Need Help About Getting Visa In Vientiane

Hi there,

I am doing everything in a rush here so I appologise if this has been asked before. Basically last minute change of plans I am now fliyng to Vientiane in the morning and need some help about what I should do when I get there.

I need to get an non immigrant o visa which the man at the immigration said I should go here for. Can anyone tell me where I need to go or ask where to go when I get to the airport when I arrive? Do I have to stay over night as I am going to book the flights now I dont want to book one going there in the morning and one coming back the next afternoon without my visa being ready.

How much does it cost and also does anyone have any reccomendations on where I can stay? A nice, clean hotel.

Thank you for anyone who can help.

Cheers

Al

Oh I am from the UK if that makes any difference about where I need to go to get a visa?

How do you qualify for such a visa? Do you need single or multi entry?

Visa is apply in morning and receive next workday afternoon.

Cost is 2,000 baht single or 5,000 baht multi entry (which do not believe will be issued in Vientiane - Savannakhet a better option).

I doubt that would allow time - it is direct to Vientiane and not Udon? There is no need to exit country to obtain visa if you have the required 400k in bank account (which is needed for one year extension of stay) as Bangkok can convert to non immigrant O stay from what you currently have (if local immigration can not). But if you do not yet have proof of funds getting from a Consulate is your only option.

If you are in a hurry because your current stay is ending there would not be time to obtain inside Thailand but you could just exit and return to get a new visa exempt entry and then convert - but if traveling to Vientiane probably better to take extra days to obtain the non immigrant O there.

Dear Justice,

Please also be aware that some consulate will look at how many tourist visas are already in your passport, as may not issue sometimes. Especially when there are 2 or 3 consecutive visas in a row. I know back to some time ago in Vientiane it was an issue.

The immigration nowadays prefers to have non O stayers to insure they have funds.

Your flight schedule will not give you enough time to arrive and proceed unless you have no check in luggage and can go straight to the Thai consulate upon landing in Vientiane.

Cheers,

Dear Justice,

Please also be aware that some consulate will look at how many tourist visas are already in your passport, as may not issue sometimes. Especially when there are 2 or 3 consecutive visas in a row. I know back to some time ago in Vientiane it was an issue.

The immigration nowadays prefers to have non O stayers to insure they have funds.

Your flight schedule will not give you enough time to arrive and proceed unless you have no check in luggage and can go straight to the Thai consulate upon landing in Vientiane.

Cheers,

Thank you, I have 2 tourist visas in my passport, I came here in September 2010 and stayed until late March 2011 then came back late April 2011 and I have stayed here since with a 30 day and 60 day extension on top of my 6 month tourist visa.

I am planning on returning back to England in October with my wife and child so I dont really need a year passport, do they issue tourist visas there or not? I put off my flight last night after reading that, need to get a 6am flight, do you think that would give me enough time if I am there first thing then leave late at night the next day?

Thanks again

Al

With proof of marriage they might issue up to 3 entry as an alternative to non immigrant with understanding you plan to return to UK in October. If not you can make another visa trip later. I would think a 6 am flight would provide time enough.

With proof of marriage they might issue up to 3 entry as an alternative to non immigrant with understanding you plan to return to UK in October. If not you can make another visa trip later. I would think a 6 am flight would provide time enough.

Would laos be the best place to go or are there other countries where it is easier?

Fly to Udon, not Vientiane. Much cheaper - or take bus or train to Nong Khai. From Udon the Nong Khai bridge to Laos is only a 45 minute drive.

But if you are now overstay that might be taking a small chance so best to use Bangkok Airport if overstay now and KL would likely be a good destination.

i thought you could get a 1 year type O visa if you were married ? surely you should try and get one of those ?

i have looked at flights to KL and the times don't work out too well so extra time has to be spent in KL.

i read on a recent thread someone did manage to get a visa processed in one day but i think it's very rare.

With proof of 100k in a bank account and normal marriage certificate/wife id and home register copies it should be available and might be a good choice even if your current plans do not require a full year. Cost will be about 530-50 Ringit I believe. Service will be next day.

Hi again,

I decided in the end to go to KL. I went there this morning at 9:30 and by 10:30 I had a non immigrant o single entry visa. I was asked if I wanted a multiple one also but declined. All I needed was my passport, copie of wifes ID card, house book, wedding certificate and 2 photos oh and of course 200 ringit.

I pick up the passport in the afternoon and then back home at night, all very quick and easy.

Thank you all for the help and advice in this thread.

i'm just wondering why you didn't go for the 1 year multi ?

so now you have 3 months to put a lump sum in a thai bank and you can then extend this 3 month one to a 1 year one for 1900 baht ?

once you entend to 1 year you now just have to report to immigration instead of doing border runs ? any idea how much the reports cost ?

when you goto the uk in october will you need to get a re-entry permit ? 1000 baht ? if not does the extension close ?

the reason i ask is because i'm thinking of getting married.

i have a tpye o multi at the moment (based on thai child) and it's due to finish in may, i can't decide what's best to do.

i have a flight from chiang mai to KL booked already for may , i was planning to post my passport back to the u.k to get another 1 year multi.

ideally i should try and extend my current visa , i don't really want to get married but i'm thinking it maybe an option ?

Yes I pick it up tomorrow afternoon, I did not get it on the same day.

I didnt go for the multiple as I am planning on going back to England soon and I did think that if I applied for a multiple they may ask for proof of finances which I didnt have. I also have a contact in the immigration office who if I want to I can pay 15,000 baht to and I will be upgraded to a multiple entry withough need of proof of funds and instead of doing a border run I just go to him. Obviously this is not legit or the right way to go about things but I am planning on going back to the UK soon anyway so the single entry + 60 days extension for marridge should be enough.