Airline Information And Flight Deals For Expats

craigt3365

23 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Qatar Air 48hr Biz Class sale...up to half off to Europe.

I was just about to post the same. Finally some fairly good discounts from them. It's been a long wait.

Edit: Actually these just seem to be part of the two-passenger promo so of no real interest to anyone flying alone.

Edited by KittenKong
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I was just about to post the same. Finally some fairly good discounts from them. It's been a long wait.

Edit: Actually these just seem to be part of the two-passenger promo so of no real interest to anyone flying alone.

No...they are running two promos concurrently..."Two 2 Travel" specials and solo travelers. These are solo fares I believe.

6 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

No...they are running two promos concurrently..."Two 2 Travel" specials and solo travelers. These are solo fares I believe.

Well, that's what I initially thought from the email but when one goes to the website it seems to only show the two-passenger deals. Not very clear.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Well, that's what I initially thought from the email but when one goes to the website it seems to only show the two-passenger deals. Not very clear.

I stand corrected...the picture prices are indeed for two travelers. However, the solo traveler prices are pretty good too...mostly low '70s to 80s for Europe return. Qatar will be on a promotional footing until this diplomatic embrolio blows over.

30 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I stand corrected...the picture prices are indeed for two travelers. However, the solo traveler prices are pretty good too...mostly low '70s to 80s for Europe return. Qatar will be on a promotional footing until this diplomatic embrolio blows over.

Do you know if there is any date restrictions on the Qatar business class promotion?

I just did a search for 2 pax July/August 2018 and it came up 130,000 baht/person.

• 2 weeks later...

Euro expats based in the Phils might be interested in a biz class fare with China Eastern from Clark and Cebu to Europe. London is about £1050 return. A bit cheaper to Prague, Madrid and Milan. Limited dates through to next April, do your own footwork using momondo, kayak, skyscanner, etc.

Edited by Khun Han

• 2 weeks later...

With Qatar starting 4-day/week services to Chiang Mai in December and U-Tapao in January 2018, a preliminary test of the latter indicated r/t coach fares for less than £600. No advertised specials as yet so just a heads-up for those looking for alternatives to traveling via Suvarnabhumi.

• Like 1

I'm a potential-customer for the flights from Chiang Mai, unfortunately had already booked my January-trip via BKK, so I'm waiting to see what price they offer in their regular early/mid-January Sale, and also whether the flights will continue to run after late-March ?

This year I had booked CNX-DOH-LHR with Qatar for May, but ended-up routing via BKK involuntarily anyway, when they cancelled the previously-advertised/sold flights. 

Edited by Ricardo

2 hours ago, Ricardo said:

I'm a potential-customer for the flights from Chiang Mai, unfortunately had already booked my January-trip via BKK, so I'm waiting to see what price they offer in their regular early/mid-January Sale, and also whether the flights will continue to run after late-March ?

This year I had booked CNX-DOH-LHR with Qatar for May, but ended-up routing via BKK involuntarily anyway, when they cancelled the previously-advertised/sold flights. 

High-season only and end in late March. They won't be available for Songkran which is a bit of a bugger.

17 hours ago, NanLaew said:

With Qatar starting 4-day/week services to Chiang Mai in December and U-Tapao in January 2018, a preliminary test of the latter indicated r/t coach fares for less than £600. No advertised specials as yet so just a heads-up for those looking for alternatives to traveling via Suvarnabhumi.

Just done a bit of searching for fares in the posh seats, and I'm coming up with fares from the UK that are double what you would pay to BKK, and fares from Stockholm (which is currently heavily discounted with Qatar) are triple!!! I wonder who Qatar are hoping to sell this route to in Premium?

19 hours ago, NanLaew said:

18 hours ago, Ricardo said:

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

Just done a bit of searching for fares in the posh seats, and I'm coming up with fares from the UK that are double what you would pay to BKK, and fares from Stockholm (which is currently heavily discounted with Qatar) are triple!!! I wonder who Qatar are hoping to sell this route to in Premium?

Apart from some preliminary advance promotions on a new route (which doesn't always happen) - its unlikely they will heavily discount this flight.

Reason being - they are the only airline serving this single sector (CNX-Doha) so there is zero competition for pax wanting a direct flight.

Secondly the airline will analyse revenue and loading over the first 6-12 months to see how it fares (pun intended)

Don't expect any cheap flights soon, but if they do appear jump on them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Argus Tuft said:

Apart from some preliminary advance promotions on a new route (which doesn't always happen) - its unlikely they will heavily discount this flight.

Reason being - they are the only airline serving this single sector (CNX-Doha) so there is zero competition for pax wanting a direct flight.

Secondly the airline will analyse revenue and loading over the first 6-12 months to see how it fares (pun intended)

Don't expect any cheap flights soon, but if they do appear jump on them

CNX has been on special offer from Oslo in biz (just over 1300 Euros, if I remember correctly), but the fares for the same class to UTP are borderline insane. I understand what you are saying about direct flights, but even Singapore were coming up cheaper (with a short hop on a codeshare to UTP). It's hard to imagine who, of Qatar's premium passengers, is going to spend thousands extra for what is basically an hour less in a taxi at the destination end rather than flying into BKK.

On 01/11/2017 at 3:36 AM, Khun Han said:

CNX has been on special offer from Oslo in biz (just over 1300 Euros, if I remember correctly), but the fares for the same class to UTP are borderline insane. I understand what you are saying about direct flights, but even Singapore were coming up cheaper (with a short hop on a codeshare to UTP). It's hard to imagine who, of Qatar's premium passengers, is going to spend thousands extra for what is basically an hour less in a taxi at the destination end rather than flying into BKK.

I cant imagine this new UTP flight generating any new business at all. Maybe a few people will choose it rather than fly into Bangkok, but that will just leave more unsold seats into BKK. For business class the effect will just be compounded.

Especially as it would actually cost me twice as much to get from UTP to Jomtien in a minibus as it does to get from BKK to Jomtien in a proper bus. Ridiculous.

What makes me buy my business class tickets is a discounted price, not a premium one. Maybe they will do some heavy discounting of business class upgrades near to departure times. That at least would be worth keeping an eye on.

• Like 2

Anyone wanting to return to Europe for Christmas in style and prepared to position to Guangzhou (near Hong Kong), can get Turkish via Istanbul in the posh seats to several European cities for less than 47,000Bt. London can be had for about another 5500Bt. Book via Skyscanner.

18 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Anyone wanting to return to Europe for Christmas in style and prepared to position to Guangzhou (near Hong Kong), .....

A year or two ago there were lots of good offers outbound from BKK. These seem to have completely dried up. Yet in the other direction there are still plenty, with prices for the same premium seat often coming in at half what it would cost from here. Strange.

And yet another Qatar sale. Or is the same one extended? It's getting to the point where it would be simpler to post on days when they dont have a sale.

And still nothing of any interest in business class that I can see. Very poor compared to what was available in previous sales.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en-th/offers/online-sale.html

• 4 weeks later...

Air China have some cheap deals in economy from London to Bangkok on selected dates across the first half of next year, as low as £280 return. Biz class is available for £1320 with, apparently, one of the most comfortable flat bed seats in the sky on the 77W. Use one of the usual OTA's to search.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thai Lion Air have got a new plane, the A330-300 will apparently be operating on the two biggest routes of DMK-CNX and DMK-HKT, and as a launch-offer they are offering one-way from B655 including taxes & hold-luggage.

http://www.lionairthai.com/en/Promotion/A330

I don't know what availability there will be, when these new flights will start, but it's a big plane to fill and a quick look at mid-week mid-February & mid-March showed some flights at B815 which isn't too bad. :cool:

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 1

I recently saw a Santa-Sale from Finnair  (Santa's Official Airline !)  in their newsletter, book by 8th January for travel between 26th February & 30th June, Amsterdam or Barcelona or Copenhagen from B20,900, London & Paris & Frankfurt from B22, 900 as examples of the sorts of fares being quoted.

https://www.finnair.com/th/gb/flight-offers-europe?utm_medium=email&utm_source=plusmail&utm_campaign=site+Newsletter+PlusMail+Thailand+y2017+m12+wk51+d22+TH+GB&utm_content=flights+A+holiday+surprise+above+the+clouds&ETj=4649272&ETl=396_HTML&sfmc_sub=47504580&ETu=308673687&ETjb=3&ETmid=6230917

Edited by Ricardo

2 hours ago, Ricardo said:

I recently saw a Santa-Sale from Finnair  (Santa's Official Airline !)  in their newsletter, book by 8th January for travel between 26th February & 30th June, Amsterdam or Barcelona or Copenhagen from B20,900, London & Paris & Frankfurt from B22, 900 as examples of the sorts of fares being quoted.

https://www.finnair.com/th/gb/flight-offers-europe?utm_medium=email&utm_source=plusmail&utm_campaign=site+Newsletter+PlusMail+Thailand+y2017+m12+wk51+d22+TH+GB&utm_content=flights+A+holiday+surprise+above+the+clouds&ETj=4649272&ETl=396_HTML&sfmc_sub=47504580&ETu=308673687&ETjb=3&ETmid=6230917

I searched a few dates and could never get the advertised lowest fare. Looks like another fake promotion.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Thai Lion Air have got a new plane, the A330-300 will apparently be operating on the two biggest routes of DMK-CNX and DMK-HKT, and as a launch-offer they are offering one-way from B655 including taxes & hold-luggage.

http://www.lionairthai.com/en/Promotion/A330

I don't know what availability there will be, when these new flights will start, but it's a big plane to fill and a quick look at mid-week mid-February & mid-March showed some flights at B815 which isn't too bad. :cool:

We flew with Thai from Swampy to CNX last year on a big bird. Can't remember whether it was a 777 or A330, but it was pretty full.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

We flew with Thai from Swampy to CNX last year on a big bird. Can't remember whether it was a 777 or A330, but it was pretty full.

I see one take-off mid-morning (10.30-11ish ?), from my terrace, and am sure they'll be putting-on more over the Xmas-season.

And there was a Thai 747 parked at gate 4 or 5, when my Air Asia from DMK pulled-up, mid-November.

I always prefer a wide-body, from a space/claustraphobia point-of-view, on the other hand it's nice to have better frequency (with smaller narrow-body) too ! 

I'm waiting on the January-Sales on the Gulf-three, to book the remainder of my long-haul trips, for next year  ... the prospect of using Qatar direct-to-Doha & thus avoiding two PNRs & the usual Bangkok-hassle is positive ! :cool:

Edited by Ricardo
sorry, that's ex-CNX, in case it wasn't clear !