you try to kill them and miss.

As to legality,I have neighbors within earshot.

You have hoes to plant your carrot. jerk.gif

does the snake owe you money ?

did he shag your wife ?

why you wanna shoot him ?

Now if he gets a gun and you have one. then go for it. its a fair fight.

Hardly a fair fight - how would he pull the trigger?

I would suggest that if the firearm is legal and licensed and the critter is on your land when you fure, and you are far enough away from the neighbours land or the public highway, then it should be fine.

If the neighbours ask, either deny it or tell them you have a license to shoot on your land. Let them have the carcass if you are not going to eat it.

As to legality,I have neighbors within earshot

Is that you in your avatar?

jb1

My only question is WHY would you want to? Would you shoot the first dog or cat that pops up? Dogs are FAR more of menace or problem than any snake in Thailand.

This is not about should I, but can I (legally) without getting done on a firearms charge.

There are lots of situations where should/should't will fall either way.

I have a fence to keep out feral dogs but, If it makes you feel better we can substitute snake for rabid dog.

You may have gathered that most of us who have lived here for a while have accepted that snakes are EVERYWHERE, but fortunately run off - and only attack when they feel threatened or cornered.

I see cobras around every now and again (when my dogs alert me to their presence), but they always bugger off as soon as they can!

Side topic - I thought farangs were not allowed to own guns?

Would think about shoot ing the snake, a farmer here in the neighbourhood came home to find his wife crying her eyes out, on asking the reason she told him there was a brown snake in the kitchen , did you shoot it he asked, no she replied but I shot the fridge, the dishwasher a few cupboards and the back door as it escaped, this actually happened in Murph,ys Creek Queensland onthe 7th of jan this year, the moral of this story leave the frigging snakes alone!!!

• Like 1

Dogs are FAR more of menace or problem than any snake in Thailand.

Hmmmm....depends on the neighborhood, Ian.

Are either a great problem?

The real menace are those two-legged creatures that stand upright.

Yeah but you can shoot them here no problem, happens everyday.

Whether you shoot the snake and kill it has no bearing on it's legality. Have you thought about the potiental danger of where the bullet might end up if you miss? Problably not since your willing to kill a snake that's more afraid of you than you are if it. I suspect you are a foreigner. Being that do you have a license and permit for the gun? Is it registered? Probably not. It is "illegal" for you to own one let alone posess one. I think you will have a bigger problem with the authorities.

If you have a problem with Snakes , maybe your property could do with a clean up . they only come looking for food, (rats), i have encountered many snakes, Usually Cobras, I just stand still and they always move away from me, Walk heavy, Stamping your feet as you walk) is one way of way letting them know you are there, I would never kill a snake, Most people only get bitten in Thailand if they stand on Snakes by accident.Or are foolish to play with them, also Cobras can bite and still not inject Venom, so don't be fooled if some one tells you that they have been bitten and had no reaction , its because the snake did not inject venom with its bite.

PS don't shoot the snake, it will not stop them, because more will come to the Funeral.

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Like 1