Mazda Bt-50 Launched

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

went to autobuck today looking for the "orsam bulbs 80/100 off road" & they did not have it...I'm sure they are to be found in Bangkok but I'll appreciate any help saving me the time to look smile.png

here is a link

http://www.jpattanapart.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=osram&category_id=0&product_id=154

Edited by gosompoi
  • Like 1

I have the BT 50 3.2 4x4 and according to the brochure it has traction control. I can't find any mention of traction control in the handbook and mine always loses traction if I give it a bit of welly from the traffic lights. Does anyone know if it has traction control and how to engage it?

DSC! It is on unless you disengage it or when you use 4x4 low is automatically disengaged. In 4x4 high it has a light in your speedo to notify it has intervened. The button to turn it off is right below your a/c controls and next to the hill decent control switch. You also have limited slip which will lock if you use enough throttle. So example today in the rain I was in 4x4 high and went through a gavel and pot-hole section of road and the light on the speedo activated showing me it just kicked in.

The DSC supports stability when the
vehicle starts to slide away from your
intended path. This is performed by
braking individual wheels and reducing
engine torque as needed.
The system also provides an enhanced
traction control function by reducing
engine torque and braking if the wheels
spin when you accelerate. This improves
your ability to pull away on slippery roads
or loose surfaces, and improves comfort
by limiting wheel spin in tight turns.

I have the BT 50 3.2 4x4 and according to the brochure it has traction control. I can't find any mention of traction control in the handbook and mine always loses traction if I give it a bit of welly from the traffic lights. Does anyone know if it has traction control and how to engage it?

yep it is on when you turn on the ignition. see my previous post for more info.

The DSC warning lamp will flash when
the system is operating.

went to autobuck today looking for the "orsam bulbs 80/100 off road" & they did not have it...I'm sure they are to be found in Bangkok but I'll appreciate any help saving me the time to look smile.png

I had them EMS, they were quick to ship and amazing the difference. 1 year later still the best upgrade I have made and the cheapest.

went to autobuck today looking for the "orsam bulbs 80/100 off road" & they did not have it...I'm sure they are to be found in Bangkok but I'll appreciate any help saving me the time to look Posted Image

I had them EMS, they were quick to ship and amazing the difference. 1 year later still the best upgrade I have made and the cheapest.

Thnx for that...I put Philips "something vision" +100% for now...I'll order the orsam for my next bulb change :)

For the BT-50 owners out there:

A couple of weeks ago when I needed to buy a truck for our company, I test drove the BT-50 as well.. there's a lot to like about the Mazda but one thing I found annoying during the test-drive and that was that the steering does not self center again after a tight corner / U-turn. In the Hilux I didn't experience this. Is this common for BT-50's and Rangers alike?

A couple of weeks ago when I needed to buy a truck for our company, I test drove the BT-50 as well.. there's a lot to like about the Mazda but one thing I found annoying during the test-drive and that was that the steering does not self center again after a tight corner / U-turn. In the Hilux I didn't experience this. Is this common for BT-50's and Rangers alike?

Sounds like it's got one helluva loose rear diff..

No I can assure you this is not common or normal.

anyone knows a good place to install fitted projectors lens and bi-xenons for the bt-50?

I suggest before you go through the cost and hassles of Bi-xenons you try OSRAM off road bilux bulbs which more double the output for about 300 baht total. The headlights of the BT-50 are designed for halogen bulb light output pattern and xenons to not match well unless you also upgrade the headlight assemblies to projectors style which adds to the costs. The Bilux come in 80/100, 90/100 90/110 models. In thailand they all are legal and 80/100 and 90/100 are easy to find. I like the 80/100 because they are only 15 watts higher for the low-bead than normal high beam output but a huge difference. I can tell you it was like installing double the amount of bulbs for low beam and unbelievable 4 x the output for high beams. About 10-20 messages back is a link to order the bulbs which include a UV filter coating. I have been using them for one year and love them!

Edited by gosompoi
  • Like 2

anyone knows a good place to install fitted projectors lens and bi-xenons for the bt-50?

I suggest before you go through the cost and hassles of Bi-xenons you try OSRAM off road bilux bulbs which more double the output for about 300 baht total. The headlights of the BT-50 are designed for halogen bulb light output pattern and xenons to not match well unless you also upgrade the headlight assemblies to projectors style which adds to the costs. The Bilux come in 80/100, 90/100 90/110 models. In thailand they all are legal and 80/100 and 90/100 are easy to find. I like the 80/100 because they are only 15 watts higher for the low-bead than normal high beam output but a huge difference. I can tell you it was like installing double the amount of bulbs for low beam and unbelievable 4 x the output for high beams. About 10-20 messages back is a link to order the bulbs which include a UV filter coating. I have been using them for one year and love them!

Thanx I found the 90/110...gonna try it now :)

Thanx I found the 90/110...gonna try it now smile.png

be careful most of the Osram 90/110 bulbs are OSRAM Silverstar 55/65 watt with theoretical output and OSRAM off-road series are real output. The easiest to find in Thailand are the OFF ROAD OSRAM BILUX 90/100w. The bulbs will have etched on them OSRAM BILUX 90-100 UV filter.

That front will look very good creating a bow-wave when entering a flooded piece of road!

Besides that, the new Ranger, the new D-max and the new Vigo all look more or lesss the same in the front area, so this is at least different!

I have some love-hate feelings with the the new BT-50 design. I also like thats it is quite different to the competitors. The new Ford Ranger looks very good. Both are technical the same. The BT-50 should have a smoother back axle. I will decide when comparing interior design, accessories and price.

We already own the Mazda 3 and also looking for the future CX-5. I am very satisfied with the Mazda brand.

Well...for some time Ford put its brand on Mazda trucks...I was buying a Mazda car this year and I take a look to the trucks. I was surprise with its low price comparing with Toyota and Isuzu and specially Ford....and apparently are stronger. I hope this time will be 2 doors AT available.

Thanx I found the 90/110...gonna try it now Posted Image

be careful most of the Osram 90/110 bulbs are OSRAM Silverstar 55/65 watt with theoretical output and OSRAM off-road series are real output. The easiest to find in Thailand are the OFF ROAD OSRAM BILUX 90/100w. The bulbs will have etched on them OSRAM BILUX 90-100 UV filter.

yes you are right...that's what I gotpost-156282-13802612028_thumb.jpg
  • Like 1

yes you are right...that's what I gotattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1380261335.365567.jpg

Good job, let us know how they work out.

yes you are right...that's what I gotPosted ImageImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1380261335.365567.jpg
Good job, let us know how they work out.
they are great! I'm super happy with them ,no need for high beam what's so ever
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Its been a great reading all the good stuff on this forum. I had originally ordered a Ford Ranger 3.2 WT but with the waiting and

poor service from Ford and the positive stuff here made me change. From the moment I spoke to the Mazda sales man I know this was going

to be a good choice both he and the owner could not do enough to make us happy. So finally we are going to get our hands on the BT50 and

test it on our farm in Chumphon some serious tracks a hills to climb.

Edited by blowin
  • Like 1

Here is a small modification to change the auxiliary ports aka cigarette lighters to switch on with the ignition, rather than being permanently powered. Minimum effort, takes about 30 mins to build. That's mainly useful if you use a dashcam that should start recording when you start the car.

What it does is simply moving the power from the permanent 12V rails to the ignition rail in the front fuse box. Each of the auxiliary sockets has a separate fuse, so we take these out and plug an adapter with a separate fuse into their place.

I've made a small adapter with a built-in fuse (it's a 13A one from an old extension cord, any other ~10A type will do). There's a split to power the auxiliary socket in the back as well as the cigarette lighter in front. The third auxiliary port in front remains permanently powered if you want to charge your phone or anything else.

adapter.png

Now the tricky part was to find the right fuse positions.

The ignition power comes from F34 which is empty im my 2.2 ABS Mazda. You can also use F33 (both empty). There the single end goes in. Use the upper rail to plug in the cable!

The two split ends go then on the left into F20 (Cigarette Lighter) and F24 (Auxiliary socket in the back). The front socket would be F31. Take out the existing fuses, keep them somewhere to restore the original condition if necessary, and plug the adapter cable into the lower rail. Done.

fusebox.png

Please make sure there is proper contact and nothing hangs lose. Then it's time to try if it works. If all is ok, push the cables between the relays and close the fusebox cover.

I'm not sure if the fuses on the ignition rail are used in the 3.2l version, but I guess there is always some empty slot. This should also work for the Ranger.

Enjoy. And if you burn down your car, it's not my fault smile.png

Edited by MadMac

@gosompoi

Got the 80/100W bulps within 2 days from the shop you linked. Great tip and recommended!

In the meantime Mazda tried to cheat me with the foot mats that were in the contract. They even dared to call to give me some cheapest China shit, telling me that's all they have. I refused and told them I'll complain to Mazda Thailand. Got a call within 10 mins that they ordered the real stuff. Now waiting what it's going to be :)

Edited by MadMac

Here is a small modification to change the auxiliary ports aka cigarette lighters to switch on with the ignition, rather than being permanently powered. Minimum effort, takes about 30 mins to build. That's mainly useful if you use a dashcam that should start recording when you start the car.

What it does is simply moving the power from the permanent 12V rails to the ignition rail in the front fuse box. Each of the auxiliary sockets has a separate fuse, so we take these out and plug an adapter with a separate fuse into their place.

I've made a small adapter with a built-in fuse (it's a 13A one from an old extension cord, any other ~10A type will do). There's a split to power the auxiliary socket in the back as well as the cigarette lighter in front. The third auxiliary port in front remains permanently powered if you want to charge your phone or anything else.

adapter.png

The ignition power comes from F34 which is empty im my 2.2 ABS Mazda. You can also use F33 (both empty). There the single end goes in. Use the upper rail to plug in the cable!

The two split ends go then on the left into F20 (Cigarette Lighter) and F24 (Auxiliary socket in the back). The front socket would be F31. Take out the existing fuses, keep them somewhere to restore the original condition if necessary, and plug the adapter cable into the lower rail. Done.

fusebox.png

Please make sure there is proper contact and nothing hangs lose. Then it's time to try if it works. If all is ok, push the cables between the relays and close the fusebox cover.

I'm not sure if the fuses on the ignition rail are used in the 3.2l version, but I guess there is always some empty slot. This should also work for the Ranger.

The problem is that some dashcams have a parking mode record function that requires a permanent feed to enable it to work.

adapter.png

fusebox.png

I have a dash camera and I powered it off the automatic dimming mirror +12 and -12 for dome light. My dash camera needs .3amp with screen off and .5amp with screen on. The dimming mirror +12 is IGN powered, so it powers on when you start the truck.