Overstay And 30 Day Extension

I'm here in Thailand on a double entry 60 day tourist visa.. I just noticed the 60 days expired on january 20 before I got a chance to go to Immigration office in Phuket town and get the 30 day extension. Is it possible to pay the overstay fine there and still be able to get the 30 day extension if I go there tomorrow?

You should go to immigration tomorrow pay rhe overstay, 3 days ar 500 baht/day = 1500 baht, and extend your visa for 30 days, 1900 baht. The 30 days will be from the 20th, not tomorrow the 23rd.

You cannot extend an expired visa. i.e you don't have a visa to extend anymore...you're illegal.

Your best bet is to leave and just pay the overstay fine at the airport or land border. It's no big deal (500 baht a day).

A cheap air asia flight to and from a neighbouring country will get you another month in Thailand, or alternatively, a land border run will get u 14 days.

hmmm... i'm not so confortable with the conflicting advice being given here... logic would tell me that if i'm illegal, it shouldn't matter whether im at the airport or immigration office regarding the consequences.. but then again, TIT... logic would also tell me that i'm a bit more comfortable with listening to someone who has been around long enough to have made 23,839 posts compared to someone with only 11... it does suggest the possibility of him having more experience and knowledge than others.. however any other comments supporting either of the suggested resolutions would be appreciated... the visit to the Immigration office in the morning would certainly be my preference

According to your post, your visa has not expired, you have overstayed your first 60 day permission to stay stamped in your passport. As I said you should be able to go and pay the 3 day overstay - 1500 baht - and apply for a 30 day extension - 1900 baht. The start of the 30 days will be the expiration date of your permission to stay. I did the exact same thing, paid the three day overstay and extended the permission to stay for 30 days. But, it was many many years ago when the overstay was only 200 baht/day. I really don't think that you will have a problem, but, as we all know, it's up to the officer that you talk to.

Edited by wayned

Update: Thanks all for the advice - arrived at 9:30, asked one of the farang assistants there and he assured me it was just a matter of paying 1,500 baht for the 3 day overstay and the 30 day extension (another 1,900 baht) was granted from today's date - no concession given due to the office not being open on Saturday/Sunday. Finished by 11:00..

Note for next visit: go to get photo taken BEFORE any photocopying you need done, and get your photocopying done while waiting to get the developed photos - the lineup for photocopying looks longer but moves pretty fast.. there was quite a delay between getting the picture snapped and actually getting the developed photos, could have saved a bit of time there.

More important note: get 30 day extension BEFORE permission to stay date is gone by... :)